PDA

View Full Version : What were the best free agent signings and trades from this past offseason?

NYman15
03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
With the season winding down, I wanted to get peoples opinions on who were the best free agent signings and the best trades from this past offseason. A lot of players changed teams after the lockout and it was a very hectic couple of weeks where free agency took place and training camps were beginning as well. My best free agent signing was Tyson Chandler. He's helped change the culture in NY, has drastically helped improve the defense, and is shooting almost 70% from the field.

So what's your best free agent signings and trades from this past offseason and what moves do you feel your team should have made but didn't.

He115ing
03-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I think the Knicks pretty much owned averyone, without really meaning to.

Chandler, Lin, Novak.

LongIslandIcedZ
03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I think the Knicks got the luckiest with getting underhypeed players to perform well.

I gotta say the Clippers and Hornets won. Clips got CP3, and the Hornets got a ton for him, solid move for both teams.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Mike Dunleavy was a excellent signing for the Bucks.

Da Knicks
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
A very underrated one that just happened Turiaf for the heat, they needed some help in the middle. Cp3 of course, billups would of being huge if he would of stayed healthy and another late one Stephen Jackson. Chandler of course along with Lin and Smith, i also liked the signing of Battier for the heat. Ramon Sessions could end up being big in the playoffs for the lakes...

valade16
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
David West to the Pacers was a pretty good signing it turns out.

Da Knicks
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Mike Dunleavy was a excellent signing for the Bucks.

Oh yeah dude is shooting lights out along with Novak another good signing. Dude came in killing it against the knicks the other night, Monte Ellis could be huge for the deer as well.

Spencesc11
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Winners

1) Clippers - trading for Chris Paul and adding Billups and C. Butler made this team a favorite in the Western Conference. It's to bad Billups went down because these team as constructed with Paul, Billups, and M. Williams as a 3-guard rotation would've been a very tough out.
2) Knicks - Tyson Chandler has brought some defense to the Big Apple and Jeremy Lin (wow what a find!!!)
3) Pistons - resigning Rodney Stuckey looks brilliant now as he and Brandon Knight seem to be jelling quite well. This team might be a lottery pick away from a solid season next year.

Losers

1) Hornets - traded Paul and got cap room but the original trade would have given them a starting lineup of Goran Drajic, Kevin Martin, Trevor Ariza, Luis Scola, and Emeka Okafor with Lamar Odom off then bench and the #1 pick from Houston??? Instead they get cap room and a decent star (Eric Gordon) who doesn't even want to play there??? Way to go Stern you took the Hornets from playoff contendors this season to probably last in the West for the next 3-4 years.
2) Lakers - the failed Paul trade and the offseason additions of McRoberts and Murphy while losing Odom left this team in a bad place. Maybe the Sessions and Jordan Hill deals at the deadline help but Chris Paul, Kobe, and Bynum would have given them a much better shot against Oklahoma City or San Antonio.
3) Nets - no big trades, no Dwight Howard, and the biggest deals Gerald Wallace and Kris Humphries. Face it Nets Deron Williams is going to be a Maverick next season and you will be looking foolish...

Pierzynski4Prez
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Knicks have essentially the same exact winning % as they did last year. How does that make them a winner if they didn't even improve?

Yes Chandler is a good player, but he got a contract that combined with Melo and Amare is going to handcuff the team for the next few years.

Clippers are the clear winners. If you don't include the draft, it is hard to find a good runner up though.

Blitzbolt
03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I also like West in indiana.Also Maressee Spreights for a second round pick was not to bad.

CudiOnMyiPod
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Delonte West and Brandan Wright for Dallas were very good signings. Both for basically the min.

Lab Rat Robby
03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
#2 definately spurs trade george hill for the draft pick that became kawhi leonard. that move had them looking like contenders before the stephen jackson/ richard jefferson trade.

#1 the chris paul trade.

#3 i had to look this up based on who's in the playoff hunt. and it could be any number of moves. chandler to the knicks or west to the pacers. but i think once and twice, even three times more the clippers had a heck of an offseason. caron butler clips, chauncey billups clips, deandre jordan resign clips.

Baller1
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Spurs made great moves at the deadline, as well as picking up Kahwi.

Was it George Hill for Leonard on draft day? I can't remember right now.

dalton749
03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
toronto signing rasual butler to drive the tank

xk4
03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Brandon Bass for Glen Davis (and Von Wafer).

Celtics got rid of their problem child and got a 6th man of the year type player, before he was forced into the starting lineup. Most one sided trade of the year imo

sep11ie
03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Yea, great finds NY. What are ya, 8 seed?

PacersForLife
03-30-2012, 08:09 PM
David West and George Hill.

GoPacers33
03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Pacers get West, Barbosa , and g hill

Giraffes Rule
03-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Spurs made great moves at the deadline, as well as picking up Kahwi.

Was it George Hill for Leonard on draft day? I can't remember right now.

George Hill for Kawhi Leonard, a second round pick (Davis Bertans) and rights to Erazem Lorbek. Getting Leonard, TJ Ford, and retaining Danny Green were good moves, but no team did better than the Clippers. Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups were great moves, but hopefully the Deandre Jordan contract doesn't bite them in the ***. I think it will help them keep Blake Griffin in town, but I don't think he's worth 10 million a year.

Birdmannn
03-31-2012, 02:46 PM
George Hill for Kawhi Leonard, a second round pick (Davis Bertans) and rights to Erazem Lorbek. Getting Leonard, TJ Ford, and retaining Danny Green were good moves, but no team did better than the Clippers. Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups were great moves, but hopefully the Deandre Jordan contract doesn't bite them in the ***. I think it will help them keep Blake Griffin in town, but I don't think he's worth 10 million a year.

I dont either, but their choices were over pay or lose him. I think they chose the right the option. We will see how he plays in the play offs to find out if hes worth it.

Lab Rat Robby
04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
i forgot about the celtics trading for brandon bass. jeff green gets ruled out for the season for a heart condition, celtics use big baby to get a serviceable fill in. good off season move.

AntiG
04-03-2012, 01:31 AM
i forgot about the celtics trading for brandon bass. jeff green gets ruled out for the season for a heart condition, celtics use big baby to get a serviceable fill in. good off season move.

it was an amazing trade... Bass is much cheaper than Baby, and a far superior player in basically every aspect. He's a very hard worker (which Baby is not), great teammate (which Baby isn't), a more consistent shooter than Baby, a better athlete (actually can jump more than 6 inches) and has developed into just as good of a defender. Total win in every way.

mRc08
04-03-2012, 01:40 AM
I think the tyson signing was a little overrated. I'll hold judgement until we see him play in a more defensive minded system (anythings better than D'antoni's), but right now i don't think he has made as big an impact as some people claim he has.

I gotta go with the clips here hands down. CP3 has changed everything in LA. Culture, fanbase, revenue, and WINS, all effected because of chris paul. Maybe not as much as some people in the media and on here thought ("clips are going to the finals!"), but still MUCH more impressive than tyson. At least for this year.

BUTCH19735
04-03-2012, 02:09 AM
The question was what were the best free agent signings and trades of the offseason.... so I have a hard time believing a lot of things in this thread.

For one, people are talking about JR Smith, Jeremy Lin, Stephen Jackson, and Leandro Barbosa but all of these players were acquired during the regular season (post free agency).

Additionally, as a Celtic fan I cannot speak enough of Brandon Bass. When the trade happened I was confused because I believed Big Baby and Bass were essentially the same player. As of now, I am, however, impressed with Bass... he has been huge for the Celtics (and has been a catalyst on both the offensive and defensive end) and Baby hasn't done much for Orlando.

Back to the original question, obviously I think Bass has been a great acquistion; I also believe that David West, Steve Novak, and Caron Butler have to be included in the conversation of best acquisition. West has turned a Pacer team into a scary contender reminiscent of the Pacer teams of the 90's; Novak has been nothing but spectacular from a career bench player who is now shooting 43% from 3PTs and is averaging a career high in MPG and PPG. Butler has always been an amazing player since his emergence at UCONN and has proved those that were weary to sign him completely wrong.

Granted, I don't post as often as I would like to, but when I believe an issue needs to be addressed I will talk about it. Please tell me if I am wrong here but I believe that people need to realize expressing a completely biased opinion (like the ones in this thread that discuss signings/trades that have occurred since the summer/offseason) has turned this forum the wrong way.