PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the 1 n done???

jgthegame1982
04-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Lately, a lot of people r concerned or annoyed about the one and done for college.. Is may have been talked about b4.. How would u fix it..

I think get rid of the 1 and done.. Make it a minimum of 2 years if u go to college.. N allow the kids to go straight from hs to pro if they want to..

pacofunk64
04-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Lately, a lot of people r concerned or annoyed about the one and done for college.. Is may have been talked about b4.. How would u fix it..

I think get rid of the 1 and done.. Make it a minimum of 2 years if u go to college.. N allow the kids to go straight from hs to pro if they want to..

They need a mandatory 2 years in college just like football. Your way would dilute the draft with so many high school players. We need to start weeding out the bad apples and if they can't make it thru 2 years of college then they don't belong in the NBA.

72 Wins
04-03-2012, 10:36 AM

This makes no sense. In fact, this would defeat the entire system and we'll have more players going to the NBA straight out HS (if they knew they had to go to college a minimum of 2 years). This will really set back players who really aren't ready and end up losing their NCAA eligibility.

ichitownclowni
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
This^^

PrettyBoyJ
04-03-2012, 11:09 AM
2 years minimum in college..which would actually help teams when evaluating prospects to draft..

asmarks18
04-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Make them go 2 years. Would hopefully see some athletes stay all 4 years since they're already half way to a degree and done with school.

raiderfaninTX
04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
So hmm

Bill gates leaves college early to make money because he is good at something. - guy is celebrated

Steve Jobs leaves college early to make money because he is good at something. - guy is celebrated

mark Zuckerberg leaves college early to make money because he is good at something. - guy is celebrated

Baseball top prospect never attends college so he can make money because he is good at something - nothing wrong with that.

Basketball player leaves college early to make money because he is good at something - horrible worthless person,

I think I get it.

maybe there is a little bit of blind racism with the people who started this thought process.

gocubs2118
04-03-2012, 11:39 AM
This makes no sense. In fact, this would defeat the entire system and we'll have more players going to the NBA straight out HS (if they knew they had to go to college a minimum of 2 years). This will really set back players who really aren't ready and end up losing their NCAA eligibility.

And you know how this would be solved? If the NBA teams drafted better and stopped taking high school players who aren't ready for the NBA. Oh and if someone doesn't get drafted or gets drafted too low, they should be able to still have their eligibility just like baseball. There are plenty of ways to fix the one and done rule.

MrfadeawayJB
04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I dont have a problem with the two years minimum or leave right from HS. If a guy can not go to college for two years (not smart enough) then let them go overseas like Brandon Jennings or Jeremy Tyler

Hustla23
04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I like the rule. One year isn't long at all for athletes who want to make it to the NBA and it provides a constant flux of NBA level talent for college programs.

Dstmccoy
04-03-2012, 11:49 AM
So hmm

Bill gates leaves college early to make money because he is good at something. - guy is celebrated

Steve Jobs leaves college early to make money because he is good at something. - guy is celebrated

mark Zuckerberg leaves college early to make money because he is good at something. - guy is celebrated

Baseball top prospect never attends college so he can make money because he is good at something - nothing wrong with that.

Basketball player leaves college early to make money because he is good at something - horrible worthless person,

I think I get it.

maybe there is a little bit of blind racism with the people who started this thought process.

Ridiculous, it has nothing to do with Race...
The minimum College requirement should be the same across the board for all sports.
Huge difference in Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg leaving school early. Their talent is/was their inteligence, not athletic prowess. The odds of them severely injuring their brain and having no education or real world work experience to fall back on is almost non-existent. The chance of a High School "KID" with no education or real world work experience suffering a career ending injury or not able to compete at the Pro level happens constantly.

raiderfaninTX
04-03-2012, 11:57 AM
The minimum College requirement should be the same across the board for all sports.
Huge difference in Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg leaving school early. Their talent is/was their inteligence, not athletic prowess. The odds of them severely injuring their brain and having no education or real world work experience to fall back on is almost non-existent. The chance of a High School "KID" with no education or real world work experience suffering a career ending injury or not able to compete at the Pro level happens constantly.

Funny you didn't argue the baseball argument

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I really dislike when people do things based on perception and no evidence. The notion that High School kids were hurting the NBA is just false.

If you want to fix the one and done rule just get rid of the rule. As a organization you have to decide whether or not to gamble on potential over production. Let the market decide rather or not these kids are ready not some stupid rule.

pacofunk64
04-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Players who stay in college a minimum of 2 years get the following:
1) Higher rookie salary than those who leave after 1 year...plus
2) 1 year shaved off of their rookie contract so they can become a free agent sooner.

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 12:03 PM

No they may not get injuried, but they surely can fail all the same!

For every success like Gates/Jobs/Zuckerberg who drops out to start a business there's 1000's of people who failed. People should have the right to fail when they are ready to try.

Vincent
04-03-2012, 12:21 PM

Opportunity cost.

Especially when players only have a short lifetime in their peak performance.

1 or 2 years might not be much to a white collar worker, but for a basketball player it could be the difference of millions of dollars.

Personally, I don't have much an issue with the 1 year rule. It makes college basketball somewhat watchable (for NBA prospects). But the perception of black male athletes that try to pursue professional basketball career (when they have the talent to do so) as being the wrong career move bothers me a bit.

Staying in school hurts draft stock and in some cases hurts their progression. The college game is completely different from the NBA game, and the game is coached differently as well.

I think players would benefit much more by playing in the NBA/NBDL their rookie year, rather than dominating smaller players in the NCAA.

John Walls Era
04-03-2012, 12:24 PM
One and Done is perfectly fine. Its not like they care about education anyway.

yashi mack
04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
people not mentioning the fact that these schools make millions of these young men. These players want to get paid. So why shouldn't they be able to go to the pros? Believe it or not it is some racism in it. Lets be honest what race is dominant in basketball and leave college early for the pros. If it was more dominant whites leaving early it wouldnt be a problem.

iam brett favre
04-03-2012, 12:30 PM
It looks like based on ur spelling that u mite need to spend a little more time in college.
But anyway...I think that college shouldn't even be mandatory for players. The point of college is to what..help you find a job and ultimately make you more money with a degree right? Well if their plan in life is be an NBA player, let them do it.

yashi mack
04-03-2012, 12:35 PM
some of you people need to get a life. Just looking for words that someone spelled wrong.

corky831
04-03-2012, 12:40 PM
lmao at fixing the one and done by having kids go two years if they go to a college, but then allowing HS players to go to the pros if they choose to? HAHAHAHAHA. The 1 and done is not that bad, it allows us to see some great talent perform in the college tournament whereas we never would have been able to in the past. We never would have been able to see Durant play at Texas, Davis at Kentucky, etc.

jmoney85
04-03-2012, 12:42 PM
yea lets keep the kids at school another year so the colleges can continue to make millions off of them while the kids can barely rub 2 nickles together

Rentzias
04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I just don't like how one-and-done has ruined my ability to beast through March Madness brackets.

king4day
04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I like the idea from the ESPN article. If you are given a scholarship, there should be 2 or more years tied behind it. If you pay yourself, then you can choose.
This might lead to more behind the scenes collusion for someone to pay for college and have them get paid back after they get their first NBA contract though.

BcEuAbRsS
So basketball and football players are only black? Yep, we're th racist ones...

Dstmccoy
Funny you didn't argue the baseball argument

I did, I stated the requirement should be the same for all sports.

king4day
04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
lmao at fixing the one and done by having kids go two years if they go to a college, but then allowing HS players to go to the pros if they choose to? HAHAHAHAHA. The 1 and done is not that bad, it allows us to see some great talent perform in the college tournament whereas we never would have been able to in the past. We never would have been able to see Durant play at Texas, Davis at Kentucky, etc.

Good point

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Why should some kid play basketball for free and risk injurying himself for a school that makes boat loads of money of their basketball program, while he could be jepordizing his earnings in the NBA. Think about a guy like Greg Oden. If he had played two years, his second year would have been spent on the sidelines, hurting his draft position. He could have had a career ending injury in college, and while the school he played for makes boat loads of money from the basketball program, he loses his livelohood for nothing.

I don't even like that they have to go to college. I know college is great, especially for PGs and SGs, but the bottom line is, if they are good enough to be in the NBA, the NBA should let them in. Playing for free just isn't right. Can you imagine if factories across the country just said: We aren't hiring people out of highschool, they need to have one year of college. That'd be crazy! Why can't a basketball player go to work straight out of high school like every other citizen? Its fawked up. Just a way for schools to exploit young people and make money without have to spend any money.

BcEuAbRsS
04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
But I think its stupid to force pro players to attend any for of college... just seems silly...

