PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best team in the West?

CudiOnMyiPod
03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
The East has 2 mega teams while the West has about 4 or 5 teams who could be the best in that conference.

Which team is the best in the Western Conference?

Oklahoma City, San Antonio, LA Lakers, Denver Nuggets, and the Dallas Mavericks all have an argument.

I think the Spurs have the best team. They have a starting five of Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Kawhi Leonard, Tim Duncan and Dejuan Blair has scoring, top defense, clutch and great rebounding. Their bench of Gary Neal, Tiago Splitter, Danny Green and Matt Bonner has great 3 point shooting and a solid backup big.

The Spurs added Stephen Jackson who is still a great scorer. He will be focused under Poppovich and could end up being one of their top scorers. He brings a top scorer in the second unit. They also just added Boris Diaw who was a very good player a few years ago. He has slowed down in Charlotte but he can be a 12/6/6 guy and he would be a top option off of their bench.

Baller1
03-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Maybe you don't mean it this way, but this a subliminal shot at OKC if I've ever seen one.

It's pretty clear that OKC is on their own tier in the West.

Tier 1:
OKC
Miami
Chicago

Tier 2:
San Antonio (although they have OKC's number)
LAL
Orlando
Dallas

LAKobeBryant
03-23-2012, 07:58 PM
i don't think denver or dallas should be considered this year. i would say SAS and OKC but lately okc been not doing as great as they started and LAL slightly improved. but SAS and OKC imo are the "mega west"

tredigs
03-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Maybe you don't mean it this way, but this a subliminal shot at OKC if I've ever seen one.

Tier 1:
OKC
Miami
Chicago

Tier 2:
LAL
Orlando
Dallas

Can't agree on OKC in a tier above San Antonio yet. Not with them as a solid 2 seed and dominating OKC like they have. Teams with dominant bigs can take advantage of San Antonio, but that's not the case with the Thunder unfortunately. I think the Spurs could and probably would take 'em in 7. I'm hoping that matchup doesn't happen, I'd like to see OKC in the finals.

Baller1
03-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Can't agree on OKC in a tier above San Antonio yet. Not with them as a solid 2 seed and dominating OKC like they have. Teams with dominant bigs can take advantage of San Antonio, but that's not the case with the Thunder unfortunately. I think the Spurs could and probably would take 'em in 7. I'm hoping that matchup doesn't happen, I'd like to see OKC in the finals.

I don't disagree in the slightest. I just said it in another thread, but I'm insanely nervous about OKC getting bounced early. Not even sure why, just a hunch.

shep33
03-23-2012, 08:08 PM
OKC is the best out west, but the Spurs are right there.

TRF929
03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Spurs
OKC
and I see the Lakers making something happen, IMO Lakers over OKC
but numbers don't lie and OKC is playing good, so you could make the case for them atop everyone

Spurs should be feared with their recent signings adding onto their core

*Silver&Black*
03-23-2012, 08:10 PM
A case for only Spurs or Thunder. I would personally side with Spurs in this opinion thread.

tredigs
03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't disagree in the slightest. I just said it in another thread, but I'm insanely nervous about OKC getting bounced early. Not even sure why, just a hunch.

Yeah - I mean Lakers (minus Fisher and with badass Bynum), San Antonio and Memphis are all going to be really tough for 'em. Although Ron being a shell of himself is huge for them/Durant, and Westbrook will still roast Sessions. I think they would beat Dallas now without Tyson, but that's a tough one too. West playoffs could shake out a lot of ways, but Thunder have as good a chance as any - and securing HCA throughout is big time for 'em. Plus, they have the playoff experience now.

Baller1
03-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah - I mean Lakers (minus Fisher and with badass Bynum), San Antonio and Memphis are all going to be really tough for 'em. Although Ron being a shell of himself is huge for them/Durant, and Westbrook will still roast Sessions. I think they would beat Dallas now without Tyson, but that's a tough one too. West playoffs could shake out a lot of ways, but Thunder have as good a chance as any - and securing HCA throughout is big time for 'em. Plus, they have the playoff experience now.

Yeah, I mean I'm still confident in this team. We were in the WCF, and now Harden is a god at basketball, so that's always nice. But I don't know, I'm actually more skeptical about our chances this season than I was last season.

albertc86
03-23-2012, 08:25 PM
As good as the Spurs have been, I don't think they're built for the playoffs. They don't have what it takes in the tank anymore to make another run in the playoffs.

Iodine
03-23-2012, 08:28 PM
^lol.

Anyway as a Spurs fan I still think it's the Thunder, but Scott Brooks makes the beatable.

Jenceman
03-23-2012, 08:38 PM
^lol.

