PDA

View Full Version : "Tiago Splitter sets the best picks in the game" - Skip Bayless

airronijordan
04-04-2012, 11:42 AM
I think that's definitely on top of the list as the funniest things that skip has ever said

And spurs fans, Is splitter a really good screener?

Bring The Heat
04-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Haha I was just watching that on 1st take. I was lmao when Stephen A Smith just bursted out laughing uncontrollably. Skip Bayless says the most random things

Cal827
04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Anyone else as sure as I am that Skip Bayless Injects Cocaine into his eyeballs, and his ballsack before going on ESPN? :facepalm:

Raps08-09 Champ
04-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I think that's definitely on top of the list as the funniest things that skip has ever said

If you don't even know how good he is, how can you say that it is funny?

Celticsfan2007
04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm not saying he is or he isn't... but its not completely crazy to think he could set the best screens in basketball :shrug:

This is actually probably one of the smartest things Skip Bayless has ever said.

airronijordan
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM

If you don't even know how good he is, how can you say that it is funny?

It's funny bc it was completely random. I didn't say it was one of the dumbest things he ever said.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
I always liked how Jeffries set screens, however, I havent watched enough of other teams to really judge.

unleashthebeast
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I have to admit, I was laughing pretty hard at this while I was watching. Not because it was idiotic (because I have no idea whether or not he is a good screen setter, I haven't watched it enough), but because Skip transitioned to Tiago being one of the integral pieces of the spurs that will help them win a title, to his justification being that he is a great screen setter. Pretty hilarious stuff :laugh2:

pebloemer
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I haven't watched any Spurs games this year and didn't see Splitter much last year when I did see some Spurs games. Can any Spurs fans comment on Splitter's ability to set screens?

It is an interesting comment, not sure why it is funny though.

John Walls Era
04-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Skip Bayless is a legend. He trolls and still gets people to latch onto his every word.

For the record I usually try to watch or download the podcast. Skip Bayless isnt as big a ****** as people think, sometimes his points make sense

shep33
04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Tyson Chandler says hello

thekmp211
04-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Skip Bayless is a legend. He trolls and still gets people to latch onto his every word.

For the record I usually try to watch or download the podcast. Skip Bayless isnt as big a ****** as people think, sometimes his points make sense

he's actually amazing. genius entertainer. i'm a skip convert cause of first take.

even better is the way stephen a. says tiago splitter.

tiahhhgoooh spluhhitteh?!?

kdspurman
04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
He's not the best. He's pretty darn good at it. But Manu/TP make him look good as well. He rolls to the basket very well, and is usually automatic finishing at the rim.

But the best? Certainly not. Skip gets paid to cause a stir. He does his job well.

Stephen A. always hates on the Spurs. He's been saying they have no shot to win the West, and makes it seem as OKC is unbeatable at times.

JasonJohnHorn
04-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Skip an idiot! Everybody know the quality of the screen completely depends on the player using the screen. Do they push should to should with the screen, or leave space for the defender to get through.

So Skip basically says Splitter does a great job of standing still.... ok. Thanks for that update, but pretty much every big man in the league knows how to set a screen. Like I said, the effectiveness of a screen is all about the guy using the screen, not the guy setting the screen.

Sadds The Gr8
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Bayless is the ****in man

thekmp211
04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Skip an idiot! Everybody know the quality of the screen completely depends on the player using the screen. Do they push should to should with the screen, or leave space for the defender to get through.

So Skip basically says Splitter does a great job of standing still.... ok. Thanks for that update, but pretty much every big man in the league knows how to set a screen. Like I said, the effectiveness of a screen is all about the guy using the screen, not the guy setting the screen.

well, now i don't neccessarily agree with that. footwork, timing, hardness of pick and time of release to roll/pop are all things that big men do with varying levels of skill. a shooting screener also adds to the potential effectiveness of the pick and roll. so i would agree that it is MOSTLY contingent on the screen-user, but that there are absolutely degrees of skill when it comes to setting screens.

Lab Rat Robby
04-04-2012, 01:22 PM
as a spurs fan. tiago's picks look a little moving screenish to me. i dare say moving screen is no called right up there with traveling. he exploits it very well. his roll to the basket post-screen is beautiful, and most often results in 2 points.

Giraffes Rule
04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
I dunno how you can say who is the best at setting screens, but Splitter is fantastic in the pick n roll. Sets great screens and knows where to position himself to get easy baskets.

I don't know what the context was, but if his point was that Splitter is an integral part of the Spurs success then he's exactly right. The Spurs offense is a lot of pick n rolls and passing, and Splitter does a great job fitting into that.

celtNYpatsHeels
04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Buford/Popovich strike again!!!!

