PDA

View Full Version : Early Finals Predictions

R8Rfriar
03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
I made another thread asking if the Grizzles could make the finals and it does not seem like its going to well

so this is a thread dedicated to your early Finals predictions

who do you see winning it all? and who will get there

thenyknicks
03-26-2012, 11:40 AM
thunder

He115ing
03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
I can see OKC winning, especially if they play the Heat.

Jint.
03-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Thunder over Heat

Baller1
03-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Heat over Thunder in 6.

Fnom11
03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Bobcats

justinnum1
03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Heat over Thunder in 6.

This

Cal827
03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Bobcats over New Orleans in 7

DragonJaii
03-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Bulls over thunder in 7

MTL_123
03-26-2012, 12:05 PM
miami over thunder in 6 or 7

mjm07
03-26-2012, 12:09 PM
3 predictions:

1. Heat over OKC in 6

2. Heat over Lakers in 6

3. OKC over Bulls 6

NYKnickFanatic
03-26-2012, 12:11 PM
3 predictions:

1. Heat over OKC in 6

2. Heat over Lakers in 6

3. OKC over Bulls 6

Non homer prediction, right here.

My vote goes to OKC winning it all. Last night proved it.

PhillyFaninLA
03-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Heat over Thunder in 6.

NoahH
03-26-2012, 12:37 PM
HEAT vs OKC

DaBUU
03-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Bulls over Thunder in 7, 7 epic games

Gators123
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Heat over Thunder in 6.

This.

willabeast77
03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Heat vs Spurs in 5 or 6

DaBUU
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM

then shouldnt the Thunder be playing the Bulls? The Bulls beat the Heat last week without DRose, so that proves the east champs.

NYKnickFanatic
03-26-2012, 12:51 PM
then shouldnt the Thunder be playing the Bulls? The Bulls beat the Heat last week without DRose, so that proves the east champs.

Bulls/Heat in the Finals. Too close to call. It could go either way. Should be a great series though against each other.

JohnnyOutcast
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Bulls or Heat vs Thunder

Bulls or Heat winning the title in 6 or 7 games................

celtNYpatsHeels
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I can see 3 teams out of the west making the finals... Thunder, Spurs, Lakers

I can only see 1 team in the east... Heat

quade36
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
What? No Knicks over Thunder in 4?

ManRam
03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Bulls vs. Thunder.

Thunder winning in 7.

Bulls are just a more complete team that the Heat. They might lack a "Big Three", but they make up for it with their defense, rebounding, coaching and depth. I like them pretty comfortably over the Heat right now. I though the Heat's cast would be better...but at a lot of times it doesn't look good enough at all. They just don't play as a team and a 5-man unit well enough.

I do like the Thunder over the Bulls, but that's a tossup. HCA could determine it I guess...

ManRam
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM

They do look like the better team.

But this logic is so flawed. One game proves nothing.

Wasn't Chicago 3-0 against the Heat last year in the regular season? Clearly that "proved" nothing last year...

Blitzbolt
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Heat will win it in 4 or 5 games.

I have no Idea who will make out of the West.

SwatTeam
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
oh yes, lets all jump to conclusions after a few regular season games. This is a lock-out shortened season - all bets are off. Who ever has the most healthy line-up and talent come playoff time will prevail. The last time a lockout occurred the Knicks (an 8th seed) went all the way to the Finals. Anything is possible. Let the cards fall where they may.

kozelkid
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Bulls vs. Thunder.

Thunder winning in 7.

Bulls are just a more complete team that the Heat. They might lack a "Big Three", but they make up for it with their defense, rebounding, coaching and depth. I like them pretty comfortably over the Heat right now. I though the Heat's cast would be better...but at a lot of times it doesn't look good enough at all. They just don't play as a team and a 5-man unit well enough.

I do like the Thunder over the Bulls, but that's a tossup. HCA could determine it I guess...

Honestly, I think Miami would be a tougher test for us than OKC. I love OKC from a talent standpoint, but I don't trust Brooks with making the necessary adjustments.

Weirdly enough, I think Heat and OKC would be more competitive than Bulls vs Thunder only because neither Spo or Brooks are good coaches. But I also think Miami would be a tougher matchup for Bulls because Boozer seems to consistently struggle against Bosh.

Biggest difference for me this season vs last is how dominant Noah has been recently at the offensive side of the ball. We missed that last season as him and Boozer struggled to get to know each other due to lack of PT together last season. They finally understand each other and I expect to have more success against Miami offensively.

And finally, Deng can defend Durant much better than Lebron who simply overpowers him. With Durant, I think Deng can contain him MUCH better.

NYKnickFanatic
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
What? No Knicks over Thunder in 4?

:clap:

ManRam
03-26-2012, 01:03 PM
oh yes, lets all jump to conclusions after a few regular season games. This is a lock-out shortened season - all bets are off. Who ever has the most healthy line-up and talent come playoff time will prevail. The last time a lockout occurred the Knicks (an 8th seed) went all the way to the Finals. Anything is possible. Let the cards fall where they may.

