PDA

View Full Version : LeBron, Wade, and Heat Join In Support Of Trayvon Martin

gotoHcarolina52
03-23-2012, 03:28 PM
LeBron organizes, tweets “Heat hoodie” photo in support of Trayvon Martin

Just an hour ago, I tweeted about how it’s more difficult for LeBron James to take political stands than Dwyane Wade, because James is more polarizing to the general public. His detractors are predisposed not to accept his statements or positions at face value, even inventing motives that he may not have. That’s true even when a situation seems clearcut to most people as, for instance, the Trayvon Martin tragedy does.

So it didn’t surprise me when Wade was the one who first posted an old photo of himself in a hoodie (Click here (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/heatzone/files/2012/03/Wade-hoodie-300x226.jpg)), in support of Martin, the Sanford, FL teen who was shot and killed by a member of Neighborhood Watch three weeks ago.

This (http://campl.us/il4E) did surprise me.

That was what James tweeted after today’s shootaround in Detroit, along with the hashtags #stereotyped and #wearetrayvonmartin.

That will have far more power than anything James could have done on his own.

Turns out, according to sources, that James has been talking to teammates about this for several days, trying to pull it together.

(And, no, don’t read anything into Mike Miller’s absence from the photo. He’s not on this trip with the Heat.)

This was a show of solidarity by the team, in support not only of a worthy cause, but of a teammate they respect.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/heatzone/

Wade, Heat, could no longer keep silent on Trayvon Martin

Civic activism tends to be muted in the NBA to almost the same degree as political activism.

As Michael Jordan previously and famously noted during his playing days, sneaker consumers come in all shapes, sizes, colors and political affiliations.

But to Dwyane Wade, when civic activism turned to parental activism, he no longer could remain on the sideline.

So Friday, before the Heat left for practice in advance of their game against the Detroit Pistons, the All-Star guard took to Twitter and Facebook and took on the Trayvon Martin case. It also was when he remembered an unpublished photo from a previous publicity shoot.

So there, on Twitter and Facebook, was Wade in a hoodie. Just like unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was when he was gunned a month ago in Central Florida while returning from a convenience store armed only with ice tea and Skittles.

By the time the Heat had returned to their hotel from the shootaround at the Palace of Auburn Hills, a photo of the entire team in hoodies had gone viral.

It has been nearly a month since Martin was gunned down. To some, it already is late in game when it comes to justice, or injustice if you will.

For Wade, though, it was acting at the right moment in the right way.

“I only start doing something when I find out more information on it. Early on, I didn’t hear the [911] call, I didn’t have a lot of information. So I wasn’t going to just jump into it,” he told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

But once he wrapped his mind around the incident, his heart followed.

“I’m a father,” he said. “It’s support of the tragic thing that has taken place. No matter what color, race, we’re all fathers.

“When you think about what that family’s going through, it hits you hard and it hurts your heart to think about it. Just anything you can do, obviously we can’t bring him back, but anything you can do to get behind and support is what we’re doing.”

Heat teammates followed with their own messages on Twitter.

While the NBA has not been like the NFL when it comes to the degree of limiting non-sport dialogue, it will be interesting, now that President Obama has addressed the issue, to see where the debate goes in the NBA.

And what forms it takes.

Friday, Wade and his Heat teammates decided it was time to engage social media. As a team from Florida, it is an issue that hit home.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/winderman-wade-heat-could-no-longer-keep-silent-on-trayvon-martin/

@Rachel__Nichols

A source also tells me @KingJames is organizing a show of support for Martin at the Heat game tonight

justinnum1
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Respect

mjt20mik
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Really unfortunate when stereotypes have such a negative effect like this. Kudos to the Heat for doing something like this.

LakersSaintsLSU
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
respect...coming from laker fan

HrtHustleNMscle
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Very cool, and I hate the Heat. This case is very very sad and my heart goes out to the family. Hope this guy gets the book thrown at him.

Cfrey
03-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Lebron is a bad person tho???

LeMarcus
03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
As a father myself, Im glad these guys are supporting a great cause.
Also, it's good to hear that the case is no longer in the hands of the local police dept and now being handled by the justice dept and FBI.

chicago lulz
03-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Respect. I really hope justice is served here. Awful awful story.

BigBlueCrew
03-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Glad Lebron and Wade are taking up this cause....hope David Stern doesn't give em any crap for it

Ebbs
03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
So sad. When you hear stories like this man. . .

GOod to see them getting involved.

Ramirez should start getting scared Wade and even more LeBron is a house hold name now opposing him.

Big Zo
03-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Hopefully more will join. Well done.

Hawkeye15
03-23-2012, 04:03 PM
such a bad story. Hopefully getting a lot of attention to it can help stop future incidents from occuring.

ThunderousDemon
03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Really cool of him to do that, much respect.

Gram
03-23-2012, 04:08 PM
It's so bad what happened to the young guy. Nice seeing the Heat showing so much respect and dignity.

JWO35
03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Nice to see them show support....

