PDA

View Full Version : First Call-up

Ace Drivers
03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Given all the talk surrounding Snider's demotion...I thought it would be interesting to look into the crystal ball and see who people thought our first call-up will be...describe the scenario. I have two:

1) Outfield injury to Rasmus, big toe or something stupid like that, Gose gets called up and plays Rasmus out of a job

2) Dustin McGowen has yet another injury, and Hutch gets called up allows one hit over 6 innings and quickly becomes this year's Henderson Alvarez...Dm moves to the bullpen, and develops into an elite closer...unfortunately for a team not called the Bluejays...

Just silliness for a Tuesday afternoon

2009mvp
03-27-2012, 02:21 PM
If they need a (starting) outfielder early you'd have to assume Snider gets the call. If only to protect Gose, at this point there's absolutely no sense in rushing him and sending him along the Snider career path. In the rotation Drabek's the obvious callup, assuming he doesn't break camp with the team (which he probably should). I agree Hutch probably gets a look sometime this year, but Drabek is pretty easily ahead of him on the depth chart at this point.

Ace Drivers
03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
If they need a (starting) outfielder early you'd have to assume Snider gets the call. If only to protect Gose, at this point there's absolutely no sense in rushing him and sending him along the Snider career path. In the rotation Drabek's the obvious callup, assuming he doesn't break camp with the team (which he probably should). I agree Hutch probably gets a look sometime this year, but Drabek is pretty easily ahead of him on the depth chart at this point.

Why should Drabek break camp with the team? He hasn't exactly shown that his problems from last year are fixed...

2009mvp
03-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Because
A) Cecil sucks
B) The reports on Drabek this spring have been good (for whatever it's worth, which to me really isn't all that much)
C) Most importantly, sending him to the launching pad in Vegas helps no one.

1hardcore
03-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Colby Rasmus is doing ****** .......I'm wondering if this guy's a late bloomer or just somebody who doesn't give a **** about what people say.

If so then put snider in for the meantime!

JaysFan87
03-27-2012, 03:25 PM
^^errr Rasmus was the 3rd best offensive CF in all of the MLB in 2010 as a 23 year old. There is lots to love about his game.

wagnall
03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't think we will see Gose at all till September. No need to rush the kid. I think Mcgowan will be the #5 guy going in, but #4 is a mystery to me. Both Cecil and Laffey our 2 LH'ers have not shown much of anything. But neither has Drabek!

In the teams best interest I hope its Snider, as the OF seems to be the most divided issue on this team. Lind and EE will sort its self out as I see these guys making it or their gone.

DeRozan10
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Snider will be the first call up if there is an injury too ...

Bautista
Rasmus
Thames
Lind
Encarnacion

DeRozan10
03-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Drabek and Laffey will be the first fill in for the rotations

Maybe late May, early June we could start seeing Hutch/Deck/Jenkins

wagnall
03-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Bautista
Rasmus
Thames
Lind
Encarnacion

Agree :)

AA09-?
03-27-2012, 03:50 PM
This is really dependent upon who becomes injured or falters. No way of knowing at this point.

Ace Drivers
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
This is really dependent upon who becomes injured or falters. No way of knowing at this point.

Although I appreciate people's thoughtfulness on this thread...it was kinda supposed to be a lighter chat...

Everything people are saying probably true...especially above, but the idea was to step away from the obvious for a second

Thought it may yield some funny ideas seeing as seem to take ourselves very seriously on this forum...anyway, here's to trying

DVS
03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
^ I agree

No one read the last sentence on your OP:

Just silliness for a Tuesday afternoon

One of the biggest reasons I am reluctant to post on this forum on a daily basis. Some (not all) take posts way too seriously, before you know it your getting bombarded with numerical statistics that a good majority of us don`t care about.

Getting back to your OP, I think it will be Starting Rotation move. Your guess is as good as mine as to who it is, but I leaning more towards McGowan just because of his injury riddled past.

Sorry for going a bit off topic Ace Drivers.

scottythegreat1
03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Tough call. I want it to be Drabek, but I have a felling they are going to keep him there. They arent going to have him come up and send him back down again and again.

AA is going to be on the phone trying to trade away players like Cecil and Snider, hopefully for someone younger.

StealingSigns
03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Why should Drabek break camp with the team? He hasn't exactly shown that his problems from last year are fixed...

You watching tonight's game?

Krylian
03-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Laffey will be the first call up.

Why?

Because he's the one I don't want to see....so clearly he'll be here.

KaiserSose
03-28-2012, 09:43 AM

Bautista
Rasmus
Thames
Lind
Encarnacion

I'm pretty sure if Lind or E5 get injured Cooper will get the call.

wamco
03-28-2012, 12:40 PM
how is it possible I am so annoyed with Francisco and Laffey already?

Krylian
03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
how is it possible I am so annoyed with Francisco and Laffey already?

Cause they're lousy.

wamco
03-28-2012, 01:55 PM
I knew it was somethin. Think it is odd for them to be in the clubhouse with everone else thinking "why are you here?"

ILDD
03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
So many scenarios it's impossible to say.

It's different answers depending on whether it's to a starter or not, whether it's long-term or not, who is playing well in AAA etc.

If JPA gets injured, short term then Jeroloman comes up.
If JPA gets injured, long term then d'Arnaud comes up.
If Mathis gets injured, long or short term then Jeroloman comes up.

That's just the catcher position, assuming that Jeroloman and d'Arnaud are healthy and playing well, otherwise I guess you have to put Gomes in the equation.

dballss
03-29-2012, 04:10 PM
hutch has looked better than drabek and laffey

mtf
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
I knew it was somethin. Think it is odd for them to be in the clubhouse with everone else thinking "why are you here?"

No matter how good the Jays get, they'll always have these spare parts players lurking around in the clubhouse and the bench. They're fillers who won't see significant time. Hell, Laffey will be in Triple-A anyway, and might be simply released by the organization if he wants to be.