PDA

View Full Version : Bill Russell Question

NYMetropolitans
03-28-2012, 05:33 PM
This is for some of you older guys in here or maybe just NBA historians, I'm only 21 years old so bear with me. If Bill Russell was considered an elite defender how come he only made one NBA All-Defensive First Team during the span of his career? I was looking at his wikipedia page and was shocked.

AntiG
03-28-2012, 05:36 PM
All NBA defensive team started in 1969, which was Bill's final season as a player. They pretty much created the award due to him.

SteveNash
03-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I was shocked when I found out Russell never won a Finals MVP.

AntiG
03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I was shocked when I found out Russell never won a Finals MVP.

Finals MVP was also created in 1969, and they gave it to Jerry West despite the Celtics taking it 4-3... avg 38 ppg, only losing MVP in NBA history.

Its called the "Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award" because he never got a chance to win an award that never existed... basically would have been something like a 5-10-time NBA MVP.

NYMetropolitans
03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
ohhhhh ok I understand thanks man haha I feel like an idiot now.

Chronz
03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Finals MVP was also created in 1969, and they gave it to Jerry West despite the Celtics taking it 4-3... avg 38 ppg, only losing MVP in NBA history.

Its called the "Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award" because he never got a chance to win an award that never existed... basically would have been something like a 5-10-time NBA MVP.

He was mind****ing the other dude

GiantsSwaGG
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Who cares

Birdmannn
03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Who cares

I did.

xbrackattackx
03-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Who cares

Better then another Dwight,Knicks or Lin thread.

I know he was a defensive beast from books I have read. I wish there was more footage of him.

NYMetropolitans
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
He was mind****ing the other dude

huh?

NYMetropolitans
03-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Who cares

:rolleyes:

PhillyFaninLA
03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
ohhhhh ok I understand thanks man haha I feel like an idiot now.

No reason to feel like an idiot. I actually think what you did was smart, it takes intelligence to seek knowledge. You didn't know something so you asked, then you followed that up by saying thanks.

bagwell368
03-28-2012, 07:08 PM
I saw Bill his last three years. Mobile and intense on defense. Great rebounder. Excellent passer. Had a very very elemental offensive game. You could argue he didn't bother because the Celts has so many offensive options. There are D2 college centers roaming around that have much better offensive games then Bill.

Bill was the first tall mobile Center - before him it was 6' 7-9" slow very tough guys that didn't jump (much). But the avalanche started with Wilt and by '65 just about every team had a talented 7 footer. Bill's numbers started to head south when the competition got tougher. But he had the best coach and best team, so he could focus his energy on D and winning. Red and Bill willed those last two titles they were so spent then it's hard to describe. Sort of like the Spurs waking up and blowing off everyone on the way to the Finals this year.

There is a decent amount of film on Bill after '61 or so, before that it's a bit more rare.

SteveNash
03-28-2012, 07:09 PM
huh?

How old are you? Got any pics?

bagwell368
03-28-2012, 07:09 PM
No reason to feel like an idiot. I actually think what you did was smart, it takes intelligence to seek knowledge. You didn't know something so you asked, then you followed that up by saying thanks.

That's right. The other fellow that came into a thread like this to snark? Pay no attention.

Raph12
03-29-2012, 02:12 AM
I saw Bill his last three years. Mobile and intense on defense. Great rebounder. Excellent passer. Had a very very elemental offensive game. You could argue he didn't bother because the Celts has so many offensive options. There are D2 college centers roaming around that have much better offensive games then Bill.

Bill was the first tall mobile Center - before him it was 6' 7-9" slow very tough guys that didn't jump (much). But the avalanche started with Wilt and by '65 just about every team had a talented 7 footer. Bill's numbers started to head south when the competition got tougher. But he had the best coach and best team, so he could focus his energy on D and winning. Red and Bill willed those last two titles they were so spent then it's hard to describe. Sort of like the Spurs waking up and blowing off everyone on the way to the Finals this year.

There is a decent amount of film on Bill after '61 or so, before that it's a bit more rare.

I think his passing may have been the most underrated part of his game. Everyone knows he was all-world defensively and on the glass, not many people know of his passing... I wish there was a better way to compare between eras.

tredigs
03-29-2012, 03:33 PM
As the others posted, the Defensive Player of the Year award and Finals MVP award ARE Bill Russel's awards. He would have by far the most in NBA history of both had they existed.

magichatnumber9
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I love these threads because I forgot when that award was started. Good Stuff