PDA

View Full Version : Magic Stat Machine...

NetSymptom
03-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Let's pretend you can have a magic stat machine that can look at anything in NBA history and show you the numbers... Obviously this would go beyond points, rebounds, assists, etc...

What statistic or information would you be most interested in learning?

I think I would like to know how many of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's points came off the Sky Hook, and what his shooting percentage was with the sky hook.

bholly
03-27-2012, 11:58 PM
One thing I've always thought would be valuable would be how often a guy takes a shot as a percentage of how often he touches the ball. Also how long he holds it per touch.

mavwar53
03-28-2012, 12:18 AM
catch and shoot % and off the dribble % for any one that would really apply to

NSJ
03-28-2012, 12:52 AM
How many blocks wilt and bill russell had in their career or what their bpg was

Shammyguy3
03-28-2012, 01:09 AM
How many off-handed dunks each player has had in their careers (think Jordan, Carter, Erving)

tredigs
03-28-2012, 01:13 AM
How many blocks wilt and bill russell had in their career or what their bpg was

Through some of their televised games/newspaper clippings of old box scores that nba researchers gathered I've read that they generally averaged between 5-8 a game. Not sure on the career, but very likely 1/2 all time.

Raph12
03-28-2012, 01:14 AM
I'd want to know everything, just look at numbers (adjusted of course) throughout history and compare and contrast between eras...

John Walls Era
03-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Let's pretend you can have a magic stat machine that can look at anything in NBA history and show you the numbers... Obviously this would go beyond points, rebounds, assists, etc...

What statistic or information would you be most interested in learning?

How many women Wilt Chamberlain really had sex with? 20000 is not plausible.

Becks2307
03-28-2012, 01:48 AM
all time leader in deflected passes

who leads the league in first shot of the game percentage

Birdmannn
03-28-2012, 03:34 AM
I'd want to know everything, just look at numbers (adjusted of course) throughout history and compare and contrast between eras...

Meee toooo

Method28
03-28-2012, 03:44 AM
One thing I've always thought would be valuable would be how often a guy takes a shot as a percentage of how often he touches the ball. Also how long he holds it per touch.

I believe that pretty close to the USG isnt it? :confused:

bholly
03-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Usage is (roughly) how often you shoot or turn it over as a percentage of your team's possessions. I want that as a percentage of times you touch the ball.

Marreese Speights, for example, shoots just about every time he touches it, but just doesn't touch it on that many possessions because the team know he's just going to shoot a midrange jumper and so don't give it to him. He'd be really high in my stat, but has a regular usage rate that doesn't tell me what I really want to know.

Knicks21
03-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Help defence.

Chronz
03-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Hockey assists for sure

celtNYpatsHeels
03-28-2012, 12:57 PM
What the win percentage is for teams with starting PF and starting C that are both 6'10 and over.

PhillyFaninLA
03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Non point guard time with the ball and its relation record all time.

Also shots taken verse total passes (not assists necessarily) by a non point guard player per game and its relation to record all time

sixer04fan
03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I would think that a lot of NBA teams right now have specifically tailored programs that already calculate these advanced statistics that a lot of you are mentioning, and use them to scout players, project players, and compare/contrast how different lineups work together.

And if not, they should haha.

sixer04fan
03-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Just for fun, I would love to see if there's a strong correlation between the number of white guys on a team and the team's winning percentage.

Also, if there's any correlation between where the players on your team are from (by city, region, or country) and the team's winning percentage.

torocan
03-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Some of the things I would want to see would be a better breakdown of assists and turnovers.

What %age of passes are dropped.
What %age of passes result in uncontested shots that are not scored.
What %age of turnovers are due to misspasses (overthrown/underthrown).
What %age of turnovers are stripped balls.

I would also like shooting %ages minus dunks to be standard. Honestly, if you're doing a dunk, it shouldn't miss unless blocked. Ever. It shouldn't be part of the FG%. It's really misleading.

Just a few things on the wish list.

Ebbs
03-28-2012, 01:20 PM
The amount of lead changes that occur with each player on the floor.

psuedo
03-28-2012, 01:21 PM
'hustle plays' per game to take or retain possession.

Chart listing Fakes to FG% and Fakes/TO% for post players. EG -> 1 fake 46%fg 9%TO

Pure numbers on who gets defenders to leave their feet most on non shots.

Passes leading to offensive fouls

Passes leading to defensive fouls

Passes leading to Turnovers by player receiving pass

PhillyFaninLA
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
(deleted I was wrong about what I posted)

dhopisthename
03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Hockey assists for sure

this and to include passes that lead to a foul and 2/3 shots to be included as assists.

iam brett favre
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
How many *****es did Greg Ostertag **** after every game.

IndyRealist
03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
I would think that a lot of NBA teams right now have specifically tailored programs that already calculate these advanced statistics that a lot of you are mentioning, and use them to scout players, project players, and compare/contrast how different lineups work together.

And if not, they should haha.

They don't. Most organizations are headed by guys that don't know how to use a pc. They're not going to learn advanced mathematics. Most scouts and coaches are against it because it says they've been wrong for years. The Spurs and Mavs have won championships using advanced stats, and the Thunder built a contender. Yet organizations scoff at using a freely given advantage. Every rebuilding team wants to be like the Thunder, but don't hire guys like Rich Cho and Kevin Pritchard

sixer04fan
03-28-2012, 02:35 PM
They don't. Most organizations are headed by guys that don't know how to use a pc. They're not going to learn advanced mathematics. Most scouts and coaches are against it because it says they've been wrong for years. The Spurs and Mavs have won championships using advanced stats, and the Thunder built a contender. Yet organizations scoff at using a freely given advantage. Every rebuilding team wants to be like the Thunder, but don't hire guys like Rich Cho and Kevin Pritchard

Interesting. Can't believe it hasn't caught on yet. It will though eventually as it did in baseball, no doubt.