PDA

View Full Version : Who and why is a little known player that could be a key 2012 player for your team

PhillyFaninLA
03-29-2012, 09:01 AM
I was thinking about the 2012 season and of course the Phillies and I realized one player that many PSD posters that don't follow the Phillies never heard of might be a key to the 2012 season. (will post in a separate post from this one)

I was wondering who the lesser known or virtually unknown player on your team that could be a key to your season is and why you think that?

Of course the big names need to deliver but the unknowns are often a key.

Pinstripe pride
03-29-2012, 09:03 AM
derek jeter

PhillyFaninLA
03-29-2012, 09:05 AM
The key to the Philadelphia Phillies 2012 season could be lesser known Freddy Galvis. He was the guy in our minor league system that was the air apparent to Jimmy Rollins.

Why do I think Galvis fits this topic?

In the early 1990's the Phillies had a utility guy Mariano Duncan. He could play wherever you need him in the infield and give you solid defense and a decent bat.

With the injuries to Howard and Utley and the health issues that seem to plague Polanco and Rollins Galvis in a Mariano Duncan type role and solid offense could be the key to the 2012 Phillies, assuming the other guys do what they have proven capable of doing and stay healthy.

infernoscurse
03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
what is an air apparent?

PhillyFaninLA
03-29-2012, 09:11 AM
what is an air apparent?

The next in line or the guy that is being groomed to take over for.

When Jim Thome was playing first for the Phillies (the first time he was here) the air apparent was the minor league player Ryan Howard. Mentioning this to give you an example.

edit:

It might be heir apparent and not air.

Mitchell133
03-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Henderson Alvaresz. 21 year old, Jays #3 starter and will start the home opener.

Has some of the best movement on his fastball in the league, will be an absolute stud over time.

MotownWebGuy
03-29-2012, 10:05 AM
This thread should have waited a half-dozen more days. Very few 25-man rosters have been decided.

The Tigers SP Drew Smyly, should he win the rotation spot, has a chance to be an unknown key figure in 2012.

OneTuzSea
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
derek jeter

Who?

Stress
03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
brett lawrie

Zaunnie
03-29-2012, 10:21 AM
brett lawrie

Because no one's ever heard of Brett Lawrie.

Stress
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Because no one's ever heard of Brett Lawrie.

im glad you agree.

Phillysports101
03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
The key to the Philadelphia Phillies 2012 season could be lesser known Freddy Galvis. He was the guy in our minor league system that was the air apparent to Jimmy Rollins.

Why do I think Galvis fits this topic?

In the early 1990's the Phillies had a utility guy Mariano Duncan. He could play wherever you need him in the infield and give you solid defense and a decent bat.

With the injuries to Howard and Utley and the health issues that seem to plague Polanco and Rollins Galvis in a Mariano Duncan type role and solid offense could be the key to the 2012 Phillies, assuming the other guys do what they have proven capable of doing and stay healthy.

If Galvis can hit anything like Mariano Duncan I'd be thrilled.

mp3
03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Yonder Alonso (1B) for the Padres. That guy is going to be a stud.

1908_Cubs
03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
If Galvis can hit anything like Mariano Duncan I'd be thrilled.

....you'd be "thrilled" with a career 86 OPS+ and a .688 OPS?

Well then do I have the deal of a lifetime for you. His name is Darwin Barney. And boy howdy will you be excited about him!

MetsLegacy
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Lucas Duda.

Pinstripe pride
03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Who?

some infleider the yankees have. doubt many people have ever heard of him.

Iodine
03-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Strasburg, Zimmerman, Harper.

Iodine
03-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Didnt they get him in a trade with the jets

PineAppleFlavor
03-29-2012, 11:51 AM
I gotta go with Desmond Jennings for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Yea, SOME might know about him, but there are just as many who don't...and many that DO know about him, are already saying he will probably amount to, at most, a standard MLB player.

I think he will be better than 'standard', as he has made great strides since his initial callup a season and a half ago, had improved a bit more towards the end of last season, and if he can continue to do that (along with his seemingly increasing power) that could REALLY help a Rays offense that has been frustratingly inconsistent outside of Evan Longoria (and even HE had a down year last season).

