PDA

View Full Version : Dwyane Wades Nephew Shot

MetroMan
03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7757098/nephew-miami-heat-dwyane-wade-13-shot-chicago-shootings

CHICAGO -- A nephew of Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade was one of 13 men shot -- two fatally -- during a violent six-hour stretch in Chicago, another indication that violence is on the rise in the nation's third-largest city.

A spokesperson for Wade confirmed that his nephew was one of those injured in a Thursday shooting at a convenience store. The spokesperson declined to confirm the nephew's name or condition.

Wade, a Chicago native, was playing in a game at Toronto on Friday night.

Wade's nephew was one of six males shot at a store on Chicago's South Side at about 6 p.m. Thursday by hooded men who police said fled the scene in an SUV. One man was dead at the scene and four others -- ranging in age from 16 to 24 -- were hospitalized in critical condition. The Cook County medical examiner's office identified the slain man as Shawndell Harris, 22.

"I don't have all of the details at this time," Wade said in a written statement released early Friday evening. "My thoughts and prayers are with all involved, including my nephew and sister. Having grown up in the inner-city, I am aware of the difficult realities that exist on the streets. One of the goals of my foundation, the Wade's World Foundation, is to continue to spread the message that the violence needs to stop."

Wade was expected to have further comment in his postgame media availability.

The news of the shooting involving Wade's nephew comes one week after the eight-time NBA All-Star was among the Heat players who spoke out about the shooting of Florida teen Trayvon Martin. A neighborhood watch volunteer fatally shot the 17-year-old, although no arrest has been made because the volunteer has claimed self-defense.

Of the Martin shooting, Wade said that, "as a father, this hits home."

In Chicago, there were three other shootings during Thursday's stretch of violence, police said.

- Shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday, David Gully, 31, was fatally shot in the head across the street from his South Side home, police said. Suspects have been questioned and several weapons have been recovered, police said.

- At about 10:30 p.m. Thursday, four people standing in a parking lot on Chicago's West Side were wounded when a gunman fired at them from a moving vehicle, police said.

- Two other men were wounded in separate shootings on the South Side -- one in the leg and one in the buttocks.

The shootings are part of a larger uptick in violence across the city this year. From Jan. 1 to March 29 of this year, there were 474 shootings, 101 of them fatal, according to the Chicago Police Department. During the same time period last year, there were 346 shootings, 55 fatal.

Tio Hardiman, director of the anti-violence group CeaseFire, said he believes clashes are increasing because the city is dealing with violence as a crime problem and not as a public health epidemic.

"You cannot arrest your way out of this problem," Hardiman said. "You have to meet people where they are and change the way they think."

Kashmir13579
03-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Chicago = dangerous

Eg714
03-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I wonder why his sister still lives in the inner city. If I was rich I would have all my family members living right.

More-Than-Most
03-30-2012, 08:54 PM
If I was as rich as wade they would not be living there sorry...My sister and her son would be in an upscale community and I know you can never completely shelter people from danger but you can help prevent it.

justinnum1
03-30-2012, 08:58 PM
damn

netsgiantsyanks
03-30-2012, 09:00 PM
my fathers side of the family lives in southside chicago, too bad i've met none of them except a couple. dangerous place nonetheless.

BearsBullsSox
03-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Big deal, it wasnt fatal and people get shot all the time. He'll live. Just because he's Wade's nephew doesnt mean he needs to be in the news. No one is special.

Master Mind
03-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Big deal, it wasnt fatal and people get shot all the time. He'll live. Just because he's Wade's nephew doesnt mean he needs to be in the news. No one is special.

:facepalm:

Cubby
03-30-2012, 09:20 PM
How about moving to the north side? Maybe get out of the south side where all the violence is?

MTL_123
03-30-2012, 09:30 PM
i hope hes ok they must really love chicago if their still living there even tho wade is rich as hell

kenzo400
03-30-2012, 09:30 PM
I wonder if the Heat will keep wearing the hoodies now.