The usage of the word "prove" in this thread is crazy.

As bad as the Heat have looked against Chicago and OKC lately, I don't doubt that they're the one team that is just waiting for the playoffs, and that they can flip the switch.

Still not sure they're a good enough team though. Their flaws are becoming more and more obvious, and they're getting nothing out of the PG and C positions, yet again. Chalmers and Cole looked promising early on, but they're crashing down to Earth quickly...

SwatTeam
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
The usage of the word "prove" in this thread is crazy.

As bad as the Heat have looked against Chicago and OKC lately, I don't doubt that they're the one team that is just waiting for the playoffs, and that they can flip the switch.

Still not sure they're a good enough team though. Their flaws are becoming more and more obvious, and they're getting nothing out of the PG and C positions, yet again. Chalmers and Cole looked promising early on, but they're crashing down to Earth quickly...

ummm, where did I say anything about the heat flipping a switch? or anything about them at all? This is not a normal season, games are played more frequently than normal. Anything is possible as long as you get into the dance. Fans of teams who aren't the heat, bulls, or thunder shouldn't feel they have no chance. If anything, a lockout year may be they're best chance if history repeats itself. Odds may be low on this happening but they are higher odds than under normal circumstances. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if a team comes out of nowhere and catches on fire.

Also, I never used the word "prove" in my post, so I'm a little confused about what you meant.

Law25
03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
I just cant see the Lakers not winning it this year. I tried to convince myself im just being a homer but damn i just cant shake it. With games being spaced and hopefully Sessions leading our bench i really think our big three is unstoppable when rested. Only Howard can stop Bynum in the post and i dont see him making it out the east. Pau is proving to be a great third option, and when Kobe's on NOBODY IN THIS LEAGUE CAN STOP HIM. I just think were more of a playoff built team than a regular season squad.

kozelkid
03-26-2012, 01:21 PM
:laugh2:

No offense, but you're setting yourself up for QUITE a disappointment. I guess that's what happens when you're spoiled with 5 titles in the past decade. :)

Birdmannn
03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Heat vs Thunder. Goes to game 7. Heat take it.

Sofnr
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm taking Bulls over Thunder in 7. It's a homer pick but very possible. I really think the Thunder come out of the West and Bulls/Heat come out of the East. Whether it's Heat vs Thunder or Bulls vs Thunder it should be a very tough finals series. All three of these teams are very fun to watch.

Law25
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
:laugh2:

No offense, but you're setting yourself up for QUITE a disappointment. I guess that's what happens when you're spoiled with 5 titles in the past decade. :)

lol i dig it, and respect the fact not everyone agrees with me, but why do think its impossible. I dont beleive any other team has a clear advantage over us other than their bench

jp611
03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Heat vs. Themselves... Apparently they have a 3rd level and can only beat themselves

kozelkid
03-26-2012, 01:53 PM
lol i dig it, and respect the fact not everyone agrees with me, but why do think its impossible. I dont beleive any other team has a clear advantage over us other than their bench

I think it's heavily unlikely because the Lakers match up extremely poorly against teams like OKC, LAC, and maybe even Memphis and San Antonio to some degree.

In the case of OKC and LAC, both have are extremely athletic with athletic perimeter players in Westbrook, Harden, Durant and Paul and Young respectively who have given that LA defense MAJOR fits. I'm not sure Sessions is enough to offset that difference. I'd also expect Blake to put Pau or Bynum in major foul trouble.

With Memphis, they have some combination of that athletic perimeter game in Conley and Gay, couple that with one of the best defenders in Tony Allen, and I think Kobe has a tough time. Add that their frontcourt is as big and dominant as LA's and I don't see such an advantage for LA anymore.

I'm 50-50 on SA. I think Parker and their fast paced 3pt shooting would give LA problems ala Dallas last season. But LA does have major size advantage on them. However, I think Pops simply schools Brown in the coaching aspect. That's why I ultimately take SA over LA.

In the end, my biggest issues with LA fall in the fact that

(A) Their offense still is a HUGE question mark. Brown is an idiot as far as the offensive side of the ball goes and having Kobe play hero ball will end in them losing quickly. I'm not sure Brown has the cajones to stop Kobe.

(B) Even with the acquisition of Sessions, I still question whether they can hold athletic perimeter players. It's been their biggest problem and Kobe has not been very good defensively the last few years as he has gotten older.

They're kind of like the Miami Heat in some regard with their big 3, except they're worse talent wise and they are even less on the same page. Factor in that Brown is clueless in regards to their offense, and I'd be shocked if they make it to the WCF.

DeyAce
03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Spurs over Heat in 6

Birdmannn
03-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Spurs over Heat in 6

This worries me. If the Heat make it to the finals I see the Spurs as the hardest opponent for them in the West.

Muttman73
03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Bulls "A" team over the Bulls "B" team...