For my other team, the Twins, I go with Ben Revere.
Sure, this guy has a toilet tissue arm (lol...sorry Ben, you just do), but the man can FLY, and if he can learn to work a count just a bit better, he is capable of wreaking all kinds of havoc on the basepaths.

This guy with a very good season can be key for Minnesota as he can be used as a 'second leadoff guy' in the 9th position, or be put IN the lead off role, moving Denard Span to second.

Not to mention the combo of Denard Span and Ben Revere give the Twins a VERY fast outfield and can make up for any loss in speed for Josh Willingham in right.

Iodine
03-29-2012, 11:52 AM

Well then do I have the deal of a lifetime for you. His name is Darwin Barney. And boy howdy will you be excited about him!

I see your Darwin Barney and raise you a Rick Ankiel

Phillysports101
03-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Considering he was barely over .700 in Double A and .678 in limited games in AAA abd his career OPS is a .613 in the minors.....yeah...id be "thrilled".

Zaunnie
03-29-2012, 11:55 AM
im glad you agree.

http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/misc-seriously.png

Iodine
03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
I gotta go with Desmond Jennings for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Yea, SOME might know about him, but there are just as many who don't...and many that DO know about him, are already saying he will probably amount to, at most, a standard MLB player.

I think he will be better than 'standard', as he has made great strides since his initial callup a season and a half ago, had improved a bit more towards the end of last season, and if he can continue to do that (along with his seemingly increasing power) that could REALLY help a Rays offense that has been frustratingly inconsistent outside of Evan Longoria (and even HE had a down year last season).

Which is why he was a near consensus top 20 prospect in baseball and is still rated as one of the best players under 25?

Sweet.

letsgobrownies7
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
For the Reds rookie SS Zack Cosart.

Fukudome
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I know people have heard of him, but I'm pretty excited to see how Ian Stewart does this year. He was awful last year with Colorado, but has shown some signs of being a solid MLB player, would be nice to see him turn it around, also had a pretty nice spring training.

PhillyFaninLA
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Considering he was barely over .700 in Double A and .678 in limited games in AAA abd his career OPS is a .613 in the minors.....yeah...id be "thrilled".

To add onto this for those that don't know, he is know as a defender with similar ability as Jimmy Rollins who has gold gloves but is an improving hitter but I don't get the impression has a ton of upside as a hitter, so if Gavis can give you timely hits and be a strong 6th or 7th hitter in the lineup and provides that elite level of defense (and for this year at 3 infield positions possibly) then he provides what is needed.

es0terik
03-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Brandon Morrow. People might have heard of him but he's not nearly as popular as other pitchers that have his ability.

PineAppleFlavor
03-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Brandon Morrow. People might have heard of him but he's not nearly as popular as other pitchers that have his ability.

^^^This...good one.
I believe Morrow to be very underrated.

And he along with Ricky Romero and possibly Brett Cecil COULD carry the Jays to a post season berth this season.

RevHokALugie
03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Tyler Pastornicky - hasnt' earned the SS spot yet but still front runner for it. It scares me the Braves maybe stunting his growth bringing him up so early.

The biggest key would have to be Heyward. If the Braves are going to compete with the others in the NL east he has to return from his 2010 form prior his injury. This spring it seems like he's finally adjusted and injuries are no longer bothering him.

^^^This...good one.
I believe Morrow to be very underrated.

And he along with Ricky Romero and possibly Brett Cecil COULD carry the Jays to a post season berth this season.
Is your avi from harvest moon? I haven't seen that in years

JNev
03-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Alex Presley. OF who put up gaudy numbers in minors but was never a top prospect. Played really well in the majors after his call u but got hurt. He's gonna be a great place holder for Starling Marte

thawv
03-29-2012, 01:40 PM
brett lawrie

Brett Lawrie is gonna be a huge player in his career. I'm pretty sure he's a lot more known than you think. Wish we had him!!

CarniifeX
03-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Jordan Walden and Howie Kendrick

long ball
03-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Jonathan lucroy. He's got a year and a half of MLB at bats now and a second consecutive year with the same rotation so I think we might see his offensive numbers climb. His walk rates in the lower minors were pretty good, but that hasn't translated into the bigs yet.

nyyfan4life
03-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Not an unknown but its Hiroki Kuroda for the Yankees. He will be asked to provide consistent, quality innings with young pitchers manning the other rotation spots. 200 innings of 4.00 FIP ball would go a long way. Guys like Pineda, Nova and Hughes will all go through their growing pains. We don't know what Pettitte and to a lesser degree Garcia have left. Banuelos and Betances (2 of our better prospects) still need some seasoning in AAA.

