PDA

View Full Version : How rich is alex rodriguez?

tests
03-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I know he had two monster contracts (The first one he obviously did not get all of the money due to being traded to the yankees), but i wonder how much he is worth.

Most websites claim he is worth 300 million....

It seems as if most of his income is straight from baseball contracts (he does not have many endorsements, thanks to doping). Unless he has investments.

Jeffy25
03-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Rich

But his net worth? Well he owns some Mercedes dealerships, and by the time he retires will have earned over 400 million in his career, but that's gross.

but he is rich.

Farsight
03-27-2012, 09:23 PM
He is richer than any individual should be...

SportsAndrew25
03-27-2012, 09:24 PM
He is one of the wealthiest men in America and rightfully so. Few people can do what Alex Rodriguez can do. He is one of the best home run hitters of all time, a multi-time MVP and a Gold Glove winner.

tests
03-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Rich

But his net worth? Well he owns some Mercedes dealerships, and by the time he retires will have earned over 400 million in his career, but that's gross.

but he is rich.

does he really own mercedes dealerships?

He will probably pocket about 200 million (After taxes) from his contracts. This doesnt include the 30 mill he gets if he reaches certain home run incentives.

Is he the richest mlb player of all time?

Jeffy25
03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
^ yes

tests
03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
He is one of the wealthiest men in America and rightfully so. Few people can do what Alex Rodriguez can do. He is one of the best home run hitters of all time, a multi-time MVP and a Gold Glove winner.

true. Too bad though that the steroid accusations will forever loom over him

Laces-Out
03-27-2012, 09:49 PM
does he really own mercedes dealerships?

He will probably pocket about 200 million (After taxes) from his contracts. This doesnt include the 30 mill he gets if he reaches certain home run incentives.

Is he the richest mlb player of all time?

yes i saw one when i was in Texas a few years ago....

sexicano31
03-27-2012, 09:59 PM
From 1994-2011 he has made approximately 294.326 mil from contracts only

BSF101
03-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Whocares

jbro732
03-27-2012, 10:25 PM
He is rich enough to bring his own food to a restaurant.

CostanzaNumba0
03-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Alex is no dummy, he has that cash invested too, he could be in the half billion range when its all said and done

misterd
03-27-2012, 11:04 PM
He is richer than any individual should be...

Commie. :D

tests
03-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Alex is no dummy, he has that cash invested too, he could be in the half billion range when its all said and done

If i was in his shoes, damn right i would invest!

jd25213
03-27-2012, 11:35 PM
yes i saw one when i was in Texas a few years ago....
One is in League City, Texas, just outside of Houston, I believe.

UPRock
03-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Very Rich, he can **** every muscular girl out there and you know how expensive they are with all the proteins, milkshakes and **** they take.

Lincecum4CY
03-28-2012, 01:04 AM
the dude can be like johnny depp and buy his own island... dope as **** i'd give him huge props for that. If I had hundreds of millions of dollars like him I'd probably do that.

I heard recently that he wanted to buy a sports team after he retired.

Is he still dating Cameron Diaz? I'm sure she has close to a hundred million under her name as well.

es0terik
03-28-2012, 01:11 AM

Well, considering that a few years ago I read that there's like 400 billionaires in America, I doubt ARod is 'one of the wealthiest' unless you used the term very loosely lol.

Farsight
03-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Commie. :D Im just saying!!! he can always send a few million (10 million seems fair) my way ;p

thefeckcampaign
03-28-2012, 07:12 AM
true. Too bad though that the steroid accusations will forever loom over himBut the money made it all worth it though, right?

How much is your integrity worth?

LanceUpperCut
03-28-2012, 08:04 AM

He wouldn't be in the top 500 riches people in America. Athletes and movie stars might be rich but the top business men would blow him away money wise.

Pinstripe pride
03-28-2012, 08:54 AM
he might have a couple bucks

RowBTrice
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM

That's not true. Lot of people can take steriods. Or are you talking about only a few of them can actually admit it??

mtf
03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Probably lost most of it in Tobey Maguires poker game.

jd25213
03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
the dude can be like johnny depp and buy his own island... dope as **** i'd give him huge props for that. If I had hundreds of millions of dollars like him I'd probably do that.

Is he still dating Cameron Diaz? I'm sure she has close to a hundred million under her name as well.
No, he is dating some WWE Diva now.

theslick1
03-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Here's the Forbes list of the 400 wealthiest Americans from 2011:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/list/#p_1_s_arank_All%20industries_All%20states_All%20c ategories_

No athletes but plenty of team owners. Bill Gates tops the list by a wide margin at 59B although the Walton family members collectively have more wealth than he does.

iam brett favre
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
He's made more money than everyone on PSD will combined in their lifetime.

mtf
03-28-2012, 02:21 PM
He's made more money than everyone on PSD will combined in their lifetime.

Yeah guys! Get off his back! He's a job creator!

Jeffy25
03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Here's the Forbes list of the 400 wealthiest Americans from 2011:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/list/#p_1_s_arank_All%20industries_All%20states_All%20c ategories_

No athletes but plenty of team owners. Bill Gates tops the list by a wide margin at 59B although the Walton family members collectively have more wealth than he does.

If I remember right, Walton was over 90B over 20 years ago.

That's how freggin rich he was.

Jeffy25
03-28-2012, 03:08 PM

You can buy an island for not that much though (I actually looked into it once).

There are all kinds of islands just big enough for a few houses just outside of larger lands that you can buy and build a house or live in a current house there, and you can get them rather cheap.

Now one with electricity and water is another story (although generators aren't that bad).

OneTuzSea
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
It's extremely hard to comprehend how much these guys make when you sit down and think about. It's hard to even imagine what it'd be like to make league minimum.

Rad_Racing
03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
He's obviously very rich, but I wouldn't be suprised if he's not even a 1%er;)

The Final Boss
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
true. Too bad though that the steroid accusations will forever loom over him

Accusations? Where the **** have you been? He was popped for doing PED's, point blank.

es0terik
03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
He's obviously very rich, but I wouldn't be suprised if he's not even a 1%er;)

Isn't 1% of America's population like three million people? I'm sure he's in that group.

mtf
03-28-2012, 05:35 PM
It's extremely hard to comprehend how much these guys make when you sit down and think about. It's hard to even imagine what it'd be like to make league minimum.

The league minimum is something like 415,000 USD I believe. It's really not like someone making the minimum lights cigars using $100 bills. It's a comfortable amount of money to make, but hardly extravagant.

infernoscurse
03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
hes got many investments in constructions and apartment complexes in FL and NY

nymetsrule
03-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Nowhere near as wealthy as the wealthiest.

S.P.
03-28-2012, 06:46 PM
He spent a lot of that money commissioning paintings of himself as a centaur.

Rad_Racing
03-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Isn't 1% of America's population like three million people? I'm sure he's in that group.

LOL, yeah terrible calculation on my part.

tests
03-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Nowhere near as wealthy as the wealthiest.

Most athletes aren't (With the exception of tiger woods/ magic johnson / michael schumacher)... but when you reach that threshold (50+ mill), i am sure anything after that your lifestyle will be similar regardless

Jeffy25
03-29-2012, 01:35 AM
The league minimum is something like 415,000 USD I believe. It's really not like someone making the minimum lights cigars using $100 bills. It's a comfortable amount of money to make, but hardly extravagant.

And considering the number of expenses the players carry, it's actually not that much money.

They only net around 200-250, and their jobs are likely in question the whole time.

