PDA

View Full Version : Is KG a top 5 center?

Sportfan
03-29-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't know if many of you have noticed, but with the Celtics injuries KG has played a lot of Center this season, and he's really been tearing it up. People were saying he's not even a top 10 PF at the beginning of the year. At center though he's averaging around 17/9 on 53% shooting. His defense is still top notch. I remember reading he has one of the biggest on court/off court differences defensively in the league.

Dwight, Bynum are easily the top 2. Where does he rank among the guys like Duncan, Gasol, Horford, Nene, Cousins, Monroe, Gortat etc.

Sadds The Gr8
03-29-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't know if I'd be willing to call him a full-time Center, but him and Duncan have been playing great lately.

Iodine
03-29-2012, 12:36 AM
No.

I could go into the analysis of why not, but no.
I mean he does pose matchup threats, but no.

Overall: LolNo.

Jenceman
03-29-2012, 12:39 AM
He had trouble at center defensively in his prime, let alone now in the twilight of his career.

GiantsSwaGG
03-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Tyson>KG

b@llhog24
03-29-2012, 01:06 AM
I don't know if many of you have noticed, but with the Celtics injuries KG has played a lot of Center this season, and he's really been tearing it up. People were saying he's not even a top 10 PF at the beginning of the year. At center though he's averaging around 17/9 on 53% shooting. His defense is still top notch. I remember reading he has one of the biggest on court/off court differences defensively in the league.

Dwight, Bynum are easily the top 2. Where does he rank among the guys like Duncan, Gasol, Horford, Nene, Cousins, Monroe, Gortat etc.

Gasol, Nene and Munroe have been better. Horford is to injured to include but he would have been better as well. So no he is not a top 5 center in my book.

Raph12
03-29-2012, 01:55 AM
No... He'd barely be top 10-15.

I'd take: Dwight, Bynum, Big Al, MGasol, Monroe, Cousins, Hibbert, Gortat and Duncan over him easily; while Chandler, Noah, BLopez and Pekovic all have a case.

Oh and give me Bogut and Horford over him as well, if they're healthy.

celtNYpatsHeels
03-29-2012, 09:56 AM

This season, he is close to top 5. Injuries have played a factor in that ranking but still. KG has been starting at Center since the all star break and has been playing well. He does struggle with the big guys (dwight, bynum, deandre etc) but offensively he has been a gem.

Also, I dont think Gasol and Duncan are necessarily "Centers" so I personally wouldnt include them in rankings. Since the all star break I'd probably rank Centers as:

1 Howard
2 Bynum
3 Cousins
4 Garnett
5 Monroe

If healthy, you could make cases for Bogut, Kaman, Lopez maybe. Others that have been having a good season but not lately iunclude Marc Gasol, Gortat, Jefferson

Swashcuff
03-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Who said KG wasn't a top 10 PF at the beginning of the season is a dumbass.

Chronz
03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
This season, he is close to top 5. Injuries have played a factor in that ranking but still. KG has been starting at Center since the all star break and has been playing well. He does struggle with the big guys (dwight, bynum, deandre etc) but offensively he has been a gem.

Also, I dont think Gasol and Duncan are necessarily "Centers" so I personally wouldnt include them in rankings. Since the all star break I'd probably rank Centers as:

1 Howard
2 Bynum
3 Cousins
4 Garnett
5 Monroe

If healthy, you could make cases for Bogut, Kaman, Lopez maybe. Others that have been having a good season but not lately iunclude Marc Gasol, Gortat, Jefferson

If KG is a center, so is Duncan.

KG has a case considering hes still one of the best defensive players in the league, I think the lockout is making him look worse than he will actually be once we are back in a regular playoff setting.

Sportfan
03-30-2012, 10:25 PM
He had trouble at center defensively in his prime, let alone now in the twilight of his career.
Certainly had no trouble holding love, 5-18 nbd

Hustlenomics
03-30-2012, 10:47 PM
he's been playing great at center

Giraffes Rule
03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Certainly had no trouble holding love, 5-18 nbd

Kevin Love is not a center.

LASportsFan1996
03-30-2012, 11:29 PM
No

Hustlenomics
03-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Kevin Love is not a center.

he played center tonight

llemon
03-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Who gives a flying fahgugy?

tcav701
03-31-2012, 09:09 AM
I think the notion that KG is a top 5 center is absurd.

He's played a month at center...relax

Remember the claims that Lin was a top PG during Linsanity?

Hows that one going?

NickyNick
03-31-2012, 09:37 AM

Hows that one going?

didnt you know hes the next steve nash!?!?!?!

bagwell368
03-31-2012, 10:50 AM
The Center position is so weak and so watered down that KG might actually make the list. Certainly since he moved to C he's top 10 in play/results.

If he stays healthy, it's possible the Celts take the contract option with the kicker for '12-'13, which is a serious over payment, but the following year contains better FA goodies than this year does IMO. So DA may have been right to sit on KG, but I have a harder time justifying RA.

bagwell368
03-31-2012, 10:53 AM

Hows that one going?

Almost correct except KG is an actual bona fide top 15 all time NBA player.

KG could never have physically survived playing Center in the 90's, but how many daunting Centers are there any more? McHale played some Center, so did Duncan and KG. Push them back to 1959 and they rule at Center. This era isn't as weak as 1959, but, its hardly strong.

tcav701
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Almost correct except KG is an actual bona fide top 15 all time NBA player.

KG could never have physically survived playing Center in the 90's, but how many daunting Centers are there any more? McHale played some Center, so did Duncan and KG. Push them back to 1959 and they rule at Center. This era isn't as weak as 1959, but, its hardly strong.

Are we talking about whether or not he wouldve been a top 5 Center in the 60's or right now?

Im a Celtics fan as well but give me a break lol.

RiceKing23
03-31-2012, 12:33 PM

I'd take: Dwight, Bynum, Big Al, MGasol, Monroe, Cousins, Hibbert, Gortat and Duncan over him easily; while Chandler, Noah, BLopez and Pekovic all have a case.

Your factoring upside and theres no way gortat noah pekovick and monroe should b in there all around kg has way more offensive valor then these players. last time i check KG owed al jefferson the last time they played as well. Right now hes def playing like a top 5 center in the league can he keep it up we shall see

Birdmannn
03-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Maybe this last month but not all season.
I wonder if Garnett thinks its funny that when he still had all his speed and athleticism in the late 90's and earlier this decade he couldn't play the 5 but now he is old and slower he is playing it so well.

xbrackattackx
03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Maybe this last month but not all season.
I wonder if Garnett thinks its funny that when he still had all his speed and athleticism in the late 90's and earlier this decade he couldn't play the 5 but now he is old and slower he is playing it so well.

I was thinking the same thing.

FraziersKnicks
03-31-2012, 03:05 PM

Hate to sound like a homer, but Chandler deserves to be in that first category of centers..

Birdmannn
03-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Hate to sound like a homer, but Chandler deserves to be in that first category of centers..

Agreed.

Sportfan
03-31-2012, 03:41 PM
KG is better than Chandler. His presence equates to Chandler. Tyson is the better rebounder but KG is worlds better offensively

Birdmannn
03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
KG is better than Chandler. His presence equates to Chandler. Tyson is the better rebounder but KG is worlds better offensively

KG has a more broad range of offensive skills but Chandler is shooting almost 70% with 11 ppg and that is still impressive and quite good offense.