Master Mind
03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Man that 911 recording is so tough to listen...I don't care what color you are, you don't ever want to hear or see any kid go thru that.

raiderfaninTX
03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I think its sad that it took people to show they care only when some sports stars get involved

when it has been at the link below for people to comment on the last 2 days

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=705818&page=2

gotoHcarolina52
03-23-2012, 04:26 PM
I think its sad that it took people to show they care only when some sports stars get involved

when it has been at the link below for people to comment on the last 2 days

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=705818&page=2

To be fair, I imagine the NBA forum gets substantially more traffic than the Politics one. I, for one, wasn't aware that thread existed.

BIG worm
03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
much respect to the heat. very classy and courageous move. way to go lebron and wade!!!

*Superman*
03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
:sigh: sad story.

Cal827
03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
:clap: :clap:

RCarlson85
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
That's a very nice gesture in my opinion. Hopefully it helps open other people's eyes to what happened so it doesn't happen again. Very unfortunate.

Nice work by the one guy in the pic who didn't get the memo about matching hoodies.

NYtilIdie
03-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Much respect to the Heat for this move.

We can only hope Ramirez gets hard time for this murder, especially for citing "Martin's hoodie was as much responsible for his death". That is a quote of a complete moron, but I feel with the way past huge cases have gone, I have a feeling this Ramirez will just get a slap on the wrist, sadly.

JasonJohnHorn
03-23-2012, 05:56 PM
This story is just sad. I am embrassed to be white right now.

Tmath
03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I hate how media picks and chooses which stories they want to blow up, black teens get shot and killed everyday in black communities and you never hear about it but some black kid gets killed in a white community and suddenly its a big deal.

The level of race-baiting going on with this situation is beyond vile. This poor kid's death is being used by very influential and powerful people for political gain.

This.

mike_noodles
03-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Good on them, I signed the petition myself after reading about it in the paper earlier this week. Everyone should sign the petition at change.org (admins please don't kill me for the url, it's a worthy cause).

mike_noodles
03-23-2012, 06:10 PM
This.

While that may be true, the "shoot first, ask later" law needs to be abolished. It took 400,000 signatures from a world wide petition before the justice department even decided to open an investigation. **** ain't right.

Ray_R
03-23-2012, 06:16 PM
There is only one solution. (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lpiDRDaH-mU/R876r_K74rI/AAAAAAAAEwM/VwRM7SwHa3I/s400/******-15513.jpg)

jetsfan28
03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Love the support, but boy does having Mike MIller out of the picture look bad at first glance. Really wish they'd just waited a day until he was with them, but it's nice to see NBA players show they care about something and not take the easy, safe route.

Sota4Ever
03-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Wtf....

Mr Costanza
03-23-2012, 06:29 PM

theheatles
03-23-2012, 06:30 PM

George Zimmerman is Latino (probably a jewish latino but I'm not positive), no need to be embarrassed

AIRMAR72
03-23-2012, 06:31 PM
nuff respect TO those guys for taken a stand this is a tragic incident which seem happen more often than it should

theheatles
03-23-2012, 06:38 PM
if zimmerman gets off, then we all will have the right to chase any1 we want (if we think they are suspicious) and if they turn towards you and approaches you after you've been chasing them, then you have the right to shoot the person dead and claim self defense

Gators123
03-23-2012, 06:38 PM

lolwut?

jrm2054
03-23-2012, 06:42 PM
first off the shooter was latino not white i have heard people saying white and blaming whites not on here but in real life and this is a cool thing of the heat much respect to them.

jrm2054
03-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Love the support, but boy does having Mike MIller out of the picture look bad at first glance. Really wish they'd just waited a day until he was with them, but it's nice to see NBA players show they care about something and not take the easy, safe route.

ya i thought it was bad at first to when i saw it.

KB24PG16
03-23-2012, 06:44 PM
this is definitely a sad story no reason for the innocent young man to be killed like that but, ive been to florida and its quite hot and humid out there during this time of year why wear a sweatshirt like that?

sep11ie
03-23-2012, 06:55 PM
ya i thought it was bad at first to when i saw it.

I thought they all looked suspicious in that pic.

Master Mind
03-23-2012, 07:07 PM
this is definitely a sad story no reason for the innocent young man to be killed like that but, ive been to florida and its quite hot and humid out there during this time of year why wear a sweatshirt like that?

Happened in February, and Central Fla gets a bit cooler at times.

justinnum1
03-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Happened in February

And it happened in orlndo which is like 10degrees cooler than south flroida...at night it can be in the low 50s there

Master Mind
03-23-2012, 07:09 PM
And it happened in orlndo which is like 10degrees cooler than south flroida...at night it can be in the low 50s there

Yeah it does get nippy.

Atticus Finch
03-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Because it was raining

HrtHustleNMscle
03-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Much respect to the Heat for this move.

We can only hope Ramirez gets hard time for this murder, especially for citing "Martin's hoodie was as much responsible for his death". That is a quote of a complete moron, but I feel with the way past huge cases have gone, I have a feeling this Ramirez will just get a slap on the wrist, sadly.

