PDA

View Full Version : Mike D'Antoni expects to coach next season, Clippers a possibility

Fresno
03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
But D’Antoni is not bitter he lost a power struggle with Anthony and hopes to coach next season, according to the person debriefed by D’Antoni.

Some team should hire D’Antoni next season. But that comes with a caveat — you have to get players that fit the system. If you hire D’Antoni, you have to get him a point guard who can run the offense, bigs who are strong in the pick-and-roll (or pick-and-pop) and good shooters to space the floor.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/mike-dantoni-wants-to-return-to-coaching-next-season/

If Vinny Del Negro can't right the ship in LA, expect to hear Mike D'Antoni's name connected to that gig. Personnel fