PDA

View Full Version : Homosexuality in the NBA

Spurred1
03-24-2012, 05:31 AM
So I was watching Chris Noth in "Law & Order" discussing a string of murders of gay men and I started wondering if an openly gay player would ever be accepted in the NBA. I don't mean a player who warms the bench all season long. I mean a star player. Do you think such a player would be accepted by teammates and fans?
Do you think one will ever come out of the closet? The league is made up of so many men, it makes sense that there would be some homosexual players; they're just in the closet.

Eagles710
03-24-2012, 06:06 AM
Is there something you wanna tell everyone ?

BoTiggle
03-24-2012, 06:33 AM
As if there is something wrong with being gay, or with a man even looking somewhat feminine?

In honor of my gay friends, and the crap they put up with on a daily basis, I want to say F-You to every homophobe about to hijack this thread.

My gay friends and co-workers are some of the best and brightest people I know, and their sexual preference has nothing to do with it.

I hope that a high profile professional athlete has the strength to come out, finally, and start waking some people up.

jp611
03-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Who was that gay guy that played for the Jazz?

Edit: John Amaechi

tredigs
03-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Crazy that no gay guy in any of the top professional sports here has come out during their career. Honestly, they should be ashamed of themselves, and I'm sure they are. Not for being gay of course - that's not their fault or a fault at all imo - but for not having the cajones to admit it and be a role model to the kids out there in a similar situation.

I played sports my entire youth and through college and never knew one teammate who was gay, but there is 0% chance that could have actually been the case. It would actually be interesting to see a marquee star come out. I do feel bad for the stigma that they have to deal with, the sports world is not a kind one to gay dudes, that's for damn sure.

HOZ THE KNICK
03-24-2012, 06:56 AM
this thread is not headed in the right direction.......i can see this getting out of hand in a few.

More-Than-Most
03-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Its the perfect defense though... Not one basketball player will back into you...If Durant had the ball with 10 seconds left down 1 and we had a foul to give I would hump him... This would promise he would not come within 5 feet and would take a terrible shot to try and end the game :nod:

blom85
03-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Does nobody remember Thad Guerwitcz? :clap:

He was a high profile athlete back in the day..

http://archive.glaad.org/images/media_awards/15th_annual/hires/Playmakers.jpg

LakersKB24
03-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Crazy that no gay guy in any of the top professional sports here has come out during their career. Honestly, they should be ashamed of themselves, and I'm sure they are. Not for being gay of course - that's not their fault or a fault at all imo - but for not having the cajones to admit it and be a role model to the kids out there in a similar situation.

I played sports my entire youth and through college and never knew one teammate who was gay, but there is 0% chance that could have actually been the case. It would actually be interesting to see a marquee star come out. I do feel bad for the stigma that they have to deal with, the sports world is not a kind one to gay dudes, that's for damn sure.

The question is what would the consequences be for a player who admits he's gay? I mean sports fans in general aren't always politically correct to put it mildly. Just look what's happening to Kris Humphries and he's not even gay.
If some player came out, he'd become an easy target for some so called 'fans' and I understand why those guys rather keep it a secret.

More-Than-Most
03-24-2012, 07:02 AM
It would be different years ago but now I think it would be fine...You will always have a bunch of morons eventually saying something.

tredigs
03-24-2012, 07:10 AM
The question is what would the consequences be for a player who admits he's gay? I mean sports fans in general aren't always politically correct to put it mildly. Just look what's happening to Kris Humphries and he's not even gay.
If some player came out, he'd become an easy target for some so called 'fans' and I understand why those guys rather keep it a secret.

Can't speak for other groups of friends, but I know if me and my buddies were at a game there's a good chance they'd bag on a guy like Humphries (for being a douche bag), or Kobe (for being Kobe), and 0% chance they'd bag on a guy who had the balls to come out of the closet on a professional sports team. I'd have so much respect for that player. Even if it was a douche like Humphries.

BoTiggle
03-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Can't speak for other groups of friends, but I know if me and my buddies were at a game there's a good chance they'd bag on a guy like Humphries (for being a douche bag), or Kobe (for being Kobe), and 0% chance they'd bag on a guy who had the balls to come out of the closet on a professional sports team. I'd have so much respect for that player. Even if it was a douche like Humphries.

True.

There would be some backlash. But the outpouring of support would be overwhelming. Only a matter of time now...

AceMan
03-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Honestly, as much as we all say that we're in a day in age that could accept them, I'm not so sure that's the case. Most of us are rational, accepting people who wouldn't have a problem with it. But what happens during a road game in a particularly intolerant arena when a few fans start a "***" or "homo" chant. Honestly the guy would have to have a Jackie Robinson level of emotional strength to get through that. Most fans are accepting, but I think there are a few bad apples in every bunch.

And what about teammates? Most of us could probably accept having a gay friend or co worker or teacher or star athlete, but I'm not so sure they could. Remember, a lot of them grew up in the inner city and the ghetto where people get their ***** kicked for being gay. I can't imagine all NBA players being tolerant enough to handle it, although there certainly some that could.