Not with the national attention it's getting, no way. This guy is going down hard, and rightfully so.

HrtHustleNMscle
03-23-2012, 08:28 PM

Ummm, do some research moron, guy was Mexican.

5ass
03-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Whose to say that if the boy was white/latino/.. he wouldnt have been shot?

Its still really unfortunate that the boy died. Its a tragedy, but why are people so quick to turn things to racism?

Khri
03-23-2012, 08:54 PM
I hate how this has turn into a white vs black thing, this country :facepalm:

raiderfaninTX
03-23-2012, 08:59 PM
i just want to say that who said this is stereotyping? why did they directly assume that the guy who shot him even saw that he was black? Maybe it was dark? The kid was supposedly wearing a hoodie so maybe he didnt see his face/head? Whose to say that if the boy was white/latino/.. he wouldnt have been shot?

Its still really unfortunate that the boy died. Its a tragic mistake, but why are people so quick to turn things to racism?

You may want to go read up on this before making a legitimate Ignorant comment

raiderfaninTX
03-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Whats really bad is it shows how dumb people are the guy who shot him wasnt even white.

:speechless:

Slug3
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM
i just want to say that who said this is stereotyping? why did they directly assume that the guy who shot him even saw that he was black? Maybe it was dark? The kid was supposedly wearing a hoodie so maybe he didnt see his face/head? Whose to say that if the boy was white/latino/.. he wouldnt have been shot?

Its still really unfortunate that the boy died. Its a tragic mistake, but why are people so quick to turn things to racism?

Go listen to the 911 calls he made, he knew.

5ass
03-23-2012, 09:33 PM
You may want to go read up on this before making a legitimate Ignorant comment

ill admit i was misinformed, i didnt know there was a fight. From what i heard thats not how it went down. Anyway, im not going to be quick to say its a racist crime since theres no real evidence. Like i said whose to say if the kid was any other race he wouldnt have been shot.

Holydiver
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
sanctimonious bozos.

SportsAndrew25
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Just a nice show of respect to the kid by the Heat but I do not want to jump to conclusions on this case. I am just sick of the issue of race being brought up.

JasonJohnHorn
03-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Ummm, do some research moron, guy was Mexican.

He was half white bro. His father is white, his mother is Latino.

HoodedSB
03-23-2012, 10:48 PM

its election season what did you expect?

levignjw
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Good to see.

RIP lil man

ball4reel
03-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I have a new found respect for him!!! This is stepping up in a big way..

Thank you Lebron!!!!

jammastershake
03-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Lebron is kind of pathetic for this photo. Ever since he left cleveland, he's been trying to improve his image. That is what this is, another opportunity for LBJ to remind the world that he's a good guy.

Low as you can get really, using the death of this kid to put on a pr move.

smh.

btw, funny how some heat have their whole face covered..... but not wade or james. they made sure their faces were visible lol jokes.

Lake_Show2416
03-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Did anyone hear wut Geraldo Rivera said on the issue, wut a piece of ****

much respect to have the courage to support the kid, when in this day & age ppl r afraid to associate themselves with anything controversial

Lake_Show2416
03-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Lebron is kind of pathetic for this photo. Ever since he left cleveland, he's been trying to improve his image. That is what this is, another opportunity for LBJ to remind the world that he's a good guy.

smh.

btw, funny how some heat have their whole face covered..... but not wade or james. they made sure their faces were visible lol jokes.

This is a disgusting post, some times u have to step back & realize certain things r bigger than a sport & the competitive hate that comes along with it #RESPECT

jammastershake
03-23-2012, 11:56 PM
disgusting post? what is disgusting about stating that lebron is using the picture for good pr? if you think famous people don't use crappy events, like what happen to this kid, to garner good pr, then you are living in lalaland.

ManRam
03-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Geraldo Rivera is as out of touch with reality as it comes.

I'm glad they're standing up and promoting something they believe strongly in. That's all there is to say about it. It's a cause they feel is worth fighting for...and they are. No reason to question them for doing so.

You can insult them and whatever you want, saying they're only doing it for good PR or whatever, but whatever. Who cares? That's petty stuff. If you hate them to the point where everything they do isn't genuine, so be it. Just quietly keep that your own opinion and move on. Championing against these two championing for an innocent boy being shot to death is pointless.

Good for them. It's a horrible and deeply saddening story...and if they're going to be activists for it, I'll take their word for it and support them.

ONLY LeBron could stand up for something like this and still be attacked. That's sad...but not as 1/1000th as sad as this whole ordeal...and that's all that matters. Even still, LeBron is one of the most charitable people in professional sports. It's well reported that he gives back more than what's asked from him. I don't doubt for one second that he legitimately cares about this and is invested in it.

gotoHcarolina52
03-24-2012, 12:14 AM
@AdamReisinger

In case you hadn't seen yet, LeBron's shoes tonight: http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/photos?gameId=320323008&photoId=1950805

@MiamiHeraldHeat

"RIP Trayvon Martin" on LeBron James' shoes. "We Want Justice" on Bosh's shoes.

