PDA

View Full Version : Melo poor D? Or lack of hustle??

nycsports2
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Looking at Melo's play over the course of the last few years, does anyone notice in big games especially in the playoffs his D elevates to a whole other level?? Is it just me or are you guys beginning to think he coasts through the season then turns it up later on just because he can get by with so much talent?? Discuss...

LongIslandIcedZ
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
He doesnt have the ideal attitude of someone I would want on my team. However, when he is motivated he can be a very good defender. I have been extremely impressed with his defense the last 5 games.

Edit- I thought this was in the Knicks forum lol

Rndy
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Lack of Hustle and the system he's been in for defense has been poor. With his athletic ability there is no reason he can't lock people down.

nycsports2
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
He doesnt have the ideal attitude of someone I would want on my team. However, when he is motivated he can be a very good defender. I have been extremely impressed with his defense the last 5 games.

Edit- I thought this was in the Knicks forum lol

i want too see what other fans think ino they dont watch him as much but evem in the playoffs last yr his d was excellent and in the run he made in denver

JLynn943
03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Looking at Melo's play over the course of the last few years, does anyone notice in big games especially in the playoffs his D elevates to a whole other level?? Is it just me or are you guys beginning to think he coasts through the season then turns it up later on just because he can get by with so much talent?? Discuss...

He coasts pretty much all the time. He has the capability to be an elite defender and has shown it occasionally, but he's very very rarely that motivated.

Even in the playoffs he doesn't necessarily try very hard. I will never forget his embarrassment of a performance in the 1st round of the playoffs against the Lakers a few years back. The Nuggets were slowly but surely falling further and further behind in one of the games. While Iverson, Kleiza, and Najera were playing their hearts out trying to win, Melo was slowly jogging up and down the court, laughing. If the playoffs aren't even enough motivation for him, I don't know what is.

nycsports2
03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
He coasts pretty much all the time. He has the capability to be an elite defender and has shown it occasionally, but he's very very rarely that motivated.

Even in the playoffs he doesn't necessarily try very hard. I will never forget his embarrassment of a performance in the 1st round of the playoffs against the Lakers a few years back. The Nuggets were slowly but surely falling further and further behind in one of the games. While Iverson, Kleiza, and Najera were playing their hearts out trying to win, Melo was slowly jogging up and down the court, laughing. If the playoffs aren't even enough motivation for him, I don't know what is.

true it just really upsets me.. ive been calling for mike woodson since game 5 of the season ive always loved the guy and know were always gonna be able too score weve got way too many weapons... hoping woodson can keep the fire lit and get in there faces and be intense like i thought he would its exactly what this team needs, dantoni was way too soft

LongIslandIcedZ
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I mean for the most part you can be an above average defender based on athletecism alone. Carmelo, and Amar'e too for that matter both have the athleticism and strength to be exceptional defenders. It's frustrating when guys have what it takes to be 2 way players, but they become complacent. Against Philly Amar'e came out and asked to cover Brand in the second half and he covered him really well. Its unfortunate when effort and mentality get in the way.

new york blue
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Melo is a mystery, perhaps even to himself. Clearly, his physical skills are great, and his commitment to D is at best intermittent. Hard to say what separates him from Lebron and others whose will to win is so great that they will make that commitment.

If anyone knows, could they please give MSG a call?

PhillyFaninLA
03-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Defense is about energy, heart, and effort.

Melo has the ability to be a really good defender but he stinks because of lack of effort and hustle on that end, Melo seems to only care about offense and that is why he isn't a good defender.

Ezio
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Defense is all about effort. So yes you can say "lack of hustle"

Kashmir13579
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Its lack of effort.

nycsports2
03-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Its lack of effort.

makes me wonder if hes championship material... wish we could take a piece of tysons heart and maybe shumps relentlesness and install that into some other players on the team... mainly melo amare i think just isnt a good defender his feet are all over the place on rebounding hes def lazy though minus the last 5 games or so

Chronz
03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
No, his defense is always ******, if it looks good in stretches thats because your looking at an awful defender. I would be more impressed if those stretches were dominant but its not like hes going out there and executing a defensive game plan to perfection, while keeping a star player at another position in check ala Bron or vintage Tmac.

ichitownclowni
03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
makes me wonder if hes championship material... wish we could take a piece of tysons heart and maybe shumps relentlesness and install that into some other players on the team... mainly melo amare i think just isnt a good defender his feet are all over the place on rebounding hes def lazy though minus the last 5 games or so

Becauase he is not

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
always been a pretty bad defender

Kashmir13579
03-23-2012, 01:12 PM
No, his defense is always ******, if it looks good in stretches thats because your looking at an awful defender. I would be more impressed if those stretches were dominant but its not like hes going out there and executing a defensive game plan to perfection, while keeping a star player at another position in check ala Bron or vintage Tmac.

But the physical potential is there. When it looks good in stretches its because he's actually asserting himself. When he's going hard-bodied his defense isn't ******. That obviously isn't something to write home about, though.

But i don't for a second think that late in an important game, he isn't capable of helping to get stops.

JLynn943
03-23-2012, 01:14 PM

I've seen him have dominant defensive performances. Not just in comparison to his typical play, but overall. They're just so few and far between that it seems like they never happen.

Jint.
03-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Dont poo poo Melo..!

torocan
03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I've seen him have dominant defensive performances. Not just in comparison to his typical play, but overall. They're just so few and far between that it seems like they never happen.

Agreed.

I know that one of George Karl's biggest complaints in Denver was his lack of consistency on the defensive end.

Some games he'd look very good, then other games like he didn't even care.

It's easy to say it's a lack of effort. One wonders if it was inability to maintain focus, or if there was other things going on in his head, or whether he gets lazy.

I wonder if part of it is that he is so talented. Sometimes those with the greatest gifts are the ones who underperform the most. They get used to coasting on their gifts, and are surprised when people who are less gifted end up more successful.

In Melo's case, I think his defensive inconsistency is entirely in his head. And until that gets straight, it will be awful hard for him to carry a team to a chip.

Chronz
03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
But the physical potential is there. When it looks good in stretches its because he's actually asserting himself. When he's going hard-bodied his defense isn't ******. That isn't something to write home about, though, obviously.
Look any player in the league could potentially improve, if your saying Melo stands out more than most, because he holds back the most on utilizing his athletic traits then Ill take your word for it and wait for the results.

Im just saying thats what supporters of bad defenders have been saying for years, that they have tools. Defense is about more than that, if a player doesnt have it mentally then hes not going to show any consistency, hes going to be a player that relies on his tools and has lapses. That doesnt mean hes always bad so maybe below average is the better term here but I wouldnt make too much out of those stretches.

Whats the most dominant defense you've seen from Melo in a big game? Whatever it took to get him there is what you need on the Knicks and then you hope his offense doesnt plunge. Ive seen Melo alot over the years. Im reluctant to believe, given the many roles hes been in, that he can just flip a switch. I think the reason he looks good in stretches is because thats what defenders of his ilk do.

All that said, there was a year in his career where he displayed passable defense. Coincidentally (or not) it was the only year in which Denver defended better with him in the lineup. But if thats the best we've seen from Melo then its a definite step up but he better have alot more left to show if he wants to be a good-great defender.

Chronz
03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
In a big game? Has he ever locked down for a series against a decent scorer? Has he defended various positions for the greater good of the team?

CudiOnMyiPod
03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
He sucks at D and he doesn't show effort either. Yeah that's someone I'm gonna give the max too and rely on to win a championship, let alone get out of the first round...

LOOTERX9
03-23-2012, 01:45 PM
mike dantoni did not force melo or amare or anyone to play Defense so why would the players really care? If a coach's whole philosophy does not include defense then don't expect the players to go the extra mile to exhaust energy to play it, it's common sense. Melo plays defense now cause the new coach woodson's philosophy is defense 1st, unlike dantoni's offense 1st. Do yall haters get it?

Punk
03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow these threads....

He's not LeBron. He doesn't have the psychical ability to play at 100% on a every night basis doing everything. Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul are notoriously known for costing through the regular season and turning it on in the playoffs.

His defense was incredibly underrated in many years with Denver. His "No D" reputation only popped up soon as the trade to the Knicks got finalized. Just like how LeBron's clutchness became more a factor as a Heat member and nobody cared when he couldn't do it with the Cavs.

He was injured alot this year, most of his career. So, this stretch has been the longest he has gone through without an injury of any kind which is how he can give 100% effort on both sides.

Raph12
03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
The Knicks have been damn good defensively this season, Melo has played better but it has been the whole team deciding to try and win with their defense... Woodson has done a good job.

SteveNash
03-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Both, banging against Kobe a few times in the playoffs doesn't make him a good defender.

Raidaz4Life
03-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Gotta Be Lack of Hustle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj23_nDFSfE)

AIRMAR72
03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Melo is lucky its not the NFL cause they would easily cutt him due his lack of EFFORT playing D its about effort and THE attitude wanting to stop the opposition at all cost within the rule but to be fair melo was NEVER a defensive minded player from day1

setman2000
03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah - he turns it up so much that he's only been out of the 1st round one time thanks to Chauncey.

Kashmir13579
03-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Look any player in the league could potentially improve, if your saying Melo stands out more than most, because he holds back the most on utilizing his athletic traits then Ill take your word for it and wait for the results.

I never said there would be results. I do think that he stands out as holding back the most. The ability is there when he rarely asserts himself. Thats what angers me.

I guess the same thing could also be said of a lot of players on a lot of teams, but 'Melo is clearly more athletic than most.

TheNumber37
03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
I've seen him turn it up. but regardless.his transition d is suspect... I don't know how many.times.he's the first guy back on the break.and he gets.finished on... its crazy, cause I always.think... lebron woulda.blocked.that.

Bornknick73
03-23-2012, 08:23 PM
i want too see what other fans think ino they dont watch him as much but evem in the playoffs last yr his d was excellent and in the run he made in denver

Why would you come here and ask such a question? You know what the answers gonna be. "He sucks" "Hes over rated" "Hes soft" Blah blah blah....

You guys really need to stop posting this nonsense.

PhillyFaninLA
03-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Why would you come here and ask such a question? You know what the answers gonna be. "He sucks" "Hes over rated" "Hes soft" Blah blah blah....

You guys really need to stop posting this nonsense.

You need to stop drinking the Kool Aid for a minute and unbiased look at your player.

ManningToTyree
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Anyone who doesn't play D, it is due to lack of effort.

ragee
03-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Turns it up in the playoffs? Is that based on all previous playoff performance or just last year? If it is with the days he played as a Nugget, I strongly disagree. He is not only a bad defender, he also is too focused on offense and does not give a **** on playing D. That's why I started disliking the guy in the first place. I remember that time where the Nuggets played the Lakers in the playoffs and he started yelling at George Karl telling him off for apparently giving up on the series but if you watch the game closely, you will notice that he was the one who gave up on defense just letting Kobe do his thing.

Sactown
03-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Melo is just another player who believes he's a superstar when he isn't... He's just a more consistent JR Smith... Both believe they're better than they are, and are both just as likely to shoot yourself out of a game rather than in..

justinnum1
03-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Melo is just another player who believes he's a superstar when he isn't... He's just a more consistent JR Smith... Both believe they're better than they are, and are both just as likely to shoot yourself out of a game rather than in..

good point

JordansBulls
03-26-2012, 04:52 PM

I don't think he he coasts in the season, he plays d when he wants to.

He115ing
03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
How did you join in 2010 have 1000+ posts and still listed as a registered user. Personal sig or are you a hack?

shep33
03-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I love Melo, but it's an effort issue.

I want everyone to look at this video if they have time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO2ZEvOkS4I

Forward to about 1:48

Look at his effort on that closeout, it literally takes him like 4 seconds to run and pick up a wide open Derozan. Then his closeout is completely useless because he wasn't trying.

Again, I'm a fan of his, but this is inexcusable. Maybe he was hurt or something, but I mean your a superior athlete and I can pick up Derozan faster than that.

Defense is about effort more so then technique. I've seen him do this so many times.

NoahH
03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
He just doesn't try. period.

NoahH
03-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Look at his effort on that closeout, it literally takes him like 4 seconds to run and pick up a wide open Derozan. Then his closeout is completely useless because he wasn't trying.

Again, I'm a fan of his, but this is inexcusable. Maybe he was hurt or something, but I mean your a superior athlete and I can pick up Derozan faster than that.

Defense is about effort more so then technique. I've seen him do this so many times.

NICE CLOSE OUT!!! Hahahaha

shep33
03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
It's all effort honestly. I've seen him play great defense before believe it or not. Just doesn't try sometimes which is strange.

Birdmannn
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
He saves all his energy for when he has the ball.

shep33
03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
NICE CLOSE OUT!!! Hahahaha

I know it was really bad... he might as well not have even crossed half if he was going to do that.

But again, it's all effort for Melo really.

xxplayerxx23
03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
he is average defensevly, Has the abilty to shut people down, In the playoffs he gives sold effort

SteveNash
03-26-2012, 06:06 PM

That's bad effort, technique, and team defense.

Valkyrie
03-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Melo is more like the pillsbury dough boy than a lock down defender.

blahblahyoutoo
03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I mean for the most part you can be an above average defender based on athletecism alone. Carmelo, and Amar'e too for that matter both have the athleticism and strength to be exceptional defenders. It's frustrating when guys have what it takes to be 2 way players, but they become complacent. Against Philly Amar'e came out and asked to cover Brand in the second half and he covered him really well. Its unfortunate when effort and mentality get in the way.

Melo has never been athletic.
Worse yet, he's a fat toad now.