PDA

View Full Version : Fatal flaw of defensive-savvy Heat?

CHANGO
03-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Fatal flaw of defensive-savvy Heat?

The Heat are bucking this anti-triple trend aggressively, and in the big picture, it’s working. Miami ranks fifth in points allowed per possession, meaning it has remained an elite defense, despite allowing all those threes. It’s not hard to see why. The Heat force turnovers more often than all but two teams, and no team has allowed a lower shooting percentage on attempts at the rim, per Hoopdata. Assisted baskets near the rim have been especially hard for Miami opponents to come by, suggesting the Heat allow few easy buckets from close range.

The turnovers and the low shooting percentage on close shots both stem from Miami’s general attacking defensive philosophy. The Heat reveal their aggression in two places: at the point of attack, and in the paint. They have their big men blitz ball-handlers on pick-and-roll plays in hopes of cutting off opposing point guards, moving them backward or sideways and forcing them to pick up their dribble. That leaves the screener free to roll into the paint, but as he does so, he can count on Dwyane Wade or LeBron James crashing down from the three-point arc, meeting him at the foul line with a hard bump and sticking around until one of the Miami bigs can recover back toward the rim.

Miami’s defense dares an opponent to beat the Heat with third or fourth options. It is a scary, swarming attack that can unnerve teams who aren’t quite ready for it or aren’t well-stocked with skilled passers and shooters. The worst case scenario for the Heat is to come across a team that is stocked with such players — a team comfortable swinging the ball around the perimeter with precise, quick-hitting passes and purposeful dribbles until a hole emerges. And even then, Miami is confident its elite athletes can dart into the right passing lane for a steal or run out at a spot-up shooter faster than that shooter is expecting and contest a jumper.

Lots of those three-pointers Miami allows are taken out of near desperation, after an offense just can’t find anything else. But a good chunk of them are good looks teams can earn by moving the ball around until Miami’s defense finally cracks. That is the trade-off the Heat make , the gamble at the heart of their defensive philosophy: They think they can hold strong or seal their cracks before opponents can take advantage of them.

Full story:
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/03/27/fatal-flaw-of-defensive-savvy-heat/

This explains it: On Miami's defense, going aggressively against everything the last decade of NBA history supposedly taught.

gotoHcarolina52
03-27-2012, 05:49 PM
3pt defense has been a problem, but it's less than "fatal." We'll be fine

CHANGO
03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Another HEAT struggles analysis.

10 Burning Issues for the Miami Heat

Since storming into the All-Star break last month with the league's best record, the Heat have gone just 8-6 and have split their past eight games. With 18 remaining, there's still plenty of time for Miami to catch Chicago for the top seed in the East, re-establish the rhythm the Heat played with last month, and enter the postseason in beast mode.

But LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and crew must first blast some bad habits, and their teammates need to buck some disturbing trends to get back on their feet. Without further ado, let's break down '10 Burning Issues' facing the Heat.

1. Quack Attack Gone Whack
Perhaps it's time for Erik Spoelstra to again reach out to Oregon football coach Chip Kelly. That “pace and space” offense the Heat entered the season committed to playing is now more like “stand and stare.” They haven't cracked the 100-point mark in a victory since March 6. Meanwhile, opponents have caught up in recent weeks. Miami has surrendered 100 points five times the past 16 games compared with just twice in the previous 20. The Heat committed 55 turnovers the past three games and haven't shot 50 percent from the field since a March 6 win against the New Jersey Nets. It's a team in desperate need of a jumpstart.

2. LeBron's Familiar Woes, Elbows and Lows
Granted, LeBron is making a lot of the so-called “right” basketball plays. He just needs to stop trying to make so many of them to Joel Anthony on the receiving end. For several games now, LeBron has gone out of his way to pass the ball in the fourth quarter. I'm not faulting his overall decision-making or facilitating. And his recent elbow soreness stemming from those hard falls against Phoenix last week is affecting his approach, at least in part. But in Miami's last five losses, LeBron has shot just 33 percent from the field in the fourth quarter. That's the same percentage he also shot in the final period of the Heat's last five victories. That comes in the midst of a season in which he's shooting a career-best 53.4 percent overall. In six of those 10 games, he's attempted three or fewer shots in the fourth. If he's hurting, he needs to sit a few games and get healthy for the moments when these games really count.

3. Time To Panic at Point Guard?
It truly is ironic how just when the Heat make a move to address issues up front, the point guard play springs a leak. Someone needs to check Mario Chalmers' ID. This isn't the Chalmers who tried to play his way into the discussion for the league's Most Improved Player award. The same Chalmers who torched the NBA before he got that invite to the 3-point contest at All-Star weekend is now shooting just 34.3 percent from the field in March. His defense has also reverted to being as inconsistent as his shooting stroke. Rookie backup Norris Cole needs Boston to hurry up and come back around on the schedule. He spoiled everyone with that 20-point game in the home opener against the Celtics, and we haven't seen that kind of breakout play since December. Cole has had his moments this season. But as the team's pace has slowed down, so has his impact on that second unit.

4. Overdue For a Bosh Breakthrough
Off the court, it's a beautiful time for Bosh and his new bride as they await the arrival of their newborn. But on the court, it seems as if Bosh has been on paternity leave. In just the past two games, the defensive lapses and blown coverages have been abysmal. He can search all he wants for ways to be a bigger part of the offense. But until Bosh finds a bit more toughness in the post on defense, this is a problem that will only get worse as the games become more meaningful into the playoffs. Even with the starpower of LeBron and Wade, the Heat aren't a championship team unless Bosh plays to his potential. There's no other way to put it. Bosh's rebounding has been sporadic all season, but it was downgraded to atrocious in losses to the Thunder and Pacers. He had seven boards in 72 minutes against the kind of length he's certain to face in the playoffs. And that's without getting into his nine turnovers in those same two games.

