PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan the GOAT wanted to be a Laker

C-Style
03-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Working on my MJ book. MJ deeply wanted to be a Laker, from his childhood right through UNC. Imagine that, if you will.

https://twitter.com/lazenby/status/183605874491797504

MJ idolized Magic. In high school MJ had a vanity plate on his car: Magic Mike. No lie.

https://twitter.com/lazenby/status/183606998762401794
:hi5:

JasonJohnHorn
03-24-2012, 05:47 PM
That would have been a sick roster. I mean, the Lakers had a sick roster already, what with Magic and Kareem and Worthy, and Byron Scott and AC Green and Sam Perkins and Vlade Divac, could you imagine Jordan filling out that starting five? CRAZY! I dont think i would have worked out that well though, Jordan really likes to have the ball in his hands, and Magic is the one that was covering the ball handling duties.

Hellcrooner
03-24-2012, 05:50 PM
oh really?

Then why the **** did he rejects Phil offerin him being the Sf in the Kobe-Shaq Lakers when he made the return?

he would have 8 rings ( maybe 9 if he played one more year).

C-Style
03-24-2012, 05:51 PM
oh really?

Then why the **** did he rejects Phil offerin him being the Sf in the Kobe-Shaq Lakers when he made the return?

he would have 8 rings ( maybe 9 if he played one more year).

He was president of the Wizards. how would that look?

Hellcrooner
03-24-2012, 05:59 PM

when he anounced he was coming back he had to step out of that position and sell his part on the team, he could sign where he wanted.

shep33
03-24-2012, 06:02 PM
I think like 90% of players wanted to be Lakers growing up.

Sox72
03-24-2012, 06:05 PM
You shut your filthy mouth.

ichitownclowni
03-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Everyone wants to be a laker

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I think him going to the Bulls worked out pretty well for him and if the Magic Lakers became the Jordan Lakers and that became the Kobe, Shaq Lakers the NBA would have lost a ton of fans because you need some parity in a league for it to sustain success. The Lakers would have gone from villian to league killer by doing what every team and every fan base wants there team to do and that is win every year.

jp611
03-24-2012, 06:20 PM
I think him going to the Bulls worked out pretty well for him and if the Magic Lakers became the Jordan Lakers and that became the Kobe, Shaq Lakers the NBA would have lost a ton of fans because you need some parody in a league for it to sustain success. The Lakers would have gone from villian to league killer by doing what every team and every fan base wants there team to do and that is win every year.

Parity*

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Parity*

Thank you, for the life of me I could not remember how to spell it. Going to go fix it now.

justinnum1
03-24-2012, 06:27 PM
lol

alexander_37
03-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Who cares...

devilsheat25
03-24-2012, 06:45 PM
This is relevant.

gotoHcarolina52
03-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Michael Jordan the GOAT wanted to be a Laker

Who didn't? :shrug:

The Final Boss
03-24-2012, 07:10 PM
The GOAT is a tossup between Johnson, Bryant, and West. Pick an era.

Trueblue2
03-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Could you imagine

Payton
Bryant
Jordan
Malone
Shaq

That just wouldnt be fair.

Hellcrooner
03-24-2012, 07:16 PM
I think him going to the Bulls worked out pretty well for him and if the Magic Lakers became the Jordan Lakers and that became the Kobe, Shaq Lakers the NBA would have lost a ton of fans because you need some parity in a league for it to sustain success. The Lakers would have gone from villian to league killer by doing what every team and every fan base wants there team to do and that is win every year.

curious, every one talks bout parity and blah blah blah

the truth is nba peaked on the money made during Bulls tirany on the 90s.

naps
03-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I am glad it didn't work out that way. I could never like him if he was a Lakers because of LA fans constant arrogance. We already have it enough here.

HoodedSB
03-24-2012, 07:30 PM
People really need to stop with the whole GOAT acronym. A goat is the guy who drops the game winning catch in the superbowl, or balks home the winning run in the world series. In other words, a chump who blows the game. Besides, prepositions don't belong in acronyms anyway. Why not GAT?