I think the only way it could work is if the guy was not only a big enough star, but if he was someone who couldn't get pushed around on the court. I am in no way implying that any of the players I'm mentioning here are gay, but let's say Chris Paul came out of the closet. Wouldn't he have to worry every time he drove the lane that some intolerant ******* would throw him into the stands? And wouldn't that spark a number of big fights between teams? Hell teams would have to structure their entire rosters around one guy to make sure that didn't happen.

Now imagine if Shaq came out. If somebody tried to mess with him for being gay, he'd just destroy them. Nobody would attack Shaq, and if they did they'd know he'd come right back at them. Not only would players have to worry about the media killing him for going after Shaq, but they'd have to worry about getting physically destroyed.

I also think the city would matter. It would be a nightmare for someone to come out in New York or LA because the media wouldn't leave them alone. I think it would have to be in a city with a smaller media market, but it would also have to be a fairly evolved city. Golden State would make some sense off the top of my head because of its proximity to San Francisco.

Honestly I don't think we'll see it for at least another decade. Fans are probably for the most part ready for it, but I don't think players are.

Kinkotheclown
03-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Good post

Any guy who plays a team sport and who is gay knows the possible outcomes of being open about it. And most of them are bad. Honestly, how do you think you and your teammates and you (and this applies to all of us) would have accepted an openly gay player on your bb team in high school? I came from a rural area and I can say that I don't think it would have gone over well in my town. Once someone is in college, they've learned how to get by so why change then?
There are areas in the country that it would be more acceptable but in general, look how gay men are treated in areas outside of major cities. It's getting better but it's far from acceptable and that should be obvious when you still have presidential candidates using the topic as a tool to get votes.

And I think the sad truth about the pros, is that...

A)there are still a great deal of guys that would be, let's just say unpleasant, with a gay teammate. I think it's way better and there are far fewer of these players but it still exists.

B)More importantly, promotional and advertising issues. Who will endorse them? It could be amazing and open things up for players and fans or it could be the end of a career.

How would the "Joe Six Pack", the 45 year old father of 3, slightly to grossly overweight, beer swilling, big true driving, yelling at the tv, fist pumping, chest bumping, ram tough guy react when he finds out that the jersey he wears every week when he roots for his team is the jersey of a gay man? Let's say Clay Mathews (cause the dude is a beast and it would surprise the hell out of people)
How do you think "Joe Six Pack" responds?
1- Does he rip the jersey off and run to take a shower and start rooting for the hated bears because the packers let mathews play?
2-Does he become depressed and disillusioned?
3-Does he get freaked out and panicked for a minute and then think, "**** it, he's an awesome line backer."? And then after this find himself defending Mathews to his friends who rip on him for wearing a gay players jersey?
I think 3 is the one we'd hope for but we are still in the land of 1 and 2. It's changing and someday it will happen but that player will have to be brave. I think it may be more than one when it first happens.

BKLYNpigeon
03-24-2012, 08:39 AM
I see no problem with it.

I do see alot of players dumb and closed minded. Barkley said something about it a few years ago, which was really brave of him. It really is the last of the Civil Rights in this country that this Nation needs to fix.

BIG worm
03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
As if there is something wrong with being gay, or with a man even looking somewhat feminine?

In honor of my gay friends, and the crap they put up with on a daily basis, I want to say F-You to every homophobe about to hijack this thread.

My gay friends and co-workers are some of the best and brightest people I know, and their sexual preference has nothing to do with it.

I hope that a high profile professional athlete has the strength to come out, finally, and start waking some people up.

:clap:

effen5
03-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Honestly what would be the big deal.

ztilzer31
03-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I've counted about 35 ****** jokes on this thread, and one good one. "Does Bosh count" DUR YOUR SO CLEVER. Seriously though if you're gonna do a gay joke it has to be hilarious, or you come off as a complete Dbag.

ichitownclowni
03-24-2012, 09:30 AM
I doubt someone comes out

3RDASYSTEM
03-24-2012, 09:34 AM
All of entertainment is pretty much involved, not literally but i mean from hollywood to sports to whateva else is entertainment, i dont know exact pct, but i would have to say at least 40pct of world is closet or openly like a EltonJohn, but im more like PimpC, i aint got nothing against these rappers just quit poisonin the ***** population and ****ing it up for us last of a dying breed

PIMP C CHUUUUUUUUUUUCH - http://youtu.be/2xr9nkO39K8
Another one for good measure - http://youtu.be/xq8dltXUGAA

PAC aired out a gang of rappers also..some of yall favs from JAYZ to DRE to DIDDY ...CHUUUUUUUCH

iliketurtles24
03-24-2012, 10:07 AM
it sure would be interesting to see the reaction.

I think the coach would be a huge factor. It would have to be someone that is extremely good at handling locker rooms, because like it or not, there will be some negative reaction to it.

Ironman5219
03-24-2012, 10:14 AM
I think that if a player was gay it wouldn't be that big of deal as long as that player focused on basketball and helped his team get better. If he flaunted it and caused to much attention on the gay issue rather than playing baksetball, I think you see some termoil... That being said you really don't see gays activiily engage in pro sports, I think their personalits are better reflected in the holleywood acting spotlight, to much testostron in pro sports.

gwrighter
03-24-2012, 10:21 AM
It just isn't a good look on a team filled with men. In all honesty its probably best to keep all sexuality away from the sport, hetero and homo.