Stern steps in to break up the dynasty

DLeeicious
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
OKC continues to get overrated (I know they looked great last night). I think it's pretty up for grabs between them LAL and SA even a Memphis or Dallas is a tough out. It's pretty simple in the East - it's Miami or Chicago and it's pretty 50-50 at this point. Out west could be anyone.

uprightciti
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
knicks in 4

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Bulls over Thunder in 5.

shep33
03-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Bulls/Heat vs. Spurs/Thunder is pretty much a given

Vincent33
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
OKC-Chicago

OKC-Miami

LAL-Chicago

LAL-Miami

naps
I see Heat winning it all over OKC, but If the Spurs makes it that far and everyone stays healthy, Spurs are taking it over ANY team on the planet, be that Heat or Bulls. Spurs have crazy depth and now they only need luck to stay 100% throughout the playoffs, which I doubt highly. Basically, it will be Heat/Bulls vs OKC/Spurs with Heat being favored to come out on top if they don't have to face Spurs.

justinnum1

:facepalm:

jp611
03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Great analysis

alencp3
03-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Heat over OKC in 5

Ty Fast
03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Heat over Thunder in 6.

This

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-26-2012, 03:44 PM
I just cant see the Lakers not winning it this year. I tried to convince myself im just being a homer but damn i just cant shake it. With games being spaced and hopefully Sessions leading our bench i really think our big three is unstoppable when rested. Only Howard can stop Bynum in the post and i dont see him making it out the east. Pau is proving to be a great third option, and when Kobe's on NOBODY IN THIS LEAGUE CAN STOP HIM. I just think were more of a playoff built team than a regular season squad.

In your heart, you don't want Kobe Bryant to say once again "ANOTHER WASTED YEAR OF MY LIFE", and trust me, that's how I feel as well.

But there isn't that much right now that indicates to me that we're going to win it all. And that hurts me to admit that right now.

If Kobe Bryant really wants that 6th ring, then he's going to have to stop playing stupidly and idiotically from here on out. He has to be the best player in the league from here on out. We need the old Kobe Bryant back of 2009 and 2010, not the guy we see now.

ManRam
03-26-2012, 03:56 PM
ummm, where did I say anything about the heat flipping a switch? or anything about them at all? This is not a normal season, games are played more frequently than normal. Anything is possible as long as you get into the dance. Fans of teams who aren't the heat, bulls, or thunder shouldn't feel they have no chance. If anything, a lockout year may be they're best chance if history repeats itself. Odds may be low on this happening but they are higher odds than under normal circumstances. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if a team comes out of nowhere and catches on fire.

Also, I never used the word "prove" in my post, so I'm a little confused about what you meant.

I didn't say you did. I said I think they can...

I also never said YOU used the word. I was agreeing with your post :laugh: The whole "jumping to conclusions based on a few regular season games"...

ManRam
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Great analysis

Almost as good as the analysis in this post! ;)

Justin is right though...however, he could have articulated in a mature manner. One game "proves" nothing. People are severely overvaluing individual wins in this thread. Just look at last year: the Bulls were 3-0 vs. the Heat, and we all know what happened.

Things change in the playoffs. It's not about "a 3rd level that only the Heat have"...it's just a fact. It's a new mini-season and a lot of things change and a lot of things are done differently.

Right now I'm down on the Heat, and don't think they'll make it to the Finals...but even so, I know it's not that simple...

Joshtd1
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
If we can avoid matchup problems then I think the Spurs will make the finals. Of course I'm biased, but if Spurs and Thunder are to play in the WCF I think we take it. Personally feel they are one of the teams we match up great with and seem to have their number. Haven't seen how we match up with LA, but their size almost always gives us problems so for now thats the team I would prefer to avoid in the playoffs if possible. I still think it's up for grabs in the West.

In the East, can't imagine any other team right now other than the Bulls or Heat making the finals, unless the Pacers get hot and play the way they did last year in the playoffs, but actually being able to close a game out this year.

ChicagoJ
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Bulls over OKC in 6 or 7.

ManRam
03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
If we can avoid matchup problems then I think the Spurs will make the finals. Of course I'm biased, but if Spurs and Thunder are to play in the WCF I think we take it. Personally feel they are one of the teams we match up great with and seem to have their number. Haven't seen how we match up with LA, but their size almost always gives us problems so for now thats the team I would prefer to avoid in the playoffs if possible. I still think it's up for grabs in the West.

In the East, can't imagine any other team right now other than the Bulls or Heat making the finals, unless the Pacers get hot and play the way they did last year in the playoffs, but actually being able to close a game out this year.

I think they match up well. I try not to over-value HCA...but that's there. Both teams are nearly unbeatable at home (a combined 42-8) but a bit more average on the road (combined 28-18).

As is Manu's health. If he's healthy and can play 30 quality minutes a game, then I think they can do it. I don't think they should be favored to beat OKC...but I certainly think it's doable.

If SA is sinking those threes, they can beat anyone in this league, even in a 7 game series.

They'd be some high scoring games...and it would be a lot of fun. I'm just not sure SA is good enough defensively to beat them 4 times...but I think we'll get that match up in the WCF and I think it would be great!

