PDA

View Full Version : We gotta Ball Club!

Lawtonis
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I've been a Jays fan since I was a kid, 26 now. For the first time in a long time..... I feel like we gotta ball club..... Add a solid pitcher and bat and I'm really excited.

What do you guys think?

DeRozan10
03-28-2012, 03:20 PM
I've been a Jays fan since I was a kid, 26 now. For the first time in a long time..... I feel like we gotta ball club..... Add a solid pitcher and bat and I'm really excited.

What do you guys think?

Yea it could be a great season no doubt.

The catch is, this team, probably more than any other possible contender, has soooo many question marks.

es0terik
03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah I finished my Jays writeup for the MLB Roundtable last night and that's all I was able to talk about is how many question marks we have right now.

urban legend
03-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Agreed. In so anxious for this season to start. Even booked the first game off from work so I could watch it. But I keep reminding myself that its spring training, almost every player has a question mark around him and there is alot of better teams than us on paper. Hopefully we are in the hunt right up until October. That would a small win for us if we don't make it in

scottythegreat1
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Anxious to see how it turns out, but Im not counting my blessings on this one.

Honestly, Ive seen the Expos and the Marlins both come in first place in Grapefruit league play only to end up finishing last in the NL East by the end of that season. I just hope that the Blue Jays arent using up all of their gas during Spring training only to run out of gas midway through the season.

masTOR_shake1
03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
it's starting to be a good time to be a jays fan again, should be a great decade for us :)

Sanyo
03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Yanks and Sox have as many question marks as the Jays with their starting staff.

Yanks have no real 5. Kuroda and Pineda are just as much question marks.
Sox just have their injury issues and no number 5 as well.

TB may have the most solid pitcher rotation maybe in the Majors from 1-5.

But I think if even 4 of the Jays starters perform than thats great. Its rare for any team to ever have a stable number 5 starter. But the Jays have a ton of options this year with Drabek, Hutch, McGuire and Jenkins. Even if one of those guys break out in the next 12 months its great! Jays will also use its assets I think in the next year to get a solid starter if the Jays happen to be stuck with pitching.

Jays have one of the deepest farm systems in the league and surely enough they`ll use some of these assets to upgrade at the right time. Good time to be a Jays fan!

Converged
03-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Agreed. In so anxious for this season to start. Even booked the first game off from work so I could watch it. But I keep reminding myself that its spring training, almost every player has a question mark around him and there is alot of better teams than us on paper. Hopefully we are in the hunt right up until October. That would a small win for us if we don't make it in

Haha, I booked the day off work too.

There is definitely a certain aura surrounding this team that I have never felt. It is certainly exciting. I've been a fan since I was a kid (26 now as well) so I barely remember 'the glory days'. While I am skeptical that 2012 is the year we play October baseball, I know it's not out of the questions and I know that the coming years will only get better.

Good stuff.

MrForever
03-28-2012, 05:48 PM
This is certainly the most optimistic I have ever been going into a season. Partially due to the great Spring Performance, which I understand must be taken with a grain of salt and also to do with the emergence of some quality young stars who can hopefully all put it together behind another great season from Jose Bautista.

Go Blue Jays!

wamco
03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Yanks and Sox have as many question marks as the Jays with their starting staff.

Yanks have no real 5. Kuroda and Pineda are just as much question marks.
Sox just have their injury issues and no number 5 as well.

TB may have the most solid pitcher rotation maybe in the Majors from 1-5.

But I think if even 4 of the Jays starters perform than thats great. Its rare for any team to ever have a stable number 5 starter. But the Jays have a ton of options this year with Drabek, Hutch, McGuire and Jenkins. Even if one of those guys break out in the next 12 months its great! Jays will also use its assets I think in the next year to get a solid starter if the Jays happen to be stuck with pitching.

Jays have one of the deepest farm systems in the league and surely enough they`ll use some of these assets to upgrade at the right time. Good time to be a Jays fan!

pineda and kurado are ?

StealingSigns
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
pineda and kurado are ?