Wade, LeBron, Dexter Pittman and Eddy Curry among Heat players with tributes to Trayvon Martin on shoes.

Udonis Haslem on Trayvon Martin: "It hit home with a lot of us because the majority of us have kids. A lot of us have little boys."

@Stareagle

"I have two boys and D-Wade has two boys. Next time, that could be our son. We want to shed light on something that's wrong." - LeBron

HrtHustleNMscle
03-24-2012, 12:18 AM

Obama is half white and raised by white woman (Mother and grandma), but everyone calls him black. How come with mixed races people always consider them the minority until it is convenient to call them white? Anyway, it doesn't matter, the guy said he was embarrassed to be white which is just a stupid statement altogether considering this isn't a black/white thing. It's just a stupid ignorant bad human being thing.

jammastershake
03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
lol ^ milking it for all it's worth aren't they.

Knowledge
03-24-2012, 12:21 AM
The reason people are still calling him white is probably because the police had him marked down as a white male on the incident report originally. His mother is Latina and his father is white so technically he is both and it could come down to what he views himself most. Anyway, this argument is irrelevlant and really doesnt matter.

Also for anyone asking "how do we know a kid of another race wouldnt have had the same fate?" Read up on the story and listen to the 911 call (the one with the potential racial slur in it) and then come back to comment. I dont mind people having different opinions, but when you openly admit to being ignorant or uninformed about the case, I think you lose the right to make an argument about whether it was race related or not. In fact your argument becomes asinine. It really isnt that hard to Google "George Zimmerman" or "Trayvon Martin" and read an article or 2.

Personally, I feel like the more information that comes out about this case and previous Sanford police incidents, it makes it hard to separate race from the discussion. Which is why I commend Lebron and Wade for their willingness to put themselves in this position.

gotoHcarolina52
03-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Ira Winderman

LeBron James, postgame, on the Heat's Trayvon Martin "hoodie" tribute, "A lot of us are fathers, a lot of us have young boys. And for us to be in the position we're in, we're happy to be able to shed light on the situation."

Knowledge
03-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Obama is half white and raised by white woman (Mother and grandma), but everyone calls him black. How come with mixed races people always consider them the minority until it is convenient to call them white? Anyway, it doesn't matter, the guy said he was embarrassed to be white which is just a stupid statement altogether considering this isn't a black/white thing. It's just a stupid ignorant bad human being thing.

Because Obama has always identified himself as black. There was never any controversy about it. I have never seen a document where Obama or someone else marked him down as other or white.

Once again, the police marked Zimmerman down as white in their initial incident report and if George Zimmerman is the one identifying himself as a white male then it isnt out of context to call him that since he is both. Those 2 reasons are the only legit ones I can think of to why he is called white. Either way it doesnt matter though.

Bravo95
03-24-2012, 01:45 AM
The reason people are still calling him white is probably because the police had him marked down as a white male on the incident report originally. His mother is Latina and his father is white so technically he is both and it could come down to what he views himself most. Anyway, this argument is irrelevlant and really doesnt matter.

Also for anyone asking "how do we know a kid of another race wouldnt have had the same fate?" Read up on the story and listen to the 911 call (the one with the potential racial slur in it) and then come back to comment. I dont mind people having different opinions, but when you openly admit to being ignorant or uninformed about the case, I think you lose the right to make an argument about whether it was race related or not. In fact your argument becomes asinine. It really isnt that hard to Google "George Zimmerman" or "Trayvon Martin" and read an article or 2.

Personally, I feel like the more information that comes out about this case and previous Sanford police incidents, it makes it hard to separate race from the discussion. Which is why I commend Lebron and Wade for their willingness to put themselves in this position.
Well said.

NYtilIdie
03-24-2012, 01:48 AM

smh.

Not even worth it, just go ***k yourself for this bulls**t statement.

Bravo95
03-24-2012, 02:02 AM
I seriously doubt anyone in here actually believes the kid would be dead if he weren't a person of color.

Some of us aren't even surprised at anything that has (or hasn't) happened since he was murdered.

Lake_Show2416
03-24-2012, 02:19 AM
I seriously doubt anyone in here actually believes the kid would be dead if he weren't a person of color.

Some of us aren't even surprised at anything that has (or hasn't) happened since he was murdered.

Police is too busy locking up ppl stealing food & smoking weed, u know the real criminals

This is y u take care of #1, urself, then worry bout everything else cuz in this screwed up society u cant rely on anything for assistance, not even the law

fadedmario
03-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Very cool gesture by the Heat and their players. I live in an area that's really mixed when it comes to race. Glad I don't have to worry about stuff like this. I have kids of my own and can't imagine if something like this happened. The guy that did this deserves a prison sentence. In Michigan - we may be a broke state - but were not a racist state.

thekmp211
03-24-2012, 11:09 AM

have you ever looked at obama?

do you think ignorant racists and bigots took the time to realize he was half white and thus left him alone?

sad to say, the way you look dictates much of how you are treated. the mathematical percentage of black/white doesn't matter -- his appearance as a black man would dictate his experience with civil rights and discrimination. not to mention his unique name.

the fact that the shooter is still roaming free is just...crazy...glad to see the big names in the sport stepping up.

