PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bynum Fined by Lakers

LakeShowRaider
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7771310/sources-los-angeles-lakers-andrew-bynum-fined-undisclosed-amount-numerous-infractions

Thoughts?

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum might not have attempted any more 3-pointers after being benched last week, but his team's disciplinary actions against him didn't end there.

Bynum recently was fined an undisclosed amount for "numerous infractions," multiple sources confirmed to ESPNLosAngeles.com. One of the stunts that warranted the fine from the team was Bynum blowing off a meeting with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak.

Bynum
Bynum

Bynum told ESPNLosAngeles.com he was unaware of the fine before getting into his car outside the Lakers practice facility and driving away after the team's shootaround in preparation for their game against the New Jersey Nets on Tuesday.

Bynum did tell the website, though, he will not play in Tuesday night's game after suffering a moderate sprain of his left ankle in the first quarter of a game against the Golden State Warriors on Sunday.

The sprain did not require an MRI on Monday and X-rays on Bynum's ankle were negative, but Bynum did not participate in the Lakers' shootaround on Tuesday. Bynum used the shootaround time for treatment, which included anti-inflammatory medicine.

Lakers coach Mike Brown had said Bynum's status would be a game-time decision.

"I can't play," Bynum said while wearing tape around his left ankle. "Hopefully (Wednesday against the Clippers)."

While Bynum never has been better on the court, averaging career highs in points (17.9) and rebounds (11.9) per game to go along with 2.0 blocks and the second best field goal percentage in the league (58.1 percent), he increasingly has been difficult off it since playing in his first All-Star Game in February.

The seven-year veteran mixed his messages Saturday after scoring 17 of his 19 points after halftime in the Lakers' 88-85 win over the New Orleans Hornets.

Bynum first said, "I need some more shots, I think," when asked about his slow start. He then changed his tune and said he got enough touches and was simply trying to rack up 10 assists so he was passing more. He finished with two assists.

He was later asked a question about Kobe Bryant's demeanor during timeouts as Bryant struggled through a 3 for 21 shooting game and Bynum pled ignorance.

"I don't take part in the huddles," Bynum said. "I'm resting ... getting my Zen on."

Bynum was ejected from a recent game in Houston after picking up his second technical foul and rather than leaving the court quickly slapped hands with fans sitting courtside before making his exit.

More on the Lakers

For more news and notes on the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky brothers. Blog

The 7-footer, who missed an average of 31 games a season because of injuries from 2007-11, has stayed remarkably healthy this season.

Bynum played in the Lakers' last 49 games after sitting out the first four games of the season while serving a suspension for the hit he made on J.J. Barea in last year's Western Conference semifinals against the Dallas Mavericks.

Brown said either Josh McRoberts or Troy Murphy would take Bynum's place at power forward in the starting lineup if Bynum was unable to play, shifting Pau Gasol to center.

Ebbs
04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
thought this was coming.

I hope he gives his head a shake. He can be the best

waveycrockett
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Andrew Bynum shouldn't be fined by the Lakers he should be flogged

waveycrockett
04-03-2012, 05:06 PM
thought this was coming.

Best at what?

Teeboy1487
04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Please get this locker room cancer out of LA. I officially hate this guy. Hopefully he is traded draft day for a pick.

shep33
04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
This was coming

shep33
04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't call him a cancer. The players like him, and the coaches liked him last year. He just doesn't get along with Brown on any level.

naps
04-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The players like him, and the coaches liked him last year. He just doesn't get along with Brown on any level.

No budding superstar should like Brown when Brown acts like a robot to Kobe. Brown sucks. He doesn't know how to coach. Honestly, I can't imagine him calling out Kobe. I remember him saying something like "I am lucky, Kobe let me coach." I assume he doesn't command 1% respect from Kobe. Bynum shouldn't sit well with Brown specially with Kobe's chucking and his lack of touches.

ManRam
04-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Good.

Maybe he'll learn...

