PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays Broadcasting Crew - Your feelings?

Farsight
04-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I honestly believe that the jays need a new broadcasting crew, atleast on the television side. One thing that would make this season much better, is if we replace them with Howarth and Ashby.

I like Buck as a colour man, but not as a play by player commentator, he is often awkward to listen to. Tabler is just awful as he adds nothing (im sure he is a nice guy), and Rance Mulliniks is just as bad as Tabler, but i get a good laugh from him. During many games last season (as i had MLB.TV), i would watch the other teams broadcast as ours was unbearable to listen to

I think with a new found interest and resurgence of this team, the fans deserve broadcasters that are easy to listen to, exciting, and insightful (and do not state the obvious all the time)

I was wondering if anyone else thought along those lines

miller74
04-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Atleast Jamie Campbell is gone

2009mvp
04-03-2012, 02:11 PM
They're about as average as could be, I think. Not overly annoying or insightful. I suppose you could do better, but you could also do much worse. Ashby would help but then you're taking a pretty big hit on the radio side of things where he's fantastic.

the_jon
04-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I like Buck but he's soooooo boring to listen to sometimes.

Converged
04-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Atleast Jamie Campbell is gone

This.

Buck and Tabby are far from the best, but I don't hate them. Agreed that Howarth and Ashby would be the best.

I would miss Pat talking about how strong players hands are though.

Farsight
04-03-2012, 02:15 PM
On the television side, in the perfect world i would like Shulman and Buck back together, but that wont ever happen again

JermanJaysFan
04-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm fine with them. They don't necessarily have superb analysis, but I know enough that it doesn't matter. They call the plays and have some somewhat interesting banter, that's good enough for me.

Kenny Powders
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Meh, they aren't the best, but anything is an upgrade over Jamie Campbell.

LanceUpperCut
04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't mind them, seems like 90% of broadcasters are hated. They are fairly dull but I just for the masses that is the safe bet.

ILDD
04-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I hate Buck with a violent, violent passion.

I sit there and shout at the TV several times every broadcast when he makes either obvious platitudes or just plain wrong analysis. The sheer number of times he'll say "a good RBI man" or "plays the game the right way" or similar nonsense - what does that even mean? A good RBI guy is someone who has the good fortune to have players get on base in front of him through no fault of his own and then gets timely hit. So he's not "a good RBI guy", he's more of "a good baseball player".

Plays the game the right way normally means "doing the little things like stealing bases and backing up players" or, to put it another way, being "a good baseball player".

God I hate that man.

And don't get me started on his laugh.....

craigerlee
04-03-2012, 02:58 PM
They're about as average as could be, I think. Not overly annoying or insightful. I suppose you could do better, but you could also do much worse. Ashby would help but then you're taking a pretty big hit on the radio side of things where he's fantastic.

I'm sure Wilner could step in as a colour man and be pretty good.

2009mvp
04-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I hate Buck with a violent, violent passion.

I sit there and shout at the TV several times every broadcast when he makes either obvious platitudes or just plain wrong analysis. The sheer number of times he'll say "a good RBI man" or "plays the game the right way" or similar nonsense - what does that even mean? A good RBI guy is someone who has the good fortune to have players get on base in front of him through no fault of his own and then gets timely hit. So he's not "a good RBI guy", he's more of "a good baseball player".

Plays the game the right way normally means "doing the little things like stealing bases and backing up players" or, to put it another way, being "a good baseball player".

God I hate that man.

And don't get me started on his laugh.....

That's the kind of drivel you get in the large majority of big league broadcasts. It is what it is.

I'm sure Wilner could step in as a colour man and be pretty good.

Meh, Wilner does a few innings here and there and while he's not awful he's not particularly good either. Maybe he gets better with experience but I'm a big fan of sticking with the brilliant Howarth/Ashby setup.

adid727
04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Are you guys serious? they are ok? Do you want to get creeped out? close your eyes and listen to Tabler and buck comment on a player.