Joshtd1
03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I think they match up well. I try not to over-value HCA...but that's there. Both teams are nearly unbeatable at home (a combined 42-8) but a bit more average on the road (combined 28-18).

As is Manu's health. If he's healthy and can play 30 quality minutes a game, then I think they can do it. I don't think they should be favored to beat OKC...but I certainly think it's doable.

If SA is sinking those threes, they can beat anyone in this league, even in a 7 game series.

They'd be some high scoring games...and it would be a lot of fun. I'm just not sure SA is good enough defensively to beat them 4 times...but I think we'll get that match up in the WCF and I think it would be great!

Well yea health is our biggest key. Manu has had some fluke injuries this season, and Pop has been great with managing minutes this season. Honestly though, and I think baller as our resident Thunder fan would agree, that Spurs would be the one matchup they wouldn't want to play. They just haven't matched up with us well the last couple of years. That and I think coaching advantage goes to us big time.

Team with interior scoring were the ones that give us the most problems (ala LA/Grizz last year), and the Thunder don't have a guy like Bynum or Randolph or Gasol bro's to dominate downlow. Also we are a lot deeper then them as well. IMO anway.

kdspurman
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Well yea health is our biggest key. Manu has had some fluke injuries this season, and Pop has been great with managing minutes this season. Honestly though, and I think baller as our resident Thunder fan would agree, that Spurs would be the one matchup they wouldn't want to play. They just haven't matched up with us well the last couple of years. That and I think coaching advantage goes to us big time.

Team with interior scoring were the ones that give us the most problems (ala LA/Grizz last year), and the Thunder don't have a guy like Bynum or Randolph or Gasol bro's to dominate downlow. Also we are a lot deeper then them as well. IMO anway.

And even when you talk about Memphis, I dont see SA losing to them again. They're 3-0 vs Memphis this year, and as good as their bigs were, the key was Conley essentially outplaying Tony (that and Manu playing with a broken elbow). TP said he wishes they would play them in the playoffs again, and I think he means it. From a pride standpoint, I don't see them losing to Memphis again. It's the Lakers/Mavs of the world SA has match up problems with.

I didn't really think much of HCA till I just saw SA is 5th in Defensive Eff at home and 22nd on the road. While getting HCA would be great, I don't see it happening. These guys have to get better defensively on the road.

ManRam
03-26-2012, 04:29 PM
And even when you talk about Memphis, I dont see SA losing to them again. They're 3-0 vs Memphis this year, and as good as their bigs were, the key was Conley essentially outplaying Tony (that and Manu playing with a broken elbow). TP said he wishes they would play them in the playoffs again, and I think he means it. From a pride standpoint, I don't see them losing to Memphis again. It's the Lakers/Mavs of the world SA has match up problems with.

I didn't really think much of HCA till I just saw SA is 5th in Defensive Eff at home and 22nd on the road. While getting HCA would be great, I don't see it happening. These guys have to get better defensively on the road.

I won't claim to watch many Spurs games, but they do look different on the road and at home. Overall, their defense is average...but I had no idea the split between home and away was that big. Yikes.

If they still played that championship/early-2000s Spurs level of defense, I'd love their chances. They just don't...and overall, OKC could very well be the better defensive team. If Manu is healthy and can play at an elite level, and if they hit some threes, they can do it. I just can't bank on it...

Teeboy1487
03-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Thunder vs Bulls for me with the Bulls winning in 6. I want to put the Heat there, but it just doesn't seem like they are poised to go back this year. As a team that lost in the Finals last year, I just don't see that chip on their shoulder. They play almost like they are entitled to win. I just don't see that hunger. Maybe they will just turn it on, but from what I've seen, they just don't look like a hungry team right now.

As for the Bulls, I see a hungry team that is playing with a chip on their shoulder after losing in the ECF. As long as Rose heals, I think they can beat the Heat in the ECF. Their team is just playing outstanding. They seem like a team who is poised to win.

As for the Thunder, they are just mountains ahead of any team in the West. I don't see anyone beating them in a 7 game series out west. They remind me of the 09 Lakers except losing in the Finals the previous year. That Laker team was just better than everyone in the West. I see the same thing with the Thunder. Some teams might give them trouble but ultimately, I think they will easily get through the West.

Potential Darkhorse teams:

West: Spurs and Grizzles

East: Magic and Pacers.

ThunderousDemon
03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
I see Heat winning it all over OKC, but If the Spurs makes it that far and everyone stays healthy, Spurs are taking it over ANY team on the planet, be that Heat or Bulls. Spurs have crazy depth and now they only need luck to stay 100% throughout the playoffs, which I doubt highly. Basically, it will be Heat/Bulls vs OKC/Spurs with Heat being favored to come out on top if they don't have to face Spurs.

You don't see OKC beating the Heat,but you do see the Spurs beating any team if they only make it to the finals. :facepalm: . Do the Spurs get some super level up or something when they make it to the finals, that makes them unbeatable.

