PDA

View Full Version : Nash interested in 3 year deal

spreadeagle
04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
He will play until hes 50 im now convinced

With the Phoenix Suns clinging to their playoff lives in the Western Conference, star point guard Steve Nash insists his back feels "the best it's felt in a decade."

Nash, who turned 38 in February, also told ESPN.com in a phone interview before Tuesday night's game in Sacramento he intends to "sign for three more years this summer" and play beyond his 40th birthday when he either inks a new deal to stay with the Suns or finds a new team via free agency.

Nash
Nash

Responding to a New York Post report in Tuesday's editions which described the condition of Nash's back as "bad as it has ever been," Nash strongly disputed such suggestions. He expressed great satisfaction with the way his health has held up through the rigors of a lockout-compacted schedule that called for 66 regular-season games in a span of about 120 days.

"It's been my best year physically from start to finish in a long time," Nash said. "Other than a little tweak (last week) against San Antonio, my back's been pretty close to 100 percent."

The Post report noted that Nash has taken more than eight shots only once in his past 10 games and pinpointed back issues as the reason why Nash's field-goal attempts are down.

Nash, though, says the overwhelming attention he gets from opposing defenses -- on a team with no scorer adept at creating his own shot and no one averaging more than center Marcin Gortat's 16.1 points per game -- is the only factor keeping his shot totals in single digits.

"Maybe I could be more aggressive looking for my shot, but every team we play traps me (frequently) or (jumps) out hard at me on the pick-and-roll," Nash said. "So my thinking is, 'Get it out of my hands as fast as possible and it's four on three or three on two for my teammates.' It seems to be working. We've been playing a lot better (since the All-Star break). I'm not just going to be forcing up shots to improve my numbers."

Despite the recent back "tweak" he mentioned, Nash logged 35 minutes on Sunday in a home win over New Orleans. Nash tallied 14 assists to go with four points to maintain his edge on Boston's Rajon Rondo for the NBA assist lead. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it was the third time in a span of 10 days that both Nash and Rondo notched at least 14 assists on the same day.

Nash has missed only four games this season for the Suns (26-26) and is averaging 12.7 points and 11.3 assists. The two-time former MVP was named an All-Star in February for the eighth time in his 16-year career.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7771867/phoenix-suns-steve-nash-says-back-feels-great-intends-sign-three-year-deal-summer

thekmp211
04-03-2012, 11:55 PM
as silly as it sounds, i don't see the problem. what an incredible athlete.

CudiOnMyiPod
Come to Dallas! If Deron doesn't come!

justinnum1
Sure, heat can offer him a mini mle of 3years 3mil:)

Avenged
04-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Dude can probably play until 50 too..

More-Than-Most
04-04-2012, 12:04 AM
He is amazing

spreadeagle
04-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Im always waiting for someone like Nash or Juwan Howard to have a kid like Austin Rivers and have to play against each other in a NBA game...wouldnt that be crazy

GunFactor187
04-04-2012, 12:09 AM
He'll retire at age 60.

deaner
04-04-2012, 12:09 AM
3 years in Toronto. I think there's a very good chance.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2012, 12:10 AM
if he accepts a 2+1 ( team option) for VETS minimum, is a sure shot for any contender.

HouRealCoach
04-04-2012, 12:43 AM
I hope he chooses to go where he can get a ring

TylerSL
04-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Steve Nash is probably my absolute favorite player that isnt on the Heat, I would love you in Miami Nash!!!!!!!!

ewing
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
3 years in Toronto. I think there's a very good chance.

If he leaves Phx it will be for a team better then Phx

king4day
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
If he doesn't stay with Phoenix, I want him in Miami or OKC. That's as good a shot as he'll have to win a title.

Antwerp_nr1
04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
imagin him with OKC, westbrook to nr 2. Harden off the bench. :jumpy:

michigan2489
04-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Would love to see him in a Raptors jersey next year, but lets be realistic, Nash will only leave Pheonix id he get a ring, Miami and OKC will give him the best chance. Would be nice to see him in Dallas again but just dont see them being up there next year.