Buck "he's got a VERY STRONG body and those BIG masculine biceps with those LONG arms with those HEALTHY, HEALTHY legs"

Tabler "hmmm... Yes..yes... i bet those guys in the club house like him ....."

Buck "I bet they do"

and you die a little inside. Another thing is that i swear i heard buck mistakenly calling the jays the orioles on at least four different occasions at the beginning of the year last season.

Toxeryll
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Are you guys serious? they are ok? Do you want to get creeped out? close your eyes and listen to Tabler and buck comment on a player.

Buck "he's got a VERY STRONG body and those BIG masculine biceps with those LONG arms with those HEALTHY, HEALTHY legs"

Tabler "hmmm... Yes..yes... i bet those guys in the clubs house like him ....."

Buck "I bet they do"

and you die a little inside. Another thing is that i swear i heard buck mistakenly calling the jays the orioles on at least four different occasions at the beginning of the year last season.

hahahaha

mtf
04-03-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm not a fan of Gregg Zaun, Buck Martinez or Mike Wilner.

Gregg Zaun really comes off as trying to pull off this outdated "cool old man" personality, and really just seems like a fossil. I actually don't mind much of his commentary on player moves as it seems like he's the only one working at Rogers who has an opinion that sometimes conflicts with their own, but his personality is brutal to watch and listen to.

Buck Martinez has too many many brain farts and he's just really creepy.

Mike Wilner is an egotistical jerk who does everything he can to alienate all listeners who don't share his exact opinion of the team or players and also those who don't know every statistic in the book as it relates to every player on the team. What's more is that when those statistics are in bad and show a that a low potential player is in decline, he throws the facts out the window to take an emotional approach.

All of the other television or radio guys are perfectly fine by me.

Halladay
04-03-2012, 04:17 PM
You could do A LOT worse. Jamie Campbell was horrendous.

Twitchy
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Martinez and Tabler are terrible. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Martinez say that a ball was fisted somewhere. Yeah, they could do worse, but they could do a hell of a lot better too.

The radio guys are great, I wish they would be the TV crew. I'd rather the TV guys have the better broadcasting crew.

NS_Jays_Fan
04-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I actually like Buck and Pat. Tabby is much better than Mullinicks. Although I agree Buck would be better as the sidekick to say a Jon Miller type. Please don't bring in Ashby! He won't such the hell up! At least Buck will pause and let the game flow by itself once in awhile. Howarth is okay, but reminds me too much of Colin Mockery from whose line lol. I'd mute the tv to stop my ears from bleeding if Ashby took over.

Sanyo
04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Zaun has no kids and probably hates his wife, hence he still thinks he's a playboy in his 40's.

I think Howardth has been such a fixture on radio, it'd be a mistake now to bring him on tv.

Think Wilner is horrible. His attitude sucks. Cant stand him.

You guys also forget alot of these good play by play guys dont want to come to Canada. Hence, its not always as rosy for them to get guys. However, if the Jays become better, it may start attracting some better play by play guys.

Favorite Buck quote: "He's a good lookin' ballplayer". I get uncomfortable hearing that every time he says it.

adid727
04-03-2012, 04:41 PM
You can call Gregg Zaun "ok" at least. He does make some valid points and does his research when commenting on why "x" player is doing well or struggling (not like buck and tabler. see previous comment"). His broadcasting skills need a bit of work but he has improved which means he does take his job seriously. Also, like someone already mentioned he does have a mind of his own and speaks the truth. Like last season he didn't think cecil will bounce back. While buck and tabler where like "he'll be back... hes a good guy". Are you serious? what does being a good guy have to do with anything? :facepalm: overall i'll give zauni a 7/10.

2009mvp
04-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Zaun's a blowhard who puts being loud/contrarian/controversial before being accurate. That might work in professional wrestling or something but I'll pass as a baseball analyst.