Joshtd1
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
I won't claim to watch many Spurs games, but they do look different on the road and at home. Overall, their defense is average...but I had no idea the split between home and away was that big. Yikes.

If they still played that championship/early-2000s Spurs level of defense, I'd love their chances. They just don't...and overall, OKC could very well be the better defensive team. If Manu is healthy and can play at an elite level, and if they hit some threes, they can do it. I just can't bank on it...

We have beaten OKC twice this year without Manu I believe..once for sure. We have more versatility this year with defense then we did last year. Of course OKC very well could beat our ***, I just feel confident about this matchup compared to potential others. It's not just this year though, like I've mentioned we have seemed to had their number over the last few years. Just one of those things.

We started off the on road terribly, but we have picked it up big time. If the Spurs didnt start off so terribly on the road, the split wouldn't be as big.

Again don't get me wrong, OKC is a damn good team and probably the favorite right now. Playoffs are all about matchups though like I mentioned, and know that you know. Just a matchup I like in our favor.

Joshtd1
03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
You don't see OKC beating the Heat,but you do see the Spurs beating any team if they only make it to the finals. :facepalm: . Do the Spurs get some super level up or something when they make it to the finals, that makes them unbeatable.

Championship experience? One of the, if not the Best coach in the NBA? That's probably the biggest advantage we have over any team in the east.

SwatTeam
03-26-2012, 04:47 PM
I didn't say you did. I said I think they can...

I also never said YOU used the word. I was agreeing with your post :laugh: The whole "jumping to conclusions based on a few regular season games"...

Hahaha my apologies sir.

ManRam
03-26-2012, 04:47 PM
We have beaten OKC twice this year without Manu I believe..once for sure. We have more versatility this year with defense then we did last year. Of course OKC very well could beat our ***, I just feel confident about this matchup compared to potential others. It's not just this year though, like I've mentioned we have seemed to had their number over the last few years. Just one of those things.

We started off the on road terribly, but we have picked it up big time. If the Spurs didnt start off so terribly on the road, the split wouldn't be as big.

Again don't get me wrong, OKC is a damn good team and probably the favorite right now. Playoffs are all about matchups though like I mentioned, and know that you know. Just a matchup I like in our favor.

Yeah. Like I've been saying, I'm trying not to get hung up on regular season results...they tend to mean little. But they are hard to ignore.

The matchups are there...for sure. We'll see. I will be rooting for it. I would love to see it happen.

kdspurman
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Yea it's like night and day. I do think the roster change will help as Jackson can defend much better than RJ. But their defense away from home sucks to put it lightly. If they can get it to average on the road, I'd be happy.

They're about neck and neck with OKC in terms of defensive numbers. Where we have the advantage is late game execution, (which comes from experience /coaching) we foul the least of any team in the league and turn it over the 2nd least only to Philly. (OKC turns it over more than anyone) What that does, is prevents them from getting out in transition which is where they're very dangerous (much like Miami)

OKC gets to the line a ton, and they run very well, and just from those 2 stats a lone aside from personnel/depth is why some people think SA matches up well with OKC. Not to mention they'er 8-2 in their last 10 meetings.

ThunderousDemon
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Championship experience? One of the, if not the Best coach in the NBA? That's probably the biggest advantage we have over any team in the east.

You don't get what I'm saying do you. He(meaning Naps) said that he can't see OKC beating the Heat in the Finals, but he can see the Spurs beating any team if they only make it to the finals. The Spurs would have to face the thunder before they moved on to the finals, but he said,"If the Spurs makes it that far", which means he is implying that he has doubts, which in turn negates what he said about the Spurs beating any team in the finals.

Joshtd1
03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
You don't get what I'm saying do you. He(meaning Naps) said that he can't see OKC beating the Heat in the Finals, but he can see the Spurs beating any team if they only make it to the finals. The Spurs would have to face the thunder before they moved on to the finals, but he said,"If the Spurs makes it that far", which means he is implying that he has doubts, which in turn negates what he said about the Spurs beating any team in the finals.

Maybe his point is he feels we don't matchup with the Thunder, but if we do we matchup with any other team in the east.

JordansBulls
03-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Bulls over Thunder in 7.

GrandDaddyPurp
03-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Heat over Lakers in 6.

ManRam
03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Yea it's like night and day. I do think the roster change will help as Jackson can defend much better than RJ. But their defense away from home sucks to put it lightly. If they can get it to average on the road, I'd be happy.

They're about neck and neck with OKC in terms of defensive numbers. Where we have the advantage is late game execution, (which comes from experience /coaching) we foul the least of any team in the league and turn it over the 2nd least only to Philly. (OKC turns it over more than anyone) What that does, is prevents them from getting out in transition which is where they're very dangerous (much like Miami)

OKC gets to the line a ton, and they run very well, and just from those 2 stats a lone aside from personnel/depth is why some people think SA matches up well with OKC. Not to mention they'er 8-2 in their last 10 meetings.