MotownWebGuy
03-29-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm betting Kuroda bombs-out in that Bronx bandbox.
A .500 hurler with an ERA +4.50

nyyfan4life
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm betting Kuroda bombs-out in that Bronx bandbox.
A .500 hurler with an ERA +4.50

With that said, we are still better than the Tigers.

jd25213
03-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Don't the Yankees have this pitcher named Mariano Rivera that's suppose to be pretty good:shrug:

nyyfan4life
03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Don't the Yankees have this pitcher named Mariano Rivera that's suppose to be pretty good:shrug:

He has potential but he needs to develop a decent 2nd pitch to be successful.

Mitchell133
03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
You're so funny

---------

I also think Kelly Johnson is very key in the Jays success.

TO Rapz
03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Henderson Alvaresz. 21 year old, Jays #3 starter and will start the home opener.

Has some of the best movement on his fastball in the league, will be an absolute stud over time.

This. & Alvarez*. Jays are 22-4. :)

chitown815
03-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Chris Sale/Addison Reed

sacgiants1213
03-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Giants:

Gregor Blanco. He's tearing up spring training and he could be the spark at the top of the lineup that Andres Torres provided in 2010. He's not expected to start, but that may change after the first 10 games when the offense averages 2 runs per game.

mtf
03-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Henderson Alvarez of the Toronto Blue Jays. There's a lot of Jays fans on this forum so maybe the non-Jays fans have heard his name numerous times, I really don't know. But this kid looks like he could be great, and he's still only 21.

Jeffy25
03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Every team has 25 very important players ;)

Cardinals don't really have some under-rated player that is the key to their success, they have a lot of very talented, but not necessarily always healthy players on their team.

The Rays success comes down to Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria and a continuously good rotation.

Royals need to pitch well enough that their offense can win them some games, if they get to the pen in the 6th inning with a one run lead though, they will likely steal a lot of wins.

Jeffy25
03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Henderson Alvarez of the Toronto Blue Jays. There's a lot of Jays fans on this forum so maybe the non-Jays fans have heard his name numerous times, I really don't know. But this kid looks like he could be great, and he's still only 21.

Henderson is an exciting young pitcher, will be more like Matt Moore or Great Britain is the question.

RevHokALugie
03-29-2012, 08:47 PM
He has potential but he needs to develop a decent 2nd pitch to be successful.

Yeah he can't seem to pitch under pressure, barely any saves

ciaban
03-30-2012, 01:08 AM
the dodgers are odd for us to compete kershaw/kemp need to repeat but its probably chad billingsly he made the all-star game in 2010 and has pitched poorly in the year and a half since if he can return to the success he had previously experienced our hope of winning increases, we need ethier to be healthy if he is he will produce, or for james loney to put it together, first four months of 2010 played great then crapped out the last 2, first 4 months of 2011 he played poorly last 2 played like an all-star, he also has always had a problem hitting home runs at home, in 2009 he hit 12/13 homeruns on the road, for the dodgers to be succesful we absolutly need bills and one of loney/ethier to play well.

For the sake of this forum though we need either kenly jansen or javy gurrera to pitch well out of the pen annd lock down the end of the game, not sure which will close though i think it will be javy gurrera, or i guess nathan evoldi (probable 5th starter) to pitch well, i guess you could sum this up as needing someone other than kershaw to pitch well and someone other than kemp to hit well

BradfordIsElite
03-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Carlos Beltran.

He'll keep the trend going of older players coming to the Cardinals, returning to form and playing at a similar level they once did, or never had.
Ala, Chris Carpenter, Larry Walker, Reggie Sanders, Suppan, Ryan Ludwick, Ryan Franklin, Troy Glaus(only 1 yr), Lohse, Berkman..just to name a few, now Beltran :D (knock on wood)

Jaime Garcia's another good choice when you talk about cardinals who's names aren't out there..yet

RTL
03-30-2012, 02:41 AM
None of these are "key" guys but just want to bring Sergio Romo and Santiago Casilla to people's attention.