WhatSayYou
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Zaun's a blowhard who puts being loud/contrarian/controversial before being accurate. That might work in professional wrestling or something but I'll pass as a baseball analyst.

He did call Snider correctly after everyone blew their load after his first few games, while as another poster mentioned he did the same with Cecil when he was sent down.

I agree he's not the greatest, but atleast he doesn't always go with the company line and speaks his mind.

2009mvp
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
He also ripped the farm system that's pretty much universally praised by experts and non-experts alike, and called out Rasmus for 'dogging it' when his defense has been the one thing AA, Farrell, and everyone else in the media have been content with. He's not bad sitting back and picking apart a single play every few innings, but beyond that I don't know how anyone could stomach more Zaun.

WhatSayYou
04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
He also ripped the farm system that's pretty much universally praised by experts and non-experts alike, and called out Rasmus for 'dogging it' when his defense has been the one thing AA, Farrell, and everyone else in the media have been content with. He's not bad sitting back and picking apart a single play every few innings, but beyond that I don't know how anyone could stomach more Zaun.

Fair enough, I just get annoyed with people like Shi Davidi who are way too positive surrounding the team and Rogers.

2009mvp
04-03-2012, 05:19 PM
That I agree with. Even Wilner is overly optimistic about our guys, often in the face of evidence to the contrary. If you ask him I'd bet he still says Cecil will be a #3.

adid727
04-03-2012, 05:34 PM

He did say that we need some new scouts in the minors which i did not get. He also said that the guys coming out of the minors are not cutting it, but he also did mention that most of our talent is in the lower levels of the system which does make sense especially last year. He is not the best but we could do worse. don't get me wrong, If there is a guy out there that can do a better job then rogers should replace him right away. Maybe he looks good only because i am comparing him to tabler and buck. Maybe he is the only one who would criticize players and is honest which make listening to him worth while because you never know what he will say.

BlueJaysFan
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Vintage Buck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPLqiGUGG-Q

adid727
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
looooool i just realized that someone has actually made a whole website to track down buck's blunders. You can view them here. http://www.buckblunders.com/

adid727
04-03-2012, 06:33 PM
This is hilarious:

On April 23rd, 2011, John MacDonald hit a walk off home run against Adam Russell and the Tampa Bay Rays. Buck Martinez made a weird call and it was awesome! This ball is GONEahhhGONEEEEEE… OUTTAAAA HERE! View the video below:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14062635&source=MLB&gid=2011_04_22_tbamlb_tormlb_1

BlueJaysFan
04-03-2012, 06:38 PM
This is hilarious:

On April 23rd, 2011, John MacDonald hit a walk off home run against Adam Russell and the Tampa Bay Rays. Buck Martinez made a weird call and it was awesome! This ball is GONEahhhGONEEEEEE… OUTTAAAA HERE! View the video below:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14062635&source=MLB&gid=2011_04_22_tbamlb_tormlb_1

Twitter @buckblunders

Fun to follow during games

adid727
04-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Twitter @buckblunders

Fun to follow during games

lol i thought i was going crazy but it seems the world does realize that this guy is a "professional blunderer". Thanks it'll be way better than listening to buck and tabler.

BBB
04-03-2012, 06:49 PM
They're fine. I'm just thankful it's not Jamie Campbell.

masTOR_shake1
04-03-2012, 07:45 PM
:speechless: i honestly really enjoy te crew. tabler and rance kick butt and buck has a mildy irritating voice but it's a baseball voice for sure.

H-MYK
04-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't really mind them. At least they're much better than Jamie Campbell. Everytime I see him on TV, I just want to punch his face in.

fatkev78
04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hentgen joining the guys as the 3rd man in the booth. If he sticks to what he knows he should be a solid addition.

StealingSigns
04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hentgen joining the guys as the 3rd man in the booth. If he sticks to what he knows he should be a solid addition.

I think that was a one-time thing, wasn't it? Isn't he their roving pitching instructor? Or did he make such an impression during spring training, they are adding him?