I almost forgot about that wonderful little trade. Jackson has looked OK. And as much as I don't like his game anymore, he still can probably defend a bit better than RJ.

I was looking in depth at the 4 Offensive Factors...mainly Magic related. The Thunder were interesting to me and I kinda was intrigued by it. It really didn't surprise me, but it says a lot to me.

The Thunder are the best offensive team in the NBA, by a wide margin over the #2 team (Chicago). The Thunder rank: 1st in eFG%, 30th in TO%, 15th in ORB%, and 1st in FT/FGA (the offensive four factors). You have the Bulls, for comparison's sake, that are a top 3 offense this season because they don't turn the ball over and because they are far and away the best (offensive) rebounding team in the NBA. Basically, they've been so good for the complete opposite reasons. Very different offenses (even the pace differential is stark) but very similar results (top 2 offensive efficiencies).

Keep OKC off the line, make them pay for those massive TO numbers, and beat them on the boards and it's doable. They are prone if you can pull that off. But they will score at an efficient rate no matter what. Easier said than done, but even though they are the best offensive team in the league, they do have some major flaws that I think a great coach like Pop could expose.

But they're very similar teams. The Thunder are #1 in offensive efficiency, the Spurs are #3. The Thunder are #1 in eFG% and the Spurs are #3. The Thunder have a pace factor of 93.3 compared to the Spurs 92.2 (#5 vs #8). Defensively, they're actually even more identical: 12th and 13th in defensive efficiency...OKC does hold opposing teams to a bit lower of an eFG%, but San Antonio is the best defensive rebounding team in the league and really do not ever foul (.167 FT/FGA...second lowest in the NBA).

It would be a great match up...as I keep saying ;)

kdspurman
03-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I almost forgot about that wonderful little trade. Jackson has looked OK. And as much as I don't like his game anymore, he still can probably defend a bit better than RJ.

I was looking in depth at the 4 Offensive Factors...mainly Magic related. The Thunder were interesting to me and I kinda was intrigued by it. It really didn't surprise me, but it says a lot to me.

The Thunder are the best offensive team in the NBA, by a wide margin over the #2 team (Chicago). The Thunder rank: 1st in eFG%, 30th in TO%, 15th in ORB%, and 1st in FT/FGA (the offensive four factors). You have the Bulls, for comparison's sake, that are a top 3 offense this season because they don't turn the ball over and because they are far and away the best (offensive) rebounding team in the NBA. Basically, they've been so good for the complete opposite reasons. Very different offenses (even the pace differential is stark) but very similar results (top 2 offensive efficiencies).

Keep OKC off the line, make them pay for those massive TO numbers, and beat them on the boards and it's doable. They are prone if you can pull that off. But they will score at an efficient rate no matter what. Easier said than done, but even though they are the best offensive team in the league, they do have some major flaws that I think a great coach like Pop could expose.

But they're very similar teams. The Thunder are #1 in offensive efficiency, the Spurs are #3. The Thunder are #1 in eFG% and the Spurs are #3. The Thunder have a pace factor of 93.3 compared to the Spurs 92.2 (#5 vs #8). Defensively, they're actually even more identical: 12th and 13th in defensive efficiency...OKC does hold opposing teams to a bit lower of an eFG%, but San Antonio is the best defensive rebounding team in the league and really do not ever foul (.167 FT/FGA...second lowest in the NBA).

Absolutely. Great finds btw. It's much closer than a lot of people (and "experts" for that matter) realize.

All that said, I still don't count out the Lakers and even Orlando in the East. Those are my 2 wild cards that can make some stuff happen if they got hot/clicking at the right time.

gotoHcarolina52
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM

How teams match up with one another matters.

justinnum1
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Im not sure about that, heat can beat any team. OKC would give us the most fits and they are our biggest competition. Tho i can see a team like memphis giving miami some trouble. I think miami gets thought the east rather easily again, but whoever comes out the west will give miami some trouble.

torocan
03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
OKC over Miami in 6.
OKC over Bulls in 6.

The only reason I'm going this way is Miami and Bulls will most likely have to get through eachother first.

Miami has a killer front, Bulls are deep and will be going in with a massive chip on their shoulder after being knocked out last year.

I don't expect either Miami or Bulls to get to the finals without taking a severe physical beating.

That's not even counting that they'll have to grind their way through the physical defenses of the 76ers, Celtics, or the Knicks (if they come with their A defensive game).

How many times have you seen the Clippers or Suns beat the crap out of their opponents with imposing physical defense? Not that often.

I expect OKC to come out in much better shape physically, giving them a significant edge going into a 7 game series.

justinnum1
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
OKC over Miami in 6.
OKC over Bulls in 6.

The only reason I'm going this way is Miami and Bulls will most likely have to get through eachother first.

Miami has a killer front, Bulls are deep and will be going in with a massive chip on their shoulder after being knocked out last year.

I don't expect either Miami or Bulls to get to the finals without taking a severe physical beating.