Anyway as a Spurs fan I still think it's the Thunder, but Scott Brooks makes the beatable.

No one cares Iodine. Every post "well hey guys, I'm Iodine and I'm a Spurs fan, btw lol here's my opinion"

b@llhog24
03-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Spurs.

tredigs
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
^Hah. I didn't know Iodine was a Spurs fan for a couple years on here, and I like his posts more than most of my friends (is that bad?).

HowBoutDemBulls
03-23-2012, 08:50 PM
San Antone

ichitownclowni
03-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Come playoff time I truly think that the Lakers are still #1 for one more year.

Raph12
03-23-2012, 08:53 PM
If Kobe can be more efficient, playing like he has with Sessions on the floor consistently, they'll be a tough out for anyone.

If Gay and ZBo can both find their niche within the Grizz offense, without hurting the team, they'll also be a tough out in the playoffs.

The Spurs and Thunder seem to be the best teams out West, but both have their flaws and the playoffs are all about matchups.

Out East; it seems like the Heat can beat anyone when motivated, so as long as they play they way they can, it seems inevitable that they make the Finals.

Chicago is always dangerous because of their suffocating defense, but with Wade and Lebron taking turns on Rose in the playoffs, his teammates will need to step up for them to have a chance.

Orlando is a dark horse team, they have the tools (Dwight inside and shooters outside) to contend with the other two powerhouses; if the 3s are falling, they can make some noise.

I predict a Heat-Thunder Finals, but a lot can change between now and June.

Iodine
03-23-2012, 08:55 PM
No one cares Iodine. Every post "well hey guys, I'm Iodine and I'm a Spurs fan, btw lol here's my opinion"
See I would care, but you go to university of hawaii Jency :p

^Hah. I didn't know Iodine was a Spurs fan for a couple years on here, and I like his posts more than most of my friends (is that bad?).

Friends? What are friends?

Jenceman
03-23-2012, 08:55 PM

He'll definitely let you know now though.

Is it bad if I consider Iodine a friend? I feel like that's shameful.

Iodine
03-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Considering me a friend is pretty sad.

Jenceman
03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Considering me a friend is pretty sad.

:blocked:

TO Rapz
03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
What the hell is an Iodine.

LakersMaster24
03-23-2012, 09:21 PM
OKC
Spurs
Lakers

In that order.

LakersMaster24
03-23-2012, 09:21 PM
What the hell is an Iodine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine

TO Rapz
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine

Yes but here we are referring to Iodine as a human being, not an element located on the periodic table.

Jint.
03-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Thunder Cats

Iodine
03-23-2012, 09:35 PM
:blocked:
I GAVE YOU LEAGUE PASS!

Yes but here we are referring to Iodine as a human being, not an element located on the periodic table.

basic graphic representation
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/memes-charming-as-always.jpg

TO Rapz
03-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I GAVE YOU LEAGUE PASS!

:laugh2:

DLeeicious
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Probably OKC by a hair but there are a few on their heels and I don't see them coming out of the west. I actually think they are very overrated as a whole. Miami and Chicago are clearly the two best teams in the league and there is a decent drop off from there to the OKC's/SA's/LAL's etc

Lake_Show2416
03-23-2012, 10:03 PM
OKC has the hype & is consensus pick but time will show that the Lakers r the best team in the west hands down

OKC's bigs lack offense & thats where the easy points come from, it's going to b hard to beat a team with jump shots only, in the playoffs

lavilevi23
03-23-2012, 10:16 PM
OKC and SA

Jenceman
03-23-2012, 10:30 PM
I GAVE YOU LEAGUE PASS!

Identity theft is my favorite

kdspurman
03-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Record wise OKC. (But as we saw last year that means nothing)

I think SA has the deepest team outside of Maybe Denver and it's close there.

Parker, Green, Leonard, Duncan, Blair start

Neal, Manu, Jackson, Diaw, Splitter/Bonner off the bench (and Patty Mills soon)

They can out execute OKC any day of the week. 8-2 in their last 10 meetings.

But, beware of the Lakers too.

ChitownSports16
03-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Knicks hands down.....

shep33
03-24-2012, 12:08 AM
OKC
SA

two best teams out west

jammastershake
03-24-2012, 12:09 AM
The Heat?

GrandDaddyPurp
03-24-2012, 02:26 AM
Its going to be Lakers and Spurs in the WCF. Heat and Bulls in the ECF.

C-Style
03-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Its going to be Lakers and Spurs in the WCF. Heat and Bulls in the ECF.

How if they will meet in the 2nd round?

TRF929
03-24-2012, 03:47 AM
Record wise OKC. (But as we saw last year that means nothing)

I think SA has the deepest team outside of Maybe Denver and it's close there.

