PDA

View Full Version : Clippers next potential head coach...

KNICKS R BACK
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
I was doing some thinking about who the next coach of the clippers might be, because although Donald Sterling is backing Vinny Del Negro for the time being I think it's inevitable that somebody else will be coaching them next year. Some people say Mike D'Antoni would be a good fit for them, I disagree, obviously because I'm a knicks fan and I think hes a terrible coach (thats besides the point). The main name that comes to my mind is Jerry Sloan! In my opinion, CP3/Blake have potential to be like Stockton/Malone Junior under Jerry Sloan. I believe he would help solve a lot of their defensive problems and he would teach them how to play effective half court ball, which you need to be able to do in order to win in the playoffs. I also think Chris Paul thrives in the half court, people want to see him run and gun and thats understandable, but I think hes an excellent half court floor general. Jerry Sloan and Chris Paul would mesh very well in my opinion, then you add Blake Griffin into that equation, I believe Jerry Sloan could get the most out of him as well. I know Jerry Sloan never won anything with that system in Utah but I think thats primarily because of the other great teams he had to contend with during that era (Bulls, Lakers, Spurs). None the less I think Jerry Sloan is one of the better coaches of my lifetime and I believe his system would be a perfect fit with the clippers, any thoughts?

ATLPRIMETIME21
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Yea I could definitely see Jerry Sloan but what about Jeff Van Gundy. I heard a rumor that he was contemplating a return to coaching

KNICKS R BACK
03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
i love Jeff Van Gundy but the more time that goes by I'm thinking more and more that he was just a product of Pat Riley's teachings, none the less he'd probaly be a good fit as well.

icon1914
03-27-2012, 07:22 PM
I can see Sloan.... Love to see someone help Blake reach his potential. A hard working Sloan coached Clippers could be trouble in the West.

king_of_limbs
03-27-2012, 07:23 PM
What about Phil Jackson? He will already be acclimated with the Staples building, and they won't have "Lights Out" for Clippers Home Games, that way he can stay awake during the games. It's a win-win

LakersA's49ers
03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
sloan and van gundy makes a lot of sense actually. i cant see phil come back to coaching though

justinnum1
03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Who would want to work for sterling?

bmd1101
03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Who would want to work for sterling?

Someone with a brain! Maybe he could send his hooker over to Phil's house to talk contract? Smoke some peyote ya know.

ThunderousDemon
03-27-2012, 07:46 PM
If the Clippers would take in Mike Brown as their next head coach, then the Lakers would obviously sweeten the deal by throwing in Blake and Murphy. :D

jiggin
03-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Nate McMillion...book it.

waveycrockett
03-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Mike D'Antoni would be the perfect fit. Knicks management and fans were just too short sided to ever give the guy the players he needed. I mean he won 30+ games with David Lee and Chris Duhon as his two best players, he made Jeremy Lin, a certified backup PG, look like the a top-20 player in the game. That's all I need to know that tell me his system works.

Birdmannn
03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Nope Sloan is heading to Miami.

waveycrockett
03-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Nope Sloan is heading to Miami.

LeBron and Wade would opt out before they ever played under a hard *** like Sloan. He is a great coach but they'd never play under him.

pd7631
03-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Out of curiosity, what is it exactly that has Del Negro on the hot seat?

The Clippers haven't had a winning season in how long? and Del Negro has them in the 4th seed in the West with a lot of moving parts (offseason additions, Billups' injury, Nick Young trade, etc.), in a season with very limited practice time.

Any Clippers fans want to clue me in? Or is it just a matter of fans being greedy and expecting a team to make a leap from a .390 winning % to being championship favorites overnight?

waveycrockett
03-27-2012, 08:55 PM

The Clippers haven't had a winning season in how long? and Del Negro has them in the 4th seed in the West with a lot of moving parts (offseason additions, Billups' injury, Nick Young trade, etc.), in a season with very limited practice time.

Any Clippers fans want to clue me in? Or is it just a matter of fans being greedy and expecting a team to make a leap from a .390 winning % to being championship favorites overnight?