BcEuAbRsS
03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
@AdamReisinger

@MiamiHeraldHeat

@Stareagle

Not even joking, I just woke up and thought the quote said Bosh's shoes said "I want juice"...

But in seriousness, I remember reading this story when it first broke a few weeks back... this is 100% a race issue, had it been me (white male) then I'm willing to assume that I would still be alive...

raiderfaninTX
03-24-2012, 11:31 AM
It is a race issue but whats funny is that there really is more hate between Hispanics and blacks than there is whites and blacks at least where I live and where I grew up in California.

So the problem though with minorities they use incidents like these to fuel their own prejudice which is just wrong. You can see it in some of the posts on here, but in the end its useless because with that mentality your really not going to amount to much in life.

Big Zo
03-24-2012, 01:37 PM

smh.

You root for a team led by a guy who killed a bunch of dogs, and has been trying to do the same ever since, so I guess you would know.

devilsheat25
03-24-2012, 02:11 PM
disgusting post? what is disgusting about stating that lebron is using the picture for good pr? if you think famous people don't use crappy events, like what happen to this kid, to garner good pr, then you are living in lalaland.

What's wrong with you?

justinnum1
03-24-2012, 02:23 PM

:facepalm:

Heater4life
03-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Love it. Its shows what the Heat are about, community.

justinnum1
03-24-2012, 02:42 PM
really touching story by jason whitlock, who i dont usually like but he nails it on the head in this

http://extreme.mobile.msn.com/sports/NBA/article/1330063

raidersrock99
03-24-2012, 02:55 PM
it was tragic and obsurd that the guy is not being convicted

justinnum1
03-24-2012, 02:57 PM
I just read some report about a witness who says martin attacked zimmerman, and thats why zimmerman wasnt arrested...needless to say there are many facts that the public doesnt know, at least we will get a full and thorough investigation.

gotoHcarolina52
03-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Justin, here's an article re: Martin attacking Zimmerman

Witness: Trayvon Martin attacked Zimmerman before shooting

According to a witness known only as "John," Trayvon Martin assaulted George Zimmerman before being shot to death by the self-appointed neighborhood watchman on February 26.

On Friday, Fox Tampa reported that few know what authorities now have on the case.

Fox added:

The file now sits in the hands of the state attorney. Now that file is just weeks away from being opened to a grand jury.

It shows more now about why police believed that night that George Zimmerman shouldn't have gone to jail.

Zimmerman called 911 and told dispatchers he was following a teen. The dispatcher told Zimmerman not to.

And from that moment to the shooting, details are few.

"The guy on the bottom who had a red sweater on was yelling to me: 'help, help…and I told him to stop and I was calling 911," the anonymous witness said.

Zimmerman was wearing a red sweater that day.

"When I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point," he said.

"There's no way I can believe that, because he's not a confrontational kid," the UK Daily Mail quoted Jerome Horton, one of Martin's former football coaches who reportedly knew the young man since he was a small child.

According to information posted on the Sanford city website, Zimmerman claimed he was going back to his SUV when Martin allegedly attacked him.

"Sanford police say Zimmerman was bloody in his face and head, and the back of his shirt was wet and had grass stains, indicating a struggle took place before the shooting," Fox reported.

Craig Sonner, Zimmerman's attorney, told CNN's Anderson Cooper that Zimmerman's “nose was broken, he sustained injury to his nose and on the back of his head; he sustained a cut that was serious enough to merit stitches, but it took too long to get to the hospital.”

According to Sonner, the injuries were "done by Trayvon Martin.”

Mediaite added:

Sonner declines to answer a number of questions– some evoking the attorney-client privilege, others because he simply had not been made privy yet to relevant information. But his claims that his client had significant physical damage on his body from some sort of exchange with Martin will be integral to the defense, whose only exit from a conviction should someone finally arrest Zimmerman would be proof that he reasonably believed his life was in danger.

"I don't believe that George Zimmerman's a racist or that this was motivated by a dislike for African-Americans," Sonner added.

Nevertheless, the shooting has caused a firestorm of controversy as civil rights activists Jesse Jackson and others view the shooting as proof of rampant racism since Zimmerman has not been arrested.

At a recent press conference, members of the New Black Panther party passed out "Wanted: Dead or Alive" posters against Zimmerman.

“God da***t, he should be fearful for his life," said Minister Mikhail Muhummud of the New Panther Party.

http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-spokane/witness-trayvon-martin-attacked-zimmerman-before-shooting#ixzz1q452QOh3

Captain Moroni
03-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Melo and amare jumped on this rit out of the gate. Both wore hoodies during the ore game shoot around yesterday

avrpatsfan
03-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I have a newfound respect for Lebron after this. He seems to be the one who organized this so I'm very impressed.