Yankees90.
03-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Well lets put it this way....When A-Rod signed this new deal, i read somewhere that Warren Buffet was going to give him tips on how to turn that petty 275 million dollars, into 400 million by the time his contract is up...i mean REALLY? Look, i love A-Rod, and i think he's a great player but DAMN nobody is worth that much over the course of 10 years. Now mix that in with a couple businesses he apparently owns and the endorsements he used to have before the whole steroids thing, and my friend A-Rod is CAKED up, net worth i would say 350-400 million, but thats just a guess. At the end of the day though, this man is living every mans dream and DONT deny it....bagging females, making money, playing ball and just straight "chillin"

Yankees90.
03-29-2012, 05:17 AM
And considering the number of expenses the players carry, it's actually not that much money.

They only net around 200-250, and their jobs are likely in question the whole time.

:sigh: yea, only. If only

Yankees90.
03-29-2012, 05:19 AM

Nope, hes bagging Torrie Wilson now. Kind of sucks, i was beginning to like him and Diaz together, heard they were going to buy a house in florida. Oh well

Yankees90.
03-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Im just saying!!! he can always send a few million (10 million seems fair) my way ;p

Ill take 1 percent from that 10 million :D

infernoscurse
03-29-2012, 09:06 AM
his taste on women sucks

OneTuzSea
03-29-2012, 12:36 PM

I know it's not extravagant, but when you think about someone making money - outside of sports or entertainment - if you're making even $100,000 a year you're doing pretty damn well for yourself. Let alone four times that.

Jeffy25
03-29-2012, 06:45 PM
:sigh: yea, only. If only

I feel people continue to have a very distorted view of how money for professional athletes actually works.

It really isn't that much money considering that the players are destined for early retirement, are in an industry where a physical injury can cost you your career. You have to pay your agent, attorneys, MLBPA, and a large amount in taxes. The money you earn today needs to last you your lifetime, and the chances of you even making it to the big leagues from the minors is tiny. Not to mention the cost of living, likely having several apartments based on where you are playing at the time, most minor leaguers I know have to buy most of their own equipment on their 1500 month in season pay.

Before you make any money in professional baseball, you either need to be a first round draft pick or last in the big leagues for over 3 years.

They really don't make that much money, only the best of the best actually make a lot of money, and that money pales in comparison to what the owners bring in.

I realize that 400 grand a year to most people is an insane amount of money, and most people on this site won't sniff that in any year, but over your lifetimes, you very well will earn far more than that one year with long term job security. This isn't long term income here.

Also, league minimum is 450k now.

It just isn't that much money for these guys in the end. It sounds like a lot, but when you break it down, it's not this insane amount. Not until they get to the upper levels or if they are an early draft pick.

sexicano31
03-29-2012, 06:48 PM

The "1%" refers to any household that makes a minimum of 300k a year

Jeffy25
03-29-2012, 06:54 PM
I know it's not extravagant, but when you think about someone making money - outside of sports or entertainment - if you're making even $100,000 a year you're doing pretty damn well for yourself. Let alone four times that.

Depends where you live and what you are doing.

100K in my more rural area is a lot.

100K in manhattan is nothing.

mtf
03-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Well, it's all perspective. If you don't have much money, anything seems like a lot. A homeless man probably thinks someone making $30,000 a year has it easy.

thefeckcampaign
03-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Depends where you live and what you are doing.

100K in my more rural area is a lot.

100K in manhattan is nothing.Something I've always said about how much teachers make. Most cannot even afford to live in the county they work in here in North Jersey.

tests
03-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I feel people continue to have a very distorted view of how money for professional athletes actually works.

It really isn't that much money considering that the players are destined for early retirement, are in an industry where a physical injury can cost you your career. You have to pay your agent, attorneys, MLBPA, and a large amount in taxes. The money you earn today needs to last you your lifetime, and the chances of you even making it to the big leagues from the minors is tiny. Not to mention the cost of living, likely having several apartments based on where you are playing at the time, most minor leaguers I know have to buy most of their own equipment on their 1500 month in season pay.

Before you make any money in professional baseball, you either need to be a first round draft pick or last in the big leagues for over 3 years.

They really don't make that much money, only the best of the best actually make a lot of money, and that money pales in comparison to what the owners bring in.

