PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Picture: Can the Celtics still be a top 3 seed in the eastern conference?

Celticsfan2007
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
The Celtics have been playing extremely well since the all star break (13-5) with the second best record over that span only to the Bulls.

They are currently tied with Philly for the lead in the Atlantic division with 16 games to go.

Right now, the C's sit 3.5 games behind the Orlando Magic for the 3 seed.

Can the Celtics catch D12 and the Magic for the 3 seed in the EC with only 16 games remaining?

NoahH
03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah they can be a top three seed, but won't make it out of the second round.

justinnum1
03-29-2012, 12:58 PM
there schedule is about to get real hard, not to mention they face miami 3 times in the next 3 weeks, i think they end with the 7th seed

DragonJaii
03-29-2012, 01:00 PM
nah, goodluck in april

Celticsfan2007
03-29-2012, 01:35 PM
They are currently tied with Philly for the 4 seed, while Philly seems to be slipping and the Celtics are surging. I think at worst they end up as a 4 seed.

Yankeefan213
03-29-2012, 01:58 PM
No, no and no. They are DEAD LAST in the NBA in rebounding. There is no way they get a top 3 seed being last in rebounding

justinnum1
03-29-2012, 02:03 PM
They are currently tied with Philly for the 4 seed, while Philly seems to be slipping and the Celtics are surging. I think at worst they end up as a 4 seed.

philly has a bunch of lotto teams coming up

NYY 26 to 7
03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Take a look at the C's April schedule. Also yes the 4 seed is reserved for the Atlantic champ but they still have a worse record than other eastern conf teams. So I would doubt they will catch the magic. Just because the magic got blown out last night doesn't mean they are falling apart.

eddiev22
03-29-2012, 02:19 PM
They can be, but they wont. why? I dont know maybe they're too old

Silent
03-29-2012, 02:31 PM
philly has a bunch of lotto teams coming up

theme lotto teams love to play spolier

sintaks12
03-29-2012, 02:33 PM
The Celtics have a brutal schedule. Not happening.

Heater4life
03-29-2012, 02:33 PM
I hope so. I would rather face a Boston second round matchup than Orlando.

Jetsguy
03-29-2012, 02:44 PM
I think best case is 4 seed and more likely 7

gotoHcarolina52
03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
there schedule is about to get real hard, not to mention they face miami 3 times in the next 3 weeks, i think they end with the 7th seed

The way the HEAT have been playing lately, that might not be such a bad thing for the Celtics. :pity:

2-ONE-5
03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
The Celtics have been playing extremely well since the all star break (13-5) with the second best record over that span only to the Bulls.

They are currently tied with Philly for the lead in the Atlantic division with 16 games to go.

Can the Celtics catch D12 and the Magic for the 3 seed in the EC with only 16 games remaining?

No. Worry about beating the Sixers this year

RCarlson85
03-29-2012, 03:22 PM
No, I don't think so. Anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on them getting the 3rd seed.

Celticsfan2007
03-29-2012, 03:44 PM
No. Worry about beating the Sixers this year

I'm really not worried about the Sixers come playoff time, nor do I think they have what it takes to hold the division lead.

2-ONE-5
03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm really not worried about the Sixers come playoff time, nor do I think they have what it takes to hold the division lead.

and the C's do? We beat you down twice. Sixers are taking the Atlantic so that makes it impossible for the C's to get 3rd

ccspence8
03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
No way in hell! We'll be lucky to get the 4th seed. Sadly, we're probably going to finish with the 7th seed. I just hope we can get a 4-6 seed. Because there is a 0% chance we can beat both the Heat and Bulls in the playoffs, which is what would happen if we're a 7th or 8th seed. At least if we're 6th seed we can beat the Magic.

Celticsfan2007
03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
and the C's do? We beat you down twice. Sixers are taking the Atlantic so that makes it impossible for the C's to get 3rd

Holding a division lead for 3 months in a condensed season against a veteran team like the Celtics hardly consummates you as favorites in the division.

Beating us twice when in both games we had injuries along with the fact we were playing you on the second night of back to back games hardly paints the correct picture for this match-up.

The C's are 4 time defending Atlantic champs who are surging while the Sixer's are floundering.

Talk to me when your team makes the playoffs, if you even make it there.

D-Leethal
03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
The next 8 games is going to test what the C's are made of. They have impressed the hell out of me as they keep winning as guys keep getting injured and out for the season. What bigs do they even play anymore besides KG, Bass, and that big white dude?

