PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller Gets HOF Nod

haggis
04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Reggie Miller: 5-time All-Star; 1996 Olympic gold-medal winner
Don Nelson: 5-time NBA champion as player and winningest coach in league history
Ralph Sampson: 3-time NCAA player of year, 4-time NBA All-Star
Jamaal Wilkes: 2-time NCAA champion, 4-time NBA champ, 3-time All-Star
Katrina McClain: 2-time All-American, 1988, '96 gold-medal winner
Hank Nichols: Refereed 10 Final Fours, six national title games; coordinated NCAA officials
All-American Red Heads: Female version of Harlem Globetrotters

Five members of the class already had been announced: Nike co-founder Phil Knight, ABA star Mel Daniels, 7-time NBA All-Star Chet Walker, Olympian Don Barksdale and Lydija Alexeeva, who led Soviet Union to two Olympic gold medals.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7765660/ex-indiana-pacers-reggie-miller-coach-don-nelson-getting-call-hall-fame

Congrats Reggie, well deserved.

pd7631
04-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Congrats to Reggie, well deserved and one of my favorite players ever.

Really would've liked to see Mo Cheeks get in, hopefully he gets it next year. I also don't think a ref should ever make the HOF....refs suck, especially when it comes to basketball.

ChicagoRox
04-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Congrats Reggie! I hated you when I was a child, but you being a great competitor made my Bulls championships so much better. Also, props for Reggie for not selling out. He could have signed with Boston and won a ship but the man had loyalty.

FraziersKnicks
04-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Congrats Reggie, fully deserving.. Damn Jamaal Wilkes was just a straight up winner.

ThuglifeJ
04-02-2012, 04:55 PM
congrats one of my favorite players when younger. Only 5 time all star tho? Didnt know that..

look at Reggies numbers and accomplishments and tell me Vince Carter, maybe Tmac aren't locks.

GodsSon
04-02-2012, 04:56 PM
congrats one of my favorite players. Only 5 time all star tho? Didnt know that..

look at Reggies numbers and accomplishments and tell me Vince Carter, maybe Tmac aren't locks.

Ya I thought it was more as well...

TopsyTurvy
04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
If they put a bust/statue of Reggie into the hall, it should be of his leg kicked out instead of his face.

Chronz
Ralph Sampson made it too? That should open the door for alot of injury plagued careers. I forget if Bernard King is on it.

Cfrey
its miller time

Chronz
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
congrats one of my favorite players. Only 5 time all star tho? Didnt know that..

He was passed on by fans and coaches alike, mega legends like BJ Armstrong, Drazen, Sprewell etc.. all made it ahead of him.

He was robbed of a few no doubt, but the dude was never an elite player so its not surprising to see so few dub him an All-Star

haggis
04-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Ralph Sampson made it too? That should open the door for alot of injury plagued careers. I forget if Bernard King is on it.

He's still on the ballot, hasn't made it in yet. IMO he deserves it over Sampson.

ThuglifeJ
04-02-2012, 05:04 PM
RALPH SAMPSON WON ALL STAR GAME MVP = LOCK

but seriously idk how that guy got in really. I hope its mostly because of his college career

It'sMyTime
04-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Congrats to Reggie, one of the best shooting strokes in the game for many years.

GoPacers33
04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Boom baby

JordansBulls
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
So did Jamal Wilkes get in based on that 37 and 10 in game 6 of the 1980 finals when kareem was out and when Magic had 42/15/7 as well?

JordansBulls
04-02-2012, 05:11 PM
So if Sampson, Wilkes and Walker got in then guys like Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, Penny Hardaway, Shawn Kemp should get in as well.

Hellcrooner
04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
So if Sampson, Wilkes and Walker got in then guys like Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, Penny Hardaway, Shawn Kemp should get in as well.

were they 4 times nba champions?
did they have a monster Ncaa Career?

Hellcrooner
04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
He was passed on by fans and coaches alike, mega legends like BJ Armstrong, Drazen, Sprewell etc.. all made it ahead of him.

He was robbed of a few no doubt, but the dude was never an elite player so its not surprising to see so few dub him an All-Star

When exactly did Dratzen enter the Allstar over Reggie Miller ? ( tough i woudl trake Petrovic 10 times out of 10 over miller).

Chronz
04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
So did Jamal Wilkes get in based on that 37 and 10 in game 6 of the 1980 finals when kareem was out and when Magic had 42/15/7 as well?

If true, my animosity for the whole process continues to grow

Chronz
04-02-2012, 05:32 PM

but seriously idk how that guy got in really. I hope its mostly because of his college career
Most likely, which is a pretty **** reason. Only in the HOF would you get more credit for what you do against other kids than what you do against pros.

Chronz
04-02-2012, 05:33 PM
were they 4 times nba champions?
did they have a monster Ncaa Career?