The Final Boss
03-24-2012, 03:52 PM
This is nothing more than a poorly planned publicity stunt.

justinnum1
03-24-2012, 03:53 PM
This is nothing more than a poorly planned publicity stunt.

:facepalm:

The Final Boss
03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Melo and amare jumped on this rit out of the gate. Both wore hoodies during the ore game shoot around yesterday

No, they just wore them because they're clowns. You know how these people are- they dress like 13 year olds well into their 50's.

Master Mind
03-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Justin, here's an article re: Martin attacking Zimmerman

It all stinks. Never have I seen a person walk free after a homicide even if it was in self defense, they record everything. If his injuries were that serious he would have gone to the hospital but he must be wolverine.

ManRam
03-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Those questioning LeBron for supporting this...

Do you question Common, Bomani Jones, Will Farrell, Roddy White etc.? Or just LeBron, because you hate him?

Monday is (inter)national hoodie day. Wear it!

Lakers4ItAll
03-24-2012, 10:25 PM
so tired of hearing about this ****

jammastershake
03-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Monday is (inter)national hoodie day. Wear it!

No.

In fact, I believe hoodies are one of the big problems in this country, and every idiot out there is wearing one, all the time. I have a hoodie, and I wear when it rains. I don't wear it to look cool, and I certainly dont wear it to garner good pr, like some do :::cough:::

And before someone calls me a racist, I am on the side of putting that Zimmerman behind bars for the killing.

shizzle09
03-24-2012, 11:05 PM
^^Get real! You and anyone else that somehow turn a great thing done by these guys into fuel for your hate can take a ****ing hike! Seriously! You pollute these forums and make psd a waste. You must have an awful life to find time to hate on good motives done by other people. Doesn't matter who does this, bulls, lakers or any other team I hate. I would never slight anything of this nature. It happened in "their" state and they are fathers. You "obviously" are not and thank god!!!!

Big Zo
03-24-2012, 11:16 PM
^^Get real! You and anyone else that somehow turn a great thing done by these guys into fuel for your hate can take a ****ing hike! Seriously! You pollute these forums and make psd a waste. You must have an awful life to find time to hate on good motives done by other people. Doesn't matter who does this, bulls, lakers or any other team I hate. I would never slight anything of this nature. It happened in "their" state and they are fathers. You "obviously" are not and thank god!!!!

It serves LeBron right for... um... switching teams! I mean... gah!

justinnum1
03-24-2012, 11:30 PM
No.

In fact, I believe hoodies are one of the big problems in this country, and every idiot out there is wearing one, all the time. I have a hoodie, and I wear when it rains. I don't wear it to look cool, and I certainly dont wear it to garner good pr, like some do :::cough:::

And before someone calls me a racist, I am on the side of putting that Zimmerman behind bars for the killing.

Geraldo, is that you?

NoahH
03-24-2012, 11:37 PM
RIP Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman needs to be prosecuted.

ManRam
03-24-2012, 11:56 PM
No.

Wait. It was well-reported that it was raining. So....you blame him for wearing it?

Hoodies are a problem with this country? :laugh:

Get the **** out of here, Geraldo. I work with a 72 year old lady who wears a hoodie to work every day. Go tell her she's "a problem in the country".

:laugh2:

I don't wear a hoodie and mildly loose pants because I think it's "cool"...I wear it because it's me and it's comfortable. Keep being ignorant. Zimmerman deserves to be tried....I don't know if he's guilty...but he should at least be questioned/tried.

And trust me, I'll dress like that...and I'm as straight edged as it gets.

Stereotypes, profiling and racism...that's all this is. And that's a damn shame.

But to say hoodies are a problem in society has me rolling on the floor right now...

IT WAS RAINING!

HE WAS GETTING SKITTLES FOR A FAMILY MEMBER.

HE WAS SHOT BY A FREAK...A FREAK OBSESSED WITH THE BLACK YOUTH.

it is what it is...but don't get all geraldo rivera on us...

justinnum1
03-25-2012, 12:03 AM
If there was anything worse than geraldo making that statement, it was him defending it

gotoHcarolina52
03-25-2012, 12:11 AM
geraldo, is that you?

:laugh:

D Roses Bulls
03-25-2012, 01:00 AM
now a witness came out defending it. when did psd all of a sudden go against the cops. i guess when a sports figure support it, its ok.

Cubby
03-25-2012, 01:33 AM
People have always hated cops. Deep down almost everyone hates them and it's sick.

Like ManRam said, he deserves to be tried. But some people take it way too far by saying "Cops suck" or "Cops are scum." It sickens me.

Cubby
03-25-2012, 01:38 AM
It all stinks. Never have I seen a person walk free after a homicide even if it was in self defense, they record everything. If his injuries were that serious he would have gone to the hospital but he must be wolverine.

So if an actual cop were investigating something and a guy attacked him, he should get punished for protecting himself? Gotcha.

