PDA

View Full Version : If the Raptors/Cavaliers knew and traded their ex-franchise...

Byronicle
03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
If the Raptors/Cavaliers were informed earlier that their ex - franchise players, Lebron and Bosh, told them they wanted to be traded before the deadline, would they be in a better position they are now? Assuming they agreed to sign an extension once traded to their new team

I am looking at Denver and how they are still in the playoff picture and I am wondering whether this would've been the same or much closer for the Raptors/Cavaliers

When Carmelo asked for a trade early enough to "give management a fair chance" to cash in on a good deal because he is "not like Bosh" (Carmelo's words)

There were many trade rumors swirling around like Lebron to NYK (players including Gallinari + Chandler) and Bosh to Lakers/Bulls (Bosh for players including Bynum, Bosh for players including Deng) before the trade deadline and if these rumors were to materialize, would any of these teams be beter?

*Note: The Bynum + players for Bosh trade was during a time that Bynum missed a lot of games due to injuries in 2 consecutive seasons*

justinnum1
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
miami had nothing to give, but i don think one of those teams should have taken beasley

but miami didnt have the young telent the knicks did,

AI
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Had the Cavs been willing to trade Hickson in the deal for Amare Lebron would still be in Cleveland.

AKAYaReal
03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
All depends on where they would have requested a trade to. But I think The Raps knew Bosh wasnt coming back. They would have been wise to try and trade him to the Cavs.

Cal827
03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Raptors might have been in a better position, depends on what deal they took... I remember a deal floating that previous offseason that Golden State would have sent Step Curry (or that Pick) as well as other pieces for Bosh. We needed retooling... acquiring Deng and Noah (Who the Bulls refused to send) doesn't do that for us.

Calderon
Derozan
Deng
Bargnani
Noah

In the eastern conference, this team would likely get one of the later spots in the playoffs (6th-8th) and be thrashed by the higher seeds. It actually makes more sense for us to get the cap room and gain the higher picks than make the Bulls or Suns (Amar'e to Toronto) trade. Not trying to bait, but Bosh's value is much easier to replace over Lebron's. PFs are a dime a dozen in this league.

With how Irving has played this season, it looks like Losing Lebron outright actually helped Cleveland gain another franchise player. If they acquire Chandler/Galanari, they are also a lower tier playoff team in the east and would just be smashed by the higher teams. Harder to tell though, cause they probably could have wrecked another team in acquiring players from them.

DaoudS
03-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I know for Bosh rumors included everyone from Deng + Noah to Monta Ellis + Anthony Randolph. Obviously the team would've been in a better position had they traded him at the trade deadline.

The Cavs on the other hand lucked out pretty hard. First they traded their TPE for Baron Davis and the Clips' first round pick. That first round pick turned out to be Kyrie Irving. Afterwards, the lockout netted them an amnesty to get rid of Davis' contract. So they turned LeBron James into Kyrie Irving pretty much.

Byronicle
03-30-2012, 12:44 PM
miami had nothing to give, but i don think one of those teams should have taken beasley

but miami didnt have the young telent the knicks did,

which is why i mentioned the rumours involving Lebron to Knicks

or Bosh to Lakers

or Bosh to Bulls

netsgiantsyanks
03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
yeah, the cavs lucked out. 2 solid first round picks and they're already got out of the hole lebron james left a bit.

Tmath
The Raptors got their pick back from Miami in the Bosh deal which turned out to be Valanciunas, they also used the TPE to acquire Jerryd Bayless and I think James Johnson if I'm not mistaken?

Byronicle
All depends on where they would have requested a trade to. But I think The Raps knew Bosh wasnt coming back. They would have been wise to try and trade him to the Cavs.

both guys were pretty ambiguous at the time

and the likelihood of them signing an extension, especially if the rumors were true and Bosh did go to either Lakers/Bulls, is highly likely

Sadds The Gr8
03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
They were all quietly planning to go to the same place, so that means us and Cleveland would have to try to milk everything out of Miami, and that wasn't gonna happen. Wade's supporting cast was so ****in garbage that trading Lebron or even Rupaul wouldn't be worth it. I mean what would we take back...Cook, Haslem, and a late 1st? What would Cleveland take back...Beasley and Chalmers? lol.