LOL monster NCAA career? Why is that so impressive? Barely being an All-Star in the NBA is more of an accomplishment than doing anything in NCAA.

Chronz
04-02-2012, 05:35 PM
When exactly did Dratzen enter the Allstar over Reggie Miller ? ( tough i woudl trake Petrovic 10 times out of 10 over miller).
He never made an All-Star game huh, maybe Im thinking about an All-NBA team, I dunno its an argument Ive repeated before so their names are just linked to me. I could look it up but the point remains, Drazen beats Miller at something. And I would NEVER take Drazen over a proven playoff performer like Reggie.

MagicBucsSox
04-02-2012, 05:42 PM
The bb HOF is a joke. Why post about it? Bernard king one the greatest scoters ever won't get in but globetrotters and NCAA refs get in? Clowns

Hellcrooner
04-02-2012, 06:29 PM
The bb HOF is a joke. Why post about it? Bernard king one the greatest scoters ever won't get in but globetrotters and NCAA refs get in? Clowns

bernard will eventualy go in.
i mean wilkes is worhty of entering and he retired several years earlier than bernard, so he had to wait for longer to get in.
People complained last year bout r miller not making it, and this year he is.

Missing56&33
04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Hate the dude but I got to give credit when its due.......he's well deserving of the Hall of Fame. Congrats and thanks for the memories

Mile High Champ
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM

I know we have had this discussion before but he played in the same conference and at the same time as the leagues greatest player. There was no way Reggie was ever going to be on many NBA first teams or even make a lot of all star appearences.

Well deserved Reggie. Well deserved.

John Walls Era
04-02-2012, 07:29 PM
He is a HOF, but first ballot?

Mile High Champ
04-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Funny, I would take Miller 10 times out of 10 over Petrovic.. :p

Kashmir13579
04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
'Bout effin' time!

Kashmir13579
04-02-2012, 07:43 PM
He could be the best shooter of all time?

Kuya_Clive
04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
congrats to a great player and one of the few who perfected trash talk!

Chronz
04-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I know we have had this discussion before but he played in the same conference and at the same time as the leagues greatest player. There was no way Reggie was ever going to be on many NBA first teams or even make a lot of all star appearences.

Well deserved Reggie. Well deserved.

Well then you probably remember me saying, MJ or no MJ, he was picked over by alot of inferior players, which says something about his stature. You could make the case that Reggie's accolades dont match his legacy, I would likely agree on that considering some of the foul names that were selected ahead of him and the fact that he made his name in a few playoff series. Im just saying your MJ excuse doesnt fly at all, its much more likely the coaches/fans got it wrong, a kinder way of calling them morons. But even then, if your getting past up by guys who are good but not great players, where is their HOF consideration?

LA_Raiders
04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Oh Well...

Mile High Champ
04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Well then you probably remember me saying, MJ or no MJ, he was picked over by alot of inferior players, which says something about his stature. You could make the case that Reggie's accolades dont match his legacy, I would likely agree on that considering some of the foul names that were selected ahead of him and the fact that he made his name in a few playoff series. Im just saying your MJ excuse doesnt fly at all, its much more likely the coaches/fans got it wrong, a kinder way of calling them morons. But even then, if your getting past up by guys who are good but not great players, where is their HOF consideration?

I disagree to be honest. He happened to play in an era when there were an abundence of very talented guards. If we are going by ALL NBA Team accolades. It does not take a genius to realize the kind of talent he had go up against. Early in his career; John Stockton, Gary Payton, Michael Jordan, Penny Hardaway (2 incredibe years) etc. Later in his career Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd etc. I believe it is a real argument that can be made.

I also recall more than just a few playoff series where he made a name for himself. A few amazing series against the Knicks alone, 95 series with the Magic, series against the Bulls in 97-98, 2000 against the 76ers and so on.

I am just very happy that Reggie got his due finally. It is also great to see a guy get recognized who played his entire career with one NBA team. Only Malone and Stockton have played more games for one team than Reggie Miller did for the Pacers.

Chronz
04-02-2012, 08:36 PM
I disagree to be honest. He happened to play in an era when there were an abundence of very talented guards. If we are going by ALL NBA Team accolades. It does not take a genius to realize the kind of talent he had go up against. Early in his career; John Stockton, Gary Payton, Michael Jordan, Penny Hardaway (2 incredibe years) etc. Later in his career Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd etc. I believe it is a real argument that can be made.
There are alot of players you didnt name, guys like Drazen, BJ Armstrong, Sprewell, Im sure there are more who passed him up in several areas. I will look into it

Mile High Champ
04-02-2012, 08:43 PM
There are alot of players you didnt name, guys like Drazen, BJ Armstrong, Sprewell, Im sure there are more who passed him up in several areas. I will look into it

Oh yeah there were quite a few. I just named a few off the top of my head. It is certainly a good discussion. I would not put BJ in that group, just my opinion. Drazen had a very short time in the NBA, so it is challenging to really put him in the conversation. I look forward to your response.