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2012, 01:04 PM
I do one of 3 things:

- abolish rule but require 18 years of age and a GED or high school diploma (or equivalent for international players) before being able to sign NBA contract
- require 21 years of age to make the league regardless of all other factors
- create a trust for merchandise sales for a given collegiate player and offer some time of weekly stipend (maybe $100- $200) and make the trust available at 30 years old, at graduation, or after signing an NBA contract (this is a way to pay the players and offer some incentive to stay in school)

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Why should some kid play basketball for free and risk injurying himself for a school that makes boat loads of money of their basketball program....

My problem with the injury argument is what happens if you blow your money and become a bust or get injured. What happens if you declare, hirer an agent lose eligibility and get injured between the end of the tournament and draft day. When people use the injury argument they ignore the fact its a two way street.

It a prospect is in a car accident a week before the draft and destroys there knee, they won't get drafted and they lost there scholarship.

If you talk about injuries talk about both sides of injuries and how the player can screwed by leaving as well as staying.

edit:

I deleted part of what I was quoting because it does not change the context of what I am quoting and nothing in what I deleted is relevant or related to my point, it just makes the post longer.

jmoney85
04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
My problem with the injury argument is what happens if you blow your money and become a bust or get injured. What happens if you declare, hirer an agent lose eligibility and get injured between the end of the tournament and draft day. When people use the injury argument they ignore the fact its a two way street.

It a prospect is in a car accident a week before the draft and destroys there knee, they won't get drafted and they lost there scholarship.

If you talk about injuries talk about both sides of injuries and how the player can screwed by leaving as well as staying.

edit:

I deleted part of what I was quoting because it does not change the context of what I am quoting and nothing in what I deleted is relevant or related to my point, it just makes the post longer.

let me know when that actually happens

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2012, 01:15 PM
let me know when that actually happens

Nice counter view. Do you want to take you ball and go home to?

I find it amusing when weak minded people try and act smart and tough on the internet because they are to weak in real life to offer substance, especially to a valid point they don't even try to counter.

Nice attention grab you had there. Gold star. Kudos. Pat on they back.

jmoney85
04-03-2012, 01:19 PM
you are trying too hard to compete in an argument by stating things that have the slightest chance of ever happening

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
you are trying too hard to compete in an argument by stating things that have the slightest chance of ever happening

This will be my last response to you because it is a waste of time.

I would love to argue with you and people like you in real life, because people like you I would have on the ground broken in a real debate in a few short minutes because they are incapable of substance or use valid points to defend there views.

Its easy to tell who has a brain in there head, who can fight and defend views, and/or who cannot and just need attention they cannot get in real life.

You say I'm trying to hard because you cannot come up with a valid counter so you respond to provoke and try and sound like something you are not capable of being.

With all that said I'm moving on and know that will give some mindless response to this post because you are in desperate need of the attention and last word so you can give yourself a temporary boost to your poor self esteem and self worth. I'll enjoy your desperate attention grabbing response that will be poorly thought out and unintelligent.

jmoney85
04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
its a waste of time to you because im right lol

no need to counter something that doesnt make any sense

like I said ... give me ONE player who decided to leave early and suffered a career ending injury a week before the draft

if you cant give me a player ( which I know you cant) your argument is flawed

Bravo95
04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Tough to make the "Stay in college for ___ years" argument if the suits are the only ones getting paid.

MassoDio
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Why should some kid play basketball for free and risk injurying himself for a school that makes boat loads of money of their basketball program, while he could be jepordizing his earnings in the NBA. Think about a guy like Greg Oden. If he had played two years, his second year would have been spent on the sidelines, hurting his draft position. He could have had a career ending injury in college, and while the school he played for makes boat loads of money from the basketball program, he loses his livelohood for nothing.

I don't even like that they have to go to college. I know college is great, especially for PGs and SGs, but the bottom line is, if they are good enough to be in the NBA, the NBA should let them in. Playing for free just isn't right. Can you imagine if factories across the country just said: We aren't hiring people out of highschool, they need to have one year of college. That'd be crazy! Why can't a basketball player go to work straight out of high school like every other citizen? Its fawked up. Just a way for schools to exploit young people and make money without have to spend any money.

The bolded part is just flat out false. There are literally thousands upon thousands of companies that will not hire someone without a college degree, at least an associate's, which funny enough, is a two year degree. To think that there are not places of business, which the NBA is, that do not require a specific level of education, is just not accurate.