Patman
04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I dunno how you can say who is the best at setting screens, but Splitter is fantastic in the pick n roll. Sets great screens and knows where to position himself to get easy baskets.

I don't know what the context was, but if his point was that Splitter is an integral part of the Spurs success then he's exactly right. The Spurs offense is a lot of pick n rolls and passing, and Splitter does a great job fitting into that.

Yeah I don't know if he is the best, but the guy knows how to set screens. He's a very good role man on the Pick and Roll, his timing when to roll and slip the screen is great. Yes Manu/Tp make him look good, but even Neal could run a good P'n'R with him. The Spurs coaching staff and players seem to very impressed with his work as screener. The guy really hustles to get to the spot for his screens.

I personally think Bayless is an Idiot and just says stuff like that to get attention, even though he may have a point here. But i wouldn't go as far as calling him the best screener in the game.

Joshtd1
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Yea not sure how you determine who sets the best, but out of almost everyone I've seen so far this year and last year (Splitter's two years in league) he is certainly one of the most effective players I've seen in the pick and roll based on his ability to actually roll quick, and know what spot to be in, along with Manu/TP being able to get him the ball. There's a reason he is shooting as high a % he is.

JayW_1023
04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I think Fab-O was smarter as a screener, but Split makes up for it with a much better offensive game and athleticism.

Rain City
04-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Sets the best screens in the game?....That is so random, I dont know how a non player can really weigh in on this.....bottomline, NBA players and maybe coaches are the only fair judges in this argument.....Skip has very little credibility especially when talking NBA, but we all knew that right.

Cfrey
04-04-2012, 03:07 PM
i have inside sources that tell me skip does a line of coke before every show

Blitzbolt
04-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Skip says Splitter is better then Marc Gasol.

thekmp211
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I think Fab-O was smarter as a screener, but Split makes up for it with a much better offensive game and athleticism.

ooo... nice. oberto was indeed a grimy player, good call.

Joshtd1
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Skip says Splitter is better then Marc Gasol.

I think if Splitter played as much as Gasol he would be better too.

Blitzbolt
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I think if Splitter played as much as Gasol he would be better too.

Come on Bro your not gonna go there.

kjoke
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
he's actually amazing. genius entertainer. i'm a skip convert cause of first take.

even better is the way stephen a. says tiago splitter.

tiahhhgoooh spluhhitteh?!?

:clap:

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
In nearly every area, Tiago Splitter has been very productive in his sophomore season. His averages of 9.2 points and 5.1 rebounds in 19.8 minutes per game are extremely impressive. His PER (19.8) and field goal percentage (60.2%) have been great. Splitter has shown very good improvements in free throw percentage (up 23.8%), assists (up 69.2%) and blocks (up 87.5%). Offensively, he's one of the very best in the world at running pick-and-rolls. His screens are strong and his rolls to the hoop are perfectly executed. Splitter also shows talent on the low block. Not only can he score around the basket, he's also a very good inside-out passer. Defensively, Splitter defends well on the block, protects the rim and has enough quickness to survive out on the perimeter when it's needed.

I wouldn't say "Master Splitter" is as good as Marc Gasol, but it's not as far fetched as people think. What Bayless said hold truth, Stephen A Smith talks out of his ***. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even watch games.

Hawkeye15
04-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Tyson Chandler says hello

as does Pekovic.

iam brett favre
04-04-2012, 04:57 PM

No. Don't even try to make Skip Bayless, or you liking him, cool.
Its a shame that he gets paid as much as he does to literally just say the opposite of popular opinion.

MMando
04-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Jon Brockman > Tiago Splitter

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Jon Brockman > Tiago Splitter

lol :facepalm:

Joshtd1
04-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Come on Bro your not gonna go there.

Give him 35 + minutes a game and hes a 15-10 player, and more efficient.

Raph12
04-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Big Baby says hi, can't even remember the number of people he has laid out with that big screen of his...

Blitzbolt
04-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Give him 35 + minutes a game and hes a 15-10 player, and more efficient.

Give Marc Gasol Pops Manu and Parker and his numbers would go up.Take way Parker Manu/Pops and Duncan from Splitter and his is just a scrub.