Cubby
03-30-2012, 09:33 PM
i hope hes ok they must really love chicago if their still living there even tho wade is rich as hell

Because it's a beautiful city? They're just living in the wrong part of the city. They need to move north side and they'll be fine.

justinnum1
03-30-2012, 09:38 PM

:pity:

BcEuAbRsS
03-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Just nuke the entire South Side... All they do down there is shoot each other... Pathetic...

More-Than-Most
03-30-2012, 09:51 PM

:laugh2:

this is just so wrong man

PlayDPlease
03-30-2012, 11:01 PM
I wonder if the President or Rev. Al and Lou give a shizzzzzz about this.

They should be protesting in Chicago cuz things are out of control right now.

Murder rate up 56%. Highest in the Nation for a major city.

It seems hundreds of black children a statistic yet one hoodie boy in FL a national tragedy.

117 murders in Chicago this year so far.

smiddy012
03-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Just nuke the entire South Side... All they do down there is shoot each other... Pathetic...

Right because it's not like they're fighting for survival. If they cared about survival they'd get a job :facepalm:

PlayDPlease
03-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Right because it's not like they're fighting for survival. If they cared about survival they'd get a job :facepalm:

Blame the local policiticidans and community activists for encouraging balkanization of the poor into tribal pockets and using them to keep the $$$$ flowing back into their pockets.

smiddy012
03-30-2012, 11:07 PM

It seems hundreds of black children a statistic yet one hoodie boy in FL a national tragedy.

This is absolutely nothing new. Chicago has owned LA & NYC murder-per-capita for many years now. Our only competition has been WDC.

Race vs. Race stories SELL MORE, so I suppose we should blame the media for what the American people are interested in, for what the American people pay tickets for.

People blame the media for the fact that they enjoy race-wars, yet it's the people who are the economic fuel behind such over-blown media stories.

Not disagreeing with you, just trying to explain.

smiddy012
03-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Blame the local policiticidans and community activists for encouraging balkanization of the poor into tribal pockets and using them to keep the $$$$ flowing back into their pockets.

I was being sarcastic fyi. There aren't enough jobs to go around anyways. Implying that people could get a job in the south side if they wanted to is ludicrous in itself. People in the burbs can't even find jobs.

PlayDPlease
03-30-2012, 11:11 PM
This is absolutely nothing new. Chicago has owned LA & NYC murder-per-capita for many years now. Our only competition has been WDC.

Race vs. Race stories SELL MORE, so I suppose we should blame the media for what the American people are interested in, for what the American people pay tickets for.

People blame the media for the fact that they enjoy race-wars, yet it's the people who are the economic fuel behind such over-blown media stories.

So the media explains Obama throwing gasoline on the Florida fire?

I get Rev Al and Sweet Lou using this to raise money, get power and live large. Those two are hustlers except they don't use girls or drugs -- they use religion and tribalism to get Federal and State money.

But man, it is bad right now. 117 murders? Mostly gang stuff. Where are Jesse, Sweet Lou, Rev Wright et al ... this is their town. Where is the President? That is his town.

Sad.

PlayDPlease
03-30-2012, 11:12 PM
I was being sarcastic fyi. There aren't enough jobs to go around anyways. Implying that people could get a job in the south side if they wanted to is ludicrous in itself. People in the burbs can't even find jobs.

People in the Suburbs are not running around killing each other as if swatting flies.

smiddy012
03-30-2012, 11:15 PM
People in the Suburbs are not running around killing each other as if swatting flies.

Yeah I'm one of those weird people who'd kill and sell drugs for my families survival when forced to. So we can't relate.

smiddy012
03-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Chicago's the most segregated city in the nation's history. And it still is the most segregated city. I suppose we can blame the local politicians, civic leaders, and the ever-famous lynch-pins Rev. Sharpton & Jackson for that.

PlayDPlease
03-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Yeah I'm one of those weird people who'd kill and sell drugs for my families survival when forced to. So we can't relate.

