PDA

View Full Version : Another MLB Extra Innings free preview coming up!

Jakeem
03-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Direct TV and several cable systems nationwide (including Comcast) will be offering another free preview of MLB Extra Innings from Thursday, April 5th through Sunday, April 15th. This means that all or most of the games of the 30 MLB teams will be available during the opening week of the 2012 baseball season.
Be sure to see if the free preview is available through your friendly neighborhood cable system.

OneTuzSea
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Does Extra Innings show every single game with both broadcast sides like MLBtv? I'm thinking I might do it next year instead of MLBtv depending on how my experience goes this year.

Jakeem
03-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Does Extra Innings show every single game with both broadcast sides like MLBtv? I'm thinking I might do it next year instead of MLBtv depending on how my experience goes this year.

It varies, depending on the schedules. But more often than not, you'll get the telecasts from the home teams.

PineAppleFlavor
03-29-2012, 12:08 AM
The Extra Innings package is awesome.
Ya, I am not sure how they decide which telecast you get.....I think there might be some agreement between the original broadcaster and the cable/satellite provider as to how many feeds they get per season.

Reason I say that is because I noticed that some broadcasts tend to be on more than others, regardless of which team is home or away.
NESN for instance if Boston is one of the teams.....PrimeTicket for LA games (Dodgers) is another, and i believe the White Sox Comcast Sportsnet is the other.
Three I can recall right off the top of my head that seemingly had more broadcasts than others.

I've had the Extra Innings package 3 seasons now..this will be my fourth.
Now though, you may have a choice at times of which broadcast you watch...particularly if its a light MLB schedule (like a Wednsday or Thursday travel day).

And keep in mind that whatever team is considered local to your area WILL be blacked out....even if the Extra Innings package shows them on their schedule.
You would then have to watch that team via your local channel.
Also, certain "Nationally televised games" (I.E. ESPN, Fox) will blanket cover a group of games sometimes (Fox does this to a maddening degree), so you WON'T get Extra Innings coverage of whatever games Fox has the broadcast rights to...even if the one game of the three they are broadcasting is NOT being shown in your area.

ESPN is better about this, because they usually do Sunday night and Monday night baseball, which means they are either the only game on (Sunday), or you still have the option to watch it on the Extra Innings package with whatever home or away broadcasters are doing that, instead of the ESPN coverage of the game.

Also, BEFORE signing up for the Extra Innings package, you may want to check how many HD games are going to be made available if you are like my hubby and CAN'T STAND standard def crappy feeds.

Most have moved to HD or mostly HD broadcasts, but some providers, for some reason are STILL using standard def feeds.....horrible if you have a nice HD set and are used to crystal clear baseball games.

$180 for the season (unless the price has gone up), but if you order within a certain amount of time (called an early bird special, and usually BEFORE the free preview time is up), you can get a 20-30 dollar discount on the package...at least, they've done that the last three seasons.

Hope this helped you a bit trying to decide on the package or not.
Overall, I recommend. I do it through Direct TV....but ask many questions to whomever provides for you, as rules may be different per provider.

Jakeem
04-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm a San Francisco Giants fan, and so I especially enjoy it when they play the Los Angeles Dodgers and both versions of the game are available. I usually watch the San Francisco telecast when the Giants are at bat and then switch to the Dodgers telecast if Vin Scully is doing the play by play.