Marlin234
04-04-2012, 09:56 AM
He comes to Miami he starting.. In OKC he's coming off the bench. We shall see what happens

ManningToTyree
04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
He can play forever, he is in incredible shape.

For some reason I think he stays in PHX. Maybe back to Dallas if they lose out on D-Will

justinnum1
04-04-2012, 10:28 AM
He comes to Miami he starting.. In OKC he's coming off the bench. We shall see what happens

idk, i can see them moving westrook to the 2 for nash, but i want him here:D

Shmontaine
04-04-2012, 10:42 AM
This points to him staying in phx IMO... they will give him something like a 3yr/18m deal that no one will match...

pebloemer
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
This points to him staying in phx IMO... they will give him something like a 3yr/18m deal that no one will match...

I can see that Raptor's easily offering 3 years 30 million. They'll make it all back in revenue and the Raptor's have the cap space to do so.

ManRam
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Says his back is as good as it's been in a decade...so why not? It's not like he's dropped off much...

If he's not playing in PHX, it will be for a contender. Miami would be the perfect fit. OKC would be great too.

Shmontaine
04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I can see that Raptor's easily offering 3 years 30 million. They'll make it all back in revenue and the Raptor's have the cap space to do so.

i can't

nash got a 6yr/63 mil dollar deal from phx, then a 2yr/22 mil extension... for basically a 8 year average of 10.625 mil annually...

now, at 38, he's going to sign a contract that gets him 10 mil annually?

i guess it's possible, but i don't see it happening...

Shmontaine
04-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Says his back is as good as it's been in a decade...so why not? It's not like he's dropped off much...

If he's not playing in PHX, it will be for money.

fify...

ChiSox219
04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Bulls for full MLE is straight with me

Shmontaine
04-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Bulls for full MLE is straight with me

play the 2 guard??

nash and drose need the ball...

pebloemer
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
i can't

nash got a 6yr/63 mil dollar deal from phx, then a 2yr/22 mil extension... for basically a 8 year average of 10.625 mil annually...

now, at 38, he's going to sign a contract that gets him 10 mil annually?

i guess it's possible, but i don't see it happening...

I'm curious to see what happens, but I definitely see Toronto being interested. He has a relationship with Colangelo. Business would be huge for the company. PG has been noted as an area of need and taking a PG as high up in the draft as Toronto will be would be a big reach in this draft.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see a big offer on the table from Toronto. I could see a guy like Cuban offering a significant deal as well if they can't get Deron.

Now what does Nash want? That's the big question. There are teams that can offer him big money and teams that can help carry him to a championship. Add in another elite PG in DWill also hitting the market and it could be a very interesting summer for PG negotiations around the NBA.

AceMan
04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Honestly I think Westbrook is more of a natural 2 than point guard. Imagine a crunch time 5 of Nash-Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Ibaka. Unstoppable.

ChiSox219
04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
play the 2 guard??

nash and drose need the ball...

Rose would guard 2s and bulls run with 2 PGs on offense, Nash would have the ball more in Chicago than Miami or OKC

Rain City
04-04-2012, 12:30 PM
I think he has 3 years left in him, unbelievable, one of a kind athlete, guys that are great shooters and passers have keep their value, his d is pretty bad but I still think he could probably START 3 years and be decent.

Shadowplay
04-04-2012, 12:34 PM
If Nash doesn't return to Phoenix, I wouldn't mind seeing him play for a contender like OKC or Dallas if they can't get DWill.

