PDA

View Full Version : why not C.V. ?

rapsjaysfan88
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
zaun brought this up on pts. carlos v was great last year as a starter before being injured, he gave a consistent 6, 7 innings and kept us in games. if cecil craps the bed why not have cv fill in for dustin? slide perez into the long relief roll cv into the rotation until dustins ready.

wagnall
04-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Heard Zaun, and it seemed that Farrell was adiment, according to Zaun, that Vill. would not be a SP. And until Mcgowan is ready, I'd put Vill. at #5. Its true that as a long relief guy he would usually come in if the starter craps out early. But my gut says AA will stick with Cecil at 5 and see what he does before he pulls the plug.

Farrell said they would announce the starting 5 tomorrow, so it may be interesting. :)

DeRozan10
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
This again proves that Zaun is an idiot.

Carlos V was not a good starter. Boarderline terrible starter.

He was lights out as a reliever.

2009mvp
04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Villanueva was pretty solid when he started last year, just don't think it's sustainable. Unless someone has an explanation as to how he dramatically cut his BB rate when he was in the rotation from where it's been his entire career.

JMac4PM
04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I've said it before too... as a fill in he'd be perfect. He prolly doesnt have the stamina to last out the whole year but he'd build that up if they kept him as a starter. His stats as a starter last year werent too impressive but alot of runs scored on him were inherited runners that the bullpen let in.

Krylian
04-02-2012, 05:44 PM

This.

He was dynamite as a long reliever last year. I wish people would stop trying to change a pitchers role as soon as he finds a niche. This is Pete Walker all over again. Was great as a long reliever and everyone got a boner about getting him into the rotation...and when he did start, he was awful.

CV is perfect in his current role. Leave him there, and forget him. There are plenty of other options for the rotation...and likely 2-3 more that will be ready for their ML debut at some point during 2012.

nithanyo
04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
**** I don't want Cecil. The guy gets shelled and then plays it off like he had a good outing

mtf
04-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I think Romero, Morrow, Alvarez, Drabek and McGowan is fine, and maybe bringing up Hutchison until McGowan is back from injury.

wamco
04-02-2012, 05:56 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7772/gamelog;_ylt=AmZ1Az9YuNNdGmU.T3aAl.qFCLcF?year=201 1

here is the game log for c.v. last year. not sure what it amounts to for era and whip as a starter. ERA went up 3 runs going from bullpen to rotation (in the 1's at the time of the transfer, and 4.24 after final blowup in tb)

wamco
04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
**** I don't want Cecil. The guy gets shelled and then plays it off like he had a good outing

I think they gotta give cecil a month to see what they got in him for the future. More importantly mr nitanyo, you haven't touched your fantasy team since signing up initially. We're not going to have to call you out are we?

rapsjaysfan88
04-02-2012, 06:02 PM

I disagree until he wore down he was our 2nd best starter, his era got really blotted because of his last couple of starts were his arm was hurting.

henderson56
04-02-2012, 06:09 PM
If anything I think we would reach in the minors and grab Hutch, Deck or Jenkins, Carlos is staying in the BP and that's where he belongs and is most successful.

Bombtista
04-02-2012, 06:51 PM

He was a pretty damn good starter for more than a few starts in a row. The injury ended that for him though. Certainly not terrible.

Still we have other viable options and he was a more effective pitcher out of the pen

The Analyst
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I think they'll give Cecil until McGowan returns and then send one if the back three to AAA. They might bump him to 4th in the rotation and move Alverez up to 3rd. They might also treat Cecil like a 5th starter and skip his spot on off days when possible.

the_jon
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I never wanted CV out of the pen. No way he can cut it as a starter in the AL East. He was great out of the pen anyways why mess with a good thing?

MrForever
04-02-2012, 07:35 PM
It's absurd to transform one of your best relievers into a starter. He's doing extremely well in the role the team has given him, thus there is no need to shake it up.

When Casey Janssen became a starter for a short period of time it was a disaster of a transition for him and it resulted in injury.