Hustlenomics
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
maybe fourth i don't know about the 3rd seed

Iron24th
03-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Your thread is naive.

meloman1592
03-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Im hoping the celtics stay in 7th to drain the heat in the 1st round. Miami is gonna win but playing a vet team like Boston can take a lot out of you.

justinnum1
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Im hoping the celtics stay in 7th to drain the heat in the 1st round. Miami is gonna win but playing a vet team like Boston can take a lot out of you.

idk, boston is worse off than last year especially with there depth. I think that would be a sweep, maybe boston wins one game.

xk4
03-29-2012, 05:16 PM
3 seed is unlikely. 4-6 is very possible with the way this season has been going.

Boston is banged up worse than any team, maybe tied with the Nets. And they have the hardest schedule coming up. But Philly, Indiana, and Atlanta have all been underachieving lately so who knows

PatsSoxKnicks
03-29-2012, 05:45 PM
You should take a look at the schedule first. Honestly, with that schedule, they're more likely to end up as the 7 or 8 seed then the 3 seed.

PatsSoxKnicks
03-29-2012, 05:54 PM
BTW, in the Celts 13-5 stretch, they've beaten 5 winning teams- the Knicks (though they were a losing team when the Celts beat them and were slumping), Houston, the Clippers, Hawks and Jazz. None of those teams are in the upper tier of teams in the NBA. And only the Clippers and Hawks are more than 4 games over .500.

They've beat up on a lot of bad teams.

After playing Minnesota (who is no pushover), the Celts schedule gets much more difficult:

Miami Heat
San Antonio Spurs
@ Chicago Bulls
@ Indiana Pacers
Philadelphia 76ers
@ Miami Heat
Atlanta Hawks

torocan
03-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Miami Heat
San Antonio Spurs
@Chicago Bulls
@Indiana Pacers
Philadelphia 76ers
@Miami Heat
Atlanta Hawks

This.

Boston will be lucky to get out of that stretch any better than 4/7.

Boston realistically can get 4th, assuming they hold off the 76ers and Knicks, which isn't anywhere near guaranteed.

As for 3rd? I just don't see it unless they go on a complete tear.

Sofnr
03-29-2012, 06:19 PM
After looking at the Celtics remaining schedule i think the 8 seed is more likely then the 3 seed.

PatsSoxKnicks
03-29-2012, 06:36 PM
After looking at the Celtics remaining schedule i think the 8 seed is more likely then the 3 seed.

The Celts have the worst SRS out of the 8 playoff teams. In addition, their age is likely to hold them back more as opposed to the 76ers or Knicks, who are both much deeper and younger.

bholly
03-29-2012, 06:41 PM
3 seed is unlikely. 4-6 is very possible with the way this season has been going.

Boston is banged up worse than any team, maybe tied with the Nets. And they have the hardest schedule coming up. But Philly, Indiana, and Atlanta have all been underachieving lately so who knows

This guy has it right. Nobody can really say.

Catching up 3.5 games on Orlando in the last 16 games seems really unlikely. Even though you've been 'surging', you've only caught up 1 in the last 10, and that's with a .466 strength of schedule in the last 12, compared to Orlando's .532. Now that your schedule is about to get awful, and Orlando's is getting softer, it's hard to see you picking up games at twice the pace of your current surge.

As for Philly, I have no idea how it works out, but I think it's a way closer race than Boston/Orlando. Again, you've been catching up to us, but we've had an even tougher schedule at a .555 SOS the last 12. Now your schedule is getting TOUGH while ours is getting back to being relatively soft.

It's really hard to say - you can't accurately predict how much better or worse a team is going to be when its schedule toughens or softens considerably. You just can't. It's going to be really interesting, though. Right now I think we just edge you out in the division, but we'll see.

LASportsFan1996
03-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Not Gonna Happen

bluefire7002
03-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Probably not but Celtics are more of a playoff team so I dont think their worried about it

KmB728
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
idk, boston is worse off than last year especially with there depth. I think that would be a sweep, maybe boston wins one game.

While I agree the C's won't take Miami in a 7 game series predicting a sweep is extremely naive of you.

Celticsfan2007
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
1.5 games behind the Magic now

Fresh off a blowout win vs the Heat

Da Knicks
04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Out of all the teams in the east the team i would be scared of the celtics are the ones that quickly come to mind. I am always scared of the teams that can play half court and have a post up scorer since the playoffs are so much slower paced. Pierce and Garnett are good post up players and Allen is still so dangerous. If you get them running Rondo could shred you with his passes and then Ray and Pierce will be looking for the three.

JordansBulls
04-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Damn they are only 1.5 back now.:speechless:

Max.This
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I think its possible seeing how they tore Miami a new bottom on Sunday, but Rondo has to put the whole team on his back and drag them through

ccspence8
04-02-2012, 02:16 PM
This team isn't done, though the bench and depth is going to kill us in the playoffs. But if everything clicks and KG can remain healthy we still have a shot to go deep. Interested in what kind of game we can play against the Spurs.

