PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Rasmus

rapsjaysfan88
03-31-2012, 01:36 PM
I haven't seen any of the spring games and I was wondering if anyone has seen much of rasmus. his spring numbers haven't been very good so I was wondering has he been hitting the ball hard? hows his approach and his new batting stance with his leg kick? if we are depending on d murphy to fix him thats actually a scary thought. impressions of him so far?

Tmath
03-31-2012, 01:47 PM
He's just keeping CF warm till Gose is ready next year.

Sanyo
03-31-2012, 02:10 PM
In all likelihood, unless both guys suddenly lose their stride, Gose will be the CF for the Jays in 2013 and Marisnick the RF for the Jays in 2014.

So the following scenarios can play out:

Move Ramsus to LF (in place of whomever it may be in two years) and Bautista to 1B. Lind can either move to DH or trade him away. This would also mean a move by Thames to full-time DH or trade (depending how he does with the bat).

If Rasmus never gets back to his old glory I see him gone by 2014 anyways.

Its hard to say and this is just one scenario obviously...there is lots to plays with, fortunately for the Jays!

broncosfan_101
03-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I haven't seen any of the spring games and I was wondering if anyone has seen much of rasmus. his spring numbers haven't been very good so I was wondering has he been hitting the ball hard? hows his approach and his new batting stance with his leg kick? if we are depending on d murphy to fix him thats actually a scary thought. impressions of him so far?

In terms of mechanics, I like Murph. He seems like he does a decent job with improving guys' swings, it's just his philosophy on hitting approach that is terrible.

As far as how Rasmus is doing, there hasn't been a lot said about his play. I've only seen one tweet regarding it this spring, and it was either Wilner or KLaw or someone else that said 'just OK'. To be completely realistic, if we see Colby's career averages this season (.250/.320/.430) with his league average or slightly better D, we should be happy. That's a 3 WAR player, and from a CF hitting in the 7 hole, we could do much worse.

nithanyo
03-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Its make or break for Rasmus this season. With Gose waiting in the wings and Marisnick not too far behind.

wamco
03-31-2012, 02:43 PM
I couldn't bring myself to draft him in my hr pool today, 96 players drafted, someone took him toward the end. I did get JPA and EE though at good values.

I just want him to turn into Choo, minus the dui's. Would everyone accept that for his upside-ish? 85 20 85 20 380 with killer D?

Farsight
03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
I couldn't bring myself to draft him in my hr pool today, 96 players drafted, someone took him toward the end. I did get JPA and EE though at good values.

I just want him to turn into Choo, minus the dui's. Would everyone accept that for his upside-ish? 85 20 85 20 380 with killer D?Honestly, if he can revert back to his 2010 numbers, we have a steal on our hands. Im hoping to see him put up a slash line of 270/350/470. Hes not too far removed from 2010, and is still young, so we can only hope. Moreso, if he perform well and Gose is challenging for a big league spot, it would be wise of us to put Rasmus in Right, Gose Centre, Sniders/Thames left and Bautista at first (if we want to optimize our line-up)

wagnall
03-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Still alot of ?. We are hoping Rasmus and Johnson can get back their 2010 numbers, Lind his 09 #'s this has to be the year of no excuses for a few players. If Rasmus can pull it together with the 270/350/470 then I agree, I'd put Rasmus in RF, Gose in CF and Thames in LF. for 2013 and put Bautista at 1st. I wonder if Bauts has ever played 1st and how he would feel moving to 1st.

donhefd
03-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Its make or break for Rasmus this season. With Gose waiting in the wings and Marisnick not too far behind.

With Gose waiting in the wings and Marisnick not too far behind.

Twitchy
03-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I gotta echo what was said about his career averages. I wouldn't expect much better than 250/320/430 and that's a solid player for a CF. Around top 10. Anything better than that is a bonus.

nithanyo
03-31-2012, 03:10 PM
I gotta echo what was said about his career averages. I wouldn't expect much better than 250/320/430 and that's a solid player for a CF. Around top 10. Anything better than that is a bonus.

As far as i can remember we were always stacked at CF. Rasmus is a let down imo

rapsjaysfan88
03-31-2012, 03:14 PM

hope you are not refering to vernon..

nithanyo
03-31-2012, 03:25 PM
hope you are not refering to vernon..

