PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution Of The Power Forward

Section#80
03-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Is a name change due for the 4 spot? The term 'Power Forward' seems to be an ironic name in a league where strength and power is a rarity.

Since the early nineties, no position has evolved more than the power forward. It has transformed from a Position that relied on strength, power and determination to finesse, versatility and a soft touch. a sharp turn from the likes that ruled the paint in the nineties such as the Malones and Barkleys whose names were established from their abilities to box out, rebound, defend and score at will with the use of muscle alone.

So my Questions are:

A) is the Power Forward position dead?
B) who started the trend of being a finesse based forward?
C) has the evolution been a good or bad thing for the league?
D) will the Power Forward make a come back?

a - State of Come, it will return.
b - Personally, Kevin Garnett was the first PF to be able to run the court, pass, stretch the floor-skin, but also Hammer it down, Defend, rebound, box out, hustle.
C - not sure

D - KENNETH FARIED!

tcav701
03-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Power Fowards need to play away from the basket so 1s, 2s and 3s can travel their way to the basket and flail their way to the free throw line.

tcav701
03-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Power Fowards need to play away from the basket

They need to do both.

What we are seeing today is PFs shooting 18 footers 6-7 times a game and posting up once or twice.

The Malones, Barkleys and Duncans are long gone.

Celticsfan2007
03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
They need to do both.

What we are seeing today is PFs shooting 18 footers 6-7 times a game and posting up once or twice.

The Malones, Barkleys and Duncans are long gone.

Your responding to a bot lol

KnicksorBust
03-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Just because Power Forwards now have jump shots doesn't mean we need to re-define a whole position.

There is still plenty of rebounding (Love, Griffin) and post-up play (Boozer, Gasol) from the 4 spot in the NBA.

To your other question, the one who guy came to my mind first when it comes to stretching the floor at the forward spot is Larry Bird. Although traditionally known as a 3, he played a lot of 4 in his career with McHale at the 5 and was a revolutionary "big man" shooter who still could throw up 10+ boards.

MrfadeawayJB
03-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Everybodys trying to be a guard now in days...

phoenix_bladen
03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Actually does any of the position names make any sense aside from maybe point guard centre?

Shooting guard , small forward awkward names....

psuedo
03-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Power Fowards need to play away from the basket so 1s, 2s and 3s can travel their way to the basket and flail their way to the free throw line.

Sadly true. The game was more physical in the 90's. Ref's just don't let the players bang anymore.

Few reasons;

-Changes in the way a traveling violation is called. Bigs need to be agile with better footwork in the post.

-the smaller or flopping guard generally gets the benefit of the call on both offense and defense.

-The league want's every guard to have Jordan esq drives to the hoop and encourages them with unwarranted trips to the line.

KingPosey
03-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Webber played before Garnett, he could do it all too, even Malone rounded out his game in Utah.

Blake is still a power-power forward. You just want players to do multiple things, I dont think its a bad thing.

Chronz
03-28-2012, 12:55 PM
So my Questions are:

A) is the Power Forward position dead?
B) who started the trend of being a finesse based forward?
C) has the evolution been a good or bad thing for the league?
D) will the Power Forward make a come back?

A) Its pretty strong right now actually, tho time will tell if its as lofty as the 80s-00's .

B) Bob Pettit back in the 60's, though not exactly finesse, he did take alot of jumpers.

THE REST ARE BOGUS QUESTIONS

PurpleJesus
03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I would say the PG position has evolved the most. Scoring is just as valued as passing now.

Cfrey
03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
all i have to say is why is Kevin Love averaging close to 14 rebounds then??

yeah, sure, the position has evolved in terms of PFs need to be more skilled but Love dominates the boards just like other great PFs in our game

Birdmannn
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I would say the PG position has evolved the most. Scoring is just as valued as passing now.

I disagree. I believe there are just MUCH more undersized scoring guards having to play the point but not being able to give up not being the main scorer.

kingkenny01
03-28-2012, 03:44 PM
pg guard has evolved more
pass first points are a dying breed and cuz of AI i believe

as for power fowards, i like the idea of the point forward a man who can do it all it improves the game, it shows how much powers fowards are athletes instead of someone who it just tall and big bullying the game

NetSymptom
03-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I think in 5 years Derrick Favors will be the best PF in the game, and will show you why they still call it the "power" forward.

valade16
03-28-2012, 04:39 PM
I think in 5 years Derrick Favors will be the best PF in the game, and will show you why they still call it the "power" forward.

I think everyone has been saying this so much that I'm not in a "believe it when I see it" position...

IndyRealist
03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Traditional post pf's are playing center, since there is a general lack of good centers these days. And yes, pf's spread the floor now so the MJ and AI wannabes can slash into the lane. The NBA endorsed it by changing handcheck rules.