Other guys I have thought about..

Tim Hardaway
Mark Price
Mitch Richmond
Kevin Johnson

Mile High Champ
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Mitch Richmond got far too much love from the writers and coaches. Look at the all-star appearences and the 4x he made the ALL NBA teams. Sure he had some flashy scoring numbers but his advanced stats were very ordinary. Especially when you look at those win shares.

Richmond is a great case of an overrated player of the 90's. Reggie had better years but due to the scoring numbers being lower than Richmond, he was often overlooked.

ManningToTyree
04-02-2012, 08:57 PM
god I hate Miller. Well deserved

Ladies Man
04-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Congrats to Miller... He annoyed the hell out of me (Bulls fan) but he deserves it. Always thought he was a great player

Bin Laden
04-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I taught him how to shoot and dougie

Longhornfan1234
04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I love Reggie's game. The sixth best shooting guard of all-time, IMO.

1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Drexler
5. Gervin
6. Reggie Miller

Hellcrooner
04-02-2012, 09:45 PM
He is a HOF, but first ballot?

it isnt, he lost last year.

MrfadeawayJB
04-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Congrats Reggie!!!! :clap:

One of my favorite players of all time!

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-03-2012, 12:29 AM
It's Killer Miller time in Springfield, Massachusetts this yr! clap:

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-03-2012, 12:30 AM

1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Drexler
5. Gervin
6. Reggie Miller

Heat fans will not be happy about this list. :laugh2:

PatsSoxKnicks
04-03-2012, 12:31 AM

1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Drexler
5. Gervin
6. Reggie Miller

Miller is not better than Wade. Only a crackhead would think that.

ManningToTyree
04-03-2012, 12:37 AM

1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Drexler
5. Gervin
6. Reggie Miller

You forgot at least Wade and Iverson ahead of Reggie.

ShockerArt
04-03-2012, 01:05 AM
I remember Miller more for being must-watch-drama-TV than for being an all-around HOF caliber SG. I have no major quarrel with his induction, but I do think his pass is limited to ground floor access. If this was a "small HOF" world, I would leave him out. He was a very entertaining player though and he was a scary opponent.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM

Iverson could at least be considered a PG, even if he is more of a SG. There's no way you can find a legit reason for leaving Wade off though because he is a SG.

Longhornfan1234
04-03-2012, 04:05 AM

I consider Iverson a PG.

Longhornfan1234
04-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Iverson could at least be considered a PG, even if he is more of a SG. There's no way you can find a legit reason for leaving Wade off though because he is a SG.

Miller got out the first round without STACKED team unlike Wade. Miller is a better first option than Wade. Carry on with your drivel.

IndyRealist
04-03-2012, 07:30 AM
congrats one of my favorite players when younger. Only 5 time all star tho? Didnt know that..

He played at the same time MJ and AI were dominating the ASG. There was also Vince Carter and Penny Hardaway getting the East vote. I would have liked more, but 5 was pretty reasonable.

thekmp211
04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Miller is not better than Wade. Only a crackhead would think that.

reggie might be the most overrated player ever, based on where some people hold him.

glad he made the hall, but this and sampson only ensure that guys like tmac and vince will join their ranks one day.

pacersfan1967
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
congrats reggie miller...boom baby........

AIRMAR72
04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
congrats reggie your still the best clutch 3point shooter till this day and one the most diffcult player to defend on the court you need extra stamina to cover reggie cause he was always moving he catch ball and shoot it in your face with the Defense in his face

Kashmir13579
04-03-2012, 11:18 AM
He led the league in ORtg more times than you can count on 1 hand. It aint like he was doing it with limited USG% or shot attempts either.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Miller got out the first round without STACKED team unlike Wade. Miller is a better first option than Wade. Carry on with your drivel.

And Wade won a Finals MVP with one of the best Finals performances in NBA history as a first option so carry on with your trolling and idiocy.

On second thought, why am I even responding to you considering you're just trolling (or if you aren't trolling, you're just that dumb, either way, no need for me to waste my time with you).

Longhornfan1234
04-03-2012, 01:34 PM
And Wade won a Finals MVP with one of the best Finals performances in NBA history as a first option so carry on with your trolling and idiocy.

On second thought, why am I even responding to you considering you're just trolling (or if you aren't trolling, you're just that dumb, either way, no need for me to waste my time with you).

:facepalm:

Wade was helped by the refs. The Mavs gameplan was to stop Shaq. Wade got a lot of one-on-one match ups and help from the refs. Btw, I'm not a "troll", just a realist.

sixer04fan
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Pathetic that Mo Cheeks still can't get in.