I realize that 400 grand a year to most people is an insane amount of money, and most people on this site won't sniff that in any year, but over your lifetimes, you very well will earn far more than that one year with long term job security. This isn't long term income here.

Also, league minimum is 450k now.

It just isn't that much money for these guys in the end. It sounds like a lot, but when you break it down, it's not this insane amount. Not until they get to the upper levels or if they are an early draft pick.

This is so true. But we are talking about alex rodriguez here (someone who got the richest contracts in sports history twice).

Regarding how much owners make... how much exactly do the yankees owners (hal and hank) make yearly from the yankees and business affiliated with the yankees (i.e. YES network or w/e it is called)?
Obviously the yankees net worth does not = how much the steinbrenners make or are worth. I can't seem to find how much yearly NET INCOME these owners (or owners of any sporting team) make a year.

On a side note, isn't it insane how frank mccourt is going to pocket 500-600 million AFTER taxes/divorce settlement for selling the dodgers? F$%$ing christ!

tests
03-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Also, i don't know if any of you guys are soccer fans or tennis fans... but david beckham makes about 40 million a year (and its mostly form endorsements), while roger federer and rafael nadal make 45/33 million respectively.

Tiger woods is obviously king of endorsement cash though (he is tall/rich/decent looking [no homo], and he bangs all the hotties)

sexicano31
03-29-2012, 08:12 PM
I find it funny that you're so insecure about yourself that you need to write "no homo" after saying a guy is good looking

Jeffy25
03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
This is so true. But we are talking about alex rodriguez here (someone who got the richest contracts in sports history twice).

Regarding how much owners make... how much exactly do the yankees owners (hal and hank) make yearly from the yankees and business affiliated with the yankees (i.e. YES network or w/e it is called)?

Haven't looked in awhile, but if I remember correctly the owners of the Yankees at least a couple of years ago were not declaring any profits.

I'm sure it's all separated (yes Network, Yankees, stadium, concessions) etc so that they can pay taxes separately on each. So they may not show much profit, but in all honesty, the franchise is worth an absolute ton, so their annual stock options have to be worth a lot each year. And I'm sure they collect dividends on that money.

Obviously the yankees net worth does not = how much the steinbrenners make or are worth. I can't seem to find how much yearly NET INCOME these owners (or owners of any sporting team) make a year.

In all honesty, I'm sure each owner clears something like 15-20 million per year, and manage to depreciate and spend most of the profits on new revenue possibilities. I don't care how much money you make, you always find a way to spend your profits to avoid being taxed too heavily.

My guess, 15-20 million per owner, but that also varies depending on how much percentage of each franchise each owner has, some have a lot of minority share holders that also have to be thought about.

My guess, completely a guess. The average baseball franchise owners make around 50-100 million per year, but they probably don't show anymore than 10-20 million of it.

Again, I'm only guessing here.

On a side note, isn't it insane how frank mccourt is going to pocket 500-600 million AFTER taxes/divorce settlement for selling the dodgers? F$%$ing christ!
Yeah, that's ********, he didn't even have the money to buy them in the first place, and now he is coming out so far ahead it's unreal.

I had read some articles about their hilariously bad spending and lavish lifestyle. Just unreal.

If I remember correctly, their daughter was making 150K a month as an employee of the Dodgers, and she honestly had nothing to do with the team.

Jeffy25
03-29-2012, 08:29 PM
I used to work for Bank of America in Ladue (middle of St. Louis, rich area) and I can talk about this now (since I haven't worked there in years).

Scott Rolen, Stan Musial, Al Hrabosky, Jamal Mayers, Steve Kline, Jim Edmonds, Edgar Renteria and others all came into our branch over the years. Hrabosky and Scott Rolen's wife were almost daily regulars though.

Their accounts will make you want to cry though.

Rolen's wife had a 30k a month spending account for groceries, underwear, jewelry etc. And if she overspent, they would just put more in there.

But he was making like 9 mil a year by then.

It gets to the point where these guys can spend whatever the rest of their lives.