I also don't think we would've traded Bosh unless we got absolutely equal return value, and that's nearly impossible when an all-star is traded. We were on a hot streak, were 4th in the East by the deadline and Rupaul gave all the signs that he was staying.

Both us and Cleveland woulda been screwed either way. If Lebron and Rupaul wanted to play in different places like real men, then this would be different and we could've possibly gotten a solid return, as well as Cleveland.

ghettosean
03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
:clap::clap::clap:
To the op for starting up this poll and discussion I can't wait to read the responses!

Cal827
03-30-2012, 01:13 PM
On a side note, I'm pretty sure we had a lottery protected pick sent to Miami in the O'neal/Marion deal... so even if they didn't send it back to us last year, we still would have got the top 5 pick.

DaoudS
03-30-2012, 05:28 PM
The Raptors got their pick back from Miami in the Bosh deal which turned out to be Valanciunas, they also used the TPE to acquire Jerryd Bayless and I think James Johnson if I'm not mistaken?

That pick was already top 20 protected, so that point is moot. The TPE was used to acquire Bayless and take on the contract of James Johnson. However, the Raptors sent over Miami's first round pick for him.

phoenix_bladen
03-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Raptors might have been in a better position, depends on what deal they took... I remember a deal floating that previous offseason that Golden State would have sent Step Curry (or that Pick) as well as other pieces for Bosh. We needed retooling... acquiring Deng and Noah (Who the Bulls refused to send) doesn't do that for us.

Calderon
Derozan
Deng
Bargnani
Noah

In the eastern conference, this team would likely get one of the later spots in the playoffs (6th-8th) and be thrashed by the higher seeds. It actually makes more sense for us to get the cap room and gain the higher picks than make the Bulls or Suns (Amar'e to Toronto) trade. Not trying to bait, but Bosh's value is much easier to replace over Lebron's. PFs are a dime a dozen in this league.

With how Irving has played this season, it looks like Losing Lebron outright actually helped Cleveland gain another franchise player. If they acquire Chandler/Galanari, they are also a lower tier playoff team in the east and would just be smashed by the higher teams. Harder to tell though, cause they probably could have wrecked another team in acquiring players from them.

more like david stern rigged it for them

that pick was the cavs pick even if they gotten pieces for lebron they could have still traded baron davis for the clips pick

phoenix_bladen
03-30-2012, 05:54 PM

wrong

they just got the TPE to acquire bayless and james johnson

HT9Canada
03-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Would they have both been in a Nugget-like position. Yes, just barely making the playoffs and getting stomped in the first round by a great team. The nuggets are a great team of a supporting cast. Championship teams have a superstar and thats what they lack. Therefore its better Bosh and Lebron left. The Cavs sucked and got great draft picks and will catch up shortly. The Raps soon too since they suck this year.

The nuggets wont be successful until one of their players becomes a superstar or they get lucky with a draft pick. Either that or they trade 3 or 4 of their players for a star looking to move. But thats essentially trading back for a guy like Melo.

Either way I think its better they left and CLE and TOR suck so they can build through the draft.

NoahH
03-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Had the Cavs been willing to trade Hickson in the deal for Amare Lebron would still be in Cleveland.

This. But nope they traded Hickson for Casspi instead LOL

But no i don't think the Cavs would have because they had a chance at winning

Vampirate
03-30-2012, 08:34 PM
The loss of bosh is nowhere near the loss or Lebron.

When Bosh left the Raptors it meant they didn't have an albatross of a contract and could rebuild more correctly without a giant bloated cntract. The Raptors keeping Bosh would not have the Raptors going anywhere really. Mostly, at least for me, I just shrug. losing Bosh isn't that big of a loss.

When Celeveland lost lebron they went from a 60+ win team to a lottery team instantly, oh yes, then there was the decision and the lebron burning jersey's etc.