LASportsFan1996
03-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Who Doesn't

ThunderousDemon
03-24-2012, 07:39 PM
I am glad it didn't work out that way. I could never like him if he was a Lakers because of LA fans constant arrogance. We already have it enough here.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2012, 08:11 PM
curious, every one talks bout parity and blah blah blah

the truth is nba peaked on the money made during Bulls tirany on the 90s.

I know better then to respond to you but will anyway in this case.

YOU DID NOT READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU QUOTED. But that is what you do so I'm not surprised.

I was talking about 1 team dominating for 20 - 30 years, not one for six. Learn to read and understand because it seems to be a consistent problem for you.

xbrackattackx
03-24-2012, 08:32 PM
I know better then to respond to you but will anyway in this case.

YOU DID NOT READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU QUOTED. But that is what you do so I'm not surprised.

I was talking about 1 team dominating for 20 - 30 years, not one for six. Learn to read and understand because it seems to be a consistent problem for you.

But y u mad?

ManRam
03-24-2012, 09:12 PM
omg that is so awesome!

omg omg omg!

but seriously...a star player wanting to play in a top 2 market? stunning!

Nirvanaskurdt
03-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Then don't watch!!

Honestly though, Wasn't it MJ the one who said you should be the main man on your team and not team up like the Heat did??? Weird................................

LakersIn5
03-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Who didn't? :shrug:

dwight

ManRam
03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Then don't watch!!

Honestly though, Wasn't it MJ the one who said you should be the main man on your team and not team up like the Heat did??? Weird................................

Jordan, like any star ever, would have looked to leave if he didn't have a good enough team around him...

HrtHustleNMscle
03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Who gives a crap, he wasn't one...ever

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Lakers franchise > MJ > All.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Wow, are you really this jealous of the Lakers and their fans.

Get over yourself kiddo. :laugh2:

ManRam
03-24-2012, 10:07 PM
lakers fans are spoiled, and that's not an insult. they're been consistently graced with success...and they expect it year in and year out. the arrogance comes with the terms of rooting for the lakers...because they are spoiled. and it's not fair!!!

but again, who cares? do we really not think that most every player doesn't want to play on a team like LA in that market with that fan base (celebrities) and that ability to become an even huger star than they already are?

no.

big markets run this league.

C-Style
03-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Lakers franchise > MJ > All.This...

I

rockbottom2010
03-24-2012, 10:12 PM
if jordan was a laker...he won't have been GOAT...maybe more rings...but thats about it....

Aust
03-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Hmmm, never knew that. Interesting

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-24-2012, 10:24 PM
lakers fans are spoiled, and that's not an insult. they're been consistently graced with success...and they expect it year in and year out. the arrogance comes with the terms of rooting for the lakers...because they are spoiled. and it's not fair!!!

but again, who cares? do we really not think that most every player doesn't want to play on a team like LA in that market with that fan base (celebrities) and that ability to become an even huger star than they already are?

no.

But there is a difference between Lakers fans and says "some" fans of the Miami Heat.

Most true Lakers fans (not the ones that buy a fake $10 Laker jersey at the local swapmeet and cause raucous and riots) expect the Lakers franchise to win championships every yr, but our agenda isn't to demean any other fan's favorite team. We just get so self-absorbed sometimes that we just overlook everyone, not in a disrespectful way, but just in terms of self-arrogance.

But our intention is never to insult other team's fans. We just get caught up in a lot of arguments when we're compelled to defend our team.

Now Miami Heat fans want to put LeBron James and Dwyane Wade on pedestals, they're arrogant right now because their team is good, but they quickly look to insult other team's fans. Thank goodness there are some really good true Lakers and Heat fans where we can still have some really good arguments.

LakersMaster24
03-24-2012, 10:28 PM

:laugh: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgfpbs3aR31qd7aa7.jpg

LakersMaster24
03-24-2012, 10:30 PM
But there is a difference between Lakers fans and says "some" fans of the Miami Heat.

Most true Lakers fans (not the ones that buy a fake $10 Laker jersey at the local swapmeet and cause raucous and riots) expect the Lakers franchise to win championships every yr, but our agenda isn't to demean any other fan's favorite team. We just get so self-absorbed sometimes that we just overlook everyone, not in a disrespectful way, but just in terms of self-arrogance.

But our intention is never to insult other team's fans. We just get caught up in a lot of arguments when we're compelled to defend our team.

Now Miami Heat fans want to put LeBron James and Dwyane Wade on pedestals, they're arrogant right now because their team is good, but they quickly look to insult other team's players, especially Lakers fans (SEE Naps). Thank goodness there are some really good true Lakers and Heat fans where we can still have some really good arguments.

:clap: Sums it up.

ManRam
03-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Now Miami Heat fans want to put LeBron James and Dwyane Wade on pedestals, they're arrogant right now because their team is good, but they quickly look to insult other team's fans. Thank goodness there are some really good true Lakers and Heat fans where we can still have some really good arguments.

I don't disagree. It's well known, moreso a few years ago than now, that I hate the Lakers and that most of their fans rubbed me the wrong way...but when they're not winning the true/sane ones come out and you can't knock them.

Knocking Heat fans is very trendy...but whatever. I know so many Laker fans that haven't even ever been to LA. So, the Heat, like every other great team including the Lakers, have a huge fan base that revolves around fans that aren't really dedicated home-town fans. I don't care. The Lakers have as many of those fans as any other team. That's the territory that comes with being a great team.

I don't knock any team for their fans. Who cares? Fans can root for who they want. I just worry about the games...

smiddy012
03-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Jordan, like any star ever, would have looked to leave if he didn't have a good enough team around him...

Yeah, he woulda loved to play with Larry or Magic :facepalm:

STA_PLAR
03-25-2012, 05:45 AM
You're talking about a kid in high school who didn't know what he was capable of until he came to the NBA. The Showtime lakers were a great team that Mike may have wanted to be a part of. I guarantee he changed his mind the minute he was drafted and started busting *** as a Bull. He struggled in his early years and never left like LeBron.

Jordan was the greatest to ever touch a basketball and sorry to say that he did it for the BULLS.

No, the Lakers Franchise is not > MJ ....he did more for the sport than Naismith himself.

He was Kobe (the greatest of his era), Lebron (flashy) and Yao Ming (took basketball out and beyond the US)...

I am a die hard Knicks fan and as much as Jordan annihilated my team what he did for the game will never ever come around again.

MOST
03-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Then don't watch!!

And he didn't when supposedly he could of gone to lakers after his 6 rings. Could of had more probably. Might of been considered ring chasing tho. Well not really since he had 6 maybe adding to his hardware

abe_froman
03-25-2012, 07:12 AM
who wouldnt? the consistency being contenders/elite has made it the premiere name in this sport ,i'd say 90% of players in history wanted to be a laker at some point growing up.its like in baseball,deep down(and all things equal)pretty much all players want to be a yankee

BklynKnicks3
03-25-2012, 09:29 AM
the real goat was a laker #kobe bryant

BULLSFAN0810
03-25-2012, 12:09 PM

I hate to admit it ..i even wanted to be a Laker ....Bulls 1st, Laker 2nd.

Raidaz4Life
03-25-2012, 12:12 PM
I hate to admit it ..i even wanted to be a Laker ....Bulls 1st, Laker 2nd.

But instead you had to settle for the Kings.... isn't that right Chris Webber?

naps
03-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Perfect example (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showpost.php?p=21487164&postcount=22) why it was a good thing Jordan never played for Lakers. Imagine what these kobephiles would do here if Jordan was a Laker.

b@llhog24
03-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Has JB filled this thread with the whole, "He went to a franchise that won nothing and turned them into a contender" disease?

jrm2054
03-25-2012, 03:40 PM
i think all players did growing up

LakersMaster24
03-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Perfect example (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showpost.php?p=21487164&postcount=22) why it was a good thing Jordan never played for Lakers. Imagine what these kobephiles would do here if Jordan was a Laker.

