PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to use statistical analysis when it comes to watching the NBA?

SportsAndrew25
03-27-2012, 09:00 PM
I just recently bought Baseball Prospectus, which a great book for baseball fanatics like myself. I love their deep analysis of every team and every player in Major League Baseball. I have recently found out that there are also analytical books about the NFL and the NBA. So my question to the PSD NBA Forum is this: Is using statistical analysis when watching and enjoying the NBA smart or stupid?

bholly
03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Excellent tool when used the right way. Not nearly the same as baseball because of the nature of the game (ie multiple players on at one time), and not sufficient by themselves, but provide excellent insight when you aren't an idiot.

SportsAndrew25
03-27-2012, 10:31 PM
I think using stats is just good in basketball as it is in baseball. I know the team aspect is also involved, but you cannot completely ignore stats when it comes to this sport.

blastmasta26
03-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Advanced stats are very important although many fans foolishly choose to neglect them. They are not to be used in lieu of actually watching the game, but in conjunction with it. Understand that, and these stats become fundamental for analysis.

Raph12
03-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Yes but take everything with a grain of salt, there isn't a single stat that is absolute...

PatsSoxKnicks
03-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Waiting for certain types of fans to say advanced stats are stupid (you know which teams you root for and you know why you think advanced stats suck)

Sadds The Gr8
03-28-2012, 02:40 AM
yes it's a good way, but there is a limit. There's too much people that say "advanced stats suck" because they don't know wtf they mean, but then there are other people that think advanced stats mean EVERYTHING, which is also ridiculous.

John Walls Era
03-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Of course its OK. All the good GMs are using stats to further increase their chances to win games.

bholly
03-28-2012, 02:43 AM
Waiting for certain types of fans to say advanced stats are stupid (you know which teams you root for and you know why you think advanced stats suck)

There's probably less now that Monta got traded to a smaller market.

KnicksorBust
03-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I think a better question is where does basketball stats rank in terms of it's usefullness.

Baseball is clearly #1. No sport is more individualized.

Is basketball #2?

torocan
03-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Stats are useful but have to be taken in context.

For example, the assists stat has alot of limitations.

If you go per game, it doesn't take into account minutes played or possession time.

If you go per 36 or 48 mins, it doesn't take into account game pace.

Assists per 100 possessions is more reliable, but is limited by the accuracy of the assist stat itself.

In Football, they assign both incompletions and dropped passes so you have some context. In basketball, they are lumped together with scoring into the "assists per game" stat.

Those PG's who are on teams with good chemistry (the other players are in the right place at the right times) get much better assist stats than those PG's where chemistry is not as good (they're passing to where players are supposed to be moving but they aren't there).

Those PG's on teams with players with high scoring %ages have far better assist stats than those on teams who don't have great scorers or scorers in shooting slumps.

Turnover stats have similar issues. PG's on teams with great chemistry or players with great hands get far lower TO's than PG's on teams with players who drop passes consistently.

Scoring stats have similar drawbacks. Like teams with a lack of shooters, their primary scorers tend to get double-teamed and contested more aggressively, pushing their scoring stats down than when put on teams with multiple scoring threats.

Are stats like TO's, Scoring and Assists meaningful? Yes, but only taken within the context of team play.

You can have 9 TO's in a game where 7 of them really aren't the PG's fault, and you can have 9 TO's in a game where all 9 are the PG's fault.

Once again, it's all context.

So analyzing a box score or season of scoring is useful, but only when you understand what happened during the game.

Kashmir13579
03-28-2012, 06:42 PM

lol!!

BigBlueCrew
03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
are you asking this question in every forum??

3RDASYSTEM
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced stats? thats why sports especially basketball is ****ed

How about advanced observation, Advance stats would mean way way more if RUSSELL/SHAQ/JORDAN/BIRD/MAGIC and any other legend of the game spoke on it highly like they do the 'fundamentals' of the game or the skill/athlete of the game or if i heard'em speak on it like 80pct of psd members, PER or advance stats, all a big heachache try and turn pee wee herman to einstein,wanna feel and look smart,college is a real nice choice.....if HOLLINGER,BROUSSARD,BAYLESS or anybody makes anything of relevance,its basically to cause confusion, like judas was to ?

But i guess us who foolishly play should always look toward the advance stats after the games are played...what a wackass study

PatsSoxKnicks
03-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Advanced stats? thats why sports especially basketball is ****ed

How about advanced observation, Advance stats would mean way way more if RUSSELL/SHAQ/JORDAN/BIRD/MAGIC and any other legend of the game spoke on it highly like they do the 'fundamentals' of the game or the skill/athlete of the game or if i heard'em speak on it like 80pct of psd members, PER or advance stats, all a big heachache try and turn pee wee herman to einstein,wanna feel and look smart,college is a real nice choice.....if HOLLINGER,BROUSSARD,BAYLESS or anybody makes anything of relevance,its basically to cause confusion, like judas was to ?

But i guess us who foolishly play should always look toward the advance stats after the games are played...what a wackass study

So you are insulting people educated enough to form coherent sentences? :laugh2: