PDA

View Full Version : Sixers historically unclutch down the stretch

Chronz
03-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Rummaging through ESPN and I come across 2 Sixers articles. Since they are insider I wont post anything here but the information they give out is free for all.

Basically the Sixers win loss record isnt lining up with their expected win-loss record. They have the efficiency differentials of a 34-13 team, the 3rd best would be mark in the league and they sport the 4th highest SRS, yet they stand at 26-21.
They are behind the Hawks winning% despite the fact that they have held the opposition to 211 less PTS on the year and have scored just as effectively. This means they arent doing well in close games, and while people will point to their lack of go to star scorers, they would be focusing on the wrong end of the court. Its the defensive end where the Sixers completely fall apart, though I would agree their clutch offense is also predictable its partly a result of having a bad offense in general, they are suppose to be closing games out on defense but they cant.

Any Sixers followers care to comment on whos to blame? Clutch defense seems to be the trait that correlates most strongly year to year.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-23-2012, 01:05 PM
they beat the lakers in clutch this season

Chronz
03-23-2012, 01:12 PM
they beat the lakers in clutch this season
LOL that either says the Lakers are bad in the clutch or how inconsistent clutch can be.

Im wondering if this is a big deal to the Sixers, would you rather be the Hawks or the Sixers if the playoffs started today?

Kashmir13579
03-23-2012, 01:14 PM
LOL that either says the Lakers are bad in the clutch or how inconsistent clutch can be.

Im wondering if this is a big deal to the Sixers, would you rather be the Hawks or the Sixers if the playoffs started today?
Aren't the Lakers pretty awful in the "clutch", too? In passed years that has been the case.

sixer04fan
03-23-2012, 01:18 PM
We're 0-8 in games decided by 4 points or less this season.

We're 0-2 in overtime.

We're 2-14 in games decided by 7 points or less this season.

We're 4-16 in games that are within 5 points in the last 5 minutes.

We have the third best scoring differential in the league, yet are only 26-21...

:facepalm:

pd7631
03-23-2012, 01:23 PM
There are a couple reasons to point to our unbelievably frustrating struggles in crunch time(I hope nobody envies Sixer fans this year, it's not fun):

1.) Doug Collins, this has been going on not only this year, but last year as well. It's on him to make adjustments to get this figured out, and he has done nothing to change.

2.) Lou Williams-Jodie Meeks-Andre Iguodala-Thaddeus Young-Elton Brand, this is a typical lineup we use at the end of close games. Lou and Jodie are miserable defenders, and Thad and EB give up too much size. Meanwhile, two of our four best defenders in Jrue and ET are on the bench.

3.) No interior shot blocking presence. It's honestly insulting that Doug Collins and Rod Thorn couldn't get together and find a big man that can change game defensively. How they could not realize that the team desperately needs a player like that is beyond me.

Iodine
03-23-2012, 01:31 PM
This is some outliers ****. No team should be that awful finishing close games. But damn, thats rough for fans of the sixers

SMH!
03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
It's painful to watch

PhillyFaninLA
03-23-2012, 01:48 PM
We're 0-8 in games decided by 4 points or less this season.

We're 0-2 in overtime.

We're 2-14 in games decided by 7 points or less this season.

We're 4-16 in games that are within 5 points in the last 5 minutes.

We have the third best scoring differential in the league, yet are only 26-21...

:facepalm:

These type of things you are quoting are not unusual for young teams. If you look at this way and say we are 26-21 despite not finishing games, imagine what our young team will be when they get a little better and little more experienced. When Jrue Holiday and company learn how to finish games we could have something really special.

Chronz
03-23-2012, 02:03 PM
There are a couple reasons to point to our unbelievably frustrating struggles in crunch time(I hope nobody envies Sixer fans this year, it's not fun):

1.) Doug Collins, this has been going on not only this year, but last year as well. It's on him to make adjustments to get this figured out, and he has done nothing to change.