The goods
03-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Sad story,always hate to see stuff like this.

IDunknown
03-25-2012, 01:47 AM
if zimmerman gets off, then we all will have the right to chase any1 we want (if we think they are suspicious) and if they turn towards you and approaches you after you've been chasing them, then you have the right to shoot the person dead and claim self defense

Exactly.He approached Trayvon like he is a real law enforcement officer without the identification of one.Even if Trayvon did get aggressive he would in fact be the one defending himself.Zimmerman was just neighborhood watch keyword "watch".

IDunknown
03-25-2012, 01:54 AM
So if an actual cop were investigating something and a guy attacked him, he should get punished for protecting himself? Gotcha.

Zimmerman is not an actual cop though.The actual cops told him not to approach the kid.Trayvon was unarmed too.

The goods
03-25-2012, 01:54 AM
People have always hated cops. Deep down almost everyone hates them and it's sick.

Like ManRam said, he deserves to be tried. But some people take it way too far by saying "Cops suck" or "Cops are scum." It sickens me.

I hate when people blame the cops for their problems,"cops suck because they arrested my brother" well maybe if your brother wasn't selling drugs he wouldn't have gotten arrested, I hate to see my culture blinded by the fact that if they wouldn't commit a crime they wouldn't be in jail. Are their bad cops? Yes but not all in fact 90 percent of cops are ok its when you get an attitude and try to run is when they get mad then you want to scream bloody murder when they tackle you? GTF out of here.

I atleast trust the cops to do their job with this and figure out what really happened,if this guy just shot a kid for no reason he'll be in jail or it will be a HUGE riot.

IDunknown
03-25-2012, 02:19 AM
I hate when people blame the cops for their problems,"cops suck because they arrested my brother" well maybe if your brother wasn't selling drugs he wouldn't have gotten arrested, I hate to see my culture blinded by the fact that if they wouldn't commit a crime they wouldn't be in jail. Are their bad cops? Yes but not all in fact 90 percent of cops are ok its when you get an attitude and try to run is when they get mad then you want to scream bloody murder when they tackle you? GTF out of here.

I atleast trust the cops to do their job with this and figure out what really happened,if this guy just shot a kid for no reason he'll be in jail or it will be a HUGE riot.

I agree with you.I have a few cops in my family.They just do their job.

jammastershake
03-25-2012, 02:25 AM
First off, I will say say again that zimmerman should be arrested for the shooting. I also don't have a problem with martin wearing his hoodie that night because it was raining.

But, I will not partake in a "hoodie" protest, because I find hoodies to be one of the dumbest fashion trends in this country. Deal with it.

And I do believe Lebron is using this to garner good pr. Thats my opinion.

Cubby
03-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Zimmerman is not an actual cop though.The actual cops told him not to approach the kid.Trayvon was unarmed too.

Unarmed or not, he still allegedly attacked Zimmerman. If he is a neighborhood watchman he can be considered a cop in my opinion, if he is fighting crime so to speak.

Big Zo
03-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Unarmed or not, he still allegedly attacked Zimmerman. If he is a neighborhood watchman he can be considered a cop in my opinion, if he is fighting crime so to speak.

He was self-appointed. Not part of an organization.

cutiepie80
03-25-2012, 03:25 AM
The piece of **** should rot in **** for what he did.

But wow, Lebron and Wade are reaching out for this? Wow, my wife and I are too.

Marlin234
03-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Miami has very bipolar weather. One minute it's sunny. The next it's pouring rain with a black sky. The next day it's cold. We get quite a few Radom cold fronts and Orlando usually gets chilly

justinnum1
03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
The piece of **** should rot in **** for what he did.

But wow, Lebron and Wade are reaching out for this? Wow, my wife and I are too.

Did you participate in that chicago protest thing i read about?

gwrighter
03-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Why is your country so hostile? Shoot first, ask questions later is the motto down there.

& who gives a **** why he was wearing a sweater, it doesn't matter. Everybody is allowed to express themselves as they see fit so long as it doesn't hurt anybody else.

This is obviously a racial issue that needs to be tried harshly and Zimmerman needs to be made an example out of. Throw the man in jail for the rest of his life. That will send a message to all those gung-ho gun wielding idiots marching around their neighbourhoods trying to do the police's job.

JPS
03-25-2012, 12:11 PM
It is a shame that anyone gets shot and killed anywhere let alone a 17 year old kid. The fact that mob mentality has taken over this case and now we have to have polar sides right or wrong etc regarding the case is also a shame. I would like to actually see written reports from police before I start saying either one of the people involved is 100 percent right or wrong. most likely as in most cases neither was 100 percent right or wrong.

Overall none of you were there no one actually knows what happened that night except for the shooter. I would have liked to see the shooter at least taken into custody for questioning before it being declared self defense though if just for the pr of it.

As a white male I do get tired of the "police cover up" protecting the white guy stuff, but who knows that could actually be the case this time it could also not be the case. People being upset the kid got killed is understandable it doesn't mean the guy wasn't actually acting in self defense though.

