PDA

View Full Version : Larry King Says Howard OK'd Nets Trade, but "Change of Heart" Kept Him with Magic

D Roses Bulls
03-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Maybe not a surprise to most of you all. When you think about it, he really did screw the Nets. made them think he was gonna force his way there and then change his mind last second and now the Nets might lose D Wil as well.

The Dwightmare ended, temporarily, one week ago Thursday as Dwight Howard agreed, in writing, to forego free agency in 2012 and remain with the Orlando Magic through the 2012/13 season. As a result, the six-time All-Star won't hit free agency until July 1st, 2013. But former talk-show host Larry King added a bit of intrigue to the story in a tweet to his 2.2 million followers late Wednesday.

"You read it here," King said. "Dwight Howard had agreed to be traded to the Nets, but had a last minute change of heart and stayed with the Magic." In subsequent tweets, the veteran newsman declined to reveal his source and said "if Dwight wants to comment, I can't tell Dwight what to say."

The Nets, which are set to move to King's hometown of Brooklyn for the 2012/13 season, were among the teams to which Howard requested a trade during training camp, and a report in Monday's New York Post indicated New Jersey and Orlando had agreed to terms on a Howard trade before Howard made the crucial to waive the Early Termination Option in his contract. At that point, the Magic called the trade off. Had Howard not waived his ETO, he would have been free to leave Orlando as an unrestricted free agent in July.

The NBA's trade deadline was last Thursday. Orlando secured Howard's future for the time being, but made no other moves that day.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2012/3/22/2892992/dwight-howard-rumors-larry-king-nets-magic-trade-twitter

netsgiantsyanks
03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
oh. cool. this definitely matters now.

chicagocubsfan
03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
They should have a 2 Hour Special on CNN called the Indecision.

shep33
03-22-2012, 10:46 AM
This must be killing Nets fans. "Indecision 2012"

oak2455
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Larry the Cable guy said the samething......wow!!!!!

justinnum1
03-22-2012, 11:14 AM
not a surprise at all...everyone knew this, even incracerated bob could have called this one

Iceman05
03-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Screwed them huh? So everytime a FA uses another team as leverage to get a better deal, the team that loses out is screwed over by the player?

Its basically the same thing. The F-ing entitlement you NJ/NY fans have is just sickening.

PlezPlayDKnicks
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
D12 is responsible of the murder of chillwill....

waveycrockett
03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Screwed them huh? So everytime a FA uses another team as leverage to get a better deal, the team that loses out is screwed over by the player?

Its basically the same thing. The F-ing entitlement you NJ/NY fans have is just sickening.

What? You do realize Howard was going to get the max no matter what right? Saying he used the Nets as leverage to get more money is plain stupid considering the Magic have paid Max dollars to Rashard Lewis and Gilbert Arenas.

ElFuturoDeESPN
03-22-2012, 12:45 PM

I <3 this. Spot-on, ol' boy.

jmoney85
03-22-2012, 12:47 PM
its not really a big deal... he didnt want the magic fans to hate him.... if he was traded during the offseason it would have been easier but they are 3rd in the east right now... its tough to turn that down

He115ing
03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Howard is worse than Melo

smith&wesson
03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
how would he have justified being on a good playoff team to going to a team thats not making the playoffs at all.

valade16
03-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Dwight Howard needs leverage to get a better deal? :confused:

JordansBulls
03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
He didn't go because the Nets were already 8 games out of the 8th spot. It would have been silly to go to a team that is out of the playoffs when you are in the 3rd spot right now.

jmoney85
03-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I think the magic deal him in the offseason... maybe on draft night... the opt in was assurance that they can make a run this season while still being able to get value for him in the offseason instead of him leaving for nothing

5ass
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Maybe not a surprise to most of you all. When you think about it, he really did screw the Nets. made them think he was gonna force his way there and then change his mind last second and now the Nets might lose D Wil as well.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2012/3/22/2892992/dwight-howard-rumors-larry-king-nets-magic-trade-twitter

the nets knew what they were getting into as soon as they traded for dwill. they knew the risks involved, and they knew they were taking a gamble. sometimes u win sometimes u lose. i dont think any1 is to blame here other than the nets management and owners, u cant blame dwight, thats like playing poker and blaming the cards when u lose.

KnicksR4Real
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
bahahahahaha

D Roses Bulls
03-22-2012, 08:12 PM
the nets knew what they were getting into as soon as they traded for dwill. they knew the risks involved, and they knew they were taking a gamble. sometimes u win sometimes u lose. i dont think any1 is to blame here other than the nets management and owners, u cant blame dwight, thats like playing poker and blaming the cards when u lose.