Cleveland will never have a player liek Lebron.

The Raptors could get a better player than Bosh in this years draft.

Don't compare the 2.

Rego247
03-30-2012, 09:38 PM

When Bosh left the Raptors it meant they didn't have an albatross of a contract and could rebuild more correctly without a giant bloated cntract. The Raptors keeping Bosh would not have the Raptors going anywhere really. Mostly, at least for me, I just shrug. losing Bosh isn't that big of a loss.

When Celeveland lost lebron they went from a 60+ win team to a lottery team instantly, oh yes, then there was the decision and the lebron burning jersey's etc.

Don't compare the 2.

This ***** knows.

Well said.

Wolfman01
03-31-2012, 02:51 PM
I probably wouldn't say the Raptors will be like the Nuggets right now if they have traded Chris Bosh instead of letting him walk. But the Cavaliers will definity be like the Nuggets right now if they trade LeBron James. Raptors and Cavaliers hopes were too high on keeping Chris Bosh and LeBron James and got nothing back in return.

Yanks All Day
03-31-2012, 03:18 PM
As mentioned earlier, had the Cavs just given up Hickson (which they eventually did anyway) they would have had Amar'e and LeBron. Kyrie Irving is going to give Cavs fans hopes for the next few years, because he is the real deal, but I'm 1000000% sure anyone would choose LeBron and Amar'e over Kyrie. I don't blame LBJ at all for leaving (how he left is a different story) but I truly believe he wanted to stay in Cleveland. Had they landed Amar'e, I'm sure he would have been there. I blame Cleveland's management for surrounding LBJ with old, broken-down players and terrible contracts instead of young star power.

Sly Guy
03-31-2012, 03:45 PM
only way either team would have ended up like the nuggs would have been if they involved a 3rd team in the deals. The heat had nothing to give back. And since everyone knew this, the chances of having a 3rd team jump into the deals to give up assets for the heat's garbage were slim.

jammastershake
03-31-2012, 03:50 PM
yes, they would be in better shape. problem was no team would make a deal because it was known those two scumbags were heading to miami. collusion is fun!

Abel Ye
03-31-2012, 04:05 PM
This. But nope they traded Hickson for Casspi instead LOL

But no i don't think the Cavs would have because they had a chance at winning

It was the Suns who declined the trade, They backed out in the last second. Cavs wanted to do the deal but the Suns were better off staying with Amare at the time.

ciaban
03-31-2012, 04:11 PM
i think clevland/toronto would be in a better posistion had they done a sign and trade, infact miami would be better had they kept bosh, allowing them cap space for a legit Center or PG,

phoenix_bladen
03-31-2012, 04:15 PM

Don't compare the 2.

of course he's no where near the player lebron is but the fact is that we could have at the very least gotten more young players and draft picks for a player like him instead of what we ended up getting from miami.....

a sign and trade pity

we should have at least gotten beasley back why not ?

justinnum1
03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
of course he's no where near the player lebron is but the fact is that we could have at the very least gotten more young players and draft picks for a player like him instead of what we ended up getting from miami.....

a sign and trade pity

we should have at least gotten beasley back why not ?

I agree, heat would have happily gave you guys the beas. But his immaturity probably wouldn't have helped, and he would definitely been smoking that BC kush.

Tmath
03-31-2012, 04:23 PM
wrong

they just got the TPE to acquire bayless and james johnson

Wrong

The Raptors will get back the draft pick they gave the Heat in the Jermaine OíNeal transaction, Miamiís 2011 first-round pick, and a trade exception worth about $16 million.

The pick we got back from the Jermaine O'Neil trade turned into Valanciunas.

So basically we got Jonas Valanciunas, James Johnson & Jerryd Bayless for Chris Bosh.

Birdmannn
03-31-2012, 06:06 PM
yes, they would be in better shape. problem was no team would make a deal because it was known those two scumbags were heading to miami. collusion is fun!

Cant wait till we can send slaps through the internet. One day you feel my back hand for your stupidity.