Which Pineda shows up is the real question: the world-beater of the first half, or the meh guy from the second half.

The Yankees have the least amount of questions though, to be sure. Red Sox and Rays are a different story....

2009mvp
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
What are the Rays' question marks? Great pitching, great defense, average-ish offense with the potential for more. Not seeing any real holes with that club.

HeavyArms
03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm already excited! and now with Omar!

StealingSigns
03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
What are the Rays' question marks? Great pitching, great defense, average-ish offense with the potential for more. Not seeing any real holes with that club.

The "average-ish" offense.

To me, the Yanks are a more complete team, even with their own question marks.

StealingSigns
03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm already excited! and now with Omar!

Welcome to the forum :clap:

Sanyo
03-29-2012, 12:06 AM
I have to see how long the Yanks dominance can go --
---They still have long term contracts to guys like A-Rod, Teixera and CC until 2017 (there is no way those guys are going to be playing like they are now, A-Rod is already in decline).
---They still need to sign Cano and Granderson, their two best players, who are due for huge raises in 2013 (each can realistically get $17 mil+ per year but most likely over $20 mil each per year).
---Mariano and Jeter are on their last legs and no matter what the Yanks do you cannot replace those two guys, especially as clutch as they have been all throughout their careers...
---Many of their prospects like Joba and Hughes have been busts (so far). Their prospects are suspect at best and their two best pitching prospects, Banuelos and Betances, are likely middle-end of rotation, bullpen guys, which means the Yanks will still have to spend more money to get upgraded help at pitching. Which leads me to...
---Kuroda is 36, so how much longer can he go? He`s due for arb next year so unless he does exceptionally well, he`ll be a one year wonder with the Yanks and more likely the Yanks will have to spend big bucks to get someone like Matt Cain or Cole Hamels from free agency -- which will eat into their Cano-Granderson money.

There`s lots bubbling on the Yanks surface. This was the first time in many years the Yanks didnt spend a ton load on free agents, with Kuroda being their biggest pickup with a one year $10 mil grab. Pineda has upside but at the expense of future production from Montero. Jays are in a much better position and I see them blowing past the Yanks by 2014...

StealingSigns
03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
All dynasties come crashing down at some point. Kudos to the Yanks for being as competitive as they have been for so long.

Under the current CBA, and with the contracts the Yanks are saddled with, their window is diminishing.

Here's the thing, and it has nothing to do with luck, but there is probably some techie employed at YES who just developed an Android app who has figured out how to squeeze another 4 billion dollars over the next five years out of the next-gen baseball fans. Successful brands adapt. I suppose I feel somewhat comforted that I am a fan of the Jays and not the Rays when it comes to countering that scenario in revenue generation... If only Rogers had the same penchant for reinvesting said revenue... I know, stay the course...

Sanyo
03-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Well Rays were doing the same thing as the Jays in getting cheap bullpen help then get comp picks back. They have no fans to be able to support the payroll and they Rays can`t do the comp picks anymore to build. However, that will be an issue they`ll have in 5 years down the road when the majority of their current team is gone and they dont have the type of depth in the farm they have had for the past 10 years with all the number one picks and comp draft picks. Yanks are saddled with a huge payroll, which I feel is finally getting to them, and they will need to invest each more to upgrade their club. Sox have been injury prone for some reason, whether pitching or hitting. But they do have the best balance with some decent prospects coming up. They have been the best in spending but also building from within. They will probably still be the biggest threat to the Jays for years to come...

2009mvp
03-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Yes, let's pretend that Jeter is invaluable in 2012, that they don't have tens of millions of dead weight coming off their books in the near future, that their pitching prospect who ranked higher than any Blue Jay pitching prospect on every expert list is a back-end starter at best, and that they don't have any prospects beyond 2 pitchers. Where do you get those rose colored glasses?

ghost dog
03-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Ground floor talent pool. Next sop question big league talent. Then can't believe they are that good when they are winning while missing out on the fun of watching a young dynasty grow into a league superpower

I say this because position has a backup waiting and man am I jacked

Sanyo
03-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Yes, let's pretend that Jeter is invaluable in 2012, that they don't have tens of millions of dead weight coming off their books in the near future, that their pitching prospect who ranked higher than any Blue Jay pitching prospect on every expert list is a back-end starter at best, and that they don't have any prospects beyond 2 pitchers. Where do you get those rose colored glasses?