I'm not just blaming him. I mean I blame the nets mostly for being so freakin stupid and riding on getting him, but it must of just sucked for the Nets to have an agreement and all a sudden Howard says I'm staying at the last minute. trust me, I'm glad he stayed, I like the Magic. They are my second team.

Mr Costanza
03-22-2012, 08:16 PM

Best sig on psd bar none.

5ass
03-22-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not just blaming him. I mean I blame the nets mostly for being so freakin stupid and riding on getting him, but it must of just sucked for the Nets to have an agreement and all a sudden Howard says I'm staying at the last minute. trust me, I'm glad he stayed, I like the Magic. They are my second team.
ya the nets wanted to be more like new york and miami than actually building there team through the draft. I dont blame them it seemed to be working for a while.

5ass
03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Best sig on psd bar none.

he's one sexy mofo, just like george costanza

C_Mund
03-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I think the magic deal him in the offseason... maybe on draft night... the opt in was assurance that they can make a run this season while still being able to get value for him in the offseason instead of him leaving for nothing

That's exactly what I thought. There's no way he wanted to leave Orlando but the only way the Magic would be able to get anything back is with the assurance that he'd be there for at least a year to see what he could do.
....but I hope they trade him anywhere else. It would show him that he doesn't have all the power in the world to force a trade to where he wants, whenever he wants to go there.

blastmasta26
03-22-2012, 08:33 PM

This post makes absolutely no sense. Dwight was not a FA, and leverage is completely irrelevant in this discussion. He is still on the same contract and would get a max deal regardless, this situation had no bearing whatsoever on his next contract financially speaking.

The Nets took a huge risk with the Deron Williams trade, but entitlement doesn't apply here. Dwight made it known that he wanted (at the time) to go to the Nets at any cost, whether via trade or free agency. Many people thought Dwight was bound to be a Net, so entitlement is not the case. So Dwight kinda did screw over the Nets by being so indecisive and not making his intentions clear until the trade deadline was imminent.

NYsFinest
03-22-2012, 08:39 PM

Im guessing you also think they are going to trade him for:

Brook Lopez - A restricted free agent that has played 4 games and grabbed 13 rebounds in the past 12 months, but will still get a decent amount of money just because he is a center. Still hasn't shown he can rebound or stay healthy (got this mysterious "ankle" sprain 3 weeks ago, yet he is still walking around in a boot) at this point. Any GM that gives him an extension is gambling with his career.

Gerald Wallace - a 30 year old SF that depended on his declining athleticism in his prime on a 1 year 10 million dollar expiring contract.

2013 first round pick - which will be in the 25-30 range after a full season of Deron and Howard.

Marshon Brook's value is in the toilet as well. Averaging 10 ppg on 40% shooting while playing terrible defense. And at 23 years old really starting to look like the next Jordan Crawford/Nick Young and that he deserved to get picked 25th.

Who else Farmar?! Petro?!! Humphries after he gets a decent raise?! :puke:

Have to remember that unlike last year, this year the Nets have ZERO leverage over the Magic because if they resign Deron and Brook, they will no longer have cap space to threaten the Magic with in the summer of 2013. Hence, if the Magic decide they need to trade Howard, they can get MUCH more attractive pieces from teams who are no longer worried that Howard can go to the Nets in the summer.

Sorry pal unless Stern rigs the lottery and gives the Nets the 1st pick this year, the Howard to Nets dream is DEAD.

        
03-22-2012, 09:27 PM
New Jersey Nets get screwed by "The Decision 2010" and then get screwed by
"The Indecision 2012" :laugh2:

Gram
03-22-2012, 09:39 PM
"The Indecision 2012" :laugh2:

:laugh:

smiddy012
03-22-2012, 09:46 PM
I could see DWill joining Orlando next year... now that would make the East a hella lot more interesting...

Raps18-19 Champ
03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
He didn't go because the Nets were already 8 games out of the 8th spot. It would have been silly to go to a team that is out of the playoffs when you are in the 3rd spot right now.

If his reason was he wanted to win, he didn't have to troll everyone.

So clearly, him wanting a trade was something other than winning.

kenzo400
03-23-2012, 02:41 AM
He didn't owe the Nets anything. How the hell did he screw them over?

Rockice_8
03-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Not that I care anymore but "change of heart" my ***. Guy pussed out cause he didn't want to be the bad guy its as simple as that, Dwight has no balls. Lebron took his punches and now is playing for rings, Dwight pussed out and now can rot in Orlando playing for second round exits. They're over the cap for the next 2-3 years have fun with that.

oak2455
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
D12 pussed out.. he could've played in a new shiny arena .... Damn you Dwight !!!