Businesses do have every right to set standards for who they allow to work for them. They are just not allowed, by law, to discriminate based on race, color, creed, religion, etc, WITHIN those hiring standards.

Now having said that, I do not agree with the one and done rule, because the NBA is not basing that rule off of the player having a certain level of education. They don't have to have a degree, just a year in college, or be of age of the graduating class they would have been in. I don't like the structure of the rule, not the fact that they have a rule not allowing kids come straight out of high school into the NBA.

The other thing I do not like, and others have mentioned it, is the fact that the college players can make no money while they are in college, but the college is making millions upon millions off of them

jmoney85
04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
nothing benefits the kids who are actually ready for the next level to stay another year... it only benefits the colleges

MassoDio
04-03-2012, 01:46 PM
nothing benefits the kids who are actually ready for the next level to stay another year... it only benefits the colleges

You are absolutely right.

The problem is, the NBA doesn't have to make the rule so that it benefits the kids who are ready. They only have to do what they feel is best for the business, and have it agreed upon by the player's union.

If people want to blame the NBA, they should give as much blame to the union that represents the players, if they agree to a rule that extends the amount of time the players have to stay. And blame should be given to them for the one and done rule as it is, as they agreed to it.

The colleges are the ones I despise the most. They make millions and hold on to this archaic rule that no college athlete can make money.

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 01:48 PM

This is what I can't understand. What's in it for the kids? They can get better faster at the next level and get paid millions while doing so. If it was "our" kids we would tell them to go.

NYMetropolitans
04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
let it go back to the way it was before. Let people decide their own way.

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
You are absolutely right.

The problem is, the NBA doesn't have to make the rule so that it benefits the kids who are ready. They only have to do what they feel is best for the business, and have it agreed upon by the player's union.

If people want to blame the NBA, they should give as much blame to the union that represents the players, if they agree to a rule that extends the amount of time the players have to stay. And blame should be given to them for the one and done rule as it is, as they agreed to it.

The colleges are the ones I despise the most. They make millions and hold on to this archaic rule that no college athlete can make money.

The NBA won't go pass 1 required year. All the league want is for these kids to built up hype they don't have to pay for. Look at what one year did for Anthony Davis' hype train. I think he's completely overrated and not even the 5th best player in this draft, but he's so hyped he will be a cash cow for any franchise.

the unknown
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
i do like 2 year min like in NFL i think it would really benefit players who have so much talent that doesnt translate to the NBA sometimes because lack of fundementals that you learn in college.. JR SMITH (prob an allstar if went to college) Gerald Green same... Anthony Randolph (could of used another year)..

the only thing i would change is 2 year college min.. but they should be able to get endorsements in college. If u go over seas and dont go college you can get endorsement deals. (Jennings)

This way the young kids from poor areas can recieve some money while in college to support their families.

jmoney85
04-03-2012, 02:06 PM
if the college rule was pushed to 2 years it would be borderline slavery

colleges make millions while the slaves (players) make them millions and they get NOTHING from it excepting sacrificing a year in which they can make over a million dollars

jmoney85
04-03-2012, 02:08 PM
i do like 2 year min like in NFL i think it would really benefit players who have so much talent that doesnt translate to the NBA sometimes because lack of fundementals that you learn in college.. JR SMITH (prob an allstar if went to college) Gerald Green same... Anthony Randolph (could of used another year)..

the only thing i would change is 2 year college min.. but they should be able to get endorsements in college. If u go over seas and dont go college you can get endorsement deals. (Jennings)

This way the young kids from poor areas can recieve some money while in college to support their families.

it might have benefited those players but it was THEIR choice to go pro that early... if they werent ready then they shouldnt have went

what about the players who are truly ready for the pro's

and gerald green would have needed a lot more than 2 years in college.... hes 26 and just now maturing enough to be a solid player

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 02:11 PM

1st the NFL has a 3 year rule

2nd this simply isn't true. The idea that you can't learn "fundementals" in the pros is completely off. If your not learning the "fundementals" with a vast number of camps, trainers, assistant coaches, and no restriction on practice time and classes/class work then you don't want to learn.

College won't allow players to accept money because it raises too many concerns. I agree they should, but it won't happen.

jmoney85
04-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I agree

ChiSox219
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
NBA needs to turn the NBDL into a better minor league system and allow any HS player to enter draft. Then players that want to play in the NBA can work on their craft under the same rules but at a lower level of competition.