Your family would not survive if you took that path. Any man who thinks an illegal, sinful, violent path to material wealth helps his family survive is a fool. For even if materially, it works, it corrupts the family to it core. It ruins your children. It ruins everything.

In addition, no one goes hungry in this country if they do what they need to do at Social Services and keep themselves clean. Drop the cable, dump the car, forget the cell phone and stop buying loosies for a smoke.

And no lectures on poor please, I know poor. Probably much better then you. Only way out is to sacrifice of yourself for your kids, show them the right way and hope they use your shoulders to leap to a better life.

PlayDPlease
03-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Chicago's the most segregated city in the nation's history. And it still is the most segregated city. I suppose we can blame the local politicians, civic leaders, and the ever-famous lynch-pins Rev. Sharpton & Jackson for that.

Blame the Democratic Party in Chicago. That is how they hustle votes for the Alderman and State Senators. Sharpton is not Chi-Town. Louie Farrakahn, Jesse, Rev Wright ... they are the Chi Town Hustlers. Daley family too with their Irish Mob.

LASportsFan1996
03-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Don't Live In The Ghetto, Thoughts Are With D Wade I Guess

blahblahyoutoo
03-31-2012, 12:49 AM
this is a serious problem that's destroying our country...

blahblahyoutoo
03-31-2012, 12:53 AM

as long as the gang members are killing each other, no one is going to care. just let them all kill each other.

Kobes a Killer
03-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Chicago is a dangerous place. This is sad and unfortunate. Kanye says in one of his songs something about 380 something people died in Iraq last year, ya 500 something died in Chicago.... Wtf is wrong with this world

Kobes a Killer
03-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Your family would not survive if you took that path. Any man who thinks an illegal, sinful, violent path to material wealth helps his family survive is a fool. For even if materially, it works, it corrupts the family to it core. It ruins your children. It ruins everything.

In addition, no one goes hungry in this country if they do what they need to do at Social Services and keep themselves clean. Drop the cable, dump the car, forget the cell phone and stop buying loosies for a smoke.

And no lectures on poor please, I know poor. Probably much better then you. Only way out is to sacrifice of yourself for your kids, show them the right way and hope they use your shoulders to leap to a better life.

:clap:

I can;t find the words to say something deep like this. I'm glad someone can put it into words though

MJ-BULLS
03-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Chicago Is crazy. Get out of the **** south side.

Wish the wade fam best of luck.

BlinkManJan02
03-31-2012, 01:31 AM
idk what is so damn hard about not only getting along with people to the point where you don't have to shoot them. jesus you don't even have to get along with them. Genecide for gang bangers..collect a bunch of them then just torch ignorant idiots.

faridk89
03-31-2012, 01:36 AM

you jelly you're not Wade's nephew?

northsider
03-31-2012, 01:39 AM
The Southside and Westside of Chicago are not a joke. However the wild 100's on the Southside is literally under it's own set of rules and laws. Have a few friends out that way that I hate visiting.

LAOwnsAll15
03-31-2012, 01:41 AM
When will people be ok with not having things they cant have?
Theres always that group of people that will do anything to have things beyond their reach. Too bad most of it is just materialistic ********.

Why dont people get this aggressive when it comes to our education? Then maybe there wouldnt be so many bottom feeders looking to take things , rather then earn them.

kenzo400
03-31-2012, 02:03 AM
:pity:

What? They got involved in the race baiting nonsense. They should have known better than to play into it.

Bears99
03-31-2012, 02:18 AM
The Southside and Westside of Chicago are not a joke. However the wild 100's on the Southside is literally under it's own set of rules and laws. Have a few friends out that way that I hate visiting.

The Westside isn't as bad as it used to be, although there are still some areas that are really dangerous. The Southside is in such bad shape right now, pretty much everything south of 75th is dangerous as ****, especially when you get into the wild 100s... its a completely different world on the opposite side of the city, especially when you consider the northern suburbs like Kenilworth

Longhornfan1234
03-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Damn... Wade couldn't help his nephew get out the hood? SMH...