Iceman05
03-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Dwight Howard needs leverage to get a better deal? :confused:

Im not talking about money in this case. Its just similar to that situation.

He wants better players. And he constantly threatens the FO that he will leave for NJ if they dont add the guys he wants.

NJ was nothing more than a pawn, and that basically happens everyday in sports. And no one feels bad for the other teams that have been "screwed over" in the past.

Lindystud36
03-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Nets will make the trade for Dwight in the off season
Dwight gets to play the rest of the year, make the playoffs
Than he will force a trade for Brook Lopex, Marshon Brooks and a Pick
This time now, New Jersey will have a top three pick, to team with Deron, Crash and Dwight

You Know dwight is watching Kentucky right now, waiting for MKG to come out or Austin Rivers to shoot three's and space the floor for him

netsgiantsyanks
03-23-2012, 10:53 AM
i absolutely love this forum.

sarcasm

Lindystud36
03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
i absolutely love this forum.

sarcasm

I seriously believe he stayed in Orlando for the playoffs, what good is he to Addidas if he is home on his couch.

The trade happens this summer, allows Dwight to get his bird rights with the Nets.

Oldmantrash
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM

you have no idea what you are talking about.

How Do Nets fans have entitlement.

We never get anyone.

That is the most rediculous statement i ever heard.

His agent told out front office he wanted to go there, so they prepared for that. if he would have signed that opt in earlier, we could have moved on.

D12 fan
03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
The only way Dwight ends up on the Nets is if Brooklyn win the lottery and draft Anthony Davis,then package him with Lopez and Brooks for Dwight.

Davis,Lopez,Brooks for Dwight.

Anything could happen you know David Stern would like to go out with a bang,you know he would love Dwight in Brooklyn.=More money for NBA.

bronxbomba26
03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Bottom line is when you spend the ENTIRE season demanding a trade to the Nets you would think that eventually he will get traded to the Nets. Then all of a sudden at 1 AM on the day of the trade deadline you get interviewed and change your mind and say you wanna stay. Don't you think that's a little messed up? Yes, he did screw the Nets extremely. I don't see how he didn't. He was practically a Net on so many occasions.

The worst part about it is the fact that he didn't get bashed at all by the media. Lebron has a freakin TV show to decide where he's going and he gets killed. Tebow goes back and forth between the Jets and the Broncos all day the other day and the media is going nuts. Dwight Howard all season says he wants out and to go to the Nets and then at the last minute doesn't and it's barely talked about. SMH

kpjets
03-23-2012, 11:41 AM
billy king

jmoney85
03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Im guessing you also think they are going to trade him for:

Brook Lopez - A restricted free agent that has played 4 games and grabbed 13 rebounds in the past 12 months, but will still get a decent amount of money just because he is a center. Still hasn't shown he can rebound or stay healthy (got this mysterious "ankle" sprain 3 weeks ago, yet he is still walking around in a boot) at this point. Any GM that gives him an extension is gambling with his career.

Gerald Wallace - a 30 year old SF that depended on his declining athleticism in his prime on a 1 year 10 million dollar expiring contract.

2013 first round pick - which will be in the 25-30 range after a full season of Deron and Howard.

Marshon Brook's value is in the toilet as well. Averaging 10 ppg on 40% shooting while playing terrible defense. And at 23 years old really starting to look like the next Jordan Crawford/Nick Young and that he deserved to get picked 25th.

Who else Farmar?! Petro?!! Humphries after he gets a decent raise?! :puke:

Have to remember that unlike last year, this year the Nets have ZERO leverage over the Magic because if they resign Deron and Brook, they will no longer have cap space to threaten the Magic with in the summer of 2013. Hence, if the Magic decide they need to trade Howard, they can get MUCH more attractive pieces from teams who are no longer worried that Howard can go to the Nets in the summer.

Sorry pal unless Stern rigs the lottery and gives the Nets the 1st pick this year, the Howard to Nets dream is DEAD.

and this isnt baiting?... where did I say anything about the nets trading for him?

oak2455
03-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Nets' Brook Lopez out two weeks

didn't deserve a thread ....

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7727475/new-jersey-nets-brook-lopez-two-more-weeks-ankle-injury

Raph12
03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Dwight didn't owe the Nets anything; if they're really smart, they'll clear as much cap as possible for the 2013 year of FAs (D12, CP3, Monta, JSmoove, etc)... If DWill leaves they need to start getting ready for 2013.

LOOTERX9
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Howard is a b****

SportsAndrew25
03-23-2012, 03:16 PM
"The Indecision 2012" :laugh2::laugh:

JordansBulls
03-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Doesn't matter now.