TheNumber37
04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
thunder, please.

kjdills13
04-04-2012, 12:47 PM
why has nobody said Orlando, Howard wants to play with him, they would have a very good team with the addition of nash, and the team fits nash's style of play.

nash/nelson
Richardson/reddick
Hedo/?
Anderson/Baby Davis
Howard/ ?

then let nash run his pick and roll offense, look at all those shooters, then nash and howard running the pick and roll. That would be a team i would not want to play. At tiems they could play

nash
reddick
Richardson
Anderson
Howard.

thats 4 people who can shoot 40% from beyond the arc! I think that magic team could compete with anyone in the nba.

king4day
04-04-2012, 01:07 PM
With the sponsers he'll get, I'm sure he'd go to a team like Miami for the full MLE. They'd have a big 4 then. If they can mesh, I can't see how it wouldn't lead to a title.

king4day
04-04-2012, 01:08 PM
why has nobody said Orlando, Howard wants to play with him, they would have a very good team with the addition of nash, and the team fits nash's style of play.

I could see Hill go there along with him should Nash decide on Orlando.

JasonJohnHorn
04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Best spot for him is LA Lakers or Miami Heat. With double teams going out to the likes of Bosh, Wade, James, Bryant Gasol and Bynum, he's going to have a lot of open looks, which with his shooting is going to kill opposing teams. LA is the better fit because Miami has two ball-handlers on the floor already in Wade and James, so Nash would essentially become a shooting-point guard, which he would still be very effective as.

Right now he is leading the league in assists, even at his age, so he is obviously still playing at a very high level. Imagine if he actually had talent to play with?

Raps18-19 Champ
04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
He's better than over a 3rd of the PG's in the NBA.

I wouldn't hold it against him if he wanted to play until 50.

Ebbs
04-04-2012, 02:38 PM
A small thunder team in transition of:

Nash - Westbrook - Harden - Durant - Ibaka would be unguardable

Burkey3472
04-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Guy can still play so why not ask for a 3 year deal

mdm692
04-04-2012, 02:56 PM

this would be a perfect scenario for him. The only way him in mia works is if a.) he becomes a jumpshooter or b.) lebron and wade drastically improve their off-ball movement and let nash control the tempo. Which i dont know if the ego of wade and bron would allow, heck let alone bosh but it would be something.

mdm692
04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
I hate the lakers as much as anybody here but
Nash/sessio
Kobe/fa(bring nack brown lol)
Hill/??
Pau/troy??
Bynum/mc roberts??

masTOR_shake1
04-04-2012, 03:03 PM
he is a freak athlete. I once has a substitute teacher who was a scrub or invitee on canada's national team and he said nash would run sprints longer than the other guys could run at half pace. what an animal.

shep33
04-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I hate the lakers as much as anybody here but
Nash/sessio
Kobe/fa(bring nack brown lol)
Hill/??
Pau/troy??
Bynum/mc roberts??

It'd be interesting. I don't know if the Lakers would give him a 3 year deal in all truth though. In 2014 the Lakers have nobody under contract, and that just happens to be one of the biggest free agencies in NBA history.

dtmagnet
04-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Well, he can probably play for another 5 years if he wants. I know the Raptors will be calling offering him some big money.

felixng2012
04-04-2012, 05:59 PM

This would be absolutely insane. :speechless:
OKC would be too good.

FrenchSunsFan
04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I think he ll resign with the Suns and asking a trade with the Heat , he can't leave us for none.

justinnum1
04-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I think he ll resign with the Suns and asking a trade with the Heat , he can't leave us for none.

If bosh does bad in the playoffs, i can see a nash and gortat for bosh trade

smith&wesson
04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
he is still playing at a high level. no doubt .

ManningToTyree
04-04-2012, 06:59 PM

nash/nelson
Richardson/reddick
Hedo/?
Anderson/Baby Davis
Howard/ ?

then let nash run his pick and roll offense, look at all those shooters, then nash and howard running the pick and roll. That would be a team i would not want to play. At tiems they could play

nash
reddick
Richardson
Anderson
Howard.

thats 4 people who can shoot 40% from beyond the arc! I think that magic team could compete with anyone in the nba.

Good point. I didn't think of Orlando. I could see that as well

AZCardsFan
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
As a Sun's fan I pray to god he doesn't resign... Nash deserves better.

beliges
04-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Surely one of the top 10 PGs to ever play the game. One of the greatest shooters of all time. Dude is so clutch. One of the few old school players left. Hes a dying breed.