Keep him where he is and let him dominate out of the pen.

saskjaysfan
04-02-2012, 07:44 PM
It's absurd to transform one of your best relievers into a starter. He's doing extremely well in the role the team has given him, thus there is no need to shake it up.

When Casey Janssen became a starter for a short period of time it was a disaster of a transition for him and it resulted in injury.

Keep him where he is and let him dominate out of the pen.

I like the Janssen comparison. Some guys just don't have the durability or stamina to be starters yet are very effective relievers. Villanueva had arm problems after starting for a couple of months last season and so he seams to be a better fit in the bullpen.

I don't really want to watch cecil either but I'd be somewhat okay with him starting 3 or 4 games until Mcgowan is hopefully ready. If not Cecil then I would like to see Chad Jenkins get the nod this year. Their is no reason why he can't be what Jesse Litsch was his first couple of seasons. (175 Innings, 8-12 wins, 3.75-4.30 ERA, 110 K) Not bad out of the 5 spot.

MrForever
04-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I like the Janssen comparison. Some guys just don't have the durability or stamina to be starters yet are very effective relievers. Villanueva had arm problems after starting for a couple of months last season and so he seams to be a better fit in the bullpen.

I don't really want to watch cecil either but I'd be somewhat okay with him starting 3 or 4 games until Mcgowan is hopefully ready. If not Cecil then I would like to see Chad Jenkins get the nod this year. Their is no reason why he can't be what Jesse Litsch was his first couple of seasons. (175 Innings, 8-12 wins, 3.75-4.30 ERA, 110 K) Not bad out of the 5 spot.

I agree with Cecil getting a chance, but he's like Litsch, just too one dimensional and inconsistent to be a starter.

I think he'd be a terrific long relief guy OR a spot guy that just came in a pithed to lefties. I remember he gave up a ton of HRs to righties last season, which isn't good if you want to be a starter. it was either righties or lefties, but he gave up a ton of HRs to one set of batter and not the other.

adid727
04-03-2012, 01:12 AM
I agree with Cecil getting a chance, but he's like Litsch, just too one dimensional and inconsistent to be a starter.

I think he'd be a terrific long relief guy OR a spot guy that just came in a pithed to lefties. I remember he gave up a ton of HRs to righties last season, which isn't good if you want to be a starter. it was either righties or lefties, but he gave up a ton of HRs to one set of batter and not the other.

speaking of litsch, what happened to him, he pitched with us last year and then disappeared this year.

bomber0104
04-03-2012, 01:31 AM
CV was fricken great in long relief so why change that.. plus with the many question marks we have in our rotation, he could be really busy in his role.

He also wasn't that good as a starter.

If it has to be a reliever converted, i'd rather it be Perez.

saskjaysfan
04-03-2012, 01:36 AM
speaking of litsch, what happened to him, he pitched with us last year and then disappeared this year.

Jesse Litsch had a cortisone shot in his shoulder during the first week of camp, which unfortunately got infected resulting in a follow up surgery to clean up the infection. He will not be able to begin throwing for about another month and will then be starting from scratch.

SkyDOME4Eva
04-03-2012, 05:49 AM
I think Cecil and McGowan will both be ****** this season and will be the reason we miss the play-offs yet again...we needed to sign a vet in one of those two spots atleast

wamco
04-03-2012, 06:49 AM
I can't believe wandy is still a 'stro

adid727
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Jesse Litsch had a cortisone shot in his shoulder during the first week of camp, which unfortunately got infected resulting in a follow up surgery to clean up the infection. He will not be able to begin throwing for about another month and will then be starting from scratch.

oh that sucks i feel bag for him. :(

2009mvp
04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I can't believe wandy is still a 'stro

He's 33, his numbers across the board are declining (including his velocity), and most importantly he'd be making 36M over the next 3 years after a trade. Not that he isn't still a solid arm, but that's a lot of money and years. I mean, would 3/40 have gotten you say, Edwin Jackson? I obviously can't say for sure but it's probably in the ballpark, right?