IndyRealist
03-24-2012, 10:40 AM
There of course will be a wide range of responses from different players, PR people, and administration. ESPN might spin it into a feel good story about acceptance and the growing diversity of the NBA. The NBA is very liberal in it's views. At the same time there will be on court confrontations, heckling fans, and probably some behind-the-scenes lockerroom drama. I would hope, however, that the team would rally around their teammate and have his back. Because ultimately it's about playing basketball.

It's never easy being first.

IndyRealist
03-24-2012, 10:41 AM
I think that if a player was gay it wouldn't be that big of deal as long as that player focused on basketball and helped his team get better. If he flaunted it and caused to much attention on the gay issue rather than playing baksetball, I think you see some termoil... That being said you really don't see gays activiily engage in pro sports, I think their personalits are better reflected in the holleywood acting spotlight, to much testostron in pro sports.

That's kind of the point of the thread. There probably ARE gay players in the NBA, but they keep it hidden, because of stereotypes just like that.

otwisted
03-24-2012, 10:53 AM
There were rumors of Michael Cooper of the Lakers (no idea if they are true) being gay and if he was he was pretty accepted and respected league wide.

rhymeratic
03-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Clearly there are some guys in sports that are... Does it really matter or need to be known publicly what you do behind closed doors in a bedroom... nope.

That's just keeping it real/100%. We stand to gain nothing by knowing what each individual does in the bedroom. Do I show up to work and blab off about the things I do with my wife??? Nope so why expect an athlete to do so???

Now if some athlete wants to make it their own personal mission to discuss their personal love life than so be it and all the power to them. I think honestly those born from like 1980-present are far more tolerant of things and thus don't really care. Just my two-cents.

Oh and there are plenty of "SAME-SEX" females within the WNBA currently. If we all want to promote change etc... don't call them "gay" or "homo" etc. Those terms are ignorant.

theDOC
03-24-2012, 11:44 AM
don't flaunt it or try to make yourself special if you choose to be gay. if you don't want to play with someone who is gay, then quit.

it's that simple. nobody who is gay is going to 'spread' their gay to anyone but if it becomes a distraction because he starts hitting on teammates or wearing pink shoes and armbands then tell him to knock it off or cut him.

utl768
03-24-2012, 12:34 PM
derrick rose won the mvp

its fine

lol

Iodine
03-24-2012, 01:03 PM

This.

And leave it to PSD to take this topic and make stupid comments that really show how immature people are

CostanzaNumba0
03-24-2012, 01:03 PM
All of entertainment is pretty much involved, not literally but i mean from hollywood to sports to whateva else is entertainment, i dont know exact pct, but i would have to say at least 40pct of world is closet or openly like a EltonJohn, but im more like PimpC, i aint got nothing against these rappers just quit poisonin the ***** population and ****ing it up for us last of a dying breed

PIMP C CHUUUUUUUUUUUCH - http://youtu.be/2xr9nkO39K8
Another one for good measure - http://youtu.be/xq8dltXUGAA

PAC aired out a gang of rappers also..some of yall favs from JAYZ to DRE to DIDDY ...CHUUUUUUUCH

Actually the gay population is at best 5%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

A major problem with a star coming out in the NBA is that there are likely no gay stars, if 5% of the population is gay the chances that out of that 5% that a superstar basketball player is gay is almost statistically impossible. I'm a liberal democrat but this gay stuff gets entirely too much press, it is nowhere near as representative as one would think. Even if there was a major and may I emphasize this, MAJOR, statistical anomaly and there was a gay NBA star, the likelihood of them being accepted as low. Blacks make up around 80% of the league and the african american community is notoriously homophobic http://www.blacklightonline.com/phobia.html
It wouldn't be worth it for their career, although I think it would be a funny movie concept.

njnets
03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
i feel like teammates would accept it. The biggest problem would be playing games on the road. People would be dishing out homosexual slurs left and right. I dont think the players would have a problem with it. It would be awkward at first but they would probably get used to it.

That guy would pretty couragous to do such a thing and come out of the closet. I wouldnt be surprised if someone did it in the next 10 years with all of the gay marriage rights and laws coming out now.

Super Hans
03-24-2012, 01:38 PM
It is kind of interesting how you connected "a string of murders..." into a thought process about the NBA.

heyman321
03-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Clearly there are some guys in sports that are... Does it really matter or need to be known publicly what you do behind closed doors in a bedroom... nope.

That's just keeping it real/100%. We stand to gain nothing by knowing what each individual does in the bedroom. Do I show up to work and blab off about the things I do with my wife??? Nope so why expect an athlete to do so???

Now if some athlete wants to make it their own personal mission to discuss their personal love life than so be it and all the power to them. I think honestly those born from like 1980-present are far more tolerant of things and thus don't really care. Just my two-cents.

Oh and there are plenty of "SAME-SEX" females within the WNBA currently. If we all want to promote change etc... don't call them "gay" or "homo" etc. Those terms are ignorant.

Those terms aren't ignorant. Hollywood actors use the term all the time "I'm gay". Ever see Neil Patrick Harris offended by the term "gay" when used to note homosexuality? Nope.

NoahH
03-24-2012, 01:54 PM
There's so many homophobes in the NBA the player would get ridiculed continually. Remember what Tim Hardaway said?