Fnom11
03-31-2012, 03:21 AM
Damn... Wade couldn't help his nephew get out the hood? SMH...

Assuming he didn't try to help?

-Edit: Forgot you're a troll who has yet to get banned.

fin_frenzy_84
03-31-2012, 03:50 AM
As much as I don't like the heat and especially the Big Three. I would never wish anything bad upon any of them. I hope everything goes well for wade and his family! My prayers are sent out to his nephew and all the other victims.

fin_frenzy_84
03-31-2012, 03:53 AM

Yeah even the cops are crooked as **** there

jammastershake
03-31-2012, 04:52 AM
A bit of karma from those dudes on the heat. Plus I have zero sympathy for gang bangers being shot. Probably wearing a hoodie.

ichitownclowni
03-31-2012, 09:13 AM
^^ that was low

justinnum1
03-31-2012, 09:14 AM
A bit of karma from those dudes on the heat. Plus I have zero sympathy for gang bangers being shot. Probably wearing a hoodie.

:facepalm:

tcav701
03-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Never good to hear.

However, I am unsure why this is newsworthy.

It wasnt fatal, Wade wont miss any time and there are people shot and killed every day who are merely a footnote in the newspaper.

I guess when your uncle is a millionaire athlete you some how become more important than the rest of us.

Green_Monster
03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Because it's a beautiful city? They're just living in the wrong part of the city. They need to move north side and they'll be fine.

Wtf? There is shootings down there all the time...

Anyway, hope of the people in the accident are ok.

JWO35
03-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Weird that his family still lives there....like others said, I would have gathered up my family and moved miles away from any big city especially Chicago.

northsider
03-31-2012, 12:33 PM
You don't have to move out of Chicago just move out of the damn south side. There are many of us who live in Chicago and are just fine. The Northside is beautiful and not a dangerous place to live (gangs are everywhere no matter where you go) however it is not like living in the wild west like it is on the Southside.

I think some of you people think Chicago is just downtown and bits of surrounding areas. The whole city of Chicago is ****ing HUGE. The southside may as well be a whole other state from where I am at.

I mean you have the Southside, the south of the southside and then the mother ****ing dirty dirty southside. I would without a doubt raise a family in Chicago but, just like any other big cities you have to pick wisely. In fact the Northside has areas that were once notorious gangbang areas that are cleaning up and no longer the hoods they once were.

Marlin234
03-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Chicago is ****

northsider
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Southside of Chicago is ****

fixed for accuracy.

justinnum1
03-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Wade's had almost as many nephews shot as he has three pointers this year.

Real classy.

Green_Monster
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
I hate when people say bad things about Chicago! :mad:

Fixed for accuracy.

northsider
03-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Fixed cause I am ignorant.

Correction I hate when people say inaccurate things about Chicago. Nice try though cool guy.

justinnum1
03-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Chicago is a nice place, just not the projects part...its like that everywhere, all cities have nice places in them, except cleveland;)

Mr Costanza
03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Chicago is a dangerous place. This is sad and unfortunate. Kanye says in one of his songs something about 380 something people died in Iraq last year, ya 500 something died in Chicago.... Wtf is wrong with this world

I believe the song was referencing 2008 and it was 300+ Americans who died, not people in general. There were well over 6000 violent deaths in Iraq that year.

In 2008 comparing Baghdad to Chicago as far as death tolls is ludicrous.

Wolfman01
03-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Don't live in the ghetto, poor neighborhood or a cheap place. If you live in one of these places then the neighborhood is bad and their always going to be violence and drama.

Ezio
03-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Don't live in the ghetto, poor neighborhood or a cheap place. If you live in one of these places then the neighborhood is bad and their always going to be violence and drama.

Doesn't matter as long as there are a few idiots that get attention from opposing gangs, there are going to be shootings.

Azzacadabra
03-31-2012, 02:27 PM
That's too bad. I went to Chicago about 10 years ago but I stayed pretty close to Navy Pier. I don't know what side or what part of Chicago that is but it seemed pretty nice. Has Chicago changed much since then? All cities have crime sometimes you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Birdmannn
03-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Bad areas in every city. Dont have to the leave the city to find somewhere nice to live.