5. Wade Waging Silent Protest?
Something – or someone – is ticking off Dwyane Wade these days. His body language is speaking volumes. He tried to channel that frustration back at Kendrick Perkins, but Perkins didn't return Wade's stare in Oklahoma City after that foot-to-the-face incident. And this recent 3-point barrage Wade is on represents so-called “hero ball” at its most extreme. Wade only attempted 32 threes in his first 37 games this season. He's jacked up 12 the past two – and that's including a fourth quarter in OKC when he didn't attempt any shots and declined to talk about the offense afterward. There very well could be a slight disconnect right now between Wade and LeBron or Wade and Spoelstra – or Wade and both. Those things happen over the course of a season. But how long will this linger?

Full Story:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/13135/10-burning-issues-for-the-miami-heat

And a random comment from one user.

77onuer

Reasons for the slump which explain why the Heat is a meager 8 and 6 in March:
-Lebron is in a 5-game shooting slump only connecting on 40% of his shots. More concerning though is the fact that in January and February, Lebron took 31 shots from 3 respectively, making 41+% of them. In march, he has already taken 40 3pt shots and yet has made only 27% of them... Huge drop off...
-Chalmers, in March, is shooting 34% from the field and is averaging 7 pts a game, which is a 4 point drop off from his averages in January and February...
-Battier is back to slumping from the field only shooting 31% in the last 10 games...
-Bosh is averaging an atrocious 5.8 rebounds per game in March. That is way down from his February rebounding average which was 9.2 per game...
-Cole is shooting an abysmal 16% from the field in the last 8 games. Cole has made 5 shots and attempted 31 shots in that time frame.

SteBO
03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Truth here. Pat's defensive philosophy that Spo inherited, and also has gotten us deep in the playoffs (just I'd throw that out there), was to protect the paint at all costs. Would you rather give up the 3, or the layup? It's that simple really.

justinnum1
03-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Another HEAT struggles analysis.

10 Burning Issues for the Miami Heat

Full Story:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/13135/10-burning-issues-for-the-miami-heat

And a random comment from one user.

77onuer
All great points.

This feels very similar to last season little slump leading up to the playoffs. We will be fine. The defense is what wins us games and that can be easily fixed(effort...)

As for offense, yea guys cold right now isnt helping, but we need to work on getting higher % shots. And moving the ball, also our PG's are total trash at the moment. Anthony carter...not sure what riley is waiting for.

IndyFan
03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
not a heat fan, but i was at the IND game.

not sure the analysis above is anything more than looking for a problem that doesn't exist. sure the heat are in a bit of a struggle, but it doesn't appear, to me anyway, a technical flaw in what they do. but instead simple tiredness. the condensed season is taking a toll on teams and players that are high energy guys. the heat are a speed team. they use their athleticism. when they are tired, they are no longer fast.

maybe the coaching staff needs to play guys less minutes. i having been watching the mpg of the heat, but if i had guys like lebron and wade, they would be playing as close to 48 mpg as i could get.

during the playoffs, teams are supposed to be getting more rest. that should help.

naps
03-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Wade Waging Silent Protest?

Something – or someone – is ticking off Dwyane Wade these days. His body language is speaking volumes. He tried to channel that frustration back at Kendrick Perkins, but Perkins didn't return Wade's stare in Oklahoma City after that foot-to-the-face incident. And this recent 3-point barrage Wade is on represents so-called “hero ball” at its most extreme. Wade only attempted 32 threes in his first 37 games this season. He's jacked up 12 the past two – and that's including a fourth quarter in OKC when he didn't attempt any shots and declined to talk about the offense afterward. There very well could be a slight disconnect right now between Wade and LeBron or Wade and Spoelstra – or Wade and both. Those things happen over the course of a season. But how long will this linger?

Out of all troubles, this ^^ one is the scariest. And I truly believe Wade isn't happy with his involvement in the offensive schemes. A player of his caliber can't have a ZERO shot attempt game vs OKC where we needed baskets and he already had 22 in the first 3 quarters. And I have seen Spo took Wade off the game too many times right when Wade started feeling his game. I know I would be pissed as hell if I was Wade.
I would be really surprised if we win a championship under Spo. He's not a good coach, don't let our record blind you. This team way too talented and balanced than what our game or overall record shows.

justinnum1
03-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Out of all troubles, this ^^ one is the scariest. And I truly believe Wade isn't happy with his involvement in the offensive schemes. A player of his caliber can't have a ZERO shot attempt game vs OKC where we needed baskets and he already had 22 in the first 3 quarters. And I have seen Spo took Wade off the game too many times right when Wade started feeling his game. I know I would be pissed as hell if I was Wade.
I would be really surprised if we win a championship under Spo. He's not a good coach, don't let our record blind you. This team way too talented and balanced than what our game or overall record shows.

He's not a bad coach either...a bigger problem than spo is bosh's inability to grab rebounds, our pg's sucking ***, the lack of effort on the defensive end, and half our team in a shooting slump.

Fnom11
03-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Their problem is double teaming people who do not need to be doubled. And that happens so frequently it's ridiculous.

beasted86
03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Their problem is double teaming people who do not need to be doubled. And that happens so frequently it's ridiculous.

This. That's pretty much the only problem I see consistently along with giving up offensive boards.

Other than that, the defense does exactly what it's supposed to do: Keep teams out of the paint and force long contested jumpers. But you're right, sometimes certain players shouldn't cause our defense to collapse 3 defenders into the lane and need to be contained 1 on 1.

For example, like I'll take my chances with Derek Fisher driving to the basket because he probably has a very low percentage finishing around the rim and should be contained by 1 on 1 defense.