"First of all I wouldn't want him on my team. Second of all, if he was on my team I would really distance myself from him because I don't think that's right and I don't think he should be in the locker room when we're in the locker room. Something has to give. If you have 12 other ball players in your locker room that's upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate."

SteveNash
03-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Star players would be accepted in general. The bench warmers probably wouldn't be in the league.

Heater4life
03-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Among fans yes. Among teamates not as easily.

As a fan of the sport, all i care about is the result on the court or news that pertains to limiting a star from playing/producing for my team. His sexual preference has nothing to do with me nor does it bother me in the least.

As a teammate its a bit different. You shower around these guys. You go out to hetero clubs with these guys to pick up women, groupies, etc. The on the court isnt the issue, its the off the court, the chemistry as team that becomes affected.

LakersMaster24
03-24-2012, 02:11 PM
As a fan I wouldnt mind :shrug: I could care less if a player is gay,straight or bisexual.

I dont care if a person is gay in general. As long as they dont try to promote it I dont mind them.

Badluck33
03-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I think since both Cuttino Mobley and Steve Francis left the NBA that homosexuality has dropped 100%.

heyman321
03-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Among fans yes. Among teamates not as easily.

As a fan of the sport, all i care about is the result on the court or news that pertains to limiting a star from playing/producing for my team. His sexual preference has nothing to do with me nor does it bother me in the least.

As a teammate its a bit different. You shower around these guys. You go out to hetero clubs with these guys to pick up women, groupies, etc. The on the court isnt the issue, its the off the court, the chemistry as team that becomes affected.

Really? I think it would be the other way around. Teammates would probably be more accepting and the fans would heckle and shout gay slurs.

Evolution23
03-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Corey why u deleting my post. I said they look Metrosexual. Look up the meaning of Metrosexual before telling me to grow up. Stop abusing your little powers on the internet, tough guy.

Lake_Show2416
03-24-2012, 03:32 PM
of course there r gay players in the NBA, it's hard for those players to come out due to being the subject of judgement by a strong manly group of his peers

hopefully 1 day we can get to a point where we aren't labeling ppl by there sexual orientation & simply forming an opinion of the person by actually getting to kno the person. For this to happen in the NBA, I believe it's going to take a high level superstar to make the strongest push for acceptance, any1 else, i fear would b looked down upon as not being a man

Captain Moroni
03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Just because someone thinks homosexuality is wrong does not make them homophobic. My belief is that homosexuality is a sin. In no way do I tell gay jokes or make fun of gay people. I also have gay friends who know very well where I stand. They accept me and I accept them. Bullying or being mean has no place in this world. I have other friends who cheat on their wives, and girlfriends, I'm not mean to them either. Republican, democrat, gay, straight, we all should treat each other with respect.
Being gay in the NBA would not go well with the machismo the players have. Fans would not accept it as readily as you think in my opinion.
And less than 1% of the population is gay, 40%? Come on.

Captain Moroni
03-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Corey why u deleting my post. I said they look Metrosexual. Look up the meaning of Metrosexual before telling me to grow up. Stop abusing your little powers on the internet, tough guy.

Corey does this all the time, if he doesn't like your opinion, he deletes it.

I Rock Shaqs
03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah Corey Deleted My Post cuz Derrick Rose is hotter than Taylor Swift

JWO35
03-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Can't see it happening, it would be too much backlash....Road Games would be brutal.

Corey
03-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Your post was deleted because it was quoting an inappropriate post.
Next time, feel free to PM me if you have an issue rather than attempting to derail a thread.

Corey does this all the time, if he doesn't like your opinion, he deletes it.
False, I dont really care about what your opinion is, that's the point of a forum -- to post your opinions.

However, if the post doesn't abide by the rule you agreed to when you created an account, it will be deleted.

You posted: "i wish Derrick Rose was gayy lmaoo".

Grow up.

Captain Moroni
03-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Next time, feel free to PM me if you have an issue rather than attempting to derail a thread.

False, I dont really care about what your opinion is, that's the point of a forum -- to post your opinions.

However, if the post doesn't abide by the rule you agreed to when you created an account, it will be deleted.

Grow up.

Sorry Corey, there is no logic to what you allow and what you delete. Your opinion, not the rules seem to govern your actions.

Raph12
03-24-2012, 04:10 PM
It's pretty sad that there has yet to be a player that could step up and admit to being homosexual. In fact, I commend Dennis Rodman who wore dresses and dyed his hair pink, etc; do what you want to do, it isn't anyone else's business...

TO Rapz
03-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Its the perfect defense though... Not one basketball player will back into you...If Durant had the ball with 10 seconds left down 1 and we had a foul to give I would hump him... This would promise he would not come within 5 feet and would take a terrible shot to try and end the game :nod:

:laugh2:

Sadds The Gr8
03-24-2012, 04:15 PM
lol yo road games would be hell. people would heckle the living **** out of a gay player.

TO Rapz
03-24-2012, 04:18 PM
lol yo road games would be hell. people would heckle the living **** out of a gay player.

It's true, if a gay player came into a different arena, I can see a lot of fans playing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ggzxInyzVE&ob=av3n

krazylegz
03-24-2012, 04:21 PM

so straight players should come out and admit their sexual preferance right?