RaiderLakersA's
04-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Worth applauding for Miller and Wilkes alone. Long overdue.

Pacerlive
04-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I remember Miller more for being must-watch-drama-TV than for being an all-around HOF caliber SG. I have no major quarrel with his induction, but I do think his pass is limited to ground floor access. If this was a "small HOF" world, I would leave him out. He was a very entertaining player though and he was a scary opponent.

Miller is top 15 in NBA scoring by inactive players. He also is 11th in win shares among all NBA players.

His TS% is 61% which is out of this world good for a sg. ITs better than Jordans and it really didn't go down in the playoffs. In fact in the playoffs his scoring went up and everyone knew that but they couldn't really stop him. They could stop the team which is why he doesn't have rings and more praise but I hate when people hold that against a player.

Last time a checked college also plays into this right? I believe he is the second all time leading scorer at UCLA behind Kareem Abdul Jabbar. In college he played one year with the 3 point line so just think how many points he could have scored if that came sooner.

I put alot of people ahead of him in the Hall but he is more than meets the eye IMO.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Top 10 favourite player for me.

Congratz. :clap:

ManningToTyree
04-04-2012, 10:16 AM

:facepalm:

Wade won a title without a stacked team as the first option. Wade is 10x the player miller was.

Better defender, better passer, better rebounder, higher fg%, has a ring.

The only thing Miller has on Wade is ft shooting and 3 pt shooting. And Despite that Wade is still a better scorer

ThuglifeJ
04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Wade and miller overrated discussions?
there both overrated. Like em both an both deserve hof but r still overrated

KingPosey
04-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Ya I thought it was more as well...

Think about the conference he played in and the 2 guards that could have been blocking him.

todu82
04-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Congrats to Miller on making the Hall. The guy had an amazing career.

KingPosey
04-04-2012, 12:45 PM
one of my favorite players of all time. I like that he made it because if he is in, Mitch Richmond should be in.

JayW_1023
04-04-2012, 03:10 PM

That reminds me: why isn't Glen Rice in? He was ASG MVP once, during his prime years as a Hornet. The guy had the best looking jumpshot in NBA history.

Plus he has won a ring as the third option behind Kobe and Shaq in LA.

JayW_1023
04-04-2012, 03:12 PM
He ****ed Sarah Palin, that probably didn't help his cause.

Chronz
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Mitch Richmond got far too much love from the writers and coaches. Look at the all-star appearences and the 4x he made the ALL NBA teams. Sure he had some flashy scoring numbers but his advanced stats were very ordinary. Especially when you look at those win shares.

Richmond is a great case of an overrated player of the 90's. Reggie had better years but due to the scoring numbers being lower than Richmond, he was often overlooked.

Oh yeah there were quite a few. I just named a few off the top of my head. It is certainly a good discussion. I would not put BJ in that group, just my opinion. Drazen had a very short time in the NBA, so it is challenging to really put him in the conversation. I look forward to your response.

Other guys I have thought about..

Tim Hardaway
Mark Price
Mitch Richmond
Kevin Johnson

Reggie vs Mitch has been a longstanding debate for me and Im still not as convinced as you are. The comparison is so extreme because of their contrasting strengths (Reggie was dominant at 1 very important aspect, Mitch was good at all the other little things), one had more individual praise the other won a good deal more and lasted forever.

This could very well be a case where people have overlooked Reggie's strengths throughout his career and have glorified the prettier all-around game, it wouldnt be the first time someone took style over substance. Mitch played in a small market but his greatest advantage was that he took it to premier players (Clyde-MJ), Reggie didnt have the same level of individual success. There were games where Mitch clearly outplayed Mike, he didnt always win but he played like a winner.

As good as his accolades were, theres an argument that he deserved more. He wasnt on a great defensive team but he was a great individual defender, Phil Jackson and MJ have said hailed him as such. And thats the primary case for Mitch, that he carried alot of respect among his peers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

But looking back objectively and focusing on All-NBA, and All-Star Game Selections (Ignoring the Fans vote), which years stand out for you as totally indefensible?

Chronz
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
That reminds me: why isn't Glen Rice in? He was ASG MVP once, during his prime years as a Hornet. The guy had the best looking jumpshot in NBA history.

Plus he has won a ring as the third option behind Kobe and Shaq in LA.
Does it hurt or help h is career that his team refused to trade him for Hakeem ?

Chronz
04-04-2012, 04:58 PM
These vids sum up Mitch perfectly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=strS0G2PCBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbtn4B5GH-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IntYVmykdfY

smith&wesson
04-04-2012, 05:22 PM
one of the deadliest all time shooters in the game. congrats reggie. btw i cant stand your sister .. yak.

stejay
04-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Very well deserved, some of my favorite nba moments, like the famous Knicks encounters, involved Miller, so nice to see him get in.