Mudvayne91
03-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Probably Dexter Fowler. I'm sure the baseball junkies have heard of him, but I really see him as an x factor for the Rox.

ciaban
03-30-2012, 05:57 AM
None of these are "key" guys but just want to bring Sergio Romo and Santiago Casilla to people's attention.
i think the key guy you need you guys need is ryan vogelsong to pitch well, having posey back isn't enough, this guy needs to pitch well, i think that he bumbgarner cain and lincecum are the main reason you guys were competitive, now the other 3 will pitch well, but to compete either he or zito needs to pitch well

BlueJayFanDan
03-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Like all the other Jays fans, I am going Henderson Alvarez, since everyone has heard of Brett Lawrie. Alvarez is a good young pitcher, who could develop into a strong #2. He throws a hard fastball, and has very good control. He unfortunately does not have a lot of pitches in his current arsenal, but it is never too late to learn. Regardless, I could see him winning 12-15 games with a low 3s era this season.

PhillyFaninLA
03-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Just wanted to thank those of you that addressed the topic I raised. You've given me some more players aside from the obvious big name guys to keep an eye out for and make watching games even more interesting.

Keep the lesser known potentially key guys names coming.

Pinstripe pride
03-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Didnt they get him in a trade with the jets

soemthing like that

Pinstripe pride
03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Strasburg, Zimmerman, Harper.

i'm assuming you mean jordan zimmerman?

Pinstripe pride
03-30-2012, 09:40 AM

i thought it was martin rivera? i did hear he was alright though

scaramantula
03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
gotta go with cecil, he could go ethier way, he could get 15 wins or he could get 3, you never know with that. i think lind is going to surprise some people this year

MotownWebGuy
03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
With that said, we are still better than the Tigers.

Our last 2 post-season match-ups against the Yankees says you're wrong.
But your team is good - no doubt. But since Steinbrenner averaged 100+M more in team payroll for the past 10 years than our Tigers, it's supposed to be better. A budget like yours should see you in the post-season ALCS every year.

Give the Tigers a 200m payroll. Watch what Dombrowski does with that. Cashman is far-from a top GM.

Jeffy25
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Our last 2 post-season match-ups against the Yankees says you're wrong.
But your team is good - no doubt. But since Steinbrenner averaged 100+M more in team payroll for the past 10 years than our Tigers, it's supposed to be better. A budget like yours should see you in the post-season ALCS every year.

Give the Tigers a 200m payroll. Watch what Dombrowski does with that. Cashman is far-from a top GM.

No.

Dombroski is one of the worst GM's in baseball.

Cashman at least spends his money wisely when he does spend it (overall of course). Just because you spend a lot does not mean you are going to win. You have to actually spend it wisely, which Cashman actually does, even if it means he overpays his homegrown players to stay.

The Tigers have gotten away with a lot, Verlander turned into a stud, and you came out well enough ahead with the Miggy trade. Pudge was a good signing and he is certainly a better GM than Kenny Williams. But the Tigers have been fortunate to be in an awful division. White Sox and Royals are ran by two of the worst GM's in baseball, the Indians can't stay healthy and you constantly get beat by the Twins who have carried a fraction of the Tigers payroll for the last decade, while winning a lot more games (until Ryan tried to retire and they put Smith in charge - worst franchise decision yet).

Most of his moves are pretty awful, he completely ignores the draft and doesn't develop players. He takes inferior players at premium positions consistently and is overall a pretty poor GM. He has made some good moves overall, but as a whole, he is a poor GM.

The Tigers marginal win rankings are not good.

I'll take Cashman in a heart beat over Dombroski. At least with Cashman I'll have a farm system to continue my long term success to trade or graduate players from.

If Dombroski has 200M in payroll, he is just going to waste it on more overpaid free agents that won't help the team win at all.

The Fielder signing alone could set the franchise back several years. That was dumb, and moving Miggy to third is adding insult to injury.

Jeffy25
03-30-2012, 04:17 PM
i think the key guy you need you guys need is ryan vogelsong to pitch well, having posey back isn't enough, this guy needs to pitch well, i think that he bumbgarner cain and lincecum are the main reason you guys were competitive, now the other 3 will pitch well, but to compete either he or zito needs to pitch well

I don't think Vogelsong is all that important.