RaiderKid318
03-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Sadly idiots in America would probably force that player into early retirement or worse..

tr3ymill3r
03-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't think his agent would let that come out. I have no problem whether you are gay or straight, however I think I'm in the minority when it comes to public officials being openly gay. Should it matter, hell no, but it will. It would affect shoe sales, endorsements, locker room moral, and then just think of the NASCAR fans that would come out in full force to an NBA game.

LakersA's49ers
03-24-2012, 04:46 PM
I hope everybody would accept it. There's nothing wrong with being gay.

Avenged
03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't think a player or anybody needs to come out and say they're gay.

You don't hear straight players come out to the media saying "Hey, I'm straight". Who gives a **** what their sexual orientation is.

TheNumber37
03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
You were up late watching reurns, huh? That's nice.

Beltrans Mole
03-24-2012, 04:52 PM

You don't hear straight players come out to the media saying "Hey, I'm straight". Who gives a **** what their sexual orientation is.

Correct answer

CoffeeJanitor
03-24-2012, 05:03 PM
To answer the OP the NBA certainly has gay players, there's no way around it. However, I think the general NBA player would probably be less accepting than most people would, and that's already taking into account how conservative America is with its views on issues like this. I hope that a high profile player comes out at some point--they will have to be very brave, though. Fans would obviously be horrible as well, but its always going to suck for the first person.

Eagles710
03-24-2012, 06:18 PM
I Have a Question.... Whats Wrong with Being a Homophobe?

Im not but im just saying, If someone does not feel Comfortable playing with a Gay guy whats the problem?

its there CHOICE!.... Just like its the gay persons choice to be Gay, and to come out etc etc

Everyone Has a Choice and you should respect there decision to be Gay or not

Or to be a homophobe or not

Bulls_fan90
03-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Im not but im just saying, If someone does not feel Comfortable playing with a Gay guy whats the problem?

its there CHOICE!.... Just like its the gay persons choice to be Gay, and to come out etc etc

Amen brother. :clap:

HoodedSB
03-24-2012, 07:08 PM
I also think the city would matter. It would be a nightmare for someone to come out in New York or LA because the media wouldn't leave them alone. I think it would have to be in a city with a smaller media market, but it would also have to be a fairly evolved city. Golden State would make some sense off the top of my head because of its proximity to San Francisco.
I agree for the most part, but New York and LA are two of the most liberal cities on the planet. If anything the media would make them their golden boy and they would probably receive more endorsements on account of their bravery or whatever.

Not every market would be as tolerant as others, as you said, and since players move around so much from team to team I can see why they wouldn't want to risk opportunities for endorsement contracts if they think coming out would affect that.

Another issue which has probably been stated is the affect on team chemistry. You got guys showering, dressing together, and not everyone is comfortable with homosexuality. I don't think you can blame someone for not coming out when it's potentially more of a hassle than it's worth.

You can feel uncomfortable all you want, nothing wrong with that. The second it affects your treatment of gay people in a negative way it starts being wrong. Tolerance doesn't mean approval, it's about not victimizing people for things they can't help (not saying you do). You can't choose to be comfortable with gay people, just like they can't choose whether or not they are sexually attracted to the same sex (and I'm not about to get into an argument this, so don't try).

Netslunatic76
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM

The same thing that's wrong with being a racist. Telling a group of people they are inferior to you and don't deserve equality or to be treated with respect simply because of their sexual orientation, skin color, religion, etc is discrimination and it's detrimental to society.

BTW, did you choose to be straight?

Iodine
03-24-2012, 07:22 PM

So whats wrong with being racist?

Whats wrong with being xenophobic?

Whats wrong with being sexist?

Iodine
03-24-2012, 07:23 PM
The same thing that's wrong with being a racist. Telling a group of people they are inferior to you and don't deserve equality or to be treated with respect simply because of their sexual orientation, skin color, religion, etc is discrimination and it's detrimental to society.

BTW, did you choose to be straight?

Dude didnt you know? when your born its like in the videogames where you create yourself, you tick a box and bam your straight or gay.

JLynn943
03-24-2012, 07:35 PM

It's not a choice though. Why would someone choose to have themselves subjected to hate and discrimination? It's as much of a choice as race or gender is. So being a homophobe is akin to being racist or sexist.

UnWantedTheory
03-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Stay in, come out....whatevs. Why does one have to do either? **** the closet. Get rid of it. Constantly viewing these issues in ways such as this is part of our problem. Because it shouldn't be an issue to begin with.

JLynn943
03-24-2012, 07:48 PM

It would bring attention to the homophobia issue and sort of normalize gays by having a major public figure in something that is largely regarded as masculine. It would serve to show there's no difference between the two groups on a very large stage.

Kinkotheclown
03-24-2012, 08:07 PM

So for this hypothetical homophobe, I would say this...
If you are actually comfortable with yourself and your own sexuality, you won't be uncomfortable just because someone likes something different. If you are so vain that you assume every gay man wants a piece of you, you're flattering yourself. Or maybe you have some unresolved feelings of your own that make you uncomfortable.
You don't have to like the guy. But you won't like everyone on your team for different reasons.