Bears99
03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
That's too bad. I went to Chicago about 10 years ago but I stayed pretty close to Navy Pier. I don't know what side or what part of Chicago that is but it seemed pretty nice. Has Chicago changed much since then? All cities have crime sometimes you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Navy Pier is downtown - downtown is nice and safe, tourist friendly for the most part. The bad parts of Chicago have changed in the past 10 years, all the projects are gone and the former dangerous areas closer to downtown, like Cabrini-Green, have been gentrified. All the people who used to live in the projects moved further down south below 59th street. Now the pretty much the entire Southside east of Cicero from 59th to 159th is real dangerous, which is a huge area. The **** even extends outside of Illinois to Indiana, with cities like Hammond and Gary being in horrible condition.

All cities do have crime, but the entire Southside is like a 3rd world, drug infested, gang-ruled warzone. - http://imgur.com/NoLVr -

Everything inside of the red line on this picture is infested with gangs and home to harsh poverty, extreme violence, and vast drug abuse. There are some okay pocket areas, but they are far and few between, and are vastly outnumbered by the pocket areas that are extremely dangerous like Roseland. The situation is even more ****ed up when you consider how it is almost the exact opposite on the other side of the city, with some of the richest zip codes in america.

DaBear
03-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Chicago southside is trash. Why would Wade keep his family there? There are so many better places in Chicago (even the city itself) they can live in.

MDD
03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Maaannn multirace gangs shoot on the northside too it just they don't get as much exposer! It's just like gta video game up there everybody walk around like everythings cool while drug saleing going on, gangbanging , shootings and by all race plp no dodging it !!

BearsBullsSox
03-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Chicago southside is trash. Why would Wade keep his family there? There are so many better places in Chicago (even the city itself) they can live in.

Stop dissing the Southside. Im from there, we dont like dudes from other parts of the city disrespecting our side. And then yall wonder why we dont mess with yall, because of things like this. The Southside is a city within a city, yall just need to let us do us and we'll let you do you.

DaBear
03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Stop dissing the Southside. Im from there, we dont like dudes from other parts of the city disrespecting our side. And then yall wonder why we dont mess with yall, because of things like this. The Southside is a city within a city, yall just need to let us do us and we'll let you do you.

Well then go ahead and continue to kill each other. Survival of the fittest.

waveycrockett
03-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah i dont know what Wades nephew is doing in the ghetto like that. Wade makes too much money for his family to be in the hood.

BearsBullsSox
03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
How about moving to the north side? Maybe get out of the south side where all the violence is?

How can you blame them for staying on the Southside though? You dont understand, alot of us Southsiders dont move to other parts of the city because being a Southsider is an identity and the Southside is our home. We're more than just Chicagoans we're Southsiders and this is where we comfortable. The Southside has more genuine, authentic, and honest people than the Northside which is overan by shallow, phony, and fake people. Alot of us dont wanna be around that stuff so we stay out south. I'd never move from the Southside to the Northside even if I got rich.

Vikingfan84
03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Bunch of hoodlums, that's all. Caught up in the wrong neck of the woods INVOLVED with the wrong group of guys. Trouble only comes to those who are looking for it. IMO, that's what this scuffle all is.

magichatnumber9
03-31-2012, 08:24 PM
this is all over the country. not just chicago

chitown815
03-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I have never had a problem on the "Southside" usually when you run into trouble there is a reason it is after you

AI4MVP
03-31-2012, 10:18 PM

You're acting like Dwayne Wade's nephew simply broke up with his girlfriend or something.

Ezio
03-31-2012, 10:34 PM
I have never had a problem on the "Southside" usually when you run into trouble there is a reason it is after you

:nod:

NBA_Starter
03-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Hope he is okay

xILLN355
04-03-2012, 11:48 PM
uncle used to deliver pizza in the southside, had to use a bulletproof vest lol