Doubtful...

Crackadalic
04-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Should have gotten it sooner

Baller1
04-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Good; he needs to grow the hell up.

Raph12
04-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Brown has emphasized Bynum more than Phil ever did, he gave Bynum the room to grow and let his game flourish, Bynum should be grateful, not disrespectful... What a punk.

Lakeshow24KB
04-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Damn, hope this doesn't stir other things up.

NapTownPace
04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Man that sucks. He seemed to be doing better the first half of the season too... shame to see the immaturity creep back out now.

waveycrockett
04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Brown has emphasized Bynum more than Phil ever did, he gave Bynum the room to grow and let his game flourish, Bynum should be grateful, not disrespectful... What a punk.

EXACTLY, Brown has given the Andrew the spotlight to shine, that Phil never would and this is how he repays him? Dude is acting like a child. I think he still needs a coach that will make him cry on the sidelines.

NYKnickFanatic
04-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Post the ****ing article.

LakeShowRaider
04-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Post the ****ing article.

Didn't know clicking a link was so difficult.

M.Bibby2.0
04-03-2012, 05:51 PM
lol... if this was Cousins we'd go on about how he's cancerous tumour and the next Eddy Curry.

But it's Bynum, only known for violently levelling smaller players, disrespecting his team and staff. It's ok though he's a Laker and it's a big market, so he's a level headed player, and arguably the next best centre in the league.

ThunderousDemon
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
lol... if this was Cousins we'd go on about how he's cancerous tumour and the next Eddy Curry.

But it's Bynum, only known for violently levelling smaller players, disrespecting his team and staff. It's ok though he's a Laker and it's a big market, so he's a level headed player, and arguably the next best centre in the league.

You're damn right, good job buddy. :cool:

valade16
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM

To the tune of 2 more shots per game? And even that can be attributed to his 5 more minutes a night than he's ever gotten.

People who are quick to put all this blame on Bynum are fooling themselves to what the real problem is.

Kobe.

Kobe is shooting 42%, 29% 3's, and getting 3.7 TOs a game while putting up 23 shots.

He shoots nearly as much as Gasol and Bynum combined. He has become a ball-hog, selfish, player simply because Brown can't reign him in.

I completely understand Bynum being pissed. Could you imagine if his name were Kobe Smith and he was playing like he is now?

If Kobe wants to send the Lakers down in flames fine, but don't expect the other players to follow you...

shep33
04-03-2012, 06:10 PM

I have to disagree with you a bit here Raph. Phil didn't showcase Bynum because we still had Lamar. Remember LO was the guy that helped us get to two finals before Bynum really got to play a role in getting us the 2nd of our back-to-back titles.

Bynum listened to Phil though. Phil, Chuck Person, and Brian Shaw wanted him to be our anchor defensively, and Bynum never really complained about touches.

If we didn't have LO, and Bynum was healthy, then Phil would've played Bynum and gotten him the ball more often.

shep33
04-03-2012, 06:11 PM
To the tune of 2 more shots per game? And even that can be attributed to his 5 more minutes a night than he's ever gotten.

People who are quick to put all this blame on Bynum are fooling themselves to what the real problem is.

Kobe.

Kobe is shooting 42%, 29% 3's, and getting 3.7 TOs a game while putting up 23 shots.

He shoots nearly as much as Gasol and Bynum combined. He has become a ball-hog, selfish, player simply because Brown can't reign him in.

I completely understand Bynum being pissed. Could you imagine if his name were Kobe Smith and he was playing like he is now?

If Kobe wants to send the Lakers down in flames fine, but don't expect the other players to follow you...

Kobe and Bynum are probably two of the closest friends on the team now. His problem has nothing to do with Kobe, it's Mike Brown

ThunderousDemon
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Brown needs to ****ing go. I hate seeing his stupid ****ing face when the Lakers have Blake, Sessions,MWP, McRoberts, and Murphy on the floor and him wondering how we're down by 15 points. The guy is a complete moron and has none of the players respect. Mike Brown is just Jimbaco's pet alongside Bynum.