Any thoughts on the $10,000.00 reward being offered by the new black panthers for someone to bring the guy to justice?

gotoHcarolina52
03-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Why is your country so hostile? Shoot first, ask questions later is the motto down there.

& who gives a **** why he was wearing a sweater, it doesn't matter. Everybody is allowed to express themselves as they see fit so long as it doesn't hurt anybody else.

This is obviously a racial issue that needs to be tried harshly and Zimmerman needs to be made an example out of. Throw the man in jail for the rest of his life. That will send a message to all those gung-ho gun wielding idiots marching around their neighbourhoods trying to do the police's job.

I understand your viewpoint and I sympathize with a great deal of it, but I vehemently resent the idea that law should be manipulated or used in order to "make an example out of" a particular person. Try the man as you would any other. No more, no less.

Blackwater13
03-25-2012, 12:15 PM

Obama is half white to but everyone considers him black. People pick the half they want to be or them to be depending on the situation.

save the knicks
03-25-2012, 12:27 PM
It is a shame that anyone gets shot and killed anywhere let alone a 17 year old kid. The fact that mob mentality has taken over this case and now we have to have polar sides right or wrong etc regarding the case is also a shame. I would like to actually see written reports from police before I start saying either one of the people involved is 100 percent right or wrong. most likely as in most cases neither was 100 percent right or wrong.

Overall none of you were there no one actually knows what happened that night except for the shooter. I would have liked to see the shooter at least taken into custody for questioning before it being declared self defense though if just for the pr of it.

As a white male I do get tired of the "police cover up" protecting the white guy stuff, but who knows that could actually be the case this time it could also not be the case. People being upset the kid got killed is understandable it doesn't mean the guy wasn't actually acting in self defense though.

Any thoughts on the $10,000.00 reward being offered by the new black panthers for someone to bring the guy to justice?

I agree 100%

This lynch mob mentality against Zimmerman is disgusting. The only reason this gets on TV is that it fits the narrative being pushed by cultural Marxists in the media. Everyone is jumping to conclusions. We have due process why not wait for that before raising tensions to race riot levels?

As for that black panther thing i dismiss it just like i dismiss white nationalists. They are clearly exploiting this kids death to further there political goals and swell there ranks with young, angry, ignorant blacks.

careful with your opinions though in today's world what you said will be misconstrued by many people as racist.

JPS
03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
As for celebrities taking sides on this I think it is irresponsible of all of them. If they are offering condolences to the family of the kid then thats understandable. But taking sides in an ongoing case with limited facts for PR is bad. It does happen all the time though the number of celebrities supporting cop killer Mumia whatever his name is is disgusting and ridiculous.

Big Zo
03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
As for celebrities taking sides on this I think it is irresponsible of all of them. If they are offering condolences to the family of the kid then thats understandable. But taking sides in an ongoing case with limited facts for PR is bad. It does happen all the time though the number of celebrities supporting cop killer Mumia whatever his name is is disgusting and ridiculous.

Sharing an opinion is irresponsible? Ok.

Master Mind
03-25-2012, 01:43 PM

"Self appointed"...They didn't ask him to do that. The dispatcher clearly tells him not to follow the boy, ---that's the Police's job---...Zimmerman instigated the whole thing, it's hard to defend him.

Master Mind
03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
The last thing we need is a bunch of batman's with 9mm guns making skewed judgement on fashion.

PlayDPlease
03-25-2012, 11:15 PM
So Trayvon was beating the crap out of Zimmerman? Or not?

justinnum1
03-25-2012, 11:40 PM
So Trayvon was beating the crap out of Zimmerman? Or not?

who knows, even so, you dont shoot someone, and zimmerman should have never approached him

Southsideheat
03-26-2012, 12:10 AM
I think the photoshoot was really cool and for a good cause, but if you're trying to win a championship, isn't a photoshoot the last thing on your mind to do? Just seems odd. Noah was right, they are Hollywood, nice guys but Hollywood. And the worst part is that I don't think they have a choice in the matter. We'll see if it matters in the playoffs.

Big Zo
03-26-2012, 01:07 AM
I think the photoshoot was really cool and for a good cause, but if you're trying to win a championship, isn't a photoshoot the last thing on your mind to do? Just seems odd. Noah was right, they are Hollywood, nice guys but Hollywood. And the worst part is that I don't think they have a choice in the matter. We'll see if it matters in the playoffs.

There are more important things in life than basketball. Seriously dude?

redwhitenblue
03-26-2012, 01:16 AM
There are more important things in life than basketball. Seriously dude?
And they're offering what to the family to assist in their legal endeavors?

They took a picture, that doesn't do/help anything really.

Big Zo
03-26-2012, 01:29 AM
And they're offering what to the family to assist in their legal endeavors?

They took a picture, that doesn't do/help anything really.

It spreads awareness, and shows support for the family. That ****er would get off free if it wasn't for the public outcry.