2 years where he was injured aside he was top 10 CF offensively.

before that we had Cruz. before that we had the nixon/stewart combo and before that we had white.

statquo
03-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm pulling for Rasmus. Love his swing and want to see him make AA look good by having a career year. Hopefully T.O. fans don't boo him out of town like they do with other athletes if he starts off slow.

Twitchy
03-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Eh, I don't know. Moesby was good in the 80's and White was here until 1995. But between that and 2002 (Wells first full season) the Jays were pretty weak in CF. And after 06 Wells had one good season. So the Jays have been pretty weak in CF for a fair amount of time.

I wouldn't call Rasmus a disappointment. In fact, he's fairly similar to Wells. Career 103 OPS+ for Rasmus vs 108 for Wells during his time as a Jay. And had it not been for that ridiculous collapse last season, it would have been 110 career for Rasmus vs 108 for Wells as a Jay.

nithanyo
03-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Eh, I don't know. Moesby was good in the 80's and White was here until 1995. But between that and 2002 (Wells first full season) the Jays were pretty weak in CF. And after 06 Wells had one good season. So the Jays have been pretty weak in CF for a fair amount of time.

I wouldn't call Rasmus a disappointment. In fact, he's fairly similar to Wells. Career 103 OPS+ for Rasmus vs 108 for Wells during his time as a Jay. And had it not been for that ridiculous collapse last season, it would have been 110 career for Rasmus vs 108 for Wells as a Jay.

Nixon wasnt that great im not gonna lie but platooning with shannon stewart, they where prettys solid before moving to left when Cruz came in. Cruz had good seasons in his two full seasons as a jay in 2000 and 2001.
Then Wells came in. From 2002-2010 he had really good numbers for a CF except in 2007 and 2009.

I really hope rasmus turns his game around and plays to potential so we can keep this streak going.

bomber0104
03-31-2012, 08:57 PM
there is really nothing left to say about the Rasmus situation at this point.. we just have to wait for the season and see how he does

masTOR_shake1
03-31-2012, 09:11 PM
i'm pulling for him. still think he can be much better than gose all things considered.

Halladay
03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8190/photos;_ylt=AssmMSKdEGHB7WyiRH5zotvJbQM6?slug=fa59 77cc81993a6a91b5df82d458d962-getty-140422444

That's been in my nightmares since it came out

JermanJaysFan
03-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, this is a pretty simple situation.

If he hits like he did last year, he doesn't have much role.
If he hits to his potential (2010 numbers or better) he has excellent value in CF.
If he hits somewhere in the middle, he is a solid CFer.

Only way to find out what he will do is to watch him this season :shrug:

Twitchy
03-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Actually if he hit like he did in STL last year he'd be pretty solid.

nithanyo
03-31-2012, 11:54 PM

he hit .246 with 11 Hr's in 90 games for STL. Id want better numbers than that. Now if he can repeat 2010 I will be happy

JaysFan87
04-01-2012, 01:36 AM
he hit .246 with 11 Hr's in 90 games for STL. Id want better numbers than that. Now if he can repeat 2010 I will be happy

He hit .246/.332/.420 while posting a >20% SO and a almost 12% BB%. Pretty solid numbers as a whole. A bump slight bump in average would be nice and likely would happen had he not been unlucky (BABIP .286 Career .298). Excellent numbers from a CF.

JermanJaysFan
04-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Yeah he would. I'd take .246/.332/.420. I wouldn't be ecstatic about it, but I'd take that for sure.

wamco
04-01-2012, 07:51 AM

no way. played his way out of his job being "pretty solid"

GNick
04-01-2012, 09:58 AM

Where can one find spring training numbers at?

LuckyLuke2
04-01-2012, 10:09 AM
I think it's a great situation to have simply because of the depth they have at that position with Gose and Marisnick developing. I like Rasmus, I hope he turns into what they say he can turn into, but in all honesty even though it's just been the spring he has not looked good at all.

His average is very low, .198 or something along those lines, and he's still struggling. I hope that changes but like some said, Gose may be ready for next year with Marisnick right behind.

LuckyLuke2
04-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Where can one find spring training numbers at?

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=458675#gameType=%27S%27

There is his entire spring stats.