JMac4PM
04-03-2012, 09:05 PM
I'd rather have Buck and Tabby then some lil weiner who went to college and has no idea what they're talking about and has never picked up a ball before. Seriously, a large majority of sports reporters / announcers have never done any atheltic actvity in their life. Its almost like a prerequisite for sport journalism course is to be 4 foot nutiin and 100 pounds. Examples include Jamie Campbell, Gus Johnson, Mauro Ranallo, Mike Goldberg.

Stress
04-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Whats with the Jamie Campbell bashing.
When he was an anchor for sportsnet he was a high energy, funny guy.
Jays' broadcasts are meant to be tamed.
Hopefully that'll change.
Pat Tabler is actually a pretty funny guy as well, when he's not commentating.
It's like night and day.
If anything blame the networks and producers.
Rod black and leo rautins are still on tv. sickens me. they actually do suck on and off camera.

Halladay
04-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Martinez and Tabler are terrible. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Martinez say that a ball was fisted somewhere. Yeah, they could do worse, but they could do a hell of a lot better too.

The radio guys are great, I wish they would be the TV crew. I'd rather the TV guys have the better broadcasting crew.

It's criminal that Mike Wilner isn't on TV. I feel bad for the guy, the amount of morons who call into his post-game show makes me cringe.

StealingSigns
04-03-2012, 09:17 PM
It's like night and day.
Rod black and leo rautins are still on tv. sickens me. they actually do suck on and off camera.

Jamie Campbell was terrible at calling Jays games. I hated him, he was irritating. I will give Campbell his due though, he did a pretty solid job at the skiing events at Vancouver 2010.

Halladay
04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
It's like night and day.

Jamie should not be in the booth.Period.

jakedajewler
04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Buck is alright he has one of those classic sounding voices, tabby is ok, I find Ashby to negative, everything is negative with him.

fatkev78
04-03-2012, 11:26 PM
I think that was a one-time thing, wasn't it? Isn't he their roving pitching instructor? Or did he make such an impression during spring training, they are adding him?

Not a done deal, but sounds promising....

RGriffinStar
Pat Hentgen may be added a 3rd man in booth for many games. Will try it out in 1st televised spring game and see if it works from 2 sides.

StealingSigns
04-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Not a done deal, but sounds promising....

Here's my thing...

He is more valuable on the field (i.e. travelling around to the affiliates) than he is in the broadcast booth. And trust me, he would be a huge upgrade on Tabler. In a perfect world, Tabler is jettisoned, Buck is the colour guy (which he was awesome at, despite many of us taking shots at him for his play-by-play) and Schulman would be the caller.

Anyone remember when Jim Hughson and Buck Martinez called the games? 90's? They were in the seat during the heyday years, and to me, they are the battery I would love to see again.

Wistfully thinking aloud...

Sanyo
04-03-2012, 11:46 PM
They need a Dan Shulman type guy (though impossible because he really is the best in the business) but get someone close to him. I don't get why they don't hold auditions with some commentators and see who is really good. They depend so much on ex-ball players, which is fine for analysis since only they really know how tough it is to play at the Majors...however your play-by-play can be a broadcast journalist and they need to go and get one -- Im sure there are some good ones out there deserving...

adid727
04-03-2012, 11:51 PM
They need a Dan Shulman type guy (though impossible because he really is the best in the business) but get someone close to him. I don't get why they don't hold auditions with some commentators and see who is really good. They depend so much on ex-ball players, which is fine for analysis since only they really know how tough it is to play at the Majors...however your play-by-play can be a broadcast journalist and they need to go and get one -- Im sure there are some good ones out there deserving...

this

Farsight
04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
That is what i said earlier, the perfect duo would be Shulman and Buck, however, ESPN has Shulmans contract, so more than likely it will never happen again on a jays broadcast at least

04-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Would of been a great catch for the Jays if they could have gotten Dan Shulman. Buck seems too slow for a play by play guy.

fatkev78
04-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Here's my thing...

