rapsjaysfan88
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
mcg signs 2 year extension with team option 4 a 3rd

AA09-?
03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Do you have a link by chance?

North Yorker
03-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Probably a dirt cheap deal that covers us just in case he goes all Chris Carpenter on us and becomes good again.

Twitchy
03-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Bowden (https://twitter.com/?tw_e=screenname&tw_i=184365228778201088&tw_p=tweetembed#!/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/184365228778201088) tweeted it. They don't know the #'s but you can't expect it to go over $1 M.

Interesting that they announce it after he gets injured, again. Farrell let it slip earlier that his rotation spot wasn't in Jeopardy so I guess this is why.

miller74
03-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Probably a dirt cheap deal that covers us just in case he goes all Chris Carpenter on us and becomes good again.

Actually you should say, good move it covers us incase AA goes all JP Ricarddi on us.

rapsjaysfan88
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I think its a move 2 take some pressure off of dustin

Krylian
03-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Even if Dustin isn't ablt to get his stamina back and stick as a starter, I still think he can be a very important part of a bullpen.

Krylian
03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
$1.5M for 2013 and 2014 each and a $4M club option for 2015.

AA09-?
03-26-2012, 04:39 PM
I just don't see Dustin here long term. If he can consistently stays healthy it's a steal though.

darth helmet
03-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Would be sweet if he did just that but after his latest injury I'm left wondering if he'll instead end up going Rick DiPietro on us (minus the 10 year contract mind you).

phillipmike
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
AA has no ties to McGowan as he did not draft or develop him. AA is not afraid to give up on first round guys that have yet to perform - Purcey being one. He would not take this risk unless AA and his scouts saw something in Spring Training that thinks McGowan can stick around. This signing is probably an indication that he will start the season and has the stuff to stay in the MLB and be an effective backed guy. He could bounce back like Brandon McCarthy.

2009mvp
03-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Considering they've been paying him ~500k the past few years for absolutely nothing it does make sense to give him 1.5 and hopefully end up with something now that he's 'healthy.' I'd like to read more into this and take it to mean AA thinks this is still a potential ace but I can't, it's a deal made simply to buy the franchise some more time with him.

LuckyLuke2
03-26-2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=391443

There's the link just in case.

Anyways I don't really like this deal. I mean I want to like it because I also want to think he's completely healthy but I am still unsure.

That's 1.5 million for a guy who if he gets hurt one more time probably won't pitch again in the majors. It's risky IMO.

wagnall
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
This says to me that his injury was nothing and that he'll be ready to go when the season starts. Probably #5 to limit his innings over the year, I heard that they want to limit him to about 150 innings this year, a #5 guy can do that.

Now, who's #4????

scottythegreat1
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Dustin McGowan is hit or miss. He will either keep getting hurt (and retire), or he will become a cheap #3/#4 behind Romero and Morrow.

If McGowan can stay healthy, then its steal for the Blue Jays, even if he has to play it in the bullpen, its still a steal.

Krylian
03-26-2012, 05:16 PM

Anyways I don't really like this deal. I mean I want to like it because I also want to think he's completely healthy but I am still unsure.

That's 1.5 million for a guy who if he gets hurt one more time probably won't pitch again in the majors. It's risky IMO.

It's a risk....but $1.5M is nothing. What can you get for $1.5M in baseball. You're buying hope...even for a reliever 1.5M is cheap. It's hardly an amount that cripples the team.

BlueJaysFan
03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Curious to see what the facebook fans think of this, because when the blue jays fan page announced we signed Cordero some of the comments were ridiculous :facepalm:

mkcavy
03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Makes sense to me... guarantee him $3mil over two years, or wait to see him have a great season and owe him over $4mil next year. The total spend of this deal is hardly a risk. Plus the spring training reports on him are that he looks better than good.

To me this is another typical AA buy-low move.

rockbottom2010
03-26-2012, 06:11 PM
trade package lol

2009mvp
03-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I wonder how much of this is simply a deterrent to other teams claiming him if (when?) he needs to be DFA'd. If they had tried that prior to today he'd be snapped up immediately, now teams have to hesitate before grabbing a guy with 2 more years left on his contract. Like I said before, I think the Jays are really just buying themselves some more time here.

naidle
03-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Did you just say $1.5 million per year is "risky"? Are you from Tampa Bay? ;)

Farsight
03-26-2012, 06:52 PM
To me, they are trying to avoid another Chris Carpenter situation. He probably wont be anything more than a 4-5 starter which is a shame, but if he does somehow get back to normal, they dont want to make the same mistake again. If he busts, they dont lost anything really

Spiderdan22
03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Where is Temper?

fatkev78
03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Where is Temper?

If he's dead probably turning in his grave....