Bonus is the players would get paid, the league makes more revenue, and hopefully the downfall of NCAA basketball.

theLgndKllr35
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM

Well put. :clap:

PatsSoxKnicks
04-03-2012, 02:28 PM
NBA needs to turn the NBDL into a better minor league system and allow any HS player to enter draft. Then players that want to play in the NBA can work on their craft under the same rules but at a lower level of competition.

Bonus is the players would get paid, the league makes more revenue, and hopefully the downfall of NCAA basketball.

What's your problem with NCAA basketball? I love the tourney. It'd suck if it ceased to exist.

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Why would the NBA want to kill the NCAA? The NCAA provides their future product with unlimited free publicity. Why have John Wall, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant etc. getting no coverage in the D-League when millions of people can cheer for them in college for a year before they become your product?

ChiSox219
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
What's your problem with NCAA basketball? I love the tourney. It'd suck if it ceased to exist.

Where to start, on and off the court it's terrible.

Why would the NBA want to kill the NCAA? The NCAA provides their future product with unlimited free publicity. Why have John Wall, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant etc. getting no coverage in the D-League when millions of people can cheer for them in college for a year before they become your product?

$$$ or free publicity?

you missed my point that the NBA would have to focus resources into developing the NBDL further. If the top high school prospects are going to the NBDL instead of college, how does the NBA lose? Stern could even implement some kind of education program just for media relations.

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Everybody is looking at the one and done rule as unfair to the universities, but they are the lucky ones in this equation. Normally they wouldn't get that one year. Imagine the revenue created in one year with these one and done kids that would normally never existed under the old rules. They should be thinking their lucky stars.

The only people who's getting used are the players.

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Where to start, on and off the court it's terrible.

$$$ or free publicity?

you missed my point that the NBA would have to focus resources into developing the NBDL further. If the top high school prospects are going to the NBDL instead of college, how does the NBA lose? Stern could even implement some kind of education program just for media relations.

Free publicity = money.

Sure the NBA could spend a lot of time and money pushing the the D-League like they do the WNBA and hope people want to watch inferior pro basketball. OR they could force these kids to college let them gain massive buzz which is free of charge for them. Than once the kid hits the NBA they come with a ready made fanbase who will already have an attachment for the kids and buy jersey, tickets, view them on tv, and follow the draft.

thapastime7
04-03-2012, 03:02 PM
a college and a highschool draft highschool player head to the d league and get a contract but ya have to be drafted not by the player but the team that wants the player meanwhile those that couldnt get drafted go to college for a year or two AND GET DRAFTED TO THE NBA TWO DIFFERENT ROUTES AND YOU ARE RISKING REMAINING IN the d league longer and possibly permanetly

MCSJR2
04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
just like most things in the world..this is affected by something else going on...most of the athletes that are one and done come from difficult backgrounds and grow up in poverty...they go to the NBA to provide for their families...if we improve the lives of the middle to lower class in America..more students will go to college and more will graduate..you will also see more athletes work on their games in college and declare for the draft when they are truly ready

waveycrockett
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Minimum should be 3 years if you attend college like the NFL but an option to go straight from Highschool. Making guys like Anthony Davis go to college is just stupid he could of contributed in the NBA this year and college boosters should have a cap so they can fund their programs and players get a wage. Everyone knows these guys do it under the table anyways.

jgthegame1982
04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
So hmm

I think I get it.

Sorry my friend.. Has zero 2 do with race!!
Anyone who wants 2 go from hs 2 pro can.. (no matter what the race!!) n whoever decides 2 go to college needs 2 stay for min. 2 years

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2012, 03:32 PM
The bolded part is just flat out false. There are literally thousands upon thousands of companies that will not hire someone without a college degree

If you want to work on the line at a factory, all you need is highschool, and for some factories, not even that. That's the truth. Ain't nothing false about it. Can you get a job as an engineer with an education? Obviously not. But a general labourer in America is not expected to have a university education. They don't have basketball credits available at university. You can't get a credit in play making or rebounding, and you can't get a PHD in coaching. All the schools do is exploit these young people and make millions of dollars while the kids can't rub two pennies together and could be making enough in one season in the NBA to cover reasonable expenses for a lifetime. And yeah, some NBA guys get injured and blow their money and have nothing to show. That is a character problem. Having one year of college doesnt get you a degree, so one year of college isn't going to land you a job better then you'd get outta highschool. Forcing kids that are NBA ready to play for free is exploitation, plain and simple. They risk their livilihood every time they step on the court, and if they get injured, you think the college is going to give them the money they would have made in the NBA? Fawk that noise.