Twitchy
04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
no way. played his way out of his job being "pretty solid"

If my center fielder hits 10% above league average (246/332/420 was a 110 OPS+ during his time with the Cards in 2011) while playing above average defence then he can play his way out of a job every season.

Just because STL is stupid doesn't mean that Rasmus was bad for them.

While I'd want him to hit better than that too, those numbers would make him a top 10 CF. And he was on pace for 18 HRs in 550 AB. Considering it's easier to hit a HR at Rogers Centre, that means if he hits like he does last year he'd be a 20+ HR hitter. Which again, I have no issue with.

town123
04-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Assuming everything goes to plan....for 2013, I think the question is; 'will Rasmus' numbers this year play as a corner OF?'

hendrix
04-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Over his career he has averaged 3 WAR/ 600 PA's, which is pretty damn solid imo when you factor in a pretty bad year. From 2009-2010 season he ranked 7th in WAR in the league at CF, and from 2009-2011 he ranked 20th.

I don't think there's a lot to think about here. He looks like he could be a integral part of our outfield for a long time unless he proves to pull a Lind/Hill. If Gose can prove that he should be promoted than I see no reason why Rasmus wouldn't be a + LF'r for us as of now. Even @ his career OPS, and above average fieldihng he would be a top 10 LF'r.

wamco
04-01-2012, 01:10 PM
he stunk last year for stl, even worse for TO. I like the guy alot and loved the trade, but no need to sugar coat it.

JaysFan87
04-01-2012, 01:32 PM
he definitely didnt stink in St. Louis Last year

Twitchy
04-01-2012, 02:39 PM
he stunk last year for stl, even worse for TO. I like the guy alot and loved the trade, but no need to sugar coat it.

I don't know how you can argue that a center fielder who hit 10% above league average while playing average to above average defence "stunk" last year. No question he was terrible with the Jays, but he was pretty good during his time with STL in 2011.

To put it in perspective the only Jays who would have outhit Rasmus based on his production in STL over a full season last year were Bautista, Escobar, and EE. And when you factor in the fact EE was the DH and Rasmus is playing CF, Rasmus would have been the third best player on the team.

I get that everybody saw Rasmus playing like crap last year and assumes he had a bad year. But his offensive production with STL was better than what Thames did last year. And when a CF outhits a LF, you know you're doing something right.

One more thing that everybody over looks about Rasmus - he got injured in August, and didn't have any rehab games to play to get his timing down. He had a 690~ OPS before the injury, and when he returned for the last 2 weeks he hit 089/128/156. That's why his production looks so bad last year. They brought him back without giving him any rehab games. And because it was such a SSS, it looks like he was worse than he was.

rapsjaysfan88
04-01-2012, 02:55 PM
ugh rasmus hasnt looked very good 2day... d murphy working his magic :(

the_jon
04-01-2012, 03:09 PM
ugh rasmus hasnt looked very good 2day... d murphy working his magic :(
Not saying I like Murphy but Bautista sucked for us for awhile before he started to rake.

I really hope Colby is talking to Jose though. Rasmus has a good eye but his approach looks terrible right now. I think he'll figure it out though. I have a soft spot for him because he reminds me a bit of myself.

wamco
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
stl was stupid enough to win the world series

wamco
04-01-2012, 03:55 PM
he definitely didnt stick in St. Louis Last year

753 ops. This isn't that difficult. Lind stunk and his was 734.

the_jon
04-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Lind was below average at his position, Rasmus was above. Lind's not a great defender either. I'd rather have Colby.

JaysFan87
04-01-2012, 06:13 PM

If my CF can put up a 750-800 OPS I'd be pleased, I think you forget that CF is a premium defensive position where offense as a whole is not the greatest across the league. Had Rasmus hit that teh whole year he would have been the 12th best CF in the entire MLB. And only 6 players had an OPS higher than .800 last year. And of those top 6 Kemp, Ellsbury, McCutchen and Granderson are the cream of the crop of all the MLB not just CF. Like I said i can see Rasmus having more pop to those numbers in St.Louis. If he can post a slightly better SLG% that would put him closer to .800 and well into the top 10 in the league. Mind you if he posts numbers close to 2010 numbers he would be top 5 with ease. Lind places 1B which you have pointed out numerous times is a premium offensive positions. Two very different expectations.

wagnall
04-01-2012, 06:31 PM
For some reason Rasmus with the longer hair and it looks like he put on some weight, just looks more like a ball player than last year. I would be really really, be happy with a 270/340/440/780 from him with that solid Defence, would sure make my year. :clap:

LuckyLuke2
04-01-2012, 07:10 PM
For some reason Rasmus with the longer hair and it looks like he put on some weight, just looks more like a ball player than last year. I would be really really, be happy with a 270/340/440/780 from him with that solid Defence, would sure make my year. :clap:

Yeah, hopefully it's just a bad spring. He struck out 3 times yesterday, and in 3 at bats today struck out once.