Nick O
03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
eh.. cool.. i feel better with him at the end of the rotation then jojo reyes.. so.. cool

bomber0104
03-26-2012, 07:22 PM
seems like a great deal... 1.5 would still be dirt cheap even if he ends up being a long guy in the pen (which is the least thing you expect of him).

Of course he could get injured. But still, you don't want him to have a good year then command a big multi year deal in the offseason

bomber0104
03-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Where is Temper?

Jesse Litsch >>>>>>>>>> Dustin Mcgowan (before the injuries)

the good ole days

es0terik
03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
I love this deal, only because now I feel like if the Jays demote him, make him a reliever or trade him away, it won't look like they abandoned the guy. They put faith in his recovery for three years and they just now guaranteed him 3 Million dollars. Now there will be absolutely no guilt if he doesn't pan out and we have to get rid of him. This was perfect in my opinion.

wagnall
03-26-2012, 08:15 PM
No risk, hell we paid as much for Mathis, but I digress, this is like others said a buying time contract to see if he can live up to being a 3-5 starter. I don't think he'll end up in the pen as I don't see room there,,..If he pulls out a .500 season and stays healthy, its a steal, he doesn't work out, its not the end of the world. At least we are giving HIM :eyebrow: time to show his stuff.

statquo
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
No risk, hell we paid as much for Mathis, but I digress, this is like others said a buying time contract to see if he can live up to being a 3-5 starter. I don't think he'll end up in the pen as I don't see room there,,..If he pulls out a .500 season and stays healthy, its a steal, he doesn't work out, its not the end of the world. At least we are giving HIM :eyebrow: time to show his stuff.

that the only thing negative i can think of. it seems like a waste of a spot on the 40-man roster, but if he can come back to form, which we all hope, then this will be a bargain.

wagnall
03-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Where is Temper?

I think its in Arizona...or is that Tempie, I don't know but I think its there somewhere :confused::o:o:)

Toxeryll
03-26-2012, 08:47 PM
keithlaw ‏ @keithlaw
If true, bizarre, and poor use of a 40-man spot. RT @onebluejaysway: @keithlaw mcgowan contract, thoughts?

Krylian
03-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Law knows....that's why so many teams are lining up to hire him.

darius
03-26-2012, 09:18 PM
mcg signs 2 year extension with team option 4 a 3rd

LOVE this deal!

Dirt cheap, team friend contract. Dustin with end up being a good starter, or maybe even great starter. If he does end up doing well, I would be shocked if GM_AA didn't trade him to make room for some of the younger guys and great great value in doing so.

Or maybe he genuinely plans to keep him around. I hope so, I love this guy. But at least he has those options.

If the Jays soil the bed this season, but McGowan looks awesome, his trade value will be fantastic.

darius
03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Jesse Litsch >>>>>>>>>> Dustin Mcgowan (before the injuries)

the good ole days

You're kidding, right? Litsch has NEVER been better than Dustin.

JermanJaysFan
03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
He's referencing the mission statement of a former poster on here named "temper". The guy hated McGowan with a passion.

Farsight
03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
. Kieth Law has already shown a sense of disdain towards McGowan earlier. Im not saying he was wrong, but some scouts earlier said McGowan stuff was decent to good, while Law said his stuff was pretty poor

nithanyo
03-26-2012, 09:36 PM

I dunno there was his rookie season. Someone claimed Litsch to be the best #5 pitcher in baseball.

If McGowan can earn that title he will more than earn that money

Spiderdan22
03-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Maybe Keith Law was Temper...

craigerlee
03-26-2012, 10:07 PM
keithlaw ‏ @keithlaw
If true, bizarre, and poor use of a 40-man spot. RT @onebluejaysway: @keithlaw mcgowan contract, thoughts?

Don't see why its a poor use of a 40 man, if he gets injured and you really need that 40 man spot then just waive him, your only out 3M. While if he stays healthy and starts then you were gonna use that 40 man spot on him anyways. We've paid Hallday, Wells, Ryan, and Teahan a lot more than 3M to not play for us, don't see it as that big of a deal. I'd say its worth the risk cause if he makes it through the season he's probably at least a 3M dollar per year pitcher in free agency.

Also he may even feel some loyalty to the Jays if they DFA him and accept the assignment.

Toxeryll
03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Don't see why its a poor use of a 40 man, if he gets injured and you really need that 40 man spot then just waive him, your only out 3M. While if he stays healthy and starts then you were gonna use that 40 man spot on him anyways. We've paid Hallday, Wells, Ryan, and Teahan a lot more than 3M to not play for us, don't see it as that big of a deal. I'd say its worth the risk cause if he makes it through the season he's probably at least a 3M dollar per year pitcher in free agency.