FraziersKnicks
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
He's rapidly turning into one of my least favorite players in the league.. He has all the tools, yet he's the biggest tool.

Iron24th
04-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't call him a cancer. The players like him, and the coaches liked him last year. He just doesn't get along with Brown on any level.

+1

We would not be west 3rd seed without him.

DaLakerz Rulz
04-03-2012, 06:35 PM
+1

We would not be west 3rd seed without him.

Exactly. At least we have a fighters chance to do something in the playoffs now. Without Bynum, this team would be going nowhere. We don't have as deep a team that Kobe and Gasol can do it by themselves. This teams problems have to do with the ****** bench, Mike Browns crap coaching, and Kobe's offense tanking this season.

Raph12
04-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Highest usage rate of his career, most postups of the big 3 in LA, despite Pau being significantly better in the post than Bynum... Brown has done his best to let Bynum's game grow, Kobe just won't let go of the reins.

I have to disagree with you a bit here Raph. Phil didn't showcase Bynum because we still had Lamar. Remember LO was the guy that helped us get to two finals before Bynum really got to play a role in getting us the 2nd of our back-to-back titles.

Bynum listened to Phil though. Phil, Chuck Person, and Brian Shaw wanted him to be our anchor defensively, and Bynum never really complained about touches.

If we didn't have LO, and Bynum was healthy, then Phil would've played Bynum and gotten him the ball more often.

I didn't say why Phil didn't emphasize Bynum more, I said that Mike Brown did emphasize him more. Bynum should be happy for the oppurtunity he's getting, of course grandpa Kobe takes too many bad shots, but eventually he'll retire and the team will be Bynum's... That's the plan, which Jim Buss has said over and over again, Bynum needs to grow up and try being more of a leader.

shep33
04-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Highest usage rate of his career, most postups of the big 3 in LA, despite Pau being significantly better in the post than Bynum... Brown has done his best to let Bynum's game grow, Kobe just won't let go of the reins.

I didn't say why Phil didn't emphasize Bynum more, I said that Mike Brown did emphasize him more. Bynum should be happy for the oppurtunity he's getting, of course grandpa Kobe takes too many bad shots, but eventually he'll retire and the team will be Bynum's... That's the plan, which Jim Buss has said over and over again, Bynum needs to grow up and try being more of a leader.

I'm not arguing any of the "Bynum" needs to grow up stuff. But lets be real lol, who the heck else is there to "feature" on this roster outside of Kobe and Pau? Bynum by process of elimination was going to get his looks with no Odom playing 30 mpg. It doesn't really matter who coaches this team, Bynum would still get his looks and be more of an integral part of the offense. He would've gotten this opportunity with Flip Saunders if he were the Lakers coach

Avenged
04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Probably wants more than his 12 shots per game he's getting and honestly he deserves it. No excuses for his behavior but it's just personality, unfortunately.

RipCity32
04-03-2012, 06:56 PM
:clap:

felixng2012
04-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Brown is garbage anyway.

Chronz
04-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Please get this locker room cancer out of LA. I officially hate this guy. Hopefully he is traded draft day for a pick.

Would you trade him to the Clippers along with Pau for Butler and Blake and DJ?

Avenged
04-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Would you trade him to the Clippers along with Pau for Butler and Blake and DJ?

Heck no! not if we want the Clippers to win a championship.

Chronz
04-03-2012, 07:19 PM

That was gonna happen regardless, Brown doesnt deserve any respect IMO. Hes a horrid coach with big teeth

michigan2489
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM
I really think he can can be one of the best center in the league but he is not mature enough to have all the fame he has. I think for him to get that he still not the man (which he will not be untill he get more mature) he should not only get fined but suspended without pay. Maybe he will get the message, never do that to your boss, I know I do that I'll have my a#* at the door pretty fast.