For your comment...
Who would actually make that decision? Who would say, "Hey, I think I am going to live a lifestyle that will be ridiculed, judged,condemned and one that will bring discrimination against me" Really? You think it's a choice?

What's wrong then with someone not liking someone for things that are clearly their choice and that make them look foolish and ignorant? Things like; poor grammar, poor punctuation, poor use of pronouns and capitol letters?
Is that ok?

HoodedSB
03-24-2012, 08:29 PM
simmer down now...lol

HoodedSB
03-24-2012, 08:44 PM
I really hope the mods keep it up. I think that guys post broke her brain.

SportsAndrew25
03-24-2012, 08:55 PM
This thread will set a record for most deleted posts. :laugh:

I have no problems with gays in the NBA. Just win baby and I will be your biggest fan.

Captain Moroni
03-24-2012, 09:10 PM
People that hate others for their belief's are ugly souls. If you hate homosexuals, this means you. If you hate religious people for thinking homosexuality a sin this means you too. It goes both ways.
The NBA arena would be tough on a homosexual player

HoodedSB
03-24-2012, 09:15 PM
People that hate others for their belief's are ugly souls. If you hate homosexuals, this means you. If you hate religious people for thinking homosexuality a sin this means you too.

What if you hate people that hate people who hate people whose beliefs are different than yours?

also, Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Captain Moroni
03-24-2012, 09:19 PM
What if you hate people that hate people who hate people whose beliefs are different than yours?

also, Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Hate no one tolerate the idiots.

HoodedSB
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
I know what you meant, just playing.

ACanadian
03-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Player's wouldn't accept them as much but the fan's would absolutely not accept a homosexual on their team

HoodedSB
03-24-2012, 09:33 PM
What about raptor fans? toronto is a pretty forward thinking city, right?

Lloyd Christmas
03-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Who cares what people like sexually? People are into some weird things. If a guys fetish is other guys why does everyone need to know? If a guys fetish is a dominatrix would we really need to know?

Omar Little
03-24-2012, 09:38 PM
I dont care what a player's (or any person in general) sexual orientation is, but one thing that I do find a little annoying is the fact that a lot of gay people feel the need to let people know that they are. Why does it matter? Why would a player need to openly announce that he is a homosexual? I dont remember the last time that a straight player made it a point to announce that he was hetero.

Again, please dont take this as a homophobic statement, because I promise you that I could care less what other's are in to. I just think it's interesting that whether people are pro or con, on the issue, that they think it would be necessary for the gay person to state their position.

HoodedSB
03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Who cares what people like sexually? People are into some weird things. If a guys fetish is other guys why does everyone need to know? If a guys fetish is a dominatrix would we really need to know?
homosexuality is not a fetish, but yeah, it's not really important and it's annoying when people let themselves be defined by their sexuality, or define others by it.

I dont care what a player's (or any person in general) sexual orientation is, but one thing that I do find a little annoying is the fact that a lot of gay people feel the need to let people know that they are. Why does it matter?
Why does it matter for you that they do? It really shouldn't dude.

VinceCarter
03-24-2012, 09:58 PM

lol what?

Lloyd Christmas
03-24-2012, 10:02 PM
homosexuality is not a fetish, but yeah, it's not really important and it's annoying when people let themselves be defined by their sexuality, or define others by it.

Im not trying to demean homosexuality but I do think it's a fetish. I think heterosexual guys' fetish is women. Is that wrong?

Captain Moroni
03-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Im not trying to demean homosexuality but I do think it's a fetish. I think heterosexual guys' fetish is women. Is that wrong?

Methinks you don't understand the word "fetish"

Captain Moroni
03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Heterosexuality is vital to the continuation of the species. It is in no way a "fetish"

JLynn943
03-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Heterosexuality is vital to the continuation of the species. It is in no way a "fetish"

Neither heterosexuality or homosexuality are fetishes.

Lloyd Christmas
03-24-2012, 10:26 PM
I respectfully disagree.

GSRaider
03-24-2012, 10:35 PM

:clap: well said mate!

Beltrans Mole
03-25-2012, 01:58 AM
These threads always end up well. It's still amazing to me that in 2012, people honestly think that sexual orientation is "chosen". Yeah, I'll also choose to be black, muslim, and handicapped all at the same time to really express myself! That'll bring down the man!

aussie
03-25-2012, 02:23 AM
lol @ the ampunt of deleted comments

aussie
03-25-2012, 02:23 AM
amount*

jammastershake
03-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Most of the deleted posts say "grow up" on them. Maybe that mod needs to "lighten up" ffs.

CoffeeJanitor
03-25-2012, 04:14 AM
I dont care what a player's (or any person in general) sexual orientation is, but one thing that I do find a little annoying is the fact that a lot of gay people feel the need to let people know that they are. Why does it matter? Why would a player need to openly announce that he is a homosexual? I dont remember the last time that a straight player made it a point to announce that he was hetero.

