PDA

View Full Version : Players that could be productive (maybe even stars) on a different team

fadedmario
03-24-2012, 08:07 PM
List any players in the NBA, that if they were on a different team and had an opportunity, could be legit stars or at the very least, productive starters.

Baller1
03-24-2012, 08:11 PM
James Harden would be the third/fourth best SG in all of basketball behind Kobe, Manu, and Wade if he were on a team like Sacremento, Detroit, Charlotte, Toronto (etc.) where he would be the best player on the team.

theheatles
03-24-2012, 08:20 PM
lol this is such a broad question, but I guess I'd like to see Ray Allen and Andre Iguodala on the Magic with Dwight

fadedmario
03-24-2012, 08:25 PM
lol this is such a broad question, but I guess I'd like to see Ray Allen and Andre Iguodala on the Magic with Dwight

Think diamond in the rough (Jeremy Lin. Ramon Sessions), my pick is Jerryd Bayless. Dude was straight BEASTING before Jose Calderon came back from injury.

Baller1
03-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Think diamond in the rough (Jeremy Lin. Ramon Sessions), my pick is Jerryd Bayless. Dude was straight BEASTING before Jose Calderon came back from injury.

I actually wanted Seattle to draft him, and was furious when we took Westy over Bayless and Gordon. Thank god I'm not a GM.

PacersForLife
03-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Tyler Hansbrough comes to mind. He has fallen off a lot since he lost his starting job to David West. If Tyler started for a bad team he could average around 15-17 ppg I believe.

fadedmario
03-24-2012, 08:33 PM
I actually wanted Seattle to draft him, and was furious when we took Westy over Bayless and Gordon. Thank god I'm not a GM.

I don't think anyone could have predicting Westbrook. I remember the night he was drafted, thinking WTF... I was wrong about him too.

fadedmario
03-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Gerald Green, Evan Turner (don't think Philly is the right system for him)

Green_Monster
03-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Greg Stiemsma, John Lucas III come to mind for me.

ManRam
03-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Westbrook!

He's be Derrick Rose if he didn't have Durant!

The Harden pick is an obvious one. He's too talented to play the role he is. He'd be the second best player on a lot of team.

Mr_Amaziing
03-24-2012, 09:09 PM
James Harden

willabeast77
03-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Josh Smith, Michael Beasley

LTBaByyy
03-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Monta Ellis on the Bucks (defense team)

This year playoffs or next year will be his break out in the NBa as an All star (credibility)

Baller1
03-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Westbrook!

He's be Derrick Rose if he didn't have Durant!

The Harden pick is an obvious one. He's too talented to play the role he is. He'd be the second best player on a lot of team.

I got a lot of backlash over the past few years saying that Harden is the best guard from that draft, but I feel like people are finally starting to see that I MAY have been right all this time. Thoughts?

You too Digs, Hawkeye, Chronz... Thoughts?

ManRam
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
I got a lot of backlash over the past few years saying that Harden is the best guard from that draft, but I feel like people are finally starting to see that I MAY have been right all this time. Thoughts?

I follow the A10, Pac-12 and SEC in basketball a good amount...not so much the other conferences. I really liked Harden in college...and advocated for him heavily. Memphis messed up, period. Thabeet was a wrong pick then, and obviously now in hindsight that's obvious. I'll leave it at that.

I hate Blake, but there's no way LAC could have justified taking Harden of him...and I won't tell them they're wrong from doing so.

No one in that draft will ever be the #1 option on a championship (or even championship caliber) team...but Harden is easily the second best player in that draft. OKC wins again in the draft!

Harden is an amazing player...and could easily be the second best player on a really great team...

Best guard in the draft? Well, he was drafted as such, so you got the last laugh. And right now, it looks like you very well could be right.

I still have high hopes for Evans...but we'll see. Holiday and Lawson should have great careers too...especially Holiday...another fave of mine. If only DeRozan could shoot....

Fresno
03-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Carmelo Anthony - Portland, Detroit, Charlotte, Washington, Golden State, LA Clippers, Houston, & New Orleans

He'd be back to averaging 25+ PPG 7+ RPG on either of those teams.

heattiltheend94
03-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Personally I feel Hansbrough and Taj Gibson could be awesome.

ManRam
03-24-2012, 09:37 PM
What system does Hansbrough have to be in to be good?

Sure, he only gets 20-25 minutes a game...but he's horrendous offensively. He's a great hustle player, but that's it. What system does he excel in?

Fresno
03-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Tyreke Evans is still the best Guard from that draft, IMO.

The difference with Harden & Evans is the exact reason why OKC took Harden over Evans, he fits perfectly for OKC with his ability to hit the 3.

On the other hand, Evans is a ball dominant scoring guard who can get to the basket and finish almost effortlessly. He would be among the league's leading scorers if he had a consistent jumpshot each game.

Fresno
03-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Sure, he only gets 20-25 minutes a game...but he's horrendous offensively. He's a great hustle player, but that's it. What system does he excel in?

He excels in college basketball.

Maybe he could get some hustle points on Charlotte like DJ White has been doing.

VinceCarter
03-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Eric Bledsoe.

Baller1
03-24-2012, 09:45 PM
I follow the A10, Pac-12 and SEC in basketball a good amount...not so much the other conferences. I really liked Harden in college...and advocated for him heavily. Memphis messed up, period. Thabeet was a wrong pick then, and obviously now in hindsight that's obvious. I'll leave it at that.

I hate Blake, but there's no way LAC could have justified taking Harden of him...and I won't tell them they're wrong from doing so.

No one in that draft will ever be the #1 option on a championship (or even championship caliber) team...but Harden is easily the second best player in that draft. OKC wins again in the draft!

Harden is an amazing player...and could easily be the second best player on a really great team...

Best guard in the draft? Well, he was drafted as such, so you got the last laugh. And right now, it looks like you very well could be right.

I still have high hopes for Evans...but we'll see. Holiday and Lawson should have great careers too...especially Holiday...another fave of mine. If only DeRozan could shoot....

Yeah, the only reason I like to bring this up is because everyone was so quick to jump on the Curry, Evans, Jennings bandwagons (I'm looking at you Digs ;)).

I have said it all along, and I whole heatedly believe it... Tyreke is overrated. Epitomizes "empty stats", in my opinion.

Side note: I hate Blake too, cheers.

Baller1
03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Tyreke Evans is still the best Guard from that draft, IMO.

The difference with Harden & Evans is the exact reason why OKC took Harden over Evans, he fits perfectly for OKC with his ability to hit the 3.

On the other hand, Evans is a ball dominant scoring guard who can get to the basket and finish almost effortlessly. He would be among the league's leading scorers if he had a consistent jumpshot each game.

Like I just said in the previous post, he's an overrated player in my opinion.

ManRam
03-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah, the only reason I like to bring this up is because everyone was so quick to jump on the Curry, Evans, Jennings bandwagons (I'm looking at you Digs ;)).

I have said it all along, and I whole heatedly believe it... Tyreke is overrated. Optimizes "empty stats", in my opinion.

Side note: I hate Blake too, cheers.

Evans I still really like, and think he still has the ability. I was never high on Jennings, and was skeptical of Curry...being that he's tiny and wasn't playing the best of competition in college. I liked Holiday more than Jennings and Curry for sure. DeRozan too. DeRozan just has no range...otherwise he'd potentially have a great all-around game.

ChongInc.
03-24-2012, 10:00 PM
calderon. could you imagine the assist numbers he'd put up if he had some outside shooting, an inside presence, or an offensive scheme in place?

tr3ymill3r
03-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Goran Dragic and Courtney Lee of Houston have really produced since Lowry and Martin have been injured.

lavilevi23
03-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Mike Miller James Jones Eddy Curry

Chronz
03-24-2012, 10:18 PM

You deserved the backlash in year one but I think everyone knew he was the safe pick to develop into a winning player. I was predicting a break out last year, but I was half a season too early. Hes been the best since then and its unlikely to change.

fadedmario
03-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Sometimes I wonder how Rodney Stuckey would perform in a more up-tempo offense. Pistons are one of the slowest teams in the league as far as tempo goes. Stuckey might beast playing somewhere else.

Fresno
03-24-2012, 10:37 PM

What makes him overrated?

I've never seen him rated highly, even during his Rookie of the Year season.

Its unfortunate he'll be listed in the same company as Oscar, Jordan, & LeBron for that season tho.

Sactown
03-24-2012, 10:41 PM

Tyreke Evans is a defensive monster I've seen him effectively guard positions 1-4 He's versatility will always give him the edge over Harden, if he develops a jump-shot game over.

Although whoever develops the talent in OKC deserves the MVP, Heisman, and the Cy Young

Raph12
03-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Obvious choice has got to be Harden, the kid is a straight up beast... Reminds me of Manu, I just hope he gets the chance to really meet his potential and not just be a 6th man for the rest of his career.

I'd love to see John Wall in a different uniform, he has a lot of potential, just doesn't seem to be motivated on that Wizards roster.

ManRam
03-24-2012, 10:49 PM
I like the John Wall mention too. He's severely being held back by his team.

You can blame him for that, since he's a PG and everything thinks PGs are all that matter...but I don't. He's an amazing talent, and with a good cast he'd be elite.

Hellcrooner
03-24-2012, 10:57 PM
virtually every non scoring option that is starting out there and half of the bench players.

its just a matter of luck on draft day and falling in the apropiate place..

PacersForLife
03-24-2012, 11:09 PM

Well last year he had quite a few good games and had quite a few 20 point games as a starter for the Pacers, also had a 30 point game. In the preseason he looked like he was going to build off of that because he scored 20+ in both games. If he is a starter on a bad team he could be one of the top scorers..

Gram
03-24-2012, 11:53 PM
James Harden would be the third/fourth best SG in all of basketball behind Kobe, Manu, and Wade if he were on a team like Sacremento, Detroit, Charlotte, Toronto (etc.) where he would be the best player on the team.

Knight and Harden in the backcourt. :drool:

Yanks All Day
03-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Every time he gets the chance to start, JJ Redick steps up and produces. Playing behind Jason Richardson and having shooters like Ryan Anderson and Jameer Nelson take away shots that he is probably better suited to take. He could legitimately average 15-17 points per game on 45% from 3 is he was given more shots. That's more than suitable for a 6th man on a contender.

Gram
03-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Eric Bledsoe.

This. Roddy Beaubois as well.

Gram
03-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Mike Miller James Jones Eddy Curry

:laugh:

Lakers4ItAll
03-25-2012, 01:27 AM
I wonder what Bynum would average being the #1 option on a bad team....

MJ-BULLS
03-25-2012, 01:50 AM

Lucas. :laugh2:

Baller1
03-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Tyreke Evans is a defensive monster I've seen him effectively guard positions 1-4 He's versatility will always give him the edge over Harden, if he develops a jump-shot game over.

Although whoever develops the talent in OKC deserves the MVP, Heisman, and the Cy Young

Valiant effort at baiting.

Harden actually deserves the 6th man award, and possibly the MIP award; Durant, meanwhile, is Lebron's only competition for the MVP award this season (despite Lebron being the most deserving at this point).

UPRock
03-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Chris Bosh.

Hellcrooner
03-25-2012, 03:41 AM
I wonder what Bynum would average being the #1 option on a bad team....

around 19-21 ppg if the team is a 30 win team.

22-25 if its a 15 win team.

smiddy012
03-25-2012, 04:13 AM

lol when I saw this thread I wanted to post JL3... but just as a ********, funny joke... and I'm a Bulls fan...

5ass
03-25-2012, 04:45 AM
Marc Gasol, Dragic, Eric Maynor, Redick, Paul George are some examples.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Just pair a bunch of high flyers or shooter with Nash and they'll turn into a productive player.

ichitownclowni
03-25-2012, 05:43 AM
Evan Turner

mkdo
03-25-2012, 06:38 AM
nobody said mayo?

AsiandudePH
03-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Dragic!

blom85
03-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Anthony Randolph is a deep diamond in the rough...

blom85
03-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Marc Gasol, Dragic, Eric Maynor, Redick, Paul George are some examples.

these are horrible examples, some of them are already productive players

KnicksorBust
03-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Obvious choice has got to be Harden, the kid is a straight up beast... Reminds me of Manu, I just hope he gets the chance to really meet his potential and not just be a 6th man for the rest of his career.

I'd love to see John Wall in a different uniform, he has a lot of potential, just doesn't seem to be motivated on that Wizards roster.

These were the two that immediately came to mind.

If we're looking for deeper sleepers, the Bobcats have a lot of great young talent. If you put DJ Augustin on the Lakers (prior to Sessions), or Henderson on the Magic, we'd think of them totally differently. Biyombo and Mullens have some upside as well.

BSardogan
03-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Chalmers. He's a really decent guard, good shooter from outside and as well as from inside. He just hasn't got great stats or a lot of credit when the only time he gets the ball is when LBJ can't let it fly in the fourth or DWade finds him open for three. I'd see him becoming a legimate guard that could average 15pts/8 assists on a weak team where he can sort of run the offense though. Not in any way close to being a star, but he can do better than being the 4th man on a team.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2012, 10:18 AM

he's probably already is the 4th best SG haha. But sure, if given 38 mpg and the lead option role, his numbers would look like 24-6-5 on pretty damn good efficiency.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Josh Smith, Michael Beasley

Beasley was given the #1 option for the Wolves last year. He didn't thrive in the slightest.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2012, 10:27 AM

so far, Harden is the best guard in that draft. Tyreke has the athletic ability, as does DeRozan, but they have not shown any improvement from their previous seasons, and both struggle to be consistent shooters. I also think Westbrook benefits from being in the better situation, team, and system, but that doesn't matter when you simply ask who is better.

Watching him at ASU, I didn't think he had this potential. I was a bit surprised with how high he went in the draft.

By the way, Rubio was in that draft. I want to see where he ranks amongst guards in 2 years from that draft.

mdm692
03-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Dragic
Taj gibson
Evan turner
Oj mayo
Nick young(in the suns)
Harden

IndyRealist
03-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't think anyone could have predicting Westbrook. I remember the night he was drafted, thinking WTF... I was wrong about him too.

I think the Pacers had #11 that year, and I was thinking that Westbrook would be a steal at #11.

danniboi168
03-25-2012, 11:55 AM
James harden, oj mayo

Raidaz4Life
03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised not a whole lot of love for Collison. I think his play in NOH clearly proved he can be a very good player in the right system.... aka not Indiana.

Baller1
03-25-2012, 03:23 PM
so far, Harden is the best guard in that draft. Tyreke has the athletic ability, as does DeRozan, but they have not shown any improvement from their previous seasons, and both struggle to be consistent shooters. I also think Westbrook benefits from being in the better situation, team, and system, but that doesn't matter when you simply ask who is better.

Watching him at ASU, I didn't think he had this potential. I was a bit surprised with how high he went in the draft.

By the way, Rubio was in that draft. I want to see where he ranks amongst guards in 2 years from that draft.

Ahhhh, totally forgot about Rubio. I'd actually take him over 'Reke as well.

Baller1
03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
James harden, oj mayo

No way for Mayo in my opinion. I haven't liked him as a player since his year at USC.

DerekRE_3
03-25-2012, 03:29 PM
One guy who wouldn't be a star by any means, but would be considered one of the best third bigs in the league would be Jason Thompson. He doesn't get a lot of attention because he plays for the Kings, but I love how he plays.

Gives 100% effort every play, has good athleticism, runs the floor very well, has a much improved post game, and is a pretty decent passer and ball handler for his size. His rebounding ability, especially on the offensive end, is very good.

He'd be the first big off the bench on a contender and his ability to play the 4 and the 5 is very valuable.

SeoulBeatz
03-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Can only imagine what Evan Turner could do on a team where he actually had plays run for him.

Ironman5219
03-25-2012, 04:22 PM
It really depends on the market. Big market teams like NY, Miami, LA, or Boston will always have over hyped players... Good Players like Harden, Milsap, or Ellis on a big market team would instantlly be hailed as stars, but since they are in places without a lot of media attention they go under the radar and the "experts" keep wondering why the big market teams get beat by them week after week.

ManningToTyree
03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
JR Smith could score 20 a night on a **** team

heyman321
03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Jose Calderon would average 13 assists a game if he was on the Lakers.

PacersForLife
03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm surprised not a whole lot of love for Collison. I think his play in NOH clearly proved he can be a very good player in the right system.... aka not Indiana.

True, we need a straight up facilitator. New Orleans' offense was basically perfect for him.

Raidaz4Life
03-25-2012, 05:05 PM
True, we need a straight up facilitator. New Orleans' offense was basically perfect for him.

Really? I felt a player like Curry would be a better fit in your guy's system than a straight facilitator like Rondo. Don't you guys play in a system that stresses team facilitation rather than PG facilitation?

5ass
03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
JR Smith could score 20 a night on a **** team

doesnt he play for the knicks? lol jk

PacersForLife
03-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Really? I felt a player like Curry would be a better fit in your guy's system than a straight facilitator like Rondo. Don't you guys play in a system that stresses team facilitation rather than PG facilitation?