MickeyMgl
04-03-2012, 07:34 PM
thought this was coming.

The best what?

TheWhiteMamba
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Bynum is playing for a coach he has no respect for and hates having a chucker teammate who wont give him the ball.

DaLakerz Rulz
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
That was gonna happen regardless, Brown doesnt deserve any respect IMO. Hes a horrid coach with big teeth

He's like a horse-potato hybrid.

Chronz
04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
lol seriously check out this still frame from a random yt clip I looked at: http://postimage.org/image/9lz32qyb5/

Does any other human on the face of the planet use the same mannerisms when they talk? Why does he emphasize the teeth chomp? I like the top ranked comment, would love to see the faces he makes on the *******. I personally think its a defense mechanism, he wants to come off like he knows what hes talking about so showing his gums makes him authoritative, sadly I dont think he knows it doesnt work too well.

Blitzbolt
04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
..Wrong page.

AntiG
04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
guess the Lakers are now regretting their decision not to include both Bynum and Gasol in a Howard trade.

DillyDill
04-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't even blame Bynum's frustration..the lakers need to be running an inside-out attack with either Bynum or Gasol as the first options...No one can guard our footers so why don't we use them more??..it baffles me at times

Ladies Man
04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
He starting to annoy me. Does he not understand the bad reputation he is building for himself?

The goods
04-03-2012, 09:45 PM
He has to grow up plain and simple,hopefully this will help him.

shep33
04-03-2012, 09:50 PM
guess the Lakers are now regretting their decision not to include both Bynum and Gasol in a Howard trade.

Or not. Howard > Drew easily. But both are equally immature and Drew + Pau > Howard.

Hellcrooner
04-03-2012, 10:04 PM

more lile regreting, that when hitle......er.......stern vetoed the trade they didnt offer bynum for paul, stern wouldnt have rejected that.

kobe, cp3 and Pau would be 1st in the west-

5ass
04-03-2012, 10:36 PM
more lile regreting, that when hitle......er.......stern vetoed the trade they didnt offer bynum for paul, stern wouldnt have rejected that.

kobe, cp3 and Pau would be 1st in the west-

yes, IMO they should've traded Bynum+Odom+fillers+2 1sts for Paul+Okafor+Ariza

Cp3-Kobe-Ariza-Pau-Okafor. That team would've been so dangerous.

ldawg
04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
yes, IMO they should've traded Bynum+Odom+fillers+2 1sts for Paul+Okafor+Ariza

Cp3-Kobe-Ariza-Pau-Okafor. That team would've been so dangerous.
now you guys seeing the light. Bynum is a good player but he does not have that championship mental drive. He has a different agenda that is why i like Howard over him, he has rings already. Even if Brown is a bad coach and am not saying he is. Bynum hardly played his first 7 years and played a minimal role in the championship runs really, This guy is besides him self. I said it many times Bynum wanting more touches does not help this team and its not what they needed from him right now. If i was Mitch i was trading Bynum for Bosh, CP3, Williams or Howard. They would make Lakers a better team. Its hard to trade a player like Bynum but with a bad personality? I like Bynum as my center not my franchise player i will keep saying that until i see differently.

Davidgta1
04-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I wish the lakers could trade Bynum for lebron...never gonna happen tho but a man can dream cant he?

ChitownSports16
04-04-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm starting to think this guy is gonna be a head case...

joe1nas
04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Y'all really need to stop dissing Kobe I know he had a tough March but his shot attempts have been actually down and he is giving bynum the ball he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he's putting up if he wasn't getting the ball. Stop talking like lobes a numb and not leading the leauge in scoring at 34

kdspurman
04-04-2012, 11:44 AM
thought this was coming.

Best at what?

3 point shooting.

Baller1
04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Why can't elite centers just grow the hell up?

dtmagnet
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Wouldn't put it past him to fake injuries, is he legitimately hurt or am I correct in my suspicions?