VDN has always been a horrible coach but a great salesman. He never has respect of his stars stemming back from Chicago and he is terrible X's and O's. It's not that they are 4th seed it's that they slipping hard and losing games they shouldn't and obviously grumblings in the locker room or none of this would be an issue.

SportsAndrew25
03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I can definitely see D'Antoni as a choice for head coach. The Clippers have an incredible duo of offensive talent, which is what D'Antoni likes. In addition to that, the Clippers have an incredible point guard, which is practically the foundation of D'Antoni's system.

Birdmannn
03-28-2012, 03:31 AM
LeBron and Wade would opt out before they ever played under a hard *** like Sloan. He is a great coach but they'd never play under him.

I would like to argue with you but your probably right. Would be nice to see them player hard and without their egos every game. Might take a lot more work with a lot less time for fun but god damn if Wade and James had a good coach they could be so much more impressive.

torocan
03-28-2012, 09:02 AM
I can definitely see D'Antoni as a choice for head coach. The Clippers have an incredible duo of offensive talent, which is what D'Antoni likes. In addition to that, the Clippers have an incredible point guard, which is practically the foundation of D'Antoni's system.

Some truth to this.

There's never a question of who the star is on a D'Antoni team is, and that's the PG. Since the Clippers already have a star PG, there's no ego's to clash. Everyone already knows how good their PG is.

And really, D'Antoni's gotten a bit of a bad rap on Defense. During the week of Linsanity, the Knicks had the #1 defense in the league by some measures. The Knicks D this year really hasn't been horrible.

I honestly think he's learned since Phoenix that he needs a good defensive assistant coach to balance his offensive leanings.

CP and Griffin are both young and Griffin is freakishly athletic. Toss in some good role players, and a strong perimeter wing and you've got the makings of a really terrifying team.

The toughest part will be the chemistry. CP and Blake will need to be self-motivated to work under D'Antoni. He's not an in your face type of coach. He expects his players to want to perform and want to lead. It's why Nash and Lin were perfect players for his system.

Sloan is good, but I really don't think he'd maximize CP nearly as much as D'Antoni. And not maximizing CP in a Sloan system would be as much of a waste as not maximizing Melo in a D'Antoni system.

And the Clippers fanbase is ALOT more patient than the NY fanbase. Knicks have a single loss and there's panic in the air.

todu82
03-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Jerry Sloan turned 70 today, doubt he's coming back to coaching in the NBA. Jeff Van Gundy would be a good choice though.

DaBUU
03-28-2012, 11:27 AM

his hair and the fact that he's Vinny.

He115ing
03-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Mike D'Antoni would be the perfect fit. Knicks management and fans were just too short sided to ever give the guy the players he needed. I mean he won 30+ games with David Lee and Chris Duhon as his two best players, he made Jeremy Lin, a certified backup PG, look like the a top-20 player in the game. That's all I need to know that tell me his system works.

His system does not work. He never won with it, even though he had plenty of opportunity. When asked to tweak his system with the Suns he left. He failed with the Knicks for 3.5 years, and he does not know what defense is Clippers fans should be terrified of having Dantoni as a coach.

mgsports
03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Bob or Brian Hill?
Frank?
Former Clipper?
Matty Goukas?
Kurt Rambis?
Sam Mitchell?
Mike Fatello?
Hubie Brown?

Chronz
03-28-2012, 01:01 PM

I have no freaking clue, they blame him for players not being able to perform a D-League task, like in bounding the ball. Sure Gomes may not be a great player, the simple fact that he was a rotational player for us spoke of our lack of depth, but no matter how bad a player is, he should be able to in bound a ball, and its certainly not something we would have a great handle on measuring.

Hes had some lapses and his substitution patterns arent standard NBA philosophy but mostly they want him out because there is no trust that hes the coach that can eventually take us where we want to go. He was a great coach for a rebuilding team, but the teams talent grew quicker than he has so there is no time to waste.

E.O.21
03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Larry Brown anybody? Or is he retired? .. not sure