PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 most explosive athletes

Rain City
04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
This is a list made up of the most explosive, twitched up athletes we have seen. The best combination of height, weight, burst, speed, strength, and vertical. To be able to harness the explosiveness with a level of agility and body control also counts. They must have legitimate pro careers, not combine kings, not the coulda beens, but guys that had explosiveness show up in the arena. Also, I am throwing out strictly track athletes, it makes the argument too convaluted.

All Time
1. Bo Jackson (I cant fathom someone topping him, 230lbs 4.2speed, tremendous power runner/ hitter, arm strength)
2. Jim Brown (230lbs with world class speed, dominated multiple sports, turn on his tapes and he could be an all pro today!)
3. Wilt Chamberlain (7ft 1 dominant big man who was all american track athlete)
4. Lebron James (Gotta be the most explosive athlete today, could argue that he is #2, 260lbs, and quick as anyone in the NBA).
5. Mickey Mantle (The Mick had legendary speed early on, and powerful bat from both sides, and arm)
6. Deion Sanders (Only average size but he was so fast he made others look slow, he used his explosiveness to dominant, and playing 2 sports is a bonus)
7. [B]Mike Tyson (Unreal punching power in his day, he had to make the list)
8. [B]Shaquille O'neal (In his day he was 7ft1 300+lbs chiseled and not a lick of awkwardness, except shooting free throws. who else can match?)
9. [B]Randy Moss (Most explosive vertical threat NFL has ever seen)
10.[B]Michael Jordan (I wasnt going to do it but in his early days MJ owned the quickest first step and phenomenal lift and hang time)

Honorable mention- Michael Vick, Allen Iverson, Barry Sanders, Karl Malone, Shawn Kemp, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Dwight Howard, Rickey Henderson, Ken Griffey jr, Alex Rodriguez, Gayle Sayers.

Today
1. [B]Lebron James
2. [B]Blake Griffin (6ft10 250lbs and looks like he could be a serious track athlete)
3. [B]Dwight Howard (6ft11 270lb, chiseled gazelle)
4. Calvin Johnson (6ft6 240lb, 4.3 40, tremendous leaper, and it all shows up on Sundays).
5.Derrick Rose (First step, change of direction, and burst with control are 2nd to none)
6. Russell Westbrook (Almost identical to D Rose as an athlete)
7. Michael Vick (He is almost impossible to keep from getting to the outside when he wants to.)
8. Ndamakung Suh (6ft4 305lbs and doesnt look a pound overweight, he had an off year but to me he is still a top 10 most explosive athlete today).
9. Matt Kemp (Gotta find room for baseball's premier 5 tool player, he legitimately belongs on this list, going for 50-50 this year.)
10. Rajon Rondo (I think he is today's most deceptively explosive athlete, kinda like Deion did, he makes others look slow, he gets to wherever he wants on the floor).

Honorable Mention- Desean Jackson, Chris Johnson, Michael Stanton, Troy Polamalu, Mario Williams, Jared Allen, Rob Gronkowski, Von Miller, Julius Peppers, Jason Pierre-Paul, Cam Newton, Reggie Bush, Dwayne Wade, John Wall, Michael Conley jr, Bismack Biyombo, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez.

celtNYpatsHeels
04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
So you have 3 NFL players on your list and neither are Adrian Peterson, Lesean McCoy, Ray Rice, Ryan Matthews, Stephen Jackson, Roddy White, Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin, Victor Cruz, Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant??????

I'll take all of those guys over #5-10

ThuglifeJ
04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Kemp. Carter.

THE MTL
04-04-2012, 05:32 PM
You know I would love to see how Wilt Chamberlain would fair in the NBA in today's day-and-age. He wouldnt have half of those records that he possesses. I think Shaq and Hakeem would take him.

Especially, Bill Russell. I would compare him to a slightly better prime Ben Wallace.

felixng2012
04-04-2012, 05:41 PM
You know I would love to see how Wilt Chamberlain would fair in the NBA in today's day-and-age. He wouldnt have half of those records that he possesses. I think Shaq and Hakeem would take him.

Especially, Bill Russell. I would compare him to a slightly better prime Ben Wallace.

Agreed Wilt was a beast during his time and would still be a great NBA player today but he is a bit overrated. Also he was a bit of a choker like a certain self proclaimed ringless king(though not as bad in my opinion). :rolleyes:
I think he would be better than Howard but like you said Shaq and Hakeem can probably handle him.

monzternipz12
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I think this thread should be separated into each sport. You can't compare baseball to football. An explosive athlete would need different strengths btwn baseball, basketball, or football. Plus, hockey should be considered more. Hockey is a really hard sport to excel in.

FrenchSunsFan
04-04-2012, 05:48 PM
And James White ???

"Bo Jackson (I cant fathom someone topping him, 230lbs 4.2speed, tremendous power runner/ hitter, arm strength)"

Jonah Lomu 6"5 , 276 lbs who runned the 100m in 10.8s .

knicks=love
04-04-2012, 05:49 PM
comparison forum..? :shrug:

conway429
04-04-2012, 06:00 PM
All your point guards are just really quick.
When your criteria included weight and strength, how is Rondo ahead of guys like Peppers and JPP?

sep11ie
04-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Watch videos of Lynn Swann's catches.

Rain City
04-04-2012, 06:09 PM
So you have 3 NFL players on your list and neither are Adrian Peterson, Lesean McCoy, Ray Rice, Ryan Matthews, Stephen Jackson, Roddy White, Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin, Victor Cruz, Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant??????

I'll take all of those guys over #5-10

So i didnt put a tremendous amount of analization into this list but thought it would be a interesting discussion and probably would be more accurate broked down by sport.

As far as todays athletes you can definitely consider Percy Harvin, and Lesean McCoy, I see Adrian Peterson as a really good, complete back with good explosion but not quite making the cut, I just dont see jaw dropping explosion that these other guys have. Ray Rice maybe because he is the premier stop and go rb and that takes incredible explosiveness.

Also, I shoulda mentioned Nolan Ryan, greatest power pitcher of all time, which makes him a very explosive athlete. Bruce Smith, Ray Lewis and Junior Seau were also very big, strong, sudden athletes but Ray might get more help from his sense of awareness rather than explosion, but in his prime he won every collision he was apart of. Also, Vince Carter and Nique should at least get honorable mention.

Lakeshow24KB
04-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Why isn't Iggy even in the honorable mention?
Rudy Gay?

Klivlend
04-04-2012, 06:30 PM
How the F is Mickey Mantle on the all-time list?

I don't think bat speed/power or arm strength = explosive

airforceones25
04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Pavel Bure "The Russian Rocket? Teemu Selanne "The Finnish Flash? More recently Alexander Ovechkin...

Hockey gets no respect! =/

Fnom11
04-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't think there's ever been a athlete on Lebron's level. 6'8", 260 pounds, 40" vert, 4.4s in the 40, and we don't even need to talk about his strength. The guy is a modern marvel.

boogie-reke
04-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Russel Westbrook.

allSUAVE
04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
1a lebron
1b Blake griffin

Rest don't matter

albertc86
04-05-2012, 03:19 PM
When I think "explosive", basketball isn't the first sport that comes to mind. Football should own that category almost completely. And baseball players wouldn't be on that list. Just my opinion.

Yes, LeBron and Dwight are freak athletes, but in comparison to football players, they don't hold a candle to the top players in the NFL in terms of speed and overall strength. Prime Shaq is deserving though.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Vince Carter and Shawn Kemp

mike44
04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Gotta have Hershel Walker on there.