Dipped his avg. to 173... that's horrible haha.

wamco
04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
If my CF can put up a 750-800 OPS I'd be pleased, I think you forget that CF is a premium defensive position where offense as a whole is not the greatest across the league. Had Rasmus hit that teh whole year he would have been the 12th best CF in the entire MLB. And only 6 players had an OPS higher than .800 last year. And of those top 6 Kemp, Ellsbury, McCutchen and Granderson are the cream of the crop of all the MLB not just CF. Like I said i can see Rasmus having more pop to those numbers in St.Louis. If he can post a slightly better SLG% that would put him closer to .800 and well into the top 10 in the league. Mind you if he posts numbers close to 2010 numbers he would be top 5 with ease. Lind places 1B which you have pointed out numerous times is a premium offensive positions. Two very different expectations.

I realize all this of course. Mind you I was moreso speaking on the offensive front about him stinking. The guy can play defense, that isn't debatable. The guy is a supremely talented prospect, as shown in 2010. Anything less than an 800 ops is going to be a dissappointment for him IMO. Despite being a good defender and in some opinions "played well" for stl last year, he was benched for john freaking jay, a lesser player in all areas.
We have to be careful when saying things like, "player JAY is a top 6 player at his position". Many times that says much more about how weak the position is than how superb the player is (see Yunell). "the plan" appears to be moving rasmus to a corner position if all goes well with gose/maris where that ops is going to be expected to jump quite a bit as well. (754 would have qualified for 12/21 and 16/20 for LF/RF next year)

The 754 ops would have been 12th for the position, whop de freaking do really. Only 20 players even qualified: He'd be Behind these players: Kemp, Ells, Victorino, granderson, melky cabrera, fowler, a jones, hunter, bourgois and bj upton.

The guys after him would have been :
Young, bourne, maybin, pagan, crisp, a jackson,stubbs, wells, rios with some of them being big time sb threats last year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp?c_id=mlb&tcid=mm_mlb_stats#game_type='R'&sectionType=sp&playerType=QUALIFIER&statType=hitting&page_type=SortablePlayer&season=2011&season_type=ANY&sportCode='mlb'&league_code='MLB'&split=&team_id=&active_sw=&position='7'&sortOrder='desc'&sortColumn=ops&results=&page=1&perPage=50&timeframe=&extended=0&last_x_days=&ts=1333327659654&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+hitting

GNick
04-02-2012, 06:21 AM
By end of May we will know what we have in Rasmus for sure. I think he has the talent to be a star but between the ears is his weakness. We just went down this road with Alex Rios.

These types of headcases it is same as rolling the dice

Twitchy
04-02-2012, 07:31 AM
You can't judge a guy by the end of May.

MrForever
04-02-2012, 12:14 PM
By end of May we will know what we have in Rasmus for sure. I think he has the talent to be a star but between the ears is his weakness. We just went down this road with Alex Rios.

These types of headcases it is same as rolling the dice

I think the team will give him more than one month to show what he's got.

He isn't a journeyman, he's a top prospect.

GNick
04-02-2012, 03:04 PM
You can't judge a guy by the end of May.

He's had 2 months last year, then wait for the spring they all said. If he craps out first 2 months of season time to start looking at somebody else in cf. Don't want this to turn into another Jo-Jo Reyes.

Converged
04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
He's had 2 months last year, then wait for the spring they all said. If he craps out first 2 months of season time to start looking at somebody else in cf. Don't want this to turn into another Jo-Jo Reyes.

Dramatic much? Jo-Jo Reyes set an MLB record for most consecutive starts without a win. At this worst, Rasmus is an average CF; at his best, he is easily a top 10 CF.

JaysFan87
04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
^^^ not even close in pure talent alone.

wamco
04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
only comparable as ugly people.