PDA

View Full Version : Incentives to stay in college = NBA Contract benefits?

davids22
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
John Calipari is often criticized now for only recruiting the "one-and-dones"; the guys who would have gone pro after HS if given the chance. Anthony Davis being a clear cut example here. Many NCAA fans think these players (and schools that encourage the type of behavior) are ruining the college game. But you can't deny the player's wishes to get a paycheck ASAP. John Calipari has given suggestions before as to how to encourage players to stay in college longer, mainly by giving them perks to their rookie NBA Contracts.

In an interview from this (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7764369/john-calipari-anthony-davis-trip-final-four-new-orleans) article, Calipari suggests the following

"I don't apologize. It's not my rule. I've already given a great solution that the NCAA and the schools take care of these kids' disability insurance, which they must take a loan out and pay themselves, which is upwards of 10 or 12 thousand per year. Their families, if they're eligible for that loan, should have a hardship loan, those kids that are eligible for that.

Then I said if the kids stay for two years or more they should get a year off their contract in the NBA so they get to the bigger contract quicker. If they graduate in three or four years, they have an increase in their pay 15 to 20 percent. There's a solution.

In short, instead of 4 year rookie contracts (usually 2 guaranteed years with 2 years of team options after, which the team will almost always pick up because they're bargains by that point if the player turned out to be good), you could give a rookie who stayed longer in college a 2 year deal before he enters unrestricted free-agency. That, or making their initial NBA contracts heftier.

Obviously this would rely on some HUGE joint collaboration between the NCAA and the NBA, and the NBA would definitely have to be paid some difference of the money it would lose by these players not coming to the league initially (as well if these rookies have to be paid more now).

Anyones thoughts? I realize this is probably better suited for a college basketball forum, but I wanted NBA fans views on this who enjoy the college game but don't necessarily agree with the "one and done" rule the NBA has imposed.

Cfrey
04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
kids join the NBA early because then they can get professional ***** (vagina)

gilly
04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
So basically they have a five year contract: they can play as many of those years in college unpaid, then play the rest on a rookie scaled deal. I like that a lot.

Cal827
04-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Nope. 2 years, then they become an unrestricted free agent? People complain about players leaving smaller market teams for the large ones. Imagine the anger if Lebron decided to leave Cleveland after only two years. Or if Howard left after two years in Orlando. Most teams in a rebuild take 2-4 years in order to get back into fair contention, losing the stars would just basically ensure that some markets stay on top/bottom.

Maybe two or three years under contract, then they enter restricted free agency (where the team that drafted him would still maintain the right to match any offer to their players). Still doubt the owners bite since they want to be able to pay the least amount possible for the longest amount of time (it is a business after all)

I would say for Stern to increase the years needed in college to two or three (NFL style I believe), but there is already a lot of issues with the age before eligibility and whether or not they have to go to college altogether.

The Final Boss
04-02-2012, 08:42 PM
kids join the NBA early because then they can get professional ***** (vagina)

No, they join early because they wouldn't be able to maintain a high enough GPA to stay eligible. These boys aren't the brightest candles on the cake. If they weren't born with athleticism they would be flipping burgers and scooping fries.

5ass
04-02-2012, 08:43 PM
i dont care about the NCAA really cz i dont watch as much as NBA. Most players are not ready to play in the NBA after one season, others are, and u cant deprive those of their chance because others are too stupid to make the better decision.

beasted86
04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
NCAA pretends they care about the 'poor unfortunate college dropouts' but what they really care about is their damn wallets losing out on milking those cash cow college stars.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Either let them go to the pros right out of high school or make them stay in college 3 years. Thats how I'd prefer it.

Teeboy1487
04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Either let them go to the pros right out of high school or make them stay in college 3 years. Thats how I'd prefer it.

I agree with this and Calipari's idea.

da ThRONe
04-02-2012, 09:02 PM
I think the rules are dumb to begin with, but if your going to force kids to go to college and you want them to stay this kind of progressive thinking may work.

Over all I would say get rid of the age limit. When you're ready you're ready.

netsgiantsyanks
04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
a good majority of the kids don't care about progressing in college and none of that ****, they just want the $$$. not the wisest choice, but you can't make decisions for them, they'll realize when they're 35 and broke because the spent the money they did get on ********.

h2r09
04-02-2012, 09:18 PM
i love it. i think the biggest problem in the game is the one and done guys coming to the league nowhere near ready to play in the nba for at least a year or two.

topdog
04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
I like the college rule because you get a more even look at prospects and adding incentives such as a shorter contract or more money is something I have independently been in favor of before.

Heck, I think Stern should give bonuses for players who secure a college degree. Anyway, I also feel you have to keep and expand small-market protections when it comes to keeping young talent.