The Pacers are last in assists in the whole league lol. Collison is more of a scoring point guard, or at least he has been ever since he got to Indiana.

VCaintdead17
03-25-2012, 05:44 PM
The Pacers are last in assists in the whole league lol. Collison is more of a scoring point guard, or at least he has been ever since he got to Indiana.

Collison's assists numbers would be MUCH higher if we didn't have one of the worst team FG% in the league. We seriously can't shoot for ****. DC sets our players up just fine, they just don't deliver on their end.

PacersForLife
03-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Collison's assists numbers would be MUCH higher if we didn't have one of the worst team FG% in the league. We seriously can't shoot for ****. DC sets our players up just fine, they just don't deliver on their end.

True, we have been really low in assists the past few years though, as a team.

CudiOnMyiPod
03-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Roddy Beaubois would easily average 20 in Golden State.

MonroeFAN
03-25-2012, 06:13 PM

With all due respect, Harden is a great player... and there is no doubt he would benefit greatly from more looks. But he's not better (for Detroit) than Greg Monroe.

I think it's a fine answer though, and have a difficult time disagreeing with the rest of the teams listed.

alencp3
03-25-2012, 06:27 PM

You really do

alencp3
03-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Other then the obvious guys you people mentioned i think Enes Kanter can average 15/10 on a team with average froncourt

He is better than Pekovic, and look what Pek did after they gave him playing time

Kanter hasnt played more than 25 minutes EVER

Baller1
03-25-2012, 06:52 PM
With all due respect, Harden is a great player... and there is no doubt he would benefit greatly from more looks. But he's not better (for Detroit) than Greg Monroe.

I think it's a fine answer though, and have a difficult time disagreeing with the rest of the teams listed.

Perhaps I said it incorrectly or something, but I didn't mean for it to sound like a shot at Monroe. I was just thinking about teams that could use a go to scorer/playmaker. Harden would be able to average 23+ on a team like Detroit.

sunsfan88
03-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Brian Scalabrine.

If he was on a team like Philly or OKC, a team that lacks inside scoring he would be putting up 25+ a game.

fadedmario
03-25-2012, 07:22 PM
haha

Furymaker
03-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Eric Gordon healthy is fourth best SG in league , last year he was beasting as second option behind Blake , so just him healthy and you have a star .
Harden , Wall , Turner are good choices as well .

tredigs
03-25-2012, 07:43 PM

I've said it before. There are 10 teams or so that Harden could put up ~ 25/5/5 and be their best player if that was his role. And he could maintain solid efficiency. The guy puts up 17 on 10 FGA's a game.

Of that group he's the best right now, but a healthy Curry has a case over him. Unfortunately that's a major question mark for him right now and takes him out of the running, but I think he has the possibility to go down as a top 3-4 shooter ever for a marquee player.

I could talk about Harden's game and all the things I like about it for a while though. He's fantastic.

OA SLAY
03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Carmelo Anthony

mdm692
03-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Jose Calderon would average 13 assists a game if he was on the Lakers.

nash would average 15apg on the knicks lol.

VCaintdead17
03-25-2012, 08:38 PM
True, we have been really low in assists the past few years though, as a team.

Having TJ Ford as your starting point guard three straight years doesn't help

iliketurtles24
03-25-2012, 08:53 PM
anthony randolph

Baller1
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I've said it before. There are 10 teams or so that Harden could put up ~ 25/5/5 and be their best player if that was his role. And he could maintain solid efficiency. The guy puts up 17 on 10 FGA's a game.

Of that group he's the best right now, but a healthy Curry has a case over him. Unfortunately that's a major question mark for him right now and takes him out of the running, but I think he has the possibility to go down as a top 3-4 shooter ever for a marquee player.

I could talk about Harden's game and all the things I like about it for a while though. He's fantastic.

I was curious what you were going to say because I know how high you are on Curry (understandably so).

Can't say I disagree though, Curry is pretty incredible offensively (specifically shooting the ball).

Giraffes Rule
03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Wouldn't be a starter, but James Anderson is in serious need of a change of scenery. I think if he got on a team with consistent minutes and a defined role he would be a productive player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sign somewhere like the Timberwolves next year and get his shot back.

PlayDPlease
03-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Stuckey
Harden
Jason Thompson
Roddy Beaubois