Parker, Green, Leonard, Duncan, Blair start

Neal, Manu, Jackson, Diaw, Splitter/Bonner off the bench (and Patty Mills soon)

They can out execute OKC any day of the week. 8-2 in their last 10 meetings.

But, beware of the Lakers too.

:clap: I agree 100% with you. By the time the Spurs and Lakers get their new guys in the flow, watch out. Spurs, Lakers/Thunder

AsfanSince99
03-24-2012, 03:53 AM
da Lakers

Pakman
03-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Lakers in a 7 gm series. Good luck. Nobody wants them.

GrandDaddyPurp
03-24-2012, 04:01 AM
How if they will meet in the 2nd round?

Lakers will drop to 4 or Spurs will take first.

GrandDaddyPurp
03-24-2012, 04:47 AM
I hate to say this but the Lakers are the best team in the West right now. I knew Sessions was stud after watching him play in Cleveland. You would think the Lakers would be set back with the loss of Fisher but they got an upgrade with Sessions. He really completes the team and now every player is playing true to their position.

You got the best chance at a Lakers-Heat finals match up this year and of course that Kobe vs Lebron that everyone has wanted to see for so long.

Iron24th
03-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Tier 1:
OKC
Miami
Chicago

Tier 2:
LAL
Orlando
Dallas

Don't be cocky man, the Spurs are proven winners, and they have probably the deepest team in the league.

kdspurman
03-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Don't be cocky man, the Spurs are proven winners, and they have probably the deepest team in the league.

Exactly. OKC does not want to see LA, SA, or Dallas for that matter. That's not a knock on them, they just don't have the depth, inside presence, or ability to execute in late game situations to be in the best position to win ball games.

Davidgta1
03-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Spurs tony parker is the MVP in the west right now

willabeast77
03-24-2012, 09:07 PM
If the Spurs face OKC in the playoffs, no doubt to me the Spurs will win the series (even with OKC having homecourt). The Spurs are veterans and they played the Thunder well this season. They just better hope they dont end up seeing them in the playoffs.

Baller1
03-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Exactly. OKC does not want to see LA, SA, or Dallas for that matter. That's not a knock on them, they just don't have the depth, inside presence, or ability to execute in late game situations to be in the best position to win ball games.

If the Spurs face OKC in the playoffs, no doubt to me the Spurs will win the series (even with OKC having homecourt). The Spurs are veterans and they played the Thunder well this season. They just better hope they dont end up seeing them in the playoffs.

Why does it make sense for Memphis to beat SA, but OKC can't (a team who beat Memphis in the playoffs). I've said it PLENTY of times that I'm very skeptical about OKC making it out of the West, but god damn, people act like this team wasn't in the WC Finals last season.

It's virtually the same team with a much, much improved Harden. That's the way I see it.

Fair enough that some of you see this team getting bounced early, but give me a reason as to why this team will be worse than they were last postseason? Just answer that.

jbeezy
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Thunder

kdspurman
03-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Why does it make sense for Memphis to beat SA, but OKC can't (a team who beat Memphis in the playoffs). I've said it PLENTY of times that I'm very skeptical about OKC making it out of the West, but god damn, people act like this team wasn't in the WC Finals last season.

It's virtually the same team with a much, much improved Harden. That's the way I see it.

Fair enough that some of you see this team getting bounced early, but give me a reason as to why this team will be worse than they were last postseason? Just answer that.

Because the game doesn't work like that. Memphis was a bad matchup for the Spurs LAST year, and this year the Spurs or Lakers, or the Mavs are a bad matchup for OKC. Plus, there will be a bigger target on them this year.

And while it's the same team with a much improved Harden, other teams are much improved as a whole. OKC is just not that deep.

I'm not saying OKC can't make it out the West, just simply stating they are a little over hyped, and there are teams that they could meet that would give them major problems that are potential 1st/2nd round match-ups.

HouRealCoach
03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
I don't see whats so good about Denver... Last year they were deep but they lost Nene, Smith, Felton, & Martin for Rudy, Brewer, Miller, & McGee

That's a HUGE decrease

HouRealCoach
03-24-2012, 10:11 PM
I think that the Spurs are the best at the moment... The Lakers would be if Kobe didn't shoot that much

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Offensively, both the Thunder and Spurs are ahead of the Lakers.

Regular Season: Either Spurs or Thunder.

Defensively, the Lakers are ahead of both the Spurs and Thunder.

Playoffs: Lakers

Losoway
03-25-2012, 02:34 AM
smh i dont understand this

everyone was saying the spurs was dangerous last year around and they got the *** swept like barbershop floor man

the same thing is gonna happen this year and the next year ...no team in the west is seeing the grizzles or OKC

cutiepie80
03-25-2012, 02:40 AM
The Thunder and noone is coming close to stop them.