2.) Lou Williams-Jodie Meeks-Andre Iguodala-Thaddeus Young-Elton Brand, this is a typical lineup we use at the end of close games. Lou and Jodie are miserable defenders, and Thad and EB give up too much size. Meanwhile, two of our four best defenders in Jrue and ET are on the bench.

3.) No interior shot blocking presence. It's honestly insulting that Doug Collins and Rod Thorn couldn't get together and find a big man that can change game defensively. How they could not realize that the team desperately needs a player like that is beyond me.
Those are all great points, I wonder if Collins is aware of the pattern and does anything to alter the teams makeup at the end of close games because there cant be a lineup that produces any worse results .

Then again maybe he believes its all flukish

Hawkeye15
03-23-2012, 02:08 PM
This is some outliers ****. No team should be that awful finishing close games. But damn, thats rough for fans of the sixers

for sure. Law of averages will dictate you at least stay in range of your SRS. This is crazy as an outlier. I am sure at this point, the Sixers play not to lose instead of playing to win, it will happen when you drop so many close ones.

Raph12
03-23-2012, 02:15 PM

Depends on who I'm playing; Hawks play the Magic, who they matchup well with; Sixers are playing the Pacers, who they've split with... I'd rather be the Hawks.

Baller1
03-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Damn, I wasn't even aware.. That's brutal for Philly fans. I actually didn't even realize their record fell so quickly.

Swashcuff
03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Damn, I wasn't even aware.. That's brutal for Philly fans. I actually didn't even realize their record fell so quickly.

What hurts the most is that is isn't even just this season its been this way last season as well.

valade16
03-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I refuse to believe there is a team that plays worse down the stretch than my TrailBlazers...

h2r09
03-23-2012, 03:08 PM
its because they have nobody who can create offense for himself consistently, and its also why they won't win much in the playoffs. they need to trade some of their young talent for a star.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Aren't the Lakers pretty awful in the "clutch", too? In passed years that has been the case.

this season definetly

Chronz
03-23-2012, 03:44 PM
I refuse to believe there is a team that plays worse down the stretch than my TrailBlazers...

Thats another team that was just beyond belief, I put some money on them earlier this year because their record was so unworthy of their efficiency marks. I like the blow up if the pick turns out good but I think the team would have turned it around.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-23-2012, 03:44 PM
its because they have nobody who can create offense for himself consistently, and its also why they won't win much in the playoffs. they need to trade some of their young talent for a star.

this whole "kloser" thing is overrated...btw they have lou williams who can create every shot he wants to.

Chronz
03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
this whole "kloser" thing is overrated...btw they have lou williams who can create every shot he wants to.
Hollinger thinks they try to emphasize Lou Williams alittle too much in the clutch. They try to force the closer mentality in him. And while he has proven capable of scoring well (his usage increases and his TS% remains the same), his assisting% drops and the team offense sputters despite trying to field the teams best offensive lineup. This tells you that Louis aint creating enough, he has literally attempted 1 shot in the paint all year in what the nba defines as crunch time. That doesnt sound like someone the defense fears in the paint.

oak2455
03-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Keep it up Sixers!!!!!

valade16
03-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Thats another team that was just beyond belief, I put some money on them earlier this year because their record was so unworthy of their efficiency marks. I like the blow up if the pick turns out good but I think the team would have turned it around.

The entire Blazers season could've been so much different had Raymond Felton not come to "training" a fat****.

Baller1
03-23-2012, 06:29 PM
What hurts the most is that is isn't even just this season its been this way last season as well.

I legitimately had no clue. Weird.

PatsSoxKnicks
03-25-2012, 01:54 AM

The Sixers team is just full of outliers. In addition to their play in the clutch, their TOV% is an extreme outlier (in a good way though). And so is their ability to get to the free throw line, which is of course a bad outlier for them (their FT/FGA is horrible). However, I think its possible that last outlier is one of the problems they have in the clutch. They have no one who can get to the line, which makes scoring in crunch time even more difficult.