That's not even counting that they'll have to grind their way through the physical defenses of the 76ers, Celtics, or the Knicks (if they come with their A defensive game).

How many times have you seen the Clippers or Suns beat the crap out of their opponents with imposing physical defense? Not that often.

I expect OKC to come out in much better shape physically, giving them a significant edge going into a 7 game series.

Huh? Thunder will probably face the lakers or grizz in the WCF, that will most def be a physical matchup.

You would think the bulls play the heat physical and maybe they will but they didnt last year, it wasnt until UD came back at 60% health and totally change that series with his physicality.

ghettosean
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Miami was playing pretty awful though... I saw some senseless turnovers and horrible defense. I can't wait for the rematch just so we can see if the 1st game was a fluke or not.

I'll make a prediction after April 4th when OKC and Miami have a rematch.

ghettosean
03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Huh? Thunder will probably face the lakers or grizz in the WCF, that will most def be a physical matchup.

You would think the bulls play the heat physical and maybe they will but they didnt last year, it wasnt until UD came back at 60% health and totally change that series with his physicality.
This and you left out my Dark Horse Spurs who have had there way with OKC so far this season...

ghettosean
03-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Heat over Lakers in 6.
Well see they just lost to Memphis last night... I can't see Kobe taking down OKC or San Antonio those teams are just too deep in my opinion and if you look past Bynum, Gasol, Kobe and we can throw Sessions in there they don't have much beyond that.

ghettosean
03-26-2012, 05:38 PM

It will be a great match up for sure and don't forget that the season series is 2-1 in favor of the spurs and every time they played OKC Manu was not playing at all so if you add him in the mix it makes for a very interesting series indeed!

Not sure who comes out but it will be great to watch!

shep33
03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Bucks vs. Jazz

Cool007
03-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Bulls over Spurs in 6.

xk4
03-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Thunder over Magic in 5

Azzacadabra
03-26-2012, 07:14 PM
If OKC can keep up their torrid pace I think they win it all. I think their toughest challenge may be the spurs.

theheatles
03-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Heat/Spurs

D12 fan
03-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Magic over Spurs in 7games

SportsAndrew25
03-26-2012, 07:36 PM
I see either the Heat, Bulls or Thunder winning the NBA title. They have the three best teams in the sport and they have incredible depth.

ManningToTyree
03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Bulls Vs. OKC

DaBear
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM
I bet most of the people picking OKC to win it all didn't say that before they beat Miami last night.

gotoHcarolina52
03-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I bet most of the people picking OKC to win it all didn't say that before they beat Miami last night.

Watch, if the Bulls beat the Thunder decisively on Sunday, PSD will proclaim Chicago as the clear favorites to win it all. PSD is filled with knee-jerkers.

kdspurman
03-26-2012, 08:20 PM
I see either the Heat, Bulls or Thunder winning the NBA title. They have the three best teams in the sport and they have incredible depth.

Miami and OKC have incredible depth?

naps
03-26-2012, 08:51 PM

Do you know how to read? As a Heat fan I don't think we can win it all if we meet the Spurs in the finals but we can beat any other team IMO. So I am saying Spurs are the most dangerous team for anyone coming out of east (Heat or Bulls). If they don't reach the finals then my bet is the Heat.

Clear now?

Oh, and NO I don't see any chance your beloved Lakers winning it all (Most likely reason why you are mad at me). Don't be mad just because I think they can't win. They still might as many Lakers fans believe but it's just me.

No, he's just mad because I picked the Spurs as the most dangerous team out west if they stay 100% healthy, and didn't even mention his favorite team. I bet he's too young to understand and is incapable of grasping the ability of a healthy Spurs team in the playoffs.

WOW!

I have doubts if the Spurs can stay HeAlThY. I have no doubt on their ability of beating any team if they are 100%. You must not be good in English reading?

naps
03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
double...

looka09
03-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Miami will not be the champions this year.I think Lakers/Thunder or Bulls.

ghettosean
03-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Seriously though?!? The spurs get no mention in here... I'm not even a fan but they have been playing damn good this year and have caused a lot of trouble for OKC the last 2 times they played them and that was with no Manu!!! They kind of just breezed by them both times... But whatever well see how people change there tunes when the playoffs start.

They are a boring team I get it but they just don't get the respect they deserve!

People mentioning the Lakers over San Antonio like really?!? I like L.A but there bench is not deep enough to make a serious playoff run but well see.

ManRam
03-26-2012, 09:58 PM
They aren't even boring any more. When Manu is healthy, he's one of the 5-7 most exciting players in the NBA IMO. They have a lot more athleticism, youth and high energy players this year than in the past. Parker isn't a snooze-fest either...far from it.

This isn't the same type of Spurs team that we've grown used to.

ghettosean
03-26-2012, 10:00 PM
They aren't even boring any more. When Manu is healthy, he's one of the 5-7 most exciting players in the NBA IMO. They have a lot more athleticism, youth and high energy players this year than in the past. Parker isn't a snooze-fest either...far from it.

