PDA

View Full Version : Which Players Should Have Come Out Last Year?

topdog
03-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Watching Jared Sullinger be fairly well neutralized by a taller player and thinking back to how he was widely projected as the 3rd pick last year makes me wonder:

Which NCAA players likely to enter the draft this year, would have been better off (picked higher) coming out last year?

Hawkeye15
03-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Perry Jones took the biggest hit. He routinely disappeared in big games, and has falled from top 4 to top 10-12.

Sactown
03-31-2012, 11:17 PM
It's hard to say. When this many players decide to stay back it's going to inevitably hurt their draft stock, but it might work out better in the long run as another year adds maturity, experience, and half of it is landing with the right team anyways.

waveycrockett
03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Perry Jones stock really took a big hit. He was definitely top-5 pick last year. Same for Terrance Jones he was a lock as a top-6 pick last year this year not sure he makes it top-10. Jeremy Lamb made the right choice I think. His name really blew up this year.

Trueblue2
04-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Barnes, Had he came out last year the Twolves would have likely taken him over Derick Williams. Dwill seems to be in between a 3 and a 4 at the moment and, although he's had a decent season, being a combo forward is costing him playing time and a larger role in the offense. I think Barnes is better suited to play the 3 in the NBA and he has a higher cieling than Dwill. Rubio, Barnes, Love, and Pekovic is a hell of a young core to build around (not that their youth isn't impressive now), Barnes could have been on the next OKC Thunder.

In addition to being better suited to play the 3 than Dwill, he's also capable of playing the 2. Wing scoring is an area the current Wolves team is in desperate need of. They could have had a starting line up of:

Rubio
Barnes
Beasely
Love
Pekovic

That's a pretty good base to build off of. He really would have been in the perfect situation.

tredigs
04-01-2012, 04:34 AM
How many millions did Barnes give up by not coming out last year (where he'd have gone as high as 1, low as 2) now that they have the new CBA AND he could fall outside the top 3 (no chance at 1st)? 10mil? Has to be at least that much. Maybe 15-20.

Trueblue2
04-01-2012, 04:38 AM
^ This too

PleaseBeNice
04-01-2012, 04:43 AM
I think Terrance Jones made the biggest mistake staying, draft stock wise. He is a great player but having MGK and Davis sort of masked him IMO. But hell, he might end up a champion, and that helps.

gilly
04-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Barnes isn't as good as he was last year, and he didn't play half as well. Definitely should have come out.

marvILLous
04-01-2012, 09:24 AM
If you're talking stock wise, it hurt most of them. Sully.. Jones x2.. Barnes.. They are going to get picked later than they would have last year.. But that's prob worth it for Jones since i think he's going to get his title

Did good for Lamb tho.. and that makes sense since he didn't have to play in kemba's shadow anymore

theheatles
04-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Sullinger...he would of been a top 3-5 pick, now he will go 10-15...his projection could of been a Tim Duncan but now he's closer to a Big Baby

FraziersKnicks
04-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Sullinger, Barnes and Perry Jones all should have come out last year.. All would've been top 5-7 picks and made a considerable difference to their teams.. Now they're borderline lottery picks and will lose out on a lot of money.

PhillyFaninLA
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
None. If someone asks be should player X stay in school another year or come out I'm voting for school. Get more life lessons, polish your game more, and mature as a person.

Yankeefan213
04-01-2012, 10:57 AM
It's a toss up between Barnes and Perry Jones. Both of them took a big hit by not coming out last season. Barnes could have possibly gone number 2, and Jones would have gone top 5.

IndyRealist
04-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I think the better question is, "Would you rather get drafted high, make only a few million extra because of the rookie scale, and have to try to turn around a crappy team with crappy management by yourself....or would you rather make a few million less the first 3 years, go to a good team with good management, and learn from quality vets with playoff experience who have your back?" Let's ask John Wall....

marvILLous
04-01-2012, 01:10 PM
^lol Wall was gonna be drafted #1 in whatever draft he was in.. #2 at worst.. Don't think he'd have the option