PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Travis Snider

Budsfan4life
03-26-2012, 11:34 AM
In my view the Jays still need another quality starting pitcher to contend for the playoffs this year, and Travis gives them that opportunity to obtain one if they were serious about making some noise this season. As much as I like Snider hes been given lots of chances to prove that he belongs in the majors and has struggled at times to hit major league pitching well constistanly. I would be willing to sacrifice trading Snider who is still young enough to turn into a solid major league player at some point, in order to aquire a pitcher to get us over the hump.

JermanJaysFan
03-26-2012, 11:41 AM
It depends what I can get for him. I get the feeling that he is more valuable to us right now than he is to anyone else.

2009mvp
03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Who's giving up a quality SP for Snider at this point? Colby Rasmus bought the Cards half a year of Edwin Jackson and a bunch of spare parts, I'd say Snider's value is even lower than that at this point.

Twitchy
03-26-2012, 11:49 AM
If you want to argue that Snider hasn't performed, then how can he bring anything of value in return?

Snider only has value to the Jays. And he'll only be valuable to other teams when he performs like we expect he will, at which point the Jays will have zero incentive to move him.

mkcavy
03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
There are many other "Travis Sniders" in the baseball world... tons of talent, great potential, poor results. I say trade him for another one of that type of player, and see if a change of scenery for both would work better.

Sanyo
03-26-2012, 12:08 PM
True what can you get for him right now? But then again he did have a strong spring, this may attract a team lacking a strong power bat -- this would obviously be a gamble but its something that AA would do if the roles were reserved -- any team who may take this gamble?

Farsight
03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
If you want to argue that Snider hasn't performed, then how can he bring anything of value in return?

Snider only has value to the Jays. And he'll only be valuable to other teams when he performs like we expect he will, at which point the Jays will have zero incentive to move him. spot on. I think Thames at this point in time has more trade value. If Snider does get traded, he would have to be packaged with other prospects/players to get a fair return

jakedajewler
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Snider only has value to the Jays. And he'll only be valuable to other teams when he performs like we expect he will, at which point the Jays will have zero incentive to move him.

incorrect, people do trade based on potential, we didn't trade for colby rasmus based on how well he was playing at the time of the trade

phillipmike
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I say no because you cant get much for him. But i dont know what other teams would offer for him, if AA can fleece someone or someone is makes a great offer then how do you say no?

I prefer to have both Thames and Snider in the lineup one in LF and as the DH. But EE has that spot and rightfully so.

As the season plays on their roles will be better outlined.

WhatSayYou
03-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah pretty much agree with above posters, you never wanna sell low. I think considering what he`d bring in return we`re better off just hoping he finally clicks instead of recieving the average prospects/big leaguers in return.

LuckyLuke2
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Who's giving up a quality SP for Snider at this point? Colby Rasmus bought the Cards half a year of Edwin Jackson and a bunch of spare parts, I'd say Snider's value is even lower than that at this point.

Yeah agreed. If the question is would I want to trade Snider then I say yes. But at this point he won't be traded I don't think.

His value is low, he hasn't proven anything to anyone so another team won't be calling AA offering him a good enough deal.

If a team came calling and the offer was a SP, a decent one, then I make the trade.

miller74
03-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Might as well for the way they use him

LuckyLuke2
03-26-2012, 02:37 PM
spot on. I think Thames at this point in time has more trade value. If Snider does get traded, he would have to be packaged with other prospects/players to get a fair return

Yeah Thames does have more value but at this point I wouldn't be happy if Thames got dealt and Snider became the full time LF.

St. Louis wanted Thames included in the Rasmus trade but AA said no.. so that tells you something. Thames could be dealt and the return would surely be way higher than a Snider return.

miller74
03-26-2012, 02:38 PM
In my view the Jays still need another quality starting pitcher to contend for the playoffs this year, and Travis gives them that opportunity to obtain one if they were serious about making some noise this season. As much as I like Snider hes been given lots of chances to prove that he belongs in the majors and has struggled at times to hit major league pitching well constistanly. I would be willing to sacrifice trading Snider who is still young enough to turn into a solid major league player at some point, in order to aquire a pitcher to get us over the hump.

When was that

Cooshman
03-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Right now, Snider wouldn't get us any sort of quality pitching in return. No point in trading Snider as would get less then what we gave up for Rasmus.
Hopefully someone works hard with Snider so that he learns how to hit offspeed pitches and becomes useful to us.

AA09-?
03-26-2012, 03:01 PM
I would be open to it depending on what we get in return of course. Also, if we're trading Snider we might as well try and add it in a starter to open up a spot in the rotation for starter we acquire. This should net us at least a little bit better of a starter than we're trading. Something to certainly look at.

2009mvp
03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah Thames does have more value but at this point I wouldn't be happy if Thames got dealt and Snider became the full time LF.

St. Louis wanted Thames included in the Rasmus trade but AA said no.. so that tells you something. Thames could be dealt and the return would surely be way higher than a Snider return.

A) I've never heard that, got a source?
B) Considering the OFer that ended up going the other way was Corey Patterson I'd say it doesn't tell you very much of anything (if in fact true).

Towelie
03-26-2012, 03:35 PM
You can't trade him he has no value at all. Someone would risk it for upside.

bartron_44
03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Why wouldn't you trade him in a package deal if it meant you get back a premium starting pitcher who is ready to compete for a championship NOW.

I would be looking if anyone wanted a package of Cecil,Snider,Aaron Sanchez and AJ Jimenez. I think that package would bring us back a pretty decent starting pitcher, and we really wouldn't miss any of them...

The other team gets
1- a young left handed starter who has won 15 games before in the AL east,
2- a former top 10 hitting prospect who is still 24 and plays good d in the OF,
3- a young SP with high upside and a solid 2 way catcher for their farm system..

Considering what AA got for just Nestor Molina, I think he could get us a pretty solid arm for a package like that. I would shop a package like that to try and get back a serious impact type of SP.

first I would try to get Cain,Shields or Haren....but if they were all unsuccessful, maybe add McGuire and Crouse and see if the Brewers would give us Marcum AND Grienke :) I think we would actually be the favorites in our division with a rotation of:

Romero
Grienke
Marcum
Morrow
Alvarez

mtf
03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
You can't trade him he has no value at all. Someone would risk it for upside.

That's merely an opinion, not a fact. The truth is that there's plenty of teams looking for outfielders going into this season (Jon Morosi was discussing that topic just this morning on twitter). In addition, he just turned 24 and is still considered to be a player with a ton of potential. General Managers also like the idea of picking up players when it's perceived that they can potentially "buy low". I'm not saying I think he should be traded, but to argue that he can't be traded is fairly asinine.

Twitchy
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
incorrect, people do trade based on potential, we didn't trade for colby rasmus based on how well he was playing at the time of the trade

Colby Rasmus was the best hitting center fielder in the game in 2010. He wasn't just potential. He'd shown at the major league level over a full season he could be a star player. According to most people Snider hasn't done that. So it's not the same.

Cooshman
03-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Why wouldn't you trade him in a package deal if it meant you get back a premium starting pitcher who is ready to compete for a championship NOW.

I would be looking if anyone wanted a package of Cecil,Snider,Aaron Sanchez and AJ Jimenez. I think that package would bring us back a pretty decent starting pitcher, and we really wouldn't miss any of them...

The other team gets
1- a young left handed starter who has won 15 games before in the AL east,
2- a former top 10 hitting prospect who is still 24 and plays good d in the OF,
3- a young SP with high upside and a solid 2 way catcher for their farm system..

Considering what AA got for just Nestor Molina, I think he could get us a pretty solid arm for a package like that. I would shop a package like that to try and get back a serious impact type of SP.

first I would try to get Cain,Shields or Haren....but if they were all unsuccessful, maybe add McGuire and Crouse and see if the Brewers would give us Marcum AND Grienke :) I think we would actually be the favorites in our division with a rotation of:

Romero
Grienke
Marcum
Morrow
Alvarez

:speechless:

I think I just dropped a load in my pants....

Cooshman
03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
That's merely an opinion, not a fact. The truth is that there's plenty of teams looking for outfielders going into this season (Jon Morosi was discussing that topic just this morning on twitter). In addition, he just turned 24 and is still considered to be a player with a ton of potential. General Managers also like the idea of picking up players when it's perceived that they can potentially "buy low". I'm not saying I think he should be traded, but to argue that he can't be traded is fairly asinine.

He can definitely be traded, but i doubt we would be interested in the garbage his return would provide us with!

rockbottom2010
03-26-2012, 06:08 PM
i would put brett cecil as part of a package

Nick O
03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
eh try to get his stock up first.. wont get much for him right now

wagnall
03-26-2012, 08:04 PM

I'm not saying I want him to go anywhere, but I agree with you that teams that are in rebuild mode would find interest in a young 24 year old who has very good MLB defence and a bat that they may think they have the time and people to fix, and since we all feel he hasn't been given a full shot, they may have the time to work with him, which apparantly we don't have or want to do. :)

Towelie
03-26-2012, 08:49 PM

The Jays would be selling at a massive low point to the point of not being worth it. If it was worth while, he'd already be gone. Clearly the value for him isn't anywhere to be found. Like I said he'd be traded only to a team who believes in his upside. I could see a RP or a backup for him. Maybe a low A medium ceiling guy.

mtf
03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
The Jays would be selling at a massive low point to the point of not being worth it. If it was worth while, he'd already be gone. Clearly the value for him isn't anywhere to be found. Like I said he'd be traded only to a team who believes in his upside. I could see a RP or a backup for him. Maybe a low A medium ceiling guy.

Yeah I've seen you make this sort of argument regarding Travis Snider before, but I think your opinion of what he's worth is far lower than many General Managers around baseball. You're essentially saying he's next to useless, which isn't the case at all.

Anthopoulos is fond of warning fans in Toronto that except in rare cases, even the most highly rated prospects often go back to the minors a couple times after big league debuts and have to work through slumps. Snider had a great spring, and although Spring Training numbers mean very little, it'd be wrong to think he's all but done in the majors as anything more than a utility bench bat or something equally useless.

craigerlee
03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah I've seen you make this sort of argument regarding Travis Snider before, but I think your opinion of what he's worth is far lower than many General Managers around baseball. You're essentially saying he's next to useless, which isn't the case at all.

Anthopoulos is fond of warning fans in Toronto that except in rare cases, even the most highly rated prospects often go back to the minors a couple times after big league debuts and have to work through slumps. Snider had a great spring, and although Spring Training numbers mean very little, it'd be wrong to think he's all but done in the majors as anything more than a utility bench bat or something equally useless.

Look what the Marlins got for Maybin. Two relievers, that's about what I think you have to expect to get for Snider right now. Maybin was every bit as touted as Snider and if you include defense, he performed as well as Snider in the majors.

You gotta hold on to Snider and just hope he can figure it out, he'll get his chance this year as AA must know that he's out of options after this year and he needs to have a good look at Snider before he just lets him go for some free or for a couple of relievers.

bartron_44
03-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Look what the Marlins got for Maybin. Two relievers, that's about what I think you have to expect to get for Snider right now. Maybin was every bit as touted as Snider and if you include defense, he performed as well as Snider in the majors.

You gotta hold on to Snider and just hope he can figure it out, he'll get his chance this year as AA must know that he's out of options after this year and he needs to have a good look at Snider before he just lets him go for some free or for a couple of relievers.

That's why you include him in a package :)

craigerlee
03-27-2012, 09:35 AM
That's why you include him in a package :)

Doesn't matter though, you still have to give up another player with value to get something good and your still not going to get full value for Snider.

Kenny Powders
03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
No matter what, Snider will not be traded. AA will be going against his whole philosophy of high upisde, projectible and team control. Its a moot point.

mkcavy
03-27-2012, 11:03 AM
No matter what, Snider will not be traded. AA will be going against his whole philosophy of high upisde, projectible and team control. Its a moot point.

Most cases I'd agree with you on that point, but with Snider it's now different. He's on his last option. If you call him up, and he doesn't perform, they would either have to waste a spot on the 25-man roster or send him down and lose him for nothing. The organization needs to decide - risk that scenario, or try and move him for something tangible now. Not an easy decision.

Kenny Powders
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Most cases I'd agree with you on that point, but with Snider it's now different. He's on his last option. If you call him up, and he doesn't perform, they would either have to waste a spot on the 25-man roster or send him down and lose him for nothing. The organization needs to decide - risk that scenario, or try and move him for something tangible now. Not an easy decision.

Thats true to a point I guess, but when you are carrying players like

A) Adam Lind who has and OBP of .295 batted .250 and had an OPS of .734 batting fourth.

B) Colby Rasmus who had a slash line of .173 .201 .316 with the Blue Jays last year, which is a small sample size, I know

C) Eric Thames- who had a decent year batting in front of the best hitter in baseball until the last 26 games, where he batted a putrid .211 to finish the season.

Is Snider really much of a worse option themn these guys. I mean he projects to be much better then two of them, I just hate how these guys get multiple chances to prove themselves but one hint that Snider is regressing he is sent down.

Ace Drivers
03-27-2012, 02:36 PM
When was that

The past 800 at bats...

Ace Drivers
03-27-2012, 02:42 PM

A) Adam Lind who has and OBP of .295 batted .250 and had an OPS of .734 batting fourth.