Again, please dont take this as a homophobic statement, because I promise you that I could care less what other's are in to. I just think it's interesting that whether people are pro or con, on the issue, that they think it would be necessary for the gay person to state their position.Because homophobia is a real problem. The fact that is an issue for athletes to come out should be proof enough.

ciaban
03-25-2012, 08:44 AM
I think its doesn't start with someone "coming out" as much as being dragged out, with the way online media is, it's kind of a surprise that no one has been "discovered" and then you have *** holes like Perez Hilton who feel its their personal responsibility to out celebrities. I think its going to start with someone being outed and other athletes watching to see how things are, hell if nothing else coming out will help you go to all-star games the LBGT community fervently backs their own.

ciaban
03-25-2012, 08:47 AM
I also think it would be easier for a player to do this in SF, NY, LA or Miami any city with large gay populations

BklynKnicks3
03-25-2012, 09:25 AM
does chris bosh have to even say anything lmao

BklynKnicks3
03-25-2012, 09:27 AM
it would be terrible if some1 did i dont care about players sexual preference but it woul bother me that homo sexual fans would come to games just to see that player it would be gay sanity

CELTICS4LYFE
03-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I think Big baby is gay...

Ray_R
03-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Grow up.
You should never, under any circumstance go to the Bulls forum.(you might work yourself to death)

Fact

BodyBag (http://www.armageddononline.org/images/swine_flu_bidy_bags.jpg)

To be completely honest if someone would come out they would get chewed up A.S.A.P. Look what happen to LBJ when the Delonte West story came out. People were screaming Delonte when he was playing.

Mr Costanza
03-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Clearly this forum is not mature enough to handle a grown up thread such as this given the amount of deleted posts.

netsgiantsyanks
03-25-2012, 12:22 PM
me, as a rational person, i don't give a ****. i have 2 gay uncles and they're possibly the coolest/nicest people i've ever met. but i can tell that there are some nba players that aren't rational and would look at them differently/treat them differently. and then there are fans that'll call the specific someone a ****** or a **** lover in order to get in their head. so no, i don't see a professional athlete, let alone a nba player, come out until they possibly retire

DaBUU
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
i always find it weird when people worry about anyone elses sex life that isn't their own.

Laker Legend42
03-25-2012, 01:16 PM
The problem is that straight guys think that all gay guys do and think about is have sex. To most straight guys that's al they know. I think some gay men make people think that way. You don't have to wear your sexuality on your sleeve. I've known gay guys that talk about who they had and ive known some who don't hide it but in conversation you would never know. The sports world is not ready.all sports are a test of "man hood". There is a openly gay wrestler but thats not the same.i don't think a gay guy is on the court thinking he's at a meat market. He's out there competing.for the players I think ignorance is bliss. We'd all be foolish to think the league is full of straight men. An owner or gm would have to come out first. That may make it easier .

Master Mind
03-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Is there something you wanna tell everyone ?

:laugh2:

DoMeFavors
03-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Players that I think are gay

Richard Jefferson, Dennis Rodman, Rick Foxx, Derrick Rose, Jeff Joster, Von Wafer, Blake Griffin.

elizur
03-25-2012, 02:10 PM

No, but they can bring their love to the game, they can kiss them in public they can hit on and meet girls in public, all pointing to this seemingly "unannounced" sexual preference you believe should exist.

Also, regarding locker rooms.. What does tmac think he is a godly stud and gay guys are gonna try and rape him. Give me a break

gilly
03-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Straight guys that fear gay guys because they think they'll be hit are just arrogant. Thinking they all beautiful and ****.

D-Will4Prez
03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm sure there are some...just watch for stiffies in the shower room.

COOLbeans
03-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Neither heterosexuality or homosexuality are fetishes.

Isn't having a fetish directly related to sexual attraction? Im with llyoyd on this one, I think participating in either hetero or homo behavior, or both, are activities brought on by sexual preference, which is a description of a particular fetish spurred by sexual appetite and attraction.

COOLbeans
03-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Players that I think are gay

Richard Jefferson, Dennis Rodman, Rick Foxx, Derrick Rose, Jeff Joster, Von Wafer, Blake Griffin.

What exactly does your Psd name, DoMeFavors, refer to? seems like a pretty good thread to address this question.

Lloyd Christmas
03-25-2012, 05:28 PM
isn't having a fetish directly related to sexual attraction? Im with llyoyd on this one, i think participating in either hetero or homo behavior, or both, are activities brought on by sexual preference, which is a description of a particular fetish spurred by sexual appetite and attraction.

boom.

netsgiantsyanks
03-25-2012, 05:37 PM
derrick "sexual" favors my kind sir.

NY007
03-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Another Lebron thread?

PlayDPlease
03-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Another Lebron thread?

Yup. Him and Wade in their skinny pants and tight shirts parading around Miami Beach.

NY007
03-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Yup. Him and Wade in their skinny pants and tight shirts parading around Miami Beach.

Scary part is I can picture that all too well

BIG worm
03-25-2012, 06:15 PM
yea i wouldnt be suprised if after wade and lebron retire, they co write a book "the story of us".

Ray_R
03-25-2012, 06:23 PM
What exactly does your Psd name, DoMeFavors, refer to? seems like a pretty good thread to address this question.

I see you are Cutting Ham my good friend. (http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/7483928/2/stock-illustration-7483928-chef-cutting-ham.jpg)

D-Leethal
03-25-2012, 07:33 PM
A friend of a friend of mine who happens to be gay has said Steve Nash is a regular at a certain gay bar in NYC....no BS.