Whatever ``tens of millions`` is coming off will go right back in -- like I said Granderson and Cano will be paid close to $20 mil each per year -- right now they are paid $14 and $10 each so thats about another roughly $15 million coming on the Yanks books (with 6-7 year contracts likely). With Mariano gone probably by the end of 2013 he will need to be replaced -- he`s worth $15 mil but they`ll likely spend about the same to get a great closer who can rival him (or trade for one but we can be safe to say they won`t be getting another Mariano back). Jeter has maybe 2-3 good years left, still is going to be paid about $10 mil a season just because he`s Derek Jeter. Then you have guys like Robertson, Joba, Hughes, Gardner and Boone Logan who are all hitting arb at the same time next year -- you can realistically say atleast double what they are getting paid right now. Its all adds up.

And Pineda is a different story. I know people are impressed with his frame and his fastball (which he`s actually having issues with right now) but I for one will go on record and say he will not dominate like people have been saying this year. He gets a ton of strikeouts but his control is still an issue and he has no real 3rd pitch -- and in the AL East there is no room for error -- guys like the Sox will eat this kid up and spit him right out -- look what they did to Drabek last year (and for that matter look at what the AL east did to Pineda last year, he wasn`t all that much better). Not to say he won`t be good. He`s only 23 so he`s still young, but I dont expect him to be this 20 win cy young pitcher this year so the Yanks better ready ready for the ups and downs this kid is going to have in the AL east -- just like another other pitcher from the Jays, Sox or Rays who come into the Majors.

Sanyo
03-29-2012, 02:40 AM
And to add, CC is the only safe bet. I wouldnt even say Kuroda is going to be lights out guaranteed -- its easy to have a great record in the NL West, but let`s see how he fares in the powerhouse AL East. Nova had a nice record, but his line wasn`t all that much better, actually in some ways worse, than say Brandon Morrow (who you have to compare him too). And Hughes -- well who knows which Phil Hughes shows up. So as you can see, Yanks are not necessarily guaranteed anything this year...

wamco
03-29-2012, 07:23 AM

new around here?

ah nuts
03-29-2012, 01:42 PM
And Pineda is a different story. I know people are impressed with his frame and his fastball (which he`s actually having issues with right now) but I for one will go on record and say he will not dominate like people have been saying this year.

agree with you there, he has potential but like Morrow last year, he was not proved himself to have it all together here in the AL east yet... yet.

nithanyo
03-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Our offense is going to be top 5 in the majors. Im callin it

town123
03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
agree with you there, he has potential but like Morrow last year, he was not proved himself to have it all together here in the AL east yet... yet.

Lets make this our personal bet. I say the kid will represent himself as an ALEast #2 starter. Am I to assume you think he will fare worse?

wagnall
03-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Excited :)

TRIUMPHATOR
03-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Absolutely excited, but to go and say we will contend this year is a stretch. As previously mentioned, we have a lot of question marks at several positions;
1b- which Lind will show up? (already sidelined with the same back issues that saddled him in the second half of last season)
2b- can KJ adjust to the AL east?
SS- solid all around
3b- is Lawrie an MVP type player or just over-hyped?
C- can JPA raise his avg and obp to become an above average catcher?
RF- is Bauts due for a regression after coming out of no where for two plus years?
CF- Rasmus?????
LF- canThames continue to produce as he did last year or does Snider take his spot and will he produce?
DH- Edwin should be ok here, can we expect more?
Starting Pitching-??????
Bullpen- should be one of the best in the majors, no question.

So, if these question marks turn into positives then we can and will compete but this might also be a year of frustration with some of these guys.

TRIUMPHATOR
03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Sorry double post