PDA

View Full Version : Events leading up to The Booing of the Lacob

asandhu23
03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7714701/how-annoy-fan-base-60-easy-steps

By Bill Simmons. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuge article.

RDBK514
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow, I just sat there and read the whole thing, and just WOW. This is a tossup between Portland and GS for who has the worst luck. Some things were just bad management, but most of it were just draft picks who didn't work out. The draft is a crap shoot.

king4day
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
I didn't have time to read it all but for what I did read, it's a good article. Good points made.

He115ing
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Wow, I did not realize that The Warriors have been so horrible all these years and I thought it sucked being a Knicks fan...

asandhu23
03-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Shows you why they are booing. This season is another season lost.

tredigs
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Wow, I did not realize that The Warriors have been so horrible all these years and I thought it sucked being a Knicks fan...

But that's New York, more is expected from that metropolis as it pertains to sports. The Warriors have been both unlucky and made poor decisions, but given the Knicks city and expectations, they to me are the biggest disappointments in national sports history.

As for this article, no time to read it now, but I'll check it out later. I'm sure it's good.

But I can tell you for a fact that the bottom line is that they booed because we have been perennial disappointments for as long as I can remember (save for "We Believe" and the Run TMC years), and the fans were somehow expecting an overnight change once new management/coaching came in (and they promised as much - that's on them). Now that they traded the most popular player and essentially threw this season away (in a terrific move), it was time for the boo birds to fly. Had we not been having an absolutely terrible first half offensively (scoring 35 points, worse of the year), and Lacob not played to the crowd very weakly once a small faction began to light him up, then it would have just passed over quickly. But once the boos start raining it just becomes a mob effect, and that's what happened.

Anyway, they had a right to boo. But it was still in terrible taste to choose Mully's jersey retirement for it.

Looking forward to next season where we can look back and eventually laugh at this. If the cards fall right (and I think they have a good chance of falling right at this point), we're going to be a force as soon as next season.

Warriors fans who bood are just being short-sighted and failing to realize that this is NOT a season "lost", and in fact we are potentially gaining (some of it through subtraction) the most we have in 20+ years.

KnicksorBust
03-21-2012, 02:42 PM
My favorite brutal fact: The Warriors have been in 16 of 17 draft lotteries.

Ouch.

Monta is beast
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Like I said, venting 35 years of frustration. It was just really bad timing.

Raph12
03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Well atleast they had Wilt right? :hide:

Hawkeye15
03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
read the article word for word. I knew the Warriors history was bad, but damn, I would have booed his *** too.

tredigs
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM
My favorite brutal fact: The Warriors have been in 16 of 17 draft lotteries.

Ouch.

Word, that's weak. Unfortunately their pre-draft position has either stayed the same or moved down every year for the last 15+ seasons, resulting in no top 5 picks this decade other than Mike Dunleavy with the #3 pick in a pretty weak draft outside of Yao Ming (a draft where we were set to have the #1 pick and got bumped down 2 slots).

Hopefully they finally luck out with the ping pong balls for a change. That's often the only way to truly change the tide of a franchise. Unless you have a GM willing to make savvy moves and take it from there (see: this year).

read the article word for word. I knew the Warriors history was bad, but damn, I would have booed his *** too.

Why boo HIM, other than to vent in some strange way though? He bought the franchise this year and has made - in my opinion - THE best move we could have asked for (including the tanking in order to try to secure the top 7 pick. Especially if they parlary that with the 1st round pick we got from San Antonio to move up to the top 3... if we don't luck out and get there). Went from the SAME story this year + no chance at any draft pick this off-season to having a top 2-5 center next year - yes if healthy - and potentially two first round picks, one lottery). Awesome.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Word, that's weak. Unfortunately their pre-draft position has either stayed the same or moved down every year for the last 15+ seasons, resulting in no top 5 picks this decade other than Mike Dunleavy with the #3 pick in a pretty weak draft outside of Yao Ming (a draft where we were set to have the #1 pick and got bumped down 2 slots).

Hopefully they finally luck out with the ping pong balls for a change. That's often the only way to truly change the tide of a franchise. Unless you have a GM willing to make savvy moves and take it from there (see: this year).

welcome to a Wolves fans world. I am sure now that the Wolves don't have their pick this year, it will jump from #12 to #2 though...

Sly Guy
03-21-2012, 03:27 PM
wow, excellent read. I had no idea as to the sheer number of bad deals they've made. I knew of some of these, but wow.