Spurred1
03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the replies-apologies to the mods for all the deletions. But I should have specified-I didn't think I would need to, but guess I do..
don't speculate or name names. That's not the point of the thread.

ciaban
03-25-2012, 08:04 PM
So I was watching Chris Noth in "Law & Order" discussing a string of murders of gay men and I started wondering if an openly gay player would ever be accepted in the NBA. I don't mean a player who warms the bench all season long. I mean a star player. Do you think such a player would be accepted by teammates and fans?
Do you think one will ever come out of the closet? The league is made up of so many men, it makes sense that there would be some homosexual players; they're just in the closet.

did you see the one about pedophile coaches, i wonder why we haven't caught more star athletes hard checking children, it's not their fault as Lady Gaga said "I'm on the right track baby I was born this way"

ciaban
03-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the replies-apologies to the mods for all the deletions. But I should have specified-I didn't think I would need to, but guess I do..
don't speculate or name names. That's not the point of the thread.

the point is we care to much about other peoples sexual lives probably because were having enough of one our selves ;) and yes that winkie face was my attempt to hit on you lol

onlythisfar41
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
A lot of ****ing morons on this site. Like BoTiggle I too have close friends that are gay and it makes me sick to see the things some of you *******s say. Its sad and pathetic.

Now one of my gay friends in particular, you would never even know was gay unless he straight up told you. Hes very athletic and plays plenty of pick up games of bball and is a pretty great player. Trust me when I tell you that you would never want to say anything derogatory in front of him because hes about 6'6 265 and is the toughest guy I know. It would be great to wake up one day and have all the blind hatred disappear, but sadly its something that is going to continue as long as there are d-bags like some of the people in this thread, who will one day have kids who they will teach their hatred to.

As far as an NBA player ever coming out. I dont see it happening anytime soon. The backlash he would face from many fans, and sadly a lot of his fellow NBA players, would be so immense that I dont know how anyone could handle it. Its going to have to take one person, kind of like Jackie Robinson, to bear the weight of a whole culture and sacrifice himself to the mercy of the public. It wont be easy for whoever that player is, but he will inspire others to have the strength needed to come out as a professional athlete.

kyubi256
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
I think they would be accepted to the NBA as I see no problem with it in professional sports. I don't think it'd be a distraction or anything. But I think people just don't openly come out about it. Because most people don't openly come out about very personal life stuff in interviews. They are advised not to do it as they are scrutinized by the media and this would just make things 10x worst

JNA17
03-25-2012, 09:01 PM
A friend of a friend of mine who happens to be gay has said Steve Nash is a regular at a certain gay bar in NYC....no BS.

That would explain a lot actually. Especially this video and how uncomfortable Nash looked lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfSwsOzZtM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He's a freaking boss either way.

ghettosean
03-25-2012, 09:25 PM
I think they would be accepted to the NBA as I see no problem with it in professional sports. I don't think it'd be a distraction or anything. But I think people just don't openly come out about it. Because most people don't openly come out about very personal life stuff in interviews. They are advised not to do it as they are scrutinized by the media and this would just make things 10x worst
This...

And if there was a gay player on a team if he's helping the team get wins I don't think anyone will care whether he's gay or not. Some players may have an issue with it but as for fans I don't think anyone would care.

oak2455
03-25-2012, 09:54 PM

is he Happy:eyebrow:

TheIlladelph16
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
don't flaunt it or try to make yourself special if you choose to be gay. if you don't want to play with someone who is gay, then quit.

it's that simple. nobody who is gay is going to 'spread' their gay to anyone but if it becomes a distraction because he starts hitting on teammates or wearing pink shoes and armbands then tell him to knock it off or cut him.

Come on man... It's not really a choice. Why would anyone choose to be attacked by uninformed, terrible human beings? This is an example of the stereotypes preventing people from coming out.

NE Sportsfan
03-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm sure there are some...just watch for stiffies in the shower room.

That's the only reason I played football in high school.

_KB24_
03-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I think Lebrons gay. There.

iggypop123
03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
if barkley has already said there are gay men in the game just didnt give names. i think there is more coordination going on that people would ever beleive is happening. it cannot be a scrub that comes out first, otherwise its going to be a laughing stock. they will wait until at least an all star decides to abbandon the closet.

PlayDPlease
03-25-2012, 11:06 PM

He is Canadian.

PlayDPlease
03-25-2012, 11:10 PM
yea i wouldnt be suprised if after wade and lebron retire, they co write a book "the story of us".

Nah, title would be

"The first time was a curiosity ..."

or

"the king be balls deep"

PlayDPlease
03-25-2012, 11:10 PM
I think Lebrons gay. There.

I agree.

Lizard King
03-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Chris Bosh seems to be doing fine.

abe_froman
03-26-2012, 02:49 AM

sports is such a den of macho-ism that it would still be hard for anyone to come out(this ignoring the fact that being openly gay is still looked down upon in many lower class black communities where most ball players come from and the backlash they'd get from evangelical fans they might have).the day is coming,no doubt...but it still years away

ManRam
03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Too many immature/childish and insulting posts. It's a legit topic that if discussed amongst adults could lead to profitable discussion...but the majority of the posts here have been out of line, disruptive and pointless.