It will be a Thunder/Bulls-Heat finals and that is guaranteed.

cutiepie80
03-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Offensively, both the Thunder and Spurs are ahead of the Lakers.

Regular Season: Either Spurs or Thunder.

Defensively, the Lakers are ahead of both the Spurs and Thunder.

Playoffs: Lakers

:facepalm:

GrandDaddyPurp
03-25-2012, 06:17 AM
The Thunder are most overrated team in basketball. They will get bounced early in the postseason.

Spurs or Lakers will make it out of the West.

/thread

LakersIn5
03-25-2012, 06:24 AM
west
1. thunder
2. spurs
3. lakers
4-12. mavs, rockets, nuggets, clippers, grizzlies, jazz, rockets, suns, wolves

Iron24th
03-25-2012, 07:19 AM

That's not OKC who is worse than last year,that's the Spurs,Lakers and maybe Grizzlies and Clippers who are way better than last year.

No one can guarantee anything, it will be a battle to get out of the west this year more than ever.

Just enjoy.

JJ_JKidd
03-25-2012, 09:04 AM
The team that will represent the West in this year's NBA finals

basketfan4life
03-25-2012, 09:31 AM
my really objective opinion is, and i've been saying this even before the sessions trade, there is only one team in the whole league that can beat lakers in a 7 game series, and that tem is miami heat. If Miami advances to the finals, they are the champions, if not, watch out the lakers tying banner numbers with the celtics and kobe with mike.

BSardogan
03-25-2012, 10:27 AM
my really objective opinion is, and i've been saying this even before the sessions trade, there is only one team in the whole league that can beat lakers in a 7 game series, and that tem is miami heat. If Miami advances to the finals, they are the champions, if not, watch out the lakers tying banner numbers with the celtics and kobe with mike.

Basically, the thing you are trying to make clear is that the Thunder and Bulls CAN'T beat LA in a seven-game series? Honestly, I'm not even a Kobe-hater, but the only way for you to be certain about that is either get Kobe to do steroids and go 90/20/10 for the whole playoffs or get him injured so that he can't go a career-low 15% from the field and get your *** swept. Really.

There is just no way that you guys can go out there and beat the crap out of everyone (except Heat) for the simple fact that Kobe is not in his prime anymore and your bench is worse than Charlotte's starters (and that is REALLY horrific). Maybe, but I don't even consider this an option, if Gasol and Bynum can consistently get work done throughout the playoffs and Kobe trusts them enough not to today contested fadeaways for the full 39 minutes he's playing, you might be a championship team. But even then, are the Heat the only team that could stop you? No way, not by a long shot. Durant, Rose and Brian Scalabrine are too good for that to be the case.

kdspurman
03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
The Thunder and noone is coming close to stop them.

It will be a Thunder/Bulls-Heat finals and that is guaranteed.

:laugh2: Nice one

basketfan4life
03-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Basically, the thing you are trying to make clear is that the Thunder and Bulls CAN'T beat LA in a seven-game series? Honestly, I'm not even a Kobe-hater, but the only way for you to be certain about that is either get Kobe to do steroids and go 90/20/10 for the whole playoffs or get him injured so that he can't go a career-low 15% from the field and get your *** swept. Really.

There is just no way that you guys can go out there and beat the crap out of everyone (except Heat) for the simple fact that Kobe is not in his prime anymore and your bench is worse than Charlotte's starters (and that is REALLY horrific). Maybe, but I don't even consider this an option, if Gasol and Bynum can consistently get work done throughout the playoffs and Kobe trusts them enough not to today contested fadeaways for the full 39 minutes he's playing, you might be a championship team. But even then, are the Heat the only team that could stop you? No way, not by a long shot. Durant, Rose and Brian Scalabrine are too good for that to be the case.

yeah you might think that way but i don'see the bulls and thunder well suited for the playoffs, lakers front court is just too much for them, and you undervalue Kobe(it is well deserved by him by the way) but come playoff time, he'll might be a different kind of animal.

willabeast77
03-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Heat vs Spurs in the Finals (Miami winning in 5 or 6)

Laker Legend42
03-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Okc is at the top of the mound. I picked then to face Miami in the finals and Miami taking it all. Durrant allows himself to be taken away at times. He allowed j Kidd to guard him during the finals by standing. Around. The lakers are my dark horse. Sessions brings a new element that teams never had to deal with before. Last game Kobe started 5-6. Then he went 0-11. No one said much about it because they got 20pts from sessions and 17 or so from mwp. The lakers can present real problems for okc. I think the spurs will fade and I forgot about Memphis. They figure into the west picture.