B) Colby Rasmus who had a slash line of .173 .201 .316 with the Blue Jays last year, which is a small sample size, I know

C) Eric Thames- who had a decent year batting in front of the best hitter in baseball until the last 26 games, where he batted a putrid .211 to finish the season.

Is Snider really much of a worse option themn these guys. I mean he projects to be much better then two of them, I just hate how these guys get multiple chances to prove themselves but one hint that Snider is regressing he is sent down.

Biggest issue here..."he projects"...every GM and scout will tell you they are almost always right...but that's not the truth, the truth is there are more Billy Beane's/Jeff Mathis's of the world then there are Brett Lawrie's/Prince Fielder's...

Until a player does it (Lind silver slugger) (Rasmus see 2010) (Thames last season not including the last 26 games)...projections mean squat, and I've said it before and I'll say it again..."a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush"

Towelie
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Yup.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Blue Jays haven't drawn much trade interest in Travis Snider.
One likely reason for the lack of interest is that teams know the Jays are unlikely to deal him while his value is low. Snider batted .271 (13-for-48) with four homers and 16 RBI this spring, but he was demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas on Sunday after losing the starting left field job to Eric Thames. Still, we suspect the 24-year-old will find his way back to the majors before long.

wamco
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Marcum is going to FA i read. Time to bring him home and tony fernandez that trade.

nithanyo
03-29-2012, 02:59 PM

AA is on the other side of the court now. Snider is the equivalent of Escobar or Rasmus. He has talent but cant put it together in Toronto for some reason. Its best if we ship him off and try for a real ace.

Snider, Drabek, Mcguire/Jenkins and maybe another prospect for Felix Hernandez?

Imagine the rotation

Felix
Romero
Morrow
Alvarez
Mcgowan or prospect

:drool:

Kenny Powders
03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
AA is on the other side of the court now. Snider is the equivalent of Escobar or Rasmus. He has talent but cant put it together in Toronto for some reason. Its best if we ship him off and try for a real ace.

Snider, Drabek, Mcguire/Jenkins and maybe another prospect for Felix Hernandez?

Imagine the rotation

Felix
Romero
Morrow
Alvarez
Mcgowan or prospect

:drool:

Maybe if they let him stick around for, I don't know, a full season, he may be able to work things out. This has been beaten to death though and everybody stands where they stand.

That being said, I would be open to trading pretty much anything for Hernandez, but it would be Lawrie +++, they need hitters, not pitchers.

nithanyo
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Maybe if they let him stick around for, I don't know, a full season, he may be able to work things out. This has been beaten to death though and everybody stands where they stand.

That being said, I would be open to trading pretty much anything for Hernandez, but it would be Lawrie +++, they need hitters, not pitchers.

We dont have much in terms of hitters to give up in the minors. D'arnaud might be a start.

Kenny Powders
03-29-2012, 03:42 PM
We dont have much in terms of hitters to give up in the minors. D'arnaud might be a start.

If I were to guess, it would probably take

Lawrie
one of Gose or Marsinick
one of Hutchison or Norris
and probably a lower level spec

This is a shot in the dark, but it is going to have to take a big haul for them to move him.

AA09-?
03-29-2012, 03:44 PM

Lawrie
one of Gose or Marsinick

This is a shot in the dark, but it is going to have to take a big haul for them to move him.

Not worth it.IMO

Kenny Powders
03-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Not worth it.IMO

I don't think so either. But it is going to take a king's ransom, pardon the pun.

Cooshman
03-29-2012, 09:06 PM

As a matter of fact, he is much worst...you are putting out the worst example numbers of each player and then speak on previous posts of the Best example numbers of Snider...since you want to use Linds 2011 numbers, Thames last 26 games and 25% of Rasmus 2011 games...then how about this:
.225avg, .269OBP, .348SLG, .617OPS - a strike out 30% of his AB's...
Yeah, I would say Snider is a worst option then any of those guys.

koreancabbage
03-29-2012, 10:07 PM
As a matter of fact, he is much worst...you are putting out the worst example numbers of each player and then speak on previous posts of the Best example numbers of Snider...since you want to use Linds 2011 numbers, Thames last 26 games and 25% of Rasmus 2011 games...then how about this:

thats a good way of looking at things. Snider at his worst is pretty bad. Those wild swings at breaking balls are horrendous.

nithanyo
03-29-2012, 11:00 PM

Lawrie
one of Gose or Marsinick

Ya Lawrie isn't going anywhere (i hope)

Maybe, Snide, Marisnic, D'arnaud and lower level prospect

koreancabbage
03-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Ya Lawrie isn't going anywhere (i hope)

Maybe, Snide, Marisnic, D'arnaud and lower level prospect

i would def trade Snider and D'Arnaud and a Hutchison for Felix

mtf
03-29-2012, 11:51 PM

It's good to see you've abandon your Runs/RBIs > SLG%/OBP% stance you took a few days ago. Give it another week and you'll say Lind is trash and Snider deserves a legitimate chance.

Cooshman
03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
It's good to see you've abandon your Runs/RBIs > SLG%/OBP% stance you took a few days ago. Give it another week and you'll say Lind is trash and Snider deserves a legitimate chance.

I have not abandoned anything - RBI's, Run's, HR, AVG are all important numbers that I will always defend.....if you read my posts, I also said that SLG, OBP and OPS are numbers that need to be looked at as well (you conveniently left this out).

Kenny Powders
03-30-2012, 09:33 AM

I would be willing to use any of Lind's years except for 2009. Thats 4 out of 5. He sucks, get over it.

You remind me of a bad itch.

Kenny Powders
03-30-2012, 09:34 AM
i would def trade Snider and D'Arnaud and a Hutchison for Felix

As would I, but I am pretty sure it would take much more then that.

Cooshman
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I would be willing to use any of Lind's years except for 2009. Thats 4 out of 5. He sucks, get over it.

You remind me of a bad itch.

The hypocrate strikes again!!
You remind me of an outcast, beaten up one too many times that uses the internet to try and act tough! Keep playing your video games, internet geek!!

wamco
03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
you have several spellings of hypocrite , and all of them are wrong.

Cooshman
03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
you have several spellings of hypocrite , and all of them are wrong.

Thanks for pointing that out! HYPOCRITE!!! Better??

wamco
03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
much

Cooshman
03-30-2012, 04:45 PM
much

Happy I could oblige.
;)

Kenny Powders
03-30-2012, 06:39 PM
The hypocrate strikes again!!
You remind me of an outcast, beaten up one too many times that uses the internet to try and act tough! Keep playing your video games, internet geek!!

What exactly is an internet geek?

wamco
03-30-2012, 06:40 PM
pretty much if you have a facebook account, in my humble opinion

statquo
03-30-2012, 06:51 PM
^^or a PSD account

JaysFan87
03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
For the record. Every stat has a place but RBI's have no place in any discussion. They are 100% lineup oriented. RBI's can not be used to compare 2 players or as a judgement tool on the players overall worth.

wamco
03-30-2012, 09:46 PM
even if they are clutch?

JaysFan87
03-30-2012, 11:51 PM
yes sir

Cooshman
03-31-2012, 11:41 AM
For the record. Every stat has a place but RBI's have no place in any discussion. They are 100% lineup oriented. RBI's can not be used to compare 2 players or as a judgement tool on the players overall worth.

I have heard people on here say the same things about runs, hr's and avg.

JaysFan87
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
I have heard people on here say the same things about runs, hr's and avg.

Add runs to that. Its equally lineup generated. And if we are doing this add pitching wins to the category of useless. There is no way to compare two players performance based on these stats as they are dependent on things out of their control.

Avg does have a place as a tool to indicate the success of the player but the ingredients to a good batting average is high LD% and at the bare minimum some luck (BABIP). Thats why it is important to look at the factors of AVG then to solely look at the AVG and make conclusion. A player with an abnormally high BABIP and LD% is far far more likely to see his AVG drop in the near future.

As for HR's they are an important tool and one that every scout and evaluator...evaluates. But HR are only a portion of the whole power package. For instance last year Alex Avila had only 19 HR but had a slg% of .506 while Evan Longoria had 31 HR but had a SLG% of .495. While the percentages are different they are for this purpose the same but someone looking at the "traditional" numbers of HR and RBI's would say that Longoria (31 HR, 99 RBI) had a significantly better year than Avila (19 HR, 82 RBI) which is simply just untrue. While Longoria had more HR than Avila, Avila had more bases which creates more runs and is the basis of baseball. And while looking at RBI would lead you and others to believe that Longria had a better season. It is easy to see how hitting sixth (Avila) significantly hampers RBI opportunities than Longoria hitting third in the lineup.

In the their seasons were very comparable with the slight edge to Avila but traditional stats would tell you otherwise.

gattaca
04-01-2012, 06:10 PM
i like travis snider, and i don't think we could get got pitching for him, so no trade