PDA

View Full Version : Shaka Smart to UCONN?

nymetsrule
03-20-2012, 11:49 PM
I think it is going to happen if Calhoun retires. Kevin Ollie is set to be the next on the thrown, but I have a weird itch in my lower region telling me that if Calhoun does retire...UCONN makes an offer to Smart.

CubbieSteve
03-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Not if he goes to Illinois first, Robert.

Corey
03-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Betcha he stays at VCU.

He has always said its not about the money or the prestige, it's about where his family feels comfortable.

Quotes from his interview on the DP show:

Because I love it here. My wife loves it here. We have players we really enjoy being around. Somebody said once that you shouldn't run away from happiness. That's some advice I took.

If the motivation was financial, I certainly would have left. If you ask any coach around the country why they got into coaching, I think very few of them would say it was for the money. If I ever got to the point where I was scared [opportunities] might not be there in the future, then I probably shouldn't be doing this because you never want to make a decision out of fear.

DP: You must have heard the rumors about you and the Illinois vacancy. How long is your contract?

SS: Eight years.

DP: Eight years with an out?

SS: That's the nature of contracts in sports. But I love it here. I'm locked into our team.

NateyB24
03-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Not if he goes to Illinois first, Robert.

I think Illinois as well.

metsfaninSTL
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
He will stay at VCU but if he does leave it will be to Illinois

Bravo95
03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah, unless the Huskies throw a ridiculous number at him, Illinois seems like a better fit. The Big 10 is probably the best men's bball conference right now, with an impressive group of coaches -- more attractive than the Big East (esp with Syracuse and Pitt leaving).

croce_99
03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
He turned down the Illinois job and it was reported at 3 million a YEAR.

Damn.

VRP723
03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Throne*, not thrown.

croce_99
03-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Throne*, not thrown.

Nice. I read right over that and didn't even notice it.

CubbieSteve
03-21-2012, 05:29 PM
He turned down the Illinois job and it was reported at 3 million a YEAR.

Damn.

Yeah, I read from somebody that the offer got as high as 8 years, $24 million.

Guess he loves it at VCU. But I'll laugh when he fails to make the tournament in back to back years and nobody even remembers who he is.

Corey
03-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Because that's something to laugh at :rolleyes:

He's a great coach. I respect the hell out of him for choosing to stay where he feels comfortable, showing loyalty to the school where he signed his long term deal.

CubbieSteve
03-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Oh I'll laugh Corey, I'll laugh

Corey
03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Dont you respect him for staying where he is though? You dont really see that in sports today. I really appreciate when guys are fine with a bit less money to stay where they signed their contract.

He's done WORK at VCU, making a nothing school into a legit program. Bigger jobs will always be there for him if he decides to move on. I love the loyalty from his side.