Why are you so mad? Jesus.

Stop calling people Kobephiles left and right, is that the only word you know?

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Why are you so mad? Jesus.

Stop calling people Kobephiles left and right, is that the only word you know?

Yes, didn't you know? Those were his first words out of his momma's womb. He was born hating Kobe Bryant and Laker fans.

Davidgta1
03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, didn't you know? Those were his first words out of his momma's womb. He was born hating Kobe Bryant and Laker fans.

Hahaha

Hellcrooner
03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
:D
Has JB filled this thread with the whole, "He went to a franchise that won nothing and turned them into a contender" disease?

or his....magic refused to play with chicago because he wanted to play with kareem.

Go figure, now if jordan had a choice he would ahve wanted to join magic

Sly Guy
03-25-2012, 05:05 PM

lol, think it'd be really funny if the owner approved a trade sending himself to a championship contender to chase another ring.

Team*Chicago
03-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Kobe wanted to play for the Bulls back in 2007.

LakersMaster24
03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Kobe wanted to play for the Bulls back in 2007.

Thats because his team pre-Gasol was true trash.

kozelkid
03-25-2012, 09:21 PM

That's quite a statement. So what does that make Steve Nash? You have no evidence to suggest that MJ would have bailed. Hell, he was getting his *** kicked in the playoffs his first 7 years. Why didn't he demand to leave then. Was the 8th the magic number? Cmon, Manram.

smiddy012
03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
That's quite a statement. So what does that make Steve Nash? You have no evidence to suggest that MJ would have bailed. Hell, he was getting his *** kicked in the playoffs his first 7 years. Why didn't he demand to leave then. Was the 8th the magic number? Cmon, Manram.

Clearly MJ needed to play with another star, otherwise he would have left Chicago :eyebrow:

ThunderousDemon
03-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Kobephile, what the **** is that?

JordansBulls
03-25-2012, 10:59 PM
:D

or his....magic refused to play with chicago because he wanted to play with kareem.

Go figure, now if jordan had a choice he would ahve wanted to join magic

Except Magic himself said he refused to play for Chicago. Whether Jordan wanted to play for the Lakers is irrelevant, he never refused to play for Chicago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18462/magic-johnson-sought-elite-teammates-too

And in the case of Magic Johnson, Mike has done his homework. He found a Mike Downey L.A. Times article from 1991:
Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life." Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-05/sports/sp-83_1_lakers

Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life."

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers.

JordansBulls
03-25-2012, 11:00 PM

He went to a franchise that won nothing prior to him and that averaged 6500 fans before he arrived and not only turned them into a contender but a dynasty.

Bruno
03-25-2012, 11:44 PM

no.

laker fans are spoiled- although debating from a place of privilege against the underdog can be tough.

Hellcrooner
03-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Except Magic himself said he refused to play for Chicago. Whether Jordan wanted to play for the Lakers is irrelevant, he never refused to play for Chicago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18462/magic-johnson-sought-elite-teammates-too

And in the case of Magic Johnson, Mike has done his homework. He found a Mike Downey L.A. Times article from 1991:

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life." Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-05/sports/sp-83_1_lakers

magic refused what?

lakers had the first pick

lakers picked him.
end of the story.

JordansBulls
03-26-2012, 12:03 AM
magic refused what?

lakers had the first pick

lakers picked him.
end of the story.

He would have gone back to school had Chicago had the 1st pick so he essentially refused to play for them. That is what he himself said.

BKLYNpigeon
03-26-2012, 12:12 AM
MJ to the Lakers is the equivalent to Lebron to Miami. lol.

pd1dish
03-26-2012, 01:03 AM

this

beau_boy04
03-26-2012, 03:19 AM
that would have been crazy MJ in Lakers uniform. wowww

Rentzias
03-26-2012, 11:55 AM
MJ idolized Magic. In high school MJ had a vanity plate on his car: Magic Mike. No lie.

https://twitter.com/lazenby/status/183606998762401794
Seems like a lot of letters.