Also he may even feel some loyalty to the Jays if they DFA him and accept the assignment.

ya agree. i just assumed that based on his observations this spring, i think he believes that its not worth it to keep him over some prospects that we will eventually have to put in the 40-man which are quite a lot.

FlakeyFool
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM

Seriously? Its 1.5million not 1.5 billion

LuckyLuke2
03-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Did you just say $1.5 million per year is "risky"? Are you from Tampa Bay? ;)

Haha no I was just saying... it's 1.5 now with a 4 million dollar option. It's an option but still.

I don't know, I am being a bit negative I guess. I just think this injury in his foot is going to keep him out a bit longer than everyone thinks.

LuckyLuke2
03-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Seriously? Its 1.5million not 1.5 billion

Okay I get it, no need for the sarcasm.

ktownguy31
03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
1.5 mil would be a lot if this was hockey and it was colton orr...1.5 in baseball is **** all.

bomber0104
03-26-2012, 11:31 PM

100% agreed... I dont think what Law is thinking..

we have guys like Magnuson, Mccoy, Mcdade, Valbuena, Francisco on the 40-man roster..

I bet most MLB teams would take McGowan over these guys anyday

Sanyo
03-26-2012, 11:40 PM
McCoy has a career 0.00 era -- do not breathe his name in the same sentence as other journeyman players :P

JermanJaysFan
03-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Just for a point of reference- 1.5MM a year is worth about 0.3-0.4 fWAR per season.

In order to get ~0.3-0.4 fWAR per season for us, Dustin has to throw a little under 20 Brandon Morrow-calibre innings (Morrow had 3.4 fWAR over 179 innings last year). Obviously, he can reach this same WAR plateau by pitching more, lower quality innings (Cecil's 120 innings for us last season netted him 0.4 WAR). If he moves to relief, he can amass 0.4 WAR doing what Shawn Camp did (66 innings, 0.4 WAR) or pre-trade Jason Frasor did (42 innings, 0.4 WAR).

ZHANG FELIX
03-27-2012, 04:42 AM
You're kidding, right?COMPAQ Batteria (http://www.r4-ds-dsi.it/batteria-notebook/compaq-batteria-portatile.html)Litsch has NEVER been better than Dustin.
I think Dustin is the best.:clap:

wamco
03-27-2012, 06:02 AM
doctors have repeatedly stated the bullpen is no good for his arm.

Krylian
03-27-2012, 09:31 AM
doctors have repeatedly stated the bullpen is no good for his arm.

Not entirely true.

They said the bullpen is no good for him as part of his rehab. Once he was back to 100%, the pen is fine. AA was on Prime Time Sports just before McGowan got called up last year and they were discussing it.

KaiserSose
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Why not just let him pitch the rest of the year to see if he can remain healthy. At that point you can give him 1.5M if he doesn't break.

This was a needless signing.

mkcavy
03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Why not just let him pitch the rest of the year to see if he can remain healthy. At that point you can give him 1.5M if he doesn't break.

This signing tells me one thing: management projects McGowan to not only be healthy, but to be a legit #2 or #3 starter. If you're McGowan, you have to take the deal, because if your shoulder blows out, then it's your last paycheck. AA makes the deal in case he is healthy, and the scouting reports from spring are correct (many say he's throwing like he did during his best years, if not better), then you have a potential front end rotation guy locked in at a stupidly low amount for 3 years.

Great signing for AA, great contract for McGowan, and Keith Law is an idiot if he thinks this is a waste of a 40-man spot.

KaiserSose
03-27-2012, 11:29 AM
The problem is they are projecting a guy who hasn't pitched any significant innings in the majors in 3 years and has lost velocity on his fastball to be a healthy productive pitcher.

It's not likely to really hurt the team since they only owe 3.5M guaranteed after this year but definitely a risk to give a 30 year old guy who has been through, what, like 3 major surgeries 2 more years. I would have let him pitch the season personally before giving him an extension.

People need to stop whining about Keith Law. We get it. When he says nice things about the Jays or their prospects you love him but when he disagrees with a deal he is an idiot blah blah blah. Grow up.

craigerlee
03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
The problem is they are projecting a guy who hasn't pitched any significant innings in the majors in 3 years and has lost velocity on his fastball to be a healthy productive pitcher.

It's not likely to really hurt the team since they only owe 3.5M guaranteed after this year but definitely a risk to give a 30 year old guy who has been through, what, like 3 major surgeries 2 more years. I would have let him pitch the season personally before giving him an extension.

People need to stop whining about Keith Law. We get it. When he says nice things about the Jays or their prospects you love him but when he disagrees with a deal he is an idiot blah blah blah. Grow up.

I enjoy Law, but I disagree with him that this is a waste of a 40 man for the reasons I mentioned earlier. They clearly did this cause he's an FA after the season and they've already invested a lot into to him to just lose him after the season.