If you are ready to play in the NBA, then play. It works in Europe. And if the American kids that are NBA ready coming out of highschool are smart, they'll sign with a European club that like Brandon Jennings did.

I'm going say it, and ya'll can call me an idiot for it afterwards, but what we got here is a bunch of white men, making a bunch of black kids play for free so they can make millions of dollars. Sounds a lot like something they used to have in the south called slavery. Free labour? Fawk it.

Play for pay. Its that simple. Play for pay.

I got a university education and it ain't got me $#!T. I paid out the nose for it, but I'm still working on an assembly line with people that didn't even graduate from highschool, while some guy that barely got out of highschool is my boss. I graduated on the Dean's list. It don't matter to anybody out there. If anything they think I'm over-qualified and don't hire me because of that, and then they give the job to some higschool drop out.

These kids have a special talent and should be allowed to earn a living doing it.

ChiSox219
04-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Free publicity = money.

Sure the NBA could spend a lot of time and money pushing the the D-League like they do the WNBA and hope people want to watch inferior pro basketball. OR they could force these kids to college let them gain massive buzz which is free of charge for them. Than once the kid hits the NBA they come with a ready made fanbase who will already have an attachment for the kids and buy jersey, tickets, view them on tv, and follow the draft.

The league still gets publicity if the top prospects are going to the NBDL instead of cheating on their SATs and getting paid by boosters to go to whatever school

KnickaBocka.44
04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I think a lot of people overlook the fact that many players are very wasteful with their money, with a strong correlation between youth and financial irresponsibility.

If student athletes were made to stay 2 years and take classes in personal finance, accounting, etc. I believe it would offer them added benefits in terms of how to manage their money once they actually make it in addition to giving pro scouts more time to assess them as players.

Odominator
04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
One way is to just get rid of the one year limitation overall.

However, for those who decide to go straight to high school, their starting rookie salary will be lower than say if a player went to college for 1 year, and so forth.

So second year college level students starting pay in the NBA will be fractionally higher than the first year level students who leave for the NBA, and third year players will be higher than second, and fourth year players will be higher than third.

I think offer this type of scale compensation will encourage college players to consider staying longer in College and opting out after 3-4 years.

EYDI819
04-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I say make them all go 4 years so we can see who is really durable in the NBA. I mean a 20 year old can last 15 years in the nba and retire at 35 compared to a 22 year old and retire the same age he only has to play 13 years. Make them start the NBA the same age retire the same age so we don't have any inconsistencies on record books and we can get rid of the haters saying that Kobe/Lebron can get more points than MJ because they played after high school so they are 3 years ahead of MJ.

sanjay_prick
04-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I say raise the minimum draft age to equivalent of two years of college....

Just like in the NFL, if players want to enter the NBA and go to college, they may enter after their sophomore year.

If they do not elect to go to college, they may play professionally in Europe, D-League, or elsewhere for two seasons (until they hit age eligibility) and they may be drafted after that point (similar to Brandon Jennings, but with an extra year).

Alternatively, you can do it like the NHL and draft players still in college, but they do not necessarily have to join the team yet. For example, you can draft a sophomore, but the player chooses to do one more year in college while being under team control of the NBA team that drafted them until they choose to come over (similar to what's happening with drafting NBA International players who need a buy-out from their team).

For those who make the argument of the MLB or even the NHL concerning draft eligibility and why they have the option to go to College or straight to Pro-Leagues....it comes to having a proper farm/development league at each team's affiliation. For example...if a high school player is drafted by an MLB or NHL team, they have time to go through the farm system (or go to NCAA) to hone their skills, unlike in the NFL or NBA where an affiliated farm team for every team, and a farm league have yet to be established.

MassoDio
04-03-2012, 04:11 PM
If you want to work on the line at a factory, all you need is highschool, and for some factories, not even that. That's the truth. Ain't nothing false about it. Can you get a job as an engineer with an education? Obviously not. But a general labourer in America is not expected to have a university education. They don't have basketball credits available at university. You can't get a credit in play making or rebounding, and you can't get a PHD in coaching.

I think you missed the entire point that I made, and didn't bother to read the rest of the post.

Can you get a job on a factory line without a college education? Of course you can. But the NBA is not a factory. It is a business that makes and produces millions/billions of dollars a year. Work with those type of "Companies", and work that would be equivalent to what an NBA player is to that company, requires a college education.