This isn't the same type of Spurs team that we've grown used to.
You are correct but they are just as underrated as ever.

gotoHcarolina52
03-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Going solely off of the last two games I've watched, it'll surely be the Thunder vs. the Pacers.

JJ_JKidd
03-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Man ya gots to love all these predictions. Thunder and Heat last year was the PREDICTION right? But what happened to the JOKElahoma Blunders huh? :facepalm:

devilsheat25
03-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Not sure what's wrong with having the Thunder predicted in the finals.

justinnum1
03-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Going solely off of the last two games I've watched, it'll surely be the Thunder vs. the Pacers.

lol

BallinLikaLaker
03-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Lakers Heat with Lakers taking it in 7

TRF929
03-27-2012, 12:02 AM

Obviously you didn't watch the Spurs stomp the Thunder and Pacers, really?

Mr_Amaziing
03-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Okc vs Bulls

Okc in 7

Mr_Amaziing
03-27-2012, 01:06 AM

The Spurs would most likely lose in the 1st round like how they did last season

PacersForLife
03-27-2012, 01:22 AM

The Spurs haven't played the Pacers this year.

Raph12
03-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Magic over Spurs in 7 :D

TRF929
03-27-2012, 04:33 AM
The Spurs haven't played the Pacers this year.

My bad, bad sentence structure. Spurs stomped Thunder, just surprised be the Pacer pick. I like em and all but I dont see them in finals

LGhost
03-27-2012, 04:42 AM
The only exciting series as of now would be Bulls vs. Thunder or Bulls vs. Spurs

FrenchSunsFan
03-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Suns vs who you want.

kdspurman
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
The Spurs would most likely lose in the 1st round like how they did last season

Nope lol. They learned how to win big games this year without Manu. Last year Manu got hurt in the last game of the regular season and missed their first game. That's one of the benefits of having a deep team ;)

ManRam
03-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Man ya gots to love all these predictions. Thunder and Heat last year was the PREDICTION right? But what happened to the JOKElahoma Blunders huh? :facepalm:

Well, they didn't make it to the Finals last year...but that...was...last...year...

But why is predicting that the Thunder so silly? I mean they're the team that has been the clear best team in the West all season long...the team that should have HCA (and the Spurs, Clippers, and especially Mavs and Lakers are bad on the road).

And why are we bringing up last season. Last year they weren't as good as they are this year. Last year the Spurs (regular season at least), Lakers and Mavs were all better teams throughout the duration of the season...and they STILL made it to the WCF. Why can't they do it this year?

Gotta be blind hate...and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like the Thunder.

Law25
03-27-2012, 05:00 PM
I think it's heavily unlikely because the Lakers match up extremely poorly against teams like OKC, LAC, and maybe even Memphis and San Antonio to some degree.

In the case of OKC and LAC, both have are extremely athletic with athletic perimeter players in Westbrook, Harden, Durant and Paul and Young respectively who have given that LA defense MAJOR fits. I'm not sure Sessions is enough to offset that difference. I'd also expect Blake to put Pau or Bynum in major foul trouble.

With Memphis, they have some combination of that athletic perimeter game in Conley and Gay, couple that with one of the best defenders in Tony Allen, and I think Kobe has a tough time. Add that their frontcourt is as big and dominant as LA's and I don't see such an advantage for LA anymore.

I'm 50-50 on SA. I think Parker and their fast paced 3pt shooting would give LA problems ala Dallas last season. But LA does have major size advantage on them. However, I think Pops simply schools Brown in the coaching aspect. That's why I ultimately take SA over LA.

In the end, my biggest issues with LA fall in the fact that

(A) Their offense still is a HUGE question mark. Brown is an idiot as far as the offensive side of the ball goes and having Kobe play hero ball will end in them losing quickly. I'm not sure Brown has the cajones to stop Kobe.

(B) Even with the acquisition of Sessions, I still question whether they can hold athletic perimeter players. It's been their biggest problem and Kobe has not been very good defensively the last few years as he has gotten older.

They're kind of like the Miami Heat in some regard with their big 3, except they're worse talent wise and they are even less on the same page. Factor in that Brown is clueless in regards to their offense, and I'd be shocked if they make it to the WCF.

iI agree with alot of what your saying except for the bolded becuase come playoffs like in years past (aside from last year)Kobe will be focus and more of a team player. The other part you didnt mention is while it will be extremely hard to match the teams youve listed, I dont think any of them can match up with the lakers. Ibaka or Perkins cant stop Bynum and Gasol, same goes for Mark Gasol and Zach, Blake and DeAndre( Bynum abuses him everytime), Timmy and who ever they put next to him. When Kobe is focus and rested ther is no answer for his complete game still in my opinion. The only way teams beat the Lakers is with bench play.

Underdogz∞
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Heat over Thunder or Lakers

or

Bulls over Thunder or Lakers

Brad IBCB
03-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Heat over Thunder or Lakers

or

Bulls over Thunder or Lakers

I agree with this.

D-Leethal