Come playoff time the only team Im scared of in the East is the Bulls. But if Rose isn't healthy its anyones game. I'd rather not face the 76ers either, we have a tough time against them. Would much rather face the Hawks, Magic or even Pacers.

justinnum1
04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
they will get the 4th seed

Raph12
04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
If Dwight continues to sit out? Sure they can catch the Magic, otherwise, the Magic have a lighter schedule and with Dwight back, they'll get the third seed... Unless there is a complete collapse.

kozelkid
04-02-2012, 02:34 PM
While I agree the C's won't take Miami in a 7 game series predicting a sweep is extremely naive of you.

Probably, but not that naive. They DID beat Boston in 5 last postseason...

avrpatsfan
04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
That's a good point. But I don't see the Heat sweeping us.

Celticsfan2007
04-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Celtics have a tough week coming up that could make or break their chance's for the 3 seed.

Being 1.5 games back at this point in the season is certainly a testament to how well they have been playing since the all star break.

15-5 record since the AS break.

85BearsDefense
04-02-2012, 03:03 PM
After moving Garnett to center theyve been playing much better basketball, they arent even fully healthy yet. The C's run off Rondo, if Rondo plays well in the playoffs theyll be an extremely difficult out.

JordansBulls
04-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Well once Rondo's arm got nearly taken off the Celtics couldn't maintain. But also remember game 4 went into OT when the C's lost and they were up by like 6 in game 5 with like 3 minutes left and lost.

Celticsfan2007
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Everyone wrote Boston off (including Celtics fans) earlier this season with their injuries, Rondo trade rumors, shortened season and the aging big 3...

Now people want to call them the third best team again in the EC... I love the NBA!

Celticsfan2007
04-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Pacers just overtook Orlando for the 3 spot in the east. The Celtics are now just one game out the 3 spot in the east and no longer chasing Orlando for the seed.

Can the Celtics still take the 3 spot even with a brutal April schedule ahead of them?

Celticsfan2007
04-09-2012, 03:49 PM
2 games out of the 3 seed with 10 games to go.

It's starting to look like the C's won't be able to attain the 3 seed, but they have however all but locked up the 4 seed with their win last night versus Philly. They now have the #1 ranked defense in the NBA.. This team really doesn't get enough love..

I firmly believe this team can beat Miami in a 7 game series. The Bulls? Not so much. I'd really love to see either the Bulls/Heat upset prior to the ECF. Who knows, stranger things have happened during lockout seasons...

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
2 games out of the 3 seed with 10 games to go.

It's starting to look like the C's won't be able to attain the 3 seed, but they have however all but locked up the 4 seed with their win last night versus Philly. They now have the #1 ranked defense in the NBA.. This team really doesn't get enough love..

I firmly believe this team can beat Miami in a 7 game series. The Bulls? Not so much. I'd really love to see either the Bulls/Heat upset prior to the ECF. Who knows, stranger things have happened during lockout seasons...

I dont think so, it would be a tough series, probably go 6, but i cant see celtics beating miami in a 7 game series. Tho if miami gets spanked again tomorrow, i will feel less confident

Celticsfan2007
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I dont think so, it would be a tough series, probably go 6, but i cant see celtics beating miami in a 7 game series. Tho if miami gets spanked again tomorrow, i will feel less confident

The main differences from last years team to this years team is going to be Avery Bradleys defense on Wade and KG moving to C.

Bradley has already proved he defend D-Wade (see last Sunday) and KG proposes a severe mis-match for any Center on Miami's roster. I think Doc geared this team to beat a team like Miami with the new roles given to his players this season. I'll be very intrigued if this match-up ends up happening.

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 04:36 PM
The main differences from last years team to this years team is going to be Avery Bradleys defense on Wade and KG moving to C.

Bradley has already proved he defend D-Wade (see last Sunday) and KG proposes a severe mis-match for any Center on Miami's roster. I think Doc geared this team to beat a team like Miami with the new roles given to his players this season. I'll be very intrigued if this match-up ends up happening.

I will say, boston is a bigger threat to miami than chicago.

Celticsfan2007
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I will say, boston is a bigger threat to miami than chicago.

I agree 100%.

With that being said, I don't like the Celtics chances versus the Bulls at all. They play exactly the same type of style game, except the Bulls can rebound... something the Celtics can't do to save their life. I'm pretty sure we are dead last in rebounding this season...

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 04:57 PM
True, still i think the heat are coming out the east whoever we face, but i wouldnt mind seeing boston and chicago in the 2nd round;)