He is more valuable on the field (i.e. travelling around to the affiliates) than he is in the broadcast booth.

Obviously, but he's done with that.

Sanyo
04-04-2012, 12:09 AM
this

that.

StealingSigns
04-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Obviously, but he's done with that.

I'm not so sure.

When I listened to Hentgen in the broadcast booth, and especially when Romero called him out in a playful manner, he is not all that comfortable with the headphones on.

Yep, he is better than Tabler. Or Rance. I'm not convinced he is clamoring for the position though.

I'm not sure if you guys were watching that game: he seems genuinely in tune with the system, and is comfortable in his new role.

mtf
04-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Zaun has no kids and probably hates his wife, hence he still thinks he's a playboy in his 40's.

Yeah, it's really awkward to watch him act like this, although he mostly shows that persona on shows like Primetime Sports w/ Bob McCown & other events like that Sportsnet special when he and Jamie Campbell went to a hockey game with Lawrie, Snider and Arencibia.

es0terik
04-04-2012, 02:51 AM
I don't understand this whole thing about "unbearable". It's become such a cliche in here now to hate on the broadcasting team. I'm not saying I like them, I don't, I just think that we could be doing much worse. They're aren't good but they aren't horrible. At least we don't have to listen to Hawk Harrelson and it's a huge upgrade from Jamie Campbell.

Nuke
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Shulman would be the best, but it will never happen. I hate Campbell but do you guys remember Rob Faulds doing the games before Campbell?? god he is awful.... I hated Campbell but even he was better than Faulds... ugh

Twitchy
04-04-2012, 08:40 AM
It's criminal that Mike Wilner isn't on TV. I feel bad for the guy, the amount of morons who call into his post-game show makes me cringe.

We're talking about the same guy who said Cecil = Hamels, right? Wilner says a lot of stupid things too. I'm not a fan of is.

Valleyfella
04-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I didn't like Buck and Tabler at first, but I've grown to accept them, if not like them. All I ask from a broadcasting duo is that they not be so annoying that they are a distraction. For me, they fit the bill. I have no use for Alan Ashby. I find him vaguely smarmy and rarely has anything insightful to say. Zaun is too impressed with himself, but he's the only one on Sportsnet who is willing to challenge the Jays and say the controversial. He can often be quite insightful.

mike_noodles
04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
It could be worse, it could be Wilner and Zaun full time, that would suck.

bljay29
04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I don't understand this whole thing about "unbearable". It's become such a cliche in here now to hate on the broadcasting team. I'm not saying I like them, I don't, I just think that we could be doing much worse. They're aren't good but they aren't horrible. At least we don't have to listen to Hawk Harrelson and it's a huge upgrade from Jamie Campbell.

I hate listening to Hawk, it makes me want to chocke him out or rip my ears off.. As for Buck i don't mind him, i'd prefer an upgrade to Tabler but overall they aren't bad

AA09-?
04-04-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't really mind them. At least they're much better than Jamie Campbell. Everytime I see him on TV, I just want to punch his face in.

It must be the ginger.

AA09-?
04-04-2012, 09:37 AM

He may just be the worst out there.

Nick O
04-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I mostly tune them out anyway...

miller74
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
You could do A LOT worse. Jamie Campbell was horrendous.

Rob Faulds was terrible as well

Bigred91
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't mind Buck but I really can't stand Tabler, Mulliniks, Fletcher (not sure if he is still there). The big problem is we were spoiled with Dan Shulman. He was/is great.

darth helmet
04-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I liked Buck back when he was Jim Hughsons side kick.

I can't stand Zaun at all. It always seems to me like he's trying to be baseballs version of Don Cherry.

es0terik
04-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm fine with the broadcasting team but I really hate Zaun. He sometimes will say a smart thing or two but I just hate his face and how he's always trying to act like he's smarter than any GM in baseball. We would be perfect on ESPN.

darth helmet
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
looooool i just realized that someone has actually made a whole website to track down buck's blunders. You can view them here. http://www.buckblunders.com/

This site is awesome! I think Buck is on to something though, instead of having Snider and Thames battle for the LF position lets just merge them into one super player Travis Thames!