Regardless of that, as the rest of my post spelled out that you neglected to either read or neglected to acknowledge, is that the NBA is a business and has THE RIGHT, per labor LAWS to specify their employment requirements. I never said it was right, or that I agreed with it. But it is their right as a business. As long as they are equal in their "hiring practices". Which they are. All parties (players) are subject to the same requirements.

You also harp on this college making money part. I agree with you that the colleges are the ones who are making out like bandits on this. The problem with that is that this is not a college rule. This is an NBA rule. The colleges did not make, and do not enforce the rule. They have their own archaic rules that need to be changed.

What the NBA "should" do is subjective and a matter of opinion. None of which matter other than the ones making the rules, voting on the rules, and agreeing to the rules. (The NBA board and the Players Union) You want to blame white men with money? Well the Players Union is head and run by mostly African American males. And those men agreed to this rule. So if it is racist, it is a much bigger issue that the African American males that head the Players Union are going along with it.

I whole-heatedly agree with you on the subject of colleges exploiting the players. That has nothing to do with the NBA. They are a separate entity who have not shown any ability, or willingness to adjust for the times and circumstances. This is simply because they make too much money with the way it is. That is the major crime. The one and done rule has nothing to do with the NCAA still refusing to change the policy on college athletes being able to make money.

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
The league still gets publicity if the top prospects are going to the NBDL instead of cheating on their SATs and getting paid by boosters to go to whatever school

Yes. However does it equal the publicity gain from playing college ball? Not to mention it would cost the league a ton to promote the d-league.

Why even risk the money and effort pushing your minor league when the college system already does a perfect job creating buzz for a few select players for free.

elam83
04-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Get rid of the colledge requirement and revertback to the old rules. We have the d-league now, we should use it like baseball does with the minors. Then college ball wil have kids who actually want to be there! Plus it gives kids more options.

tp13baby
04-03-2012, 04:30 PM
actually did 10 page paper on this like 2 weeks ago. players need to to for their third year and have the option to go play after high school along with Euro.

Dade County
04-03-2012, 04:30 PM
They shouldn't be forced to play that one year... They can get drafted and in role themselves into a college of their choice; of-course depending on their grades ( they got paper now :) )

The goods
04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
2 years is good because 1 year in college is a waste what do you learn in one year of college? but I see it both ways players want to get paid and staying in college puts you in debt and makes that college more money while the players legally don't see a dime,so I'm on the fence about it.

todu82
04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I agree with the 2 yr. mininum. At least that way these kids who don't pan out in the NBA will have a better education to fall back on.

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
I agree with the 2 yr. mininum. At least that way these kids who don't pan out in the NBA will have a better education to fall back on.

If they don't pan out in the NBA, the money from the rookie contracts alone will have them set for life if they use it wisely. I'd trade my university education for one NBA rookie contract in a heart beat. Its better to have several million dollars to fall back on then a diploma.

Europe has the right idea, and Brandon Jennings was smart enough to take advantage of it. Soon more American players will do the same and the NBA will have to adjust their rules accordingly, or risk losing young talent european leagues.

The goods
04-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I never liked the straight to highschool rule I mean some players are good enough to jump straight to the pros but that's like 10 percent out of the 100 that do it, and then you look at guys like jr smith,and gerald green who are natural talents but have the I.Q. of dogs that could be from not going to college or maybe just not being smart enough to go. So yeah its a tough rule but I would push it to 2 years since 1 year is kind of pointless.

The goods
04-03-2012, 04:54 PM
If they don't pan out in the NBA, the money from the rookie contracts alone will have them set for life if they use it wisely. I'd trade my university education for one NBA rookie contract in a heart beat. Its better to have several million dollars to fall back on then a diploma.

Europe has the right idea, and Brandon Jennings was smart enough to take advantage of it. Soon more American players will do the same and the NBA will have to adjust their rules accordingly, or risk losing young talent european leagues.

I agree I rather have a rookie contract than a diploma,but look at all these players that play in the league for years and years then retire and go broke within 2 years if they were smart enough to invest their money wisely maybe it could be avoided,and that's where college comes into play.

And brandon jennings had a good idea but he also hated being there because of how they treated him,and they other guy that is there doesn't he hate it to? I could be wrong but I think college is the safer bet than going to europe.