John Walls Era
04-04-2012, 05:18 PM
No. Don't even try to make Skip Bayless, or you liking him, cool.
Its a shame that he gets paid as much as he does to literally just say the opposite of popular opinion.

no he really doesn't. And I don't like Skip Bayless.

joeboow90
04-04-2012, 05:22 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

One of the dumbest things I've ever heard this dude say....He really should be banned from talking about the NBA he knows nothing

obie
04-04-2012, 05:26 PM
if you've ever played any level of basketball and had someone who knows how to time and angle their screens well enough for you to take one step and shoot or take one step and have a clear lane, you wouldn't think it's a funny statement

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-04-2012, 05:28 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

One of the dumbest things I've ever heard this dude say....He really should be banned from talking about the NBA he knows nothing

So, you don't agree with his comment? Why isn't Splitter one of the best?

Joshtd1
04-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Give Marc Gasol Pops Manu and Parker and his numbers would go up.Take way Parker Manu/Pops and Duncan from Splitter and his is just a scrub.

How is he just a scrub? He can post up, one of the better pick and roll players, and is a damn good defender. Good rebounder. He already puts up 9 and 5 in a crowded front court where he plays the least amount of the bigs besides Blair, and is usually the 3rd option on the court. Only gets 20 minutes a game

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-04-2012, 05:29 PM
if you've ever played any level of basketball and had someone who knows how to time and angle their screens well enough for you to take one step and shoot or take one step and have a clear lane, you wouldn't think it's a funny statement

QFT :clap:

Joshtd1
04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
By the way, Tiago is ranked #2 in the NBA in PPP (points per possession) and scores 69% of the time in pick and roll situations. So its not as ludicrous as what Bayless says.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Shows how illinformed you actually are. Tiago rarely plays with Tim Duncan or Tony Parker. He comes in off the bench and is usually running the PnR with TJ Ford (before he retired) and Gar Neal. Ginobili has been hurt for most of the season anyway. It is true that Parker and Manu make it look easier, but Splitter (like Gasol) was a great player before the Spurs. He won MVP over in Europe.

People should actually watch the dude play before making radical statements about him.

Blitzbolt
04-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Shows how illinformed you actually are. Tiago rarely plays with Tim Duncan or Tony Parker. He comes in off the bench and is usually running the PnR with TJ Ford (before he retired) and Gar Neal. Ginobili has been hurt for most of the season anyway. It is true that Parker and Manu make it look easier, but Splitter (like Gasol) was a great player before the Spurs. He won MVP over in Europe.

People should actually watch the dude play before making radical statements about him.

You just made my point Splitter has no pressure he is not the first option for his team Marc Gasol is the first Option(right now)And The Grizzlies depend on him to get Ws while getting double team every night saying Splitter is better then Marc Gasol is just ridiculous.

NYKalltheway
04-05-2012, 11:43 PM
It's called the PEK and roll... but yeah, Splitter is great too

boogie-reke
04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
For the question/title : Nick Collison. although when you're constantly allowed to break without getting calls it makes you good at it too - so you can add KG in the mix, the cheatin bastard.

Splitter is one of the most underrated players in the league though - Spurs gotta let him out of his cage next year or in the playoffs, cause this dude is one heck of a center and just needs the minutes to proove he's a quality starting center in this league.

He produces so much in the short minutes he's given everytime I see them play, I can't understand why doesn't he see more minutes, atleast 25+ should be the minimum.. I mean Pop wants to take the pressure off Timmy as is, no?

Is he trying to "hide" him? I don't get it. he better play alot next year, that's all I got to say. my early candidate for MIP 2013.

NoahH
04-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Yeah Spurs will win the Championship and Tiago Splitter will win MVP because of his picks

Joshtd1
04-06-2012, 04:07 AM
For the question/title : Nick Collison. although when you're constantly allowed to break without getting calls it makes you good at it too - so you can add KG in the mix, the cheatin bastard.

Splitter is one of the most underrated players in the league though - Spurs gotta let him out of his cage next year or in the playoffs, cause this dude is one heck of a center and just needs the minutes to proove he's a quality starting center in this league.

He produces so much in the short minutes he's given everytime I see them play, I can't understand why doesn't he see more minutes, atleast 25+ should be the minimum.. I mean Pop wants to take the pressure off Timmy as is, no?

Is he trying to "hide" him? I don't get it. he better play alot next year, that's all I got to say. my early candidate for MIP 2013.

Well Pop views Splitter as a center, and doesn't ever really play Tim and Tiago together. If he does that it means that Bonner and Blair will be on the court together at some point, and history has showed that is just a disaster waiting to happen. He usually has Bonner and Splitter playing or Duncan and Splitter.

I also think another reason is that Pop thinks Splitter is fragile since he has had a few injuries throughout the first couple of seasons and doesn't want to over play him..which I hope isn't true.