PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson?

kjoke
03-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I can't watch any GSW games. Is he legit? I can't tell if he's playing within the system or jacking up shots. Seems like Monta won't really be missed if Klay keeps this up.

A team of

Curry
Thompson
Wright
Lee
Bogut

is quite good. Great shooters and good big men.

kobebabe
03-25-2012, 12:04 PM
http://http://www.nba.com/video/games/hornets/2012/03/22/20120321_thompson_big_night.nba/index.html

I am really surprised there is not much discussion about Klay Thompson but if there is and i missed it, ma bad. This Kid is going to be special. He has really blossomed after the departure on Monta Ellis, although he still was playing good baskeball before. He has been coming up with new career high in points regularly lately. He is averaging 22.7 PPG the last 3 games and will only get better. For a Rookie that is great! He is also a good 3 point shooter.
Only problem I have with him is his rebounding. He should be pulling down more boards for a 6'7" guard. Atleast 5 a game would be decent.
He should be a good pick-up for the GS at # 11.
Looks like his former # 1 overall draft pick dad Mychal Thompson is teaching him well.

I know Kyrie should easily win ROY award but this guy should be in the discussion too.

kjoke
03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
:laugh2: I posted a same thread 5 minutes ago. That's pretty weird that both of us though to make a Klay thread 5 minutes within each post.

Robbw241
03-25-2012, 12:07 PM
meh

kobebabe
03-25-2012, 12:08 PM
:laugh2: I posted a same thread 5 minutes ago. That's pretty weird that both of us though to make a Klay thread 5 minutes within each post.

Oh wow! Interesting!

lol, please
03-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Mark jackson last night- "its scary he will only get better"
Yes he's legit. He has been taking alot if shots, and they give him the green light to shoot at will for the most part, mainly because curry and bogut are injured, he is expected to slow down his shooting next season.

kobebabe
03-25-2012, 12:11 PM
:laugh2:
Very funny that we posted this within mins of each other!

BULLSFAN0810
03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
if klay is real..Curry is gone..keep that in mind

Lloyd Christmas
03-25-2012, 12:16 PM

:laugh2: What?

lol, please
03-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Both will stick around actually. Management is sticking with those starting 5, minus the 3 which might change. Rush or wright if he doesn't leave.

Cano4prez
03-25-2012, 12:37 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

AI
03-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Curry gone? No. They traded Ellis because Klay is legit.

lol, please
03-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Curry gone? No. They traded Ellis because Klay is legit.why feed the trolls?

Pakman
03-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Too bad he doesn't play for his fathers team ;)

Kenny
03-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Looking at his game lo0g how the heck do you go like 2 months without shooting a single free throw. Thats incredible.

heyman321
03-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Clay Tomson is better than Kobe.

KnicksR4Real
03-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Liked him coming out of the draft

asandhu23
03-25-2012, 01:13 PM
I wonder how many shot attempts he gets once Curry and Bogut are part of the team. Klay isn't going to get as many shot attempts once they return.

asandhu23
03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I wonder how many shot attempts he gets once Curry and Bogut are part of the team. Klay isn't going to get as many shot attempts once they return.

Lim
03-25-2012, 01:17 PM
OP you just figured this out now? most GS fans are butt hurt over the monta trade but it will definitely make them a lot better if bogut can come back healthy.

asandhu23
03-25-2012, 01:21 PM
oh and there is no one on the W's who can drive. a weakness right there.

JasonJohnHorn
03-25-2012, 01:29 PM
I was hoping that Detroit would draft him over Knight, but.... c'est la vie.

itsripcity32
03-25-2012, 01:29 PM
He's getting traded to the Jazz for to get back their lotto pick

itsripcity32
03-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I was hoping that Detroit would draft him over Knight, but.... c'est la vie.

Why? Cus Knight is 2 years younger and fills a hole (pg) for them?

FraziersKnicks
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
I wanted him to fall to the Knicks so badly on draft night. Knew it wasn't gonna happen, the kid's a legit shooter and is gonna be a solid player in this league.

asandhu23
03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
I wanted him to fall to the Knicks so badly on draft night. Knew it wasn't gonna happen, the kid's a legit shooter and is gonna be a solid player in this league.

Warriors always take Knicks' players, don't they? :laugh2:

tredigs
03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
I became a believer when I saw him post up Tyreke in an iso and net a Kobe (MJ) style fade. Almost all of his makes were all net actually. And getting to the line 7 times last night was a big step in the right direction. He's a great foul shooter, just needs to get there more often. Amazing shooter though. GSW still has the best shooting team in the league. Now that they'll have Bogut? I think it's a legitimate force. Haven't ever felt that way about the team.

Plus, if they do continue to sit Curry there's a good chance we'll get that top 7 pick and get a guy like Jeremy Lamb.

Curry
Lamb
Thompson
Lee
Bogut

Yes please.

rockbottom2010
03-25-2012, 02:13 PM

u don't make sense....curry plays point and thompson plays the 2 guard....and then wright plays the 3...i like what they have......and biendrens...i dunno whats gonna happen to him...they will be ready for next year if thompson plays at this level

lincecum=future
03-25-2012, 02:13 PM
His numbers are definitely inflated right now due to all the injuries the dubs have. Still needs to work on driving to the hoop and creating his own shot but he can definitely score and sure as hell doesn't lack confidence.

Sactown
03-25-2012, 02:16 PM

I think he'll get less shots, but higher % shots, he's a horrid defender.. reminds me of Kevin Martin

Sactown
03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
He reminds me of Kevin Martin, they both can score the ball, but neither can defend

BradfordIsElite
03-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Don't you think a few other teams are thinkin' the same thing?
Its not like Curry's going to be jacking up 20-25 a game.. Klay will have his opportunity. Bogut plays down low, he shouldn't affect there amount of shots they take.

BradfordIsElite
03-25-2012, 02:25 PM
He reminds me of Kevin Martin, they both can score the ball, but neither can defend

I would not say that bad. Lets see him play a little more, Kevin Martin is absolutely atrocious.

Slimsim
03-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Warriors always take Knicks' players, don't they? :laugh2:

All is good we got shump

kjoke
03-25-2012, 02:36 PM
I became a believer when I saw him post up Tyreke in an iso and net a Kobe (MJ) style fade. Almost all of his makes were all net actually. And getting to the line 7 times last night was a big step in the right direction. He's a great foul shooter, just needs to get there more often. Amazing shooter though. GSW still has the best shooting team in the league. Now that they'll have Bogut? I think it's a legitimate force. Haven't ever felt that way about the team.

Plus, if they do continue to sit Curry there's a good chance we'll get that top 7 pick and get a guy like Jeremy Lamb.

Curry
Lamb
Thompson
Lee
Bogut

Yes please.

I agree, but I'm not the biggest Jeremy Lamb fan.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Many of you may not know, but Klay is the son of former NBA great Mychal Thompson, who was a former #1 overall pick by the Blazers in the early 80s, then won a couple of titles with the Showtime Lakers, and is now the Lakers radio color commentator.

meloman1592
03-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Klay Thompson is the GOAT

b@llhog24
03-25-2012, 02:57 PM

Curry
Lamb
Thompson
Lee
Bogut

Yes please.

That's :drool: worthy but can Klay can guard Sfs?

JasonJohnHorn
Why? Cus Knight is 2 years younger and fills a hole (pg) for them?

They have Stuckey at PG. And they are paying him starting salary... why would you use your first round draft pick to play back up when the hole you have is at SG. Who would they start at SG? Gordon and Bynum are both to small for SG and get abused when they are on defence. Klay is 6-7, he has some reach and height, plus he's a great shooter. Opposing SGs arent going to be posting up on Klay they way they can on Gordon and Bynum. Gordon is a guy that comes off the bench. They need a starting shooting guard more than they need anything right now. They got rebounds and ball handlers. Knight may be a good pick, but Klay fit the bill as to what was needed. Besides, Knoght only had one year as a PG coming in to the draft, and it takes a lot longer than a year to really learn the position.

beasted86
I'm not hating at all when I say this guy is playing like a run of the muck role player and doesn't deserve a dedicated thread (or two?) about his play in the NBA forum. This has team forum written all over it.

So what... he's had a nice string of games since being put in the starting lineup... but that doesn't take away from the 9 PPG average on the season. Anthony Morrow did this 3 years ago to the date in similar minutes.

waveycrockett
03-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Klay Thompson is a Kevin Martin clone

Sactown
03-25-2012, 03:09 PM
That's :drool: worthy but can Klay can guard Sfs?

He can't guard shooting guards :laugh:

billy17
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Anyone saying Klay Thompson cant defend isnt watching him play..

Especially you Kings fans.. Thornton shot like 6/16 last night, Tyreke drive on him once and he put it back in his face. Watch him move his feet, especially defending off the ball.

The kids legit, better than Monta.

Just laughing at people saying he cant defend..

EDIT: Id take him over Jimmer, even considering potential. We could have had him. Kevin Martins jumpshot is disgusting, Klay Thompsons is gorgeous

Sadds The Gr8
03-25-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm not hating at all when I say this guy is playing like a run of the muck role player and doesn't deserve a dedicated thread (or two?) about his play in the NBA forum. This has team forum written all over it.

So what... he's had a nice string of games since being put in the starting lineup... but that doesn't take away from the 9 PPG average on the season. Anthony Morrow did this 3 years ago to the date in similar minutes.

I know right? If it's not about Miami, NYK, or LAL, it's irrelevant.:rolleyes:

b@llhog24
03-25-2012, 03:18 PM

I know he's a crap defender now. :laugh2: I meant if he can develop into a capable defender.

tredigs
03-25-2012, 03:19 PM

??

#1 thing that has impressed me other than his shot has been his lateral quickness and toughness on D. Still has a lot of room to grow, but he's a very promising defender. He can guard most 2/3's. The ones he can't are basically the same ones nobody outside of Iggy and Lebron can guard.

b@llhog24
03-25-2012, 03:19 PM

It's like literally every thread that isn't about Miami he shows up in. :mad:

DerekRE_3
03-25-2012, 03:22 PM
He was great last night. They ran a ton of double screens to free him up and the Kings did an atrocious job of fighting through them but he still had to hit the shots, and he did. At one one point he was like 10-13 and hit the rim probably twice.

Defensively, he let John Salmons burn him 3 or 4 times but all in all he played very well. Once the Kings put Terrence Williams on him for the last 7 or so minutes of the game he disappeared, though.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't think he'll be a star but he should stick around in the league.

Sactown
03-25-2012, 03:28 PM
??

#1 thing that has impressed me other than his shot has been his lateral quickness and toughness on D. Still has a lot of room to grow, but he's a very promising defender. He can guard most 2/3's. The ones he can't are basically the same ones nobody outside of Iggy and Lebron can guard.

??? He's quick, but he was getting burned by a 35 year old washed up John Salmons consistently. He went for his sub-par fakes.. Even Kevin Martin is quick...

DerekRE_3
03-25-2012, 03:31 PM
??? He's quick, but he was getting burned by a 35 year old washed up John Salmons consistently. He went for his sub-par fakes.. Even Kevin Martin is quick...

Salmons is 32, and Kevin Martin is kind of known for his quickness....His problem is he's not strong.

From what I've heard, Thompson is a decent defender, especially for a rookie.

tredigs
03-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Rush spent more time on Salmons than anyone. And Klay was definitely a + defender last night, getting steals/blocking shots. Just active. That's more than I can say for half the SF's in the league. Holding opponents to a 13.6 PER also. On a team without a legit center and a weak defender at PF (to save him when he gets burnt) that's damn impressive for a rookie.

lvlheaded
03-25-2012, 03:50 PM
I kind of hate the Warriors. They always take the player I want the Knicks to get. Steph Curry and Klay :mad:

I think Klay is gonna be legit. I remember pre draft people saying this kid has Reggie Miller shooting touch. He's showing it

Monta is beast
03-25-2012, 03:56 PM
He's been getting to the line allot since starting though. I think he will start to pull more boards as he gains expierience. He is usually the one making the close-outs, so he puts himself out of position for rebounds.

Run&Gun
03-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Right now I'd say he's an average overall defender could develop to being a good defender, at the 2 he can really use his length to closeout and shuffles his feet well, still has lapses on defense but it's expected of a rookie and it isn't due to lack of effort usually experience.

I'd say he's going to be ok, he def. won't be a liability but your not going to be putting him on the best player on the opposing team every night.

GSRaider
03-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Seriously? Klay is a much better defender than Martin... Klay is actually a pretty good defender, who has shown flashes of being a consistent defender.

Anyway, Klay is legit and I think he's only going to get better...

Warriors got a special young player.

BKLYNpigeon
03-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Klay could play, looks like he will be a player in this league. He will get a solid playing time as a rookie, hopefully get can develop his skills. He's a great spot up shooter and like to fight through screens and pull up. His game reminds me of Ray Allen.

COOLbeans
03-25-2012, 04:19 PM
I think klays experience growing up around Mychal Thompson and the likes of Kobe Bryant shouldn't be overlooked.

The guy can flat out play, and is a major reason as to why the more intelligent Golden State fans were okay with seeing Monta go. he's stronger than he looks, and he moves well without the ball.

Thompsons a very good defender for a rookie, and he has an extremely high IQ, and a **** load of confidence. Honestly, the guy looks like he wants to be a star and he appears to want to get better every game.

waveycrockett
03-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Klay could play, looks like he will be a player in this league. He will get a solid playing time as a rookie, hopefully get can develop his skills. He's a great spot up shooter and like to fight through screens and pull up. His game reminds me of Ray Allen.

Hope your joking. Ray Allen on the Bucks was 10 times more athletic and is a tough as nails defender. Klay is a great shooter with a smooth offensive game but he has nothing else on Ray Allen sorry. Don't compare that kid to one of the best of a generation just dont.

beasted86
03-25-2012, 04:39 PM

No.... I said Klay Thompson was somewhat irrelevant.

Since some of you guys lack common sense and understanding, here is a really simple tool to help you guys along.

Klay Thompson @ Yahoo Sports:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4892

You see to the right of the page where it shows how the player stacks up against the league average and the league leader? If the player is almost a clone of the league average (or below it) in all 4 of the categories then he probably doesn't deserve a dedicated thread in the NBA forum. Pretty simple, but you know what... you're right. I'm just mad it's not about MIA, NYK or LAL.

b@llhog24
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Hope your joking. Ray Allen on the Bucks was 10 times more athletic and is a tough as nails defender. Klay is a great shooter with a smooth offensive game but he has nothing else on Ray Allen sorry. Don't compare that kid to one of the best of a generation just dont.

I think that is what he's comparing.

tredigs
03-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Worth mentioning that Klay shoots 88% from the line and 44% from three. That's Steph Curry/Nash/Ray Allen territory.

We'll see if he can keep it up, but his college numbers indicate he could.

kjoke
03-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Since some of you guys lack common sense and understanding, here is a really simple tool to help you guys along.

You see to the right of the page where it shows how the player stacks up against the league average and the league leader? If the player is almost a clone of the league average (or below it) in all 4 of the categories then he probably doesn't deserve a dedicated thread in the NBA forum. Pretty simple, but you know what... you're right. I'm just mad it's not about MIA, NYK or LAL.

He's averaging 17 points in the month of March for a rookie :shrug: I think that deserves recognition. Plus he just put up 30 against the Kings and I wanted to know more about the kid.

Monta is beast
03-25-2012, 05:19 PM
It's rare that a wing player comes into the league and is a good defender, so I think he can develope into a really good defender.

jp611
03-25-2012, 05:35 PM
He has the size to be a good defender, I thought that was one of his positives coming into the draft... I bet he will be a good defender under Jackson

waveycrockett
03-25-2012, 05:51 PM
It's rare that a wing player comes into the league and is a good defender, so I think he can develope into a really good defender.

good wing defenders usually come into the league good wing defenders. See Iman Shumpert and Chris Singleton. At best Klay Thompson might be a decent defender.

Monta is beast
03-25-2012, 06:07 PM
good wing defenders usually come into the league good wing defenders. See Iman Shumpert and Chris Singleton. At best Klay Thompson might be a decent defender.

He' already a good defender. Why wouldn't he improve. He has to add some weight, and if he does, I think he can be a great defender.

sunsfan88
03-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Not better than the season Markieff Morris is having...

waveycrockett
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
He' already a good defender. Why wouldn't he improve. He has to add some weight, and if he does, I think he can be a great defender.

He has a DRtg of 110. That mean he allows 110 points per 100 possessions. On what planet is that considered good? Dude is a crap defender.

Monta is beast
03-25-2012, 08:30 PM
He has a DRtg of 110. That mean he allows 110 points per 100 possessions. On what planet is that considered good? Dude is a crap defender.

Alright bro, cause it's not like I haven't watched every single game he's played in this season. But your probably right.

:facepalm:

jp611
03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
DRtg is a terrible stat... Boozer has like one of the best DRtg's in the league because his team is awesome on defense

Slimsim
03-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Iman shump ?

waveycrockett
03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Alright bro, cause it's not like I haven't watched every single game he's played in this season. But your probably right.

Yes because the opinion of a warriors fans trumps that of an objective advanced stat.

Ezio
03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Iman shump ?

Jimmy Butler ?

b@llhog24
03-25-2012, 10:41 PM
I won't claim to have an understanding of ABRmetrics like some of the other posters on this site but you're probably using this stat wrong. Drtg is influenced by the players that he shares court-time with, and since the only decent defenders on the Warriors of the top of my head are Dorrel and Beidris his drtg is scewed.

Iman shump ?

He's an exception to the rule.

GrandDaddyPurp
03-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Championship.

Sadds The Gr8
03-25-2012, 10:58 PM

he's a rookie that has played well since Monta got traded and the OP wanted to get opinions on the player. Like someone mentioned, he's averaging 17 ppg this month. no **** his per game stats were low he played behind a player who is a yearly leader in mins played and averaged under 20 mins :facepalm:

Literally every thread about a lesser known player or team that's made you come in and complain about it being irrelevant. if u don't like it then don't watch.

Monta is beast
03-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Yes because the opinion of a warriors fans trumps that of an objective advanced stat.

And by the way, Gerald Wallace one of the best defenders in the game, had a DRTG of 107 last season. And I would like to consider myself more than a knowlegable fan, and I know a good defender when I see one. Thompson has rookie mistakes, but overall he is a good defender. This kid is something special. He has a perfect stroke, he's a great free throw shooter, can get to the rime, and is a good passer coming off of screens. He has all the tools to become a great player, if he has a strong work ethic, I believe he will be an all-star type player.

waveycrockett
03-26-2012, 01:11 AM
And by the way, Gerald Wallace one of the best defenders in the game, had a DRTG of 107 last season. And I would like to consider myself more than a knowlegable fan, and I know a good defender when I see one. Thompson has rookie mistakes, but overall he is a good defender. This kid is something special. He has a perfect stroke, he's a great free throw shooter, can get to the rime, and is a good passer coming off of screens. He has all the tools to become a great player, if he has a strong work ethic, I believe he will be an all-star type player.

I'll preface this by saying Thompson is one of my favorite rookies right now, I picked him as a fantasy sleeper and it's paying off, he has a serious offensive game. So does Kevin Martin(when healthy) which is why I don't understand why Warriors fans get so upset with the comparison. I definitely think Thompson has a slightly higher upside than Martin and a better feel for the game. With that said your talking out your rear about his defense. It's bad.

Gerald Wallace defensively had a subpar season for himself last year. Reputation precedes reality in the case of most NBA players when it comes to defense. Alot of guys like Gerald Wallace and Raja Bell will be called great defenders every year until they retire because they had that rep whether it's true or not. Now your trying to apply that label to Thompson when its BS. Kevin Martin career 111 Drtg. Thats where Thompson is at right now. Don't tell me he is going to be a good defender when he keeps terrible company like that.

tredigs
03-26-2012, 01:38 AM
I'll preface this by saying Thompson is one of my favorite rookies right now, I picked him as a fantasy sleeper and it's paying off, he has a serious offensive game. So does Kevin Martin(when healthy) which is why I don't understand why Warriors fans get so upset with the comparison. I definitely think Thompson has a slightly higher upside than Martin and a better feel for the game. With that said your talking out your rear about his defense. It's bad.

Gerald Wallace defensively had a subpar season for himself last year. Reputation precedes reality in the case of most NBA players when it comes to defense. Alot of guys like Gerald Wallace and Raja Bell will be called great defenders every year until they retire because they had that rep whether it's true or not. Now your trying to apply that label to Thompson when its BS. Kevin Martin career 111 Drtg. Thats where Thompson is at right now. Don't tell me he is going to be a good defender when he keeps terrible company like that.

Defensive Rating is predominantly a team stat.

Ex:
Kobe in 2003/04 had a 102 D. Rating
Kobe in 2004/05 had a 111 D. Rating

Why the difference? Shaquille O Neal was not there.

tredigs
03-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Another example: Shane Battier is tied for his best D. Rating of his career this season at 102. Same as his prime. Is 11/12 Carlos Boozer a better defender than prime Battier? I mean his D. Rating is 96...

dayreezy
03-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Klay ("his mama name him Clay, Ima call him Clay") Thompson gets a :clap: and so does Jenkins... A solid starter on a team needing a PG... so im curious how next season will work out......

dayreezy
03-26-2012, 02:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZywE0AT1qY

CityofTreez
03-26-2012, 02:02 AM
I love this kid.

I wish we drafted him over that punk Jimmer.

DerekRE_3
03-26-2012, 02:05 AM
I love this kid.

I wish we drafted him over that punk Jimmer.

Klay and Isaiah: :drool:

waveycrockett
03-26-2012, 02:05 AM
Defensive Rating is predominantly a team stat.

Ex:
Kobe in 2003/04 had a 102 D. Rating
Kobe in 2004/05 had a 111 D. Rating

Why the difference? Shaquille O Neal was not there.

Or Kobe just didn't give a crap on the defensive end because his team needed 40 a night from him to win...

Like I said defense isn't something like scoring that constetnly carries on from season to season but stupid people and writer/homers assume it does. Things like hustle, coaching and conditioning play into it. The fact that KOBE had to do EVERYTHING on the offensive end took away from him his defense.

tredigs
03-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Or Kobe just didn't give a crap on the defensive end because his team needed 40 a night from him to win...

Like I said defense isn't something like scoring that constetnly carries on from season to season but stupid people and writer/homers assume it does. Things like hustle, coaching and conditioning play into it. The fact that KOBE had to do EVERYTHING on the offensive end took away from him his defense.

I disagree - and it was just one example. What I stated wasn't an opinion, it's a fact...

Defensive Rating is predominantly based on your team defense. Monster impact defensive players have the capability of anchoring down the defensive ratings of those around them, but generally it takes the entire group/coach to alter it.

D. Wade playing the best D of his career this year? D Rating would say so...

The boozer example I showed you is indefensible. I could break down exactly how defensive rating is calculated and draw it out for you, but it takes more effort than I have.

waveycrockett
03-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Another example: Shane Battier is tied for his best D. Rating of his career this season at 102. Same as his prime. Is 11/12 Carlos Boozer a better defender than prime Battier? I mean his D. Rating is 96...

Ok your comparing the rating of a guy who defends in the post to one who defends on the perimeter. If you cannot see the stupidity in that I can't help you. Shane Battier is ONLY asked to defend on Miami, his jobe is easier now, he plays alot less minutes so he gives up less points and he was never an athletic player to begin with like Bruce Bowen. He relied on long arms and great positioning and timing. HIs age has nothing to do with that.

waveycrockett
03-26-2012, 02:13 AM
I disagree - and it was just one example. What I stated wasn't an opinion, it's a fact...

Defensive Rating is predominantly based on your team defense.

If you think Kobe was going to be able to pick up Shaq's scoring load AND be the same great defender he was than your not worth arguing with.

CityofTreez
03-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Klay and Isaiah: :drool:

Yeah. I hate Jimmer.

MJ-BULLS
03-26-2012, 02:15 AM
I like clay.

tredigs
03-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Ok your comparing the rating of a guy who defends in the post to one who defends on the perimeter. If you cannot see the stupidity in that I can't help you. Shane Battier is ONLY asked to defend on Miami, his jobe is easier now, he plays alot less minutes so he gives up less points and he was never an athletic player to begin with like Bruce Bowen. He relied on long arms and great positioning and timing. HIs age has nothing to do with that.

Do you even know how the stat is calculated? Do you know why this is a difference? I can tell you with 100% certainty that you don't.

On top of that, my point flew right over your head. The bottom line is that Boozers D rating is 6 points lower now on Chicago than it ever was in Utah. The reason for that is that the team D is far better. Opponents PER versus Boozer is higher than the league average (as it always was), but his D. Rating is top 5 in the NBA.

Are you starting to get it yet? ...

b@llhog24
03-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Do you even know how the stat is calculated? Do you know why this is a difference? I can tell you with 100% certainty that you don't.

On top of that, my point flew right over your head. The bottom line is that Boozers D rating is 6 points lower now on Chicago than it ever was in Utah. The reason for that is that the team D is far better. Opponents PER versus Boozer is higher than the league average (as it always was), but his D. Rating is top 5 in the NBA.

He seems to be in the middle of the whole (I usually watch the games but I want to use an advance stat that i don't know about) position.

waveycrockett
03-26-2012, 02:29 AM

I see your point and OBVIOUSLY teammates have some affect on the year to year defensive rating. For example Kevin Love and Amare stoudemire have had a huge jump in defensive rating because their teammates have allowed them to move into natural PF position instead of being undersized centers. Opponents points per 100 possessions are down they are guarding guys there size. Boozer had to play the best guys in the front court in Utah where as Noah does that now in Chicago but to say he hasn't improved as a defender under Thibs is silly and it reflects in his Drtg.

waveycrockett
03-26-2012, 02:30 AM
He seems to be in the middle of the whole (I usually watch the games but I want to use an advance stat that i don't know about) position.

DPER is good stat. I think Drtg is more accurate. Efficiency stats can get skewed on defense. Example a player guys up 8 points, his guy is 4 for 8. He Will have worse DPER than someone who gave up 16 for on 4 for 10 shooting.

b@llhog24
03-26-2012, 02:44 AM
DPER is good stat. I think Drtg is more accurate. Efficiency stats can get skewed on defense. Example a player guys up 8 points, his guy is 4 for 8. He Will have worse DPER than someone who gave up 16 for on 4 for 10 shooting.

Well that's a good thing that you think it is a good stat, but your whole point got messed up when you said Drtg is a better stat to gauge defensive worth. Regardless you are trying to evalute an indivual defender, how does Drtg (which is heavily influenced by your team which in this case is the Warriors which is a team filled with ***** defenders) supposed to used as a definitive measure of Klay's defensive prowess? I personally don't think the dude is a good defender either I just have an issue with you using Drtg as the definitive argument that he isn't.

tredigs
03-26-2012, 02:48 AM
I see your point and OBVIOUSLY teammates have some affect on the year to year defensive rating. For example Kevin Love and Amare stoudemire have had a huge jump in defensive rating because their teammates have allowed them to move into natural PF position instead of being undersized centers. Opponents points per 100 possessions are down they are guarding guys there size. Boozer had to play the best guys in the front court in Utah where as Noah does that now in Chicago but to say he hasn't improved as a defender under Thibs is silly and it reflects in his Drtg.

Natural PF position or not (actually a good point on Boozer), there's no defending how or why he would have a top 5 D. Rating in the league. He's not a top 50 defender. Not a top 15 post defender. And as such you have to throw it out as a personal stat to evaluate a players defense. Can you factor it in - with heavy context? Sure. But there are far better D. stats to look at, and there still aren't many fantastic D stats... just too hard to measure/too many variables.

And your point on Kobe doesn't hold much water either (that he was worse off because he had to do so much more offensively). Fact of the matter is that his Usage% were not much different in the couple of seasons pre Shaq as they were that 04/05 year when it shot up to 111. On top of that, in 05/06 he DID shoulder all of the offense and had by far the highest USG% of his career (the year he took 28 shots a game and put up 35). But his D. Rating dropped 6 points to 105.

Monta is beast
03-26-2012, 02:50 AM
DRTG is a team stat.

DerekRE_3
03-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Synergy

tredigs
03-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Definitely. Hell even Iguodala had a 109 D. rating 2 years ago. Wasn't until the team bought in and they became the #1 defense in the NBA this season that it plummeted to an elite level 96.

Yeah Derek - Synergy's the best I know, and even there - it's not complete.

iFYouSeekAmy
03-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Yeah. I hate Jimmer.

how can you hate on Jimmer?

now that all the hype is gone, i really have no idea. Seriously, why?

49warriors
03-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Smbdy need a woman in they life....
Try that drtg....

asandhu23
03-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Smbdy need a woman in they life....
Try that drtg....

someone needs to get the **** out of the ghetto. :D

DerekRE_3
03-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Definitely. Hell even Iguodala had a 109 D. rating 2 years ago. Wasn't until the team bought in and they became the #1 defense in the NBA this season that it plummeted to an elite level 96.

Yeah Derek - Synergy's the best I know, and even there - it's not complete.

No statistic will ever be complete. You always have to use them in addition to what you see on the court.

1-800-STFU
03-26-2012, 12:09 PM
He has been nice filling in for Kevin Martin on my fantasy team who was a tremendous disappointment

Birdmannn
03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Good player going to be enjoyable watching him improve.(Thompson)
Jimmer has been a disappointment I expected to see him play better.

lol, please
03-26-2012, 01:58 PM

Yes because the opinion of a warriors fans trumps that of an objective advanced stat.if your are looking at his statistics and haven't watched all the games then you sound awfully foolish right now.

lol, please
03-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Championship.next year.

Monta is beast
03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
^lol