Shmontaine
04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
i didn't know the '1 n done' was broke.. ??

kids go to college to get a good job and make money to support themselves...

i don't see how this is any different... NCAA is still very popular...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCLP-cSqdyw

JWO35
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I say let them come straight out of HS or make it a minimum 2yr to remain in college

I personally don't hate the current rule tho....

yashi mack
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
The NCAA just want to keep those guys longer to make more profit. And the whole reason of going to college is to get a degree to make money right. But if you have the chance to make millions that most people don't see with a degree why not go for it.

jammastershake
04-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I like the idiots who called getting two years of a college education, playing two years of collegiate basketball, and traveling around the country, and sometimes the world, for FREE, slavery. Yea, colleges do make money of these players, because the last I checked, colleges were also businesses, and need to make money to improve their colleges, which these players are attending at no cost, all because they are good at a game.

And they NBA is also a business, and if they decide that they don't want to babysit 18/19 year old teenagers, they that's their right. No different than other companies only hiring those with college degrees.

Raph12
04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
If you're Anthony Davis, would you want to lose out on a potential $3-6M extra? It would make the quality of play better in the NBA though.

gocubs2118
04-03-2012, 05:45 PM

College sports will never go away :laugh2:. You can't be serious.

Iodine
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't know if I find the guy who would actually try to present this to the players unions ballsy or just an idiot.

"Yeah guys, so today were gonna propose to you the idea to decrease new players and NBA eligibility because of stuff like "purity of the game" and to make our scouts lives easier(which is complete horse ****), because rather than fix our system, we are going to limit yours."

:laugh:

Theres a reason the courts ruled 7-2 in favor of Spencer Haywood, a reason the Oscar Robertson suit changed the entire NBA business model, and a reason almost no actual scout would want players to be outside of the pro's if they are ready. Make the DLeague better and actually integrate it (I know a few people inside the DLeague and they are trying, but its hard when nobody in the big boy leagues cares), and if for some reason you don't want to draft a kid who wants to play basketball because he doesnt meet some age criteria well your organization is run pretty awful.

And it amazes me that people only act like the kids are the only one who don't care about their "education" in college. Yeah if a kid wants to get a good education and set him self up, but the universities love them for the money they bring in and are more than happy to not let them do jack **** elsewhere rather than make him learn life skills. It's a brilliant business model, make billions and don't pay or provide life services for your workers.

Iodine
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I like the idiots who called getting two years of a college education, playing two years of collegiate basketball, and traveling around the country, and sometimes the world, for FREE, slavery. Yea, colleges do make money of these players, because the last I checked, colleges were also businesses, and need to make money to improve their colleges, which these players are attending at no cost, all because they are good at a game.

And they NBA is also a business, and if they decide that they don't want to babysit 18/19 year old teenagers, they that's their right. No different than other companies only hiring those with college degrees.
Except its not. The fact they are not allowed to draft players as soon as they turn 18 is cooperative collusion and if a team wanted to make a statement and lose a bunch of money through lawyers, they could easily draft Nerlens Noel right now.

da ThRONe
04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I never liked the straight to highschool rule I mean some players are good enough to jump straight to the pros but that's like 10 percent out of the 100 that do it, and then you look at guys like jr smith,and gerald green who are natural talents but have the I.Q. of dogs that could be from not going to college or maybe just not being smart enough to go. So yeah its a tough rule but I would push it to 2 years since 1 year is kind of pointless.

Have you seen the list of high school players?

Names like Perkins, Bynum, Ellis, Jefferson, Stoudamire and Jackson. The number of high school bust are rather low especially the ones taken in the lottery.

IBleedPurple
04-03-2012, 06:25 PM
2 yrs minimum, or go to the NFL rules

arkanian215
04-03-2012, 06:28 PM
For the NBA, 1 and done is great. It allows GMs to look at players on a more equal footing w/ more talented players. It minimizes the risk of gambling on a Gerald Green or some other hyped high school player.

ChiSox219
04-03-2012, 07:40 PM
College sports will never go away :laugh2:. You can't be serious.

I never said college sports will or should go away. Under my proposal college basketball would be comprised of guys unlikely to every play at the next level and you'll end up seeing a higher percentage of players staying four years. The elite high school prospects would join the NBDL or NBA if they are ready.

jammastershake
04-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Except its not. The fact they are not allowed to draft players as soon as they turn 18 is cooperative collusion and if a team wanted to make a statement and lose a bunch of money through lawyers, they could easily draft Nerlens Noel right now.

The league doesn't want high school kids in their league. the league = the owners, so I don't see your point.