StealingSigns
04-04-2012, 12:15 PM
^Still laughing at Abraham Cibia jumping on the first pitch...

darth helmet
04-04-2012, 12:17 PM
For some odd reason, I can't seem to find Abraham Cibia in my yahoo fantasy pool.

StealingSigns
04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Check out how many mistakes Buck made in one game

http://www.buckblunders.com/2011/07/06/game-88-vs-boston-red-sox/

Farsight
04-04-2012, 12:20 PM
There should be a drinking game with Buck, much like the Pierre McGuire drinking game... Probably would be smashed after the first 3 innings

StealingSigns
04-04-2012, 12:24 PM
There should be a drinking game with Buck, much like the Pierre McGuire drinking game... Probably would be smashed after the first 3 innings

Yeah, by the All-Star game, I would be in rehab, followed by my liver transplant...

Farsight
04-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah, by the All-Star game, I would be in rehab, followed by my liver transplant... Well atleast we have universal healthcare... If they played his drinking games in the states, he would probably be the cause of thousands of deaths

PJ Awesome
04-04-2012, 12:35 PM
As long as Darren Fletcher is doing some games, I'm happy

StealingSigns
04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Well atleast we have universal healthcare... If they played his drinking games in the states, he would probably be the cause of thousands of deaths

:laugh2:

Stay thirsty, my friend :cheers:
We are in good hands.

PJ Awesome
04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Check out how many mistakes Buck made in one game

http://www.buckblunders.com/2011/07/06/game-88-vs-boston-red-sox/

Wow, a webiste dedicated to his mistakes..:clap: **** yes

adid727
04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
This site is awesome! I think Buck is on to something though, instead of having Snider and Thames battle for the LF position lets just merge them into one super player Travis Thames!

YES OF COURSE! Cut a few scouts and use that money to hire scientists for human research! HOW COME NO ONE HAS EVER THOUGHT OF THAT! :laugh:

Halladay
04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
We're talking about the same guy who said Cecil = Hamels, right? Wilner says a lot of stupid things too. I'm not a fan of is.

He said that? can't say I knew that. I don't listen to Wilner a lot, only on occasion at work and I've found him to be pretty bang on but at the same time, it's easy to look smart with the people who call in and base everything on ERA,RBI's and stuff like that.

2009mvp
04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
^^Ashby actually said the same thing too, but damnit I'll defend him to the death. Wilner's better than your typical reactionary analyst, but he also does things like compare Cecil to Hamels and ripping Prince Fielder for his splits. He's fine where he is I think, I wouldn't want him doing games everyday on radio or TV.

Halladay
04-04-2012, 03:50 PM
^^Ashby actually said the same thing too, but damnit I'll defend him to the death. Wilner's better than your typical reactionary analyst, but he also does things like compare Cecil to Hamels and ripping Prince Fielder for his splits. He's fine where he is I think, I wouldn't want him doing games everyday on radio or TV.

I may be giving Wilner too much credit I just cannot believe some of the fans who call in claiming to be hardcore fans when 99% of them are out to lunch.

2009mvp
04-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Well he's got more of the basics down than most. He's all about OPS and such and doesn't give much weight to RBI/BA, so most of the time his hard stances make sense. Still, sometimes he gets a little homerish and very dismissive of stats that might tell him more than he thinks he knows. Not to rip him too hard because again he is better than most, , but I can't say I'm a huge fan anymore either.

Halladay
04-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Well he's got more of the basics down than most. He's all about OPS and such and doesn't give much weight to RBI/BA, so most of the time his hard stances make sense. Still, sometimes he gets a little homerish and very dismissive of stats that might tell him more than he thinks he knows. Not to rip him too hard because again he is better than most, , but I can't say I'm a huge fan anymore either.