LuckyLuke2
03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
1.5 mil would be a lot if this was hockey and it was colton orr...1.5 in baseball is **** all.

Where you been man? Haven't seen you in the Leafs forum for a while.

Krylian
03-27-2012, 11:50 AM

He's a FA at the end of the year. If you wait and offer him $1.5M, he says thanks, but I think I'll sign over here for $5M+.

It amazes me how many people think $3M over 2 years is a big deal. Good lord.

2009mvp
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM

I think velocity is actually last on everyone's list of worries. He got it up there last September, he's reportedly been way up in the mid-90's again this spring. I'd be much more worried about his breaking stuff, after all that work on his arm/shoulder that's something that might never come back. KLaw didn't say anything about his fastball, but did say the slider was flat and basically not big-league calibre.

KaiserSose
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM
I enjoy Law, but I disagree with him that this is a waste of a 40 man for the reasons I mentioned earlier. They clearly did this cause he's an FA after the season and they've already invested a lot into to him to just lose him after the season.

Law is entitled to his opinion and his opinion is more informed than anyone who posts on this forum.

Why do people think he would just leave after the season? Why not just let him play this season and then offer him 1.5M if you like what you see? Are people really that scared of him leaving after the Jays have been so good to him?

KaiserSose
03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
He's a FA at the end of the year. If you wait and offer him $1.5M, he says thanks, but I think I'll sign over here for $5M+.

It amazes me how many people think $3M over 2 years is a big deal. Good lord.

How many phantom teams do you think are lining up to give a guy who hasn't pitched any meaningful games since like 2008 5M. Also, what kind of performance do you think McGowan would need to convince a team he is worth 5M and how likely do you think it is that he will have that good a season?

2009mvp
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
How many phantom teams do you think are lining up to give a guy who hasn't pitched any meaningful games since like 2008 5M. Also, what kind of performance do you think McGowan would need to convince a team he is worth 5M and how likely do you think it is that he will have that good a season?

Fair question. There's also the whole loyalty aspect, after sticking with him this long you'd like to think that the Jays would have had a leg up had he opted for free agency.

KaiserSose
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I think velocity is actually last on everyone's list of worries. He got it up there last September, he's reportedly been way up in the mid-90's again this spring. I'd be much more worried about his breaking stuff, after all that work on his arm/shoulder that's something that might never come back. KLaw didn't say anything about his fastball, but did say the slider was flat and basically not big-league calibre.

Sure it may not be the biggest factor but when you have a flat slider (his best pitch), a fastball that is noticeably slower according to pitch f/x, and a change-up that is faster, again according to pitch f/x. Pitch f/x data is 2011.

Not hard to get up into the mid 90's, i'm sure you would agree it is more relevant what the average velocity is over a significant sample.

craigerlee
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Law is entitled to his opinion and his opinion is more informed than anyone who posts on this forum.

Why do people think he would just leave after the season? Why not just let him play this season and then offer him 1.5M if you like what you see? Are people really that scared of him leaving after the Jays have been so good to him?

The guys 30, you take as much money as you can get now. If 3M is on the table somewhere else he's taking that. Screw loyalty you need to look out for yourself, the Jays have been great to him, but considering this guy has only been making 500K a year, he needs to take what he can get.

KaiserSose
03-27-2012, 01:31 PM
The guys 30, you take as much money as you can get now. If 3M is on the table somewhere else he's taking that. Screw loyalty you need to look out for yourself, the Jays have been great to him, but considering this guy has only been making 500K a year, he needs to take what he can get.

If he was worth 3M then the Jays can match it. I still don't see the big deal here. There is a much larger chance of him flaming out than there is of him being successful, let's be honest here.

ktownguy31
03-27-2012, 01:31 PM
I read what ppl write in the leafs forum luckyluke..im just sick of the ****ing negativity so i have nothing to say

craigerlee
03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
If he was worth 3M then the Jays can match it. I still don't see the big deal here. There is a much larger chance of him flaming out than there is of him being successful, let's be honest here.

The Jays can match it sure, but they're not gonna get the 2nd year for 1.5M and the option year either. If he has a successful year he's probably gonna be able to sign at least a 1 year deal for 3M. Its basically a hedging strategy that's gonna cost the Jays 3M, the option is probably way out of the money right now but the premium is low and the volatility is high so they see value in it. Its really not a big deal and I don't see the problem with him taking up a 40 man spot for the next year or two considering he's taken one up with no issues for the last 4 years.

wamco
03-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Not entirely true.

They said the bullpen is no good for him as part of his rehab. Once he was back to 100%, the pen is fine. AA was on Prime Time Sports just before McGowan got called up last year and they were discussing it.

I'd be interested to see something written about this as it is the first I've heard of it. Great news.