No matter who the Giants throw out there, he is going to be a good pitcher.

But they have to be able to hit, if they can hit, they are a 90 win team. If they can't, they are an 80 win team.

Huff and Posey are the keys to the Giants (and other guys like Sandoval, Belt, Cabrera)

Bravo95
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Kris Medlen for the Braves.

SportsAndrew25
03-30-2012, 04:52 PM
what is an air apparent?:laugh:

avrpatsfan
03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Felix Doubront

Jeffy25
03-30-2012, 06:12 PM
the air apparent to

I take it you have only heard the phrase said, never seen it written?

LASportsFan1996
03-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Dee Gordon Is Gonna Be Big For The Dodgers, From The Top Of The Lineup He Needs To Get On Base, Where He Will No Doubt Steal A Minimum Of 40 Bases, And Get On Base For Kemp To Drive His *** In. Guy Hit .300 Last Year & If He Does That This Year, That Would Be Exceptional. PS. Kenley Jansen May Be UnHeard Of On The Dodgers, But Dude Is Shut Down In The BullPen.

Jeffy25
03-31-2012, 12:43 AM
^ Gordon is projected to hit in the .290/.320/.365 range.

If he wants to be a good leadoff hitter, he is going to need to learn how to work the count. That isn't a very productive lead off hitter if he does in fact hit that slash line, and that isn't that optimistic, he hit .304/.325/.362

Leadoff hitters as a whole last year hit .267/.328/.398

That would place him in the below league average for a leadoff man.

I agree he is vital to the Dodgers success, but for Gordon to be a really effective leadoff hitter, he will need to improve on what he did last year (slash line wise), by quite a bit.

I can see him stealing 50 plus though.

Young2Kinsler
03-31-2012, 12:49 AM
Robbie Ross. Kid looks like he is going to be a solid lefty reliever for us, which we didn't have until he popped up in spring training.

JermanJaysFan
03-31-2012, 10:16 AM

If he wants to be a good leadoff hitter, he is going to need to learn how to work the count. That isn't a very productive lead off hitter if he does in fact hit that slash line, and that isn't that optimistic, he hit .304/.325/.362

I agree he is vital to the Dodgers success, but for Gordon to be a really effective leadoff hitter, he will need to improve on what he did last year (slash line wise), by quite a bit.

Where'd you get this data?

Fly
03-31-2012, 10:28 AM
tyler greene, seeing as our 2b situation is poopy

StriveGreatness
03-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Brennan Boesch as long as he stays healthy

AI
03-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Sox have a couple. Aviles, Doubront and Sweeney.

Jeffy25
03-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Where'd you get this data?

Baseball-reference, seasons, league-wide batting splits

JermanJaysFan
03-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Baseball-reference, seasons, league-wide batting splits

Perfect thanks. Still discovering useful nooks and crannies of that site :)

Jeffy25
03-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah, they keep making it better and better.

I remember the site about 4-5 years ago, and it has come a long way.

LASportsFan1996
03-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Baseball-Refrence Is Absoultly Amazing, Great Web-Site

JermanJaysFan
03-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Baseball-Refrence Is Absoultly Amazing, Great Web-Site
Yeah no kidding. I can kill hours on the play index.

homestarunner93
03-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Joe Mather

long ball
03-31-2012, 10:57 PM

If he has a 40 net stolen bases that's essentially increasing his slugging percentage and he'd be at or above league average as a lead off man.

LASportsFan1996
03-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Yeah no kidding. I can kill hours on the play index.

Yes Sir

If he has a 40 net stolen bases that's essentially increasing his slugging percentage and he'd be at or above league average as a lead off man.

Gordon Is Gonna Be Great At The Top Of The Lineup.

WolvesJagsOs
03-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Andino and Reimold are both solid options for this. Going to go with Andino.

nithanyo
04-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Eric Thames

NateyB24
04-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Kyle Seager

Tmath
04-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Eric Thames

Was just about to post this.

JohnBoy326
04-01-2012, 04:18 AM
Jeff Samardzija, used to be a pretty decent prospect, probably a little rushed, didn't have secondary stuff. Has suddenly learned how to pitch it seems, not that the Cubs will be great this year, but he could be a solid #3 for years to come.