Didn't he get into trouble a few years ago? I mean, lets keep in mind he does work for Rogers so you aren't going to bite the hand that feeds. He wouldn't get as much slack as a guy like McCown.

Twitchy
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't listen to Wilner but the few times I've seen him quoted I remember why I stopped in the first place. He's pretty arrogant and unwilling to admit he's wrong when he says crazy things.

I remember he tweeted something about Prince Fielder being a "marginal upgrade" over Adam Lind. Or he went on about how he didn't understand how anybody could not have Ian Kennedy in their top 5 NL SP's group (Doc, Lee, Kershaw, Cain, Bumgarner all had better FIP, for example).

MVP1
04-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Better than Jamie that's for sure. It's good to have someone who has played and managed for the Jays on there as opposed to a huge fan.

adid727
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
One game in the season and we already have a blunder!! Blunder of the day: Sergio Santos Picks up the save!!!!!!!

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20394543&c_id=tor

lol, that was not a save since santos did not pitch at least on inning and the tying run was not on deck.

mtf
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM
A lot of people seem to be hating on Jamie Campbell (and that's fine, everyone has their opinions) and saying they're glad he's gone, but I don't see how his role has changed from last year. Wasn't he always just the host of "Blue Jays Connected" or whatever, that segment of the show with Gregg Zaun, and didn't he just say a couple words before Zaun stole the camera and decided to go on a 5 minute monologue?

es0terik
04-07-2012, 01:17 AM
A lot of people seem to be hating on Jamie Campbell (and that's fine, everyone has their opinions) and saying they're glad he's gone, but I don't see how his role has changed from last year. Wasn't he always just the host of "Blue Jays Connected" or whatever, that segment of the show with Gregg Zaun, and didn't he just say a couple words before Zaun stole the camera and decided to go on a 5 minute monologue?

What..? :laugh2: He was the play-by-play announcer for five years....

SkyDOME4Eva
04-07-2012, 02:36 AM

Tabler "hmmm... Yes..yes... i bet those guys in the club house like him ....."

Buck "I bet they do"

and they always talk about the softness of certain players hands lol

mtf
04-07-2012, 03:49 AM
What..? :laugh2: He was the play-by-play announcer for five years....

never really cared much, so i guess that's why i never noticed either. i thought ashby, tabler and martinez called the games with wilner getting some air-time occasionally starting last year.

es0terik
04-07-2012, 12:53 PM
never really cared much, so i guess that's why i never noticed either. i thought ashby, tabler and martinez called the games with wilner getting some air-time occasionally starting last year.

lmao yeah I didn't blame you. That's what I was assuming that you just didn't notice. I didn't know either until about last year when I was watching Bautista replays from his first home run barrage in September of 2009 and I'm like, wtf is that Jamie Campbell?

BBB
04-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Bucks call on Lawries diving stop was pathetic.

town123
04-14-2012, 08:32 PM
i toggle back and forth from the Jays broadcast to the visitors broadcast and get a chuckle whenever there's a close disputed play. Every team has the homer thing down pat. The one guy I really like is Dan Shulman, as I think he calls a fairly decent game as well as deferring to the x's and o's guy when required.

Abdul Mutalib
04-14-2012, 08:50 PM
epic tabler quotes: on coco:"he has those big thighs, thats good", then on the potatoe: "well if ur hungry, u can peel it and eat it" lmao

Rogi10
04-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Here are a few Buck moments.

" A SWING AND A DRIVE, DEEP FLY BALL AND IT'S caught by the left fielder"

or his home run calls.

"THAT BALL IS Ooutadglirafjfjfj ttta HEREEEE" ( he can never get a read on a home run ball)

and then Tabler with his "WOW"

Buck is great for his consistent blunders, and his terrible ability to read any deep fly ball.