This is just my guessing here, but Pujols will have made about 400 million by the time he retires.

From the age of 21 through 81, after taxes, agent fees, MLBPA payout, and pension receipts, he could spend over a thousand dollars a day, every day of his life from age 21 through 81 and not run out of money. Not counting the interest he would earn, other investments, endorsements, and of course, the value change in money over time, and inflation.

He would have to work really hard to spend all the money he will have earned.

tests
03-29-2012, 08:40 PM
I used to work for Bank of America in Ladue (middle of St. Louis, rich area) and I can talk about this now (since I haven't worked there in years).

Scott Rolen, Stan Musial, Al Hrabosky, Jamal Mayers, Steve Kline, Jim Edmonds, Edgar Renteria and others all came into our branch over the years. Hrabosky and Scott Rolen's wife were almost daily regulars though.

Their accounts will make you want to cry though.

Rolen's wife had a 30k a month spending account for groceries, underwear, jewelry etc. And if she overspent, they would just put more in there.

But he was making like 9 mil a year by then.

It gets to the point where these guys can spend whatever the rest of their lives.

This is just my guessing here, but Pujols will have made about 400 million by the time he retires.

From the age of 21 through 81, after taxes, agent fees, MLBPA payout, and pension receipts, he could spend over a thousand dollars a day, every day of his life from age 21 through 81 and not run out of money. Not counting the interest he would earn, other investments, endorsements, and of course, the value change in money over time, and inflation.

He would have to work really hard to spend all the money he will have earned.

Damn 400 million for pujols? Where do you think rodriguez will get at (i am guessing 350 million or maybe even 400 million).

regarding the owners yearly income, 15-20 million is a lot, but then again, top notch actors (and directors) make similar money every year. Christopher nolan made 77 million last year (leo di caprio as well). James cameron made about 300 mill form his avatar, michael bay about 250+ on his transformers movies (and he is making more)... johnny depp/will smith also make like 70-80 mill when they make big box office movie. Hell, keanu reeves made like 275 mill from all the matrix movies he did.

So i guess owners of sports team do not make much in yearly income... what they mostly rely on i guess is hoping that the value of the team (the asset) increases over time, so that when they sell it they can make a butt-load of cash (frank mccourt prime-time example).

ne3xchamps
03-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I just keep seeing more and more excellent examples of why there should be a minimum 1000 posts before starting a thread. :facepalm:

tests
03-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I just keep seeing more and more excellent examples of why there should be a minimum 1000 posts before starting a thread. :facepalm:

What is wrong with this thread?

Jeffy25
03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Damn 400 million for pujols? Where do you think rodriguez will get at (i am guessing 350 million or maybe even 400 million).

regarding the owners yearly income, 15-20 million is a lot, but then again, top notch actors (and directors) make similar money every year. Christopher nolan made 77 million last year (leo di caprio as well). James cameron made about 300 mill form his avatar, michael bay about 250+ on his transformers movies (and he is making more)... johnny depp/will smith also make like 70-80 mill when they make big box office movie. Hell, keanu reeves made like 275 mill from all the matrix movies he did.

So i guess owners of sports team do not make much in yearly income... what they mostly rely on i guess is hoping that the value of the team (the asset) increases over time, so that when they sell it they can make a butt-load of cash (frank mccourt prime-time example).

The Extra 2% talks about the importance of a baseball team and any franchise in an entertainment industry should be focusing on overall franchise value and not the bottom line.

ne3xchamps
03-30-2012, 07:02 AM
What is wrong with this thread?

I don't care how rich arod is and I'm surprised how long this thread has been going on. Maybe I'm the only one that likes to talk sports instead of how rich an athlete is. :shrug:

tests
03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
ok than lets talk sports.

Where do you rank alex rodriguez on the all time batters list?

03-31-2012, 10:06 PM
ok than lets talk sports.

Where do you rank alex rodriguez on the all time batters list?

Right below Ramiro Pena.