FlakeyFool
04-14-2012, 11:45 PM
"breaking ball"

or his stupid little twitch he does when hes on camera

Salty
04-15-2012, 12:24 AM
I watch alot of jays game, buck is terrible. I can't believe he was the jays manager and the color guy for baltimore broadcast at one point. He doesn't have energy that you need for this current team and current fan base. I think Jamie Campbell and zaun would be an upgrade. Zaun at least puts players on blast (see lawrie) for doing dumb things, unlike what tabby did.

Farsight
04-15-2012, 12:50 AM
I think Buck is good colour guy, as he has time to articulate his thoughts, which are usually good on the whole. However, as play by play guy, he seems to struggle with calling the game as it goes. Furthermore hes pretty horrible when it comes to home run calls, special moment, and close plays...

Toxeryll
04-15-2012, 10:09 PM
i wish we get dan schulman as our play by play guy. i have no problem with buck being the colour guy

henderson56
04-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I hate it when they both snicker at the same time after some lame joke that one of them made, Drives me nuts!

Toxeryll
04-15-2012, 11:00 PM
I hate it when they both snicker at the same time after some lame joke that one of them made, Drives me nuts!

hahaha me too. its so annoying

Jay
04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
They're not unbearable to listen to. I can actually find them entertaining from time to time.

darth helmet
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Sometimes I'll watch other teams broadcasts on TV and I have to say despite all of Bucks blunders, I'm really really really glad we have him as our broadcaster because he at least has some personality and some excitement to his voice. I don't think I could bare having to listen to a broadcaster with a monotone voice all season long and frankly just about every other broadcaster out there sounds exactly like that. BORING!! No thanks. Keep Buck.

Durkan
04-16-2012, 07:10 PM
I like that he has a distinct voice, not monotone at all. Best example I have is if I'm on the computer with the game on to my side, I know right away if something happens when Buck belts out one of his "LONG FLY BALL!!!!"'s or the like. Keep em.

nithanyo
04-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Toronto fans are never satisfied. I remember the days of jamie cambell taking air time wishing old grannies happy birthday (for some reason half their names were margaret) and talking bout the players home town.

So the buck blunders don't bother me much cus i much rather care bout the on field product and know it could be worse.

nithanyo
04-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Here are a few Buck moments.

" A SWING AND A DRIVE, DEEP FLY BALL AND IT'S caught by the left fielder"

or his home run calls.

"THAT BALL IS Ooutadglirafjfjfj ttta HEREEEE" ( he can never get a read on a home run ball)

and then Tabler with his "WOW"

Buck is great for his consistent blunders, and his terrible ability to read any deep fly ball.

Its hard to judge home runs especially from the broadcast booth. Firstly cus you are up behind home plate plus there are other factors like wind, sound of the bat etc. Secondly if you look at the monitor you get no better look than the fans.

I can tell you i jump up out of my seat a few times a game for fly balls that look like HR's. Most notably the 9th inning double by EE in the first game in cleveland. I thought thats a second deck shot.

mtf
04-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Its hard to judge home runs especially from the broadcast booth. Firstly cus you are up behind home plate plus there are other factors like wind, sound of the bat etc. Secondly if you look at the monitor you get no better look than the fans.

I can tell you i jump up out of my seat a few times a game for fly balls that look like HR's. Most notably the 9th inning double by EE in the first game in cleveland. I thought thats a second deck shot.

A lot of times you can read it by simply judging the reactions of the outfielders.

Twitchy
04-17-2012, 06:56 AM
A lot of times you can read it by simply judging the reactions of the outfielders.

Yeah exactly. And these guys were professional baseball players so they should know that.

I have to imagine Martinez must have been the worst baserunner ever just by his ability to judge fly balls. He probably ran halfway around the bases until he realized it was caught by the CF and not a HR.

AA09-?
04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah exactly. And these guys were professional baseball players so they should know that.

I have to imagine Martinez must have been the worst baserunner ever just by his ability to judge fly balls. He probably ran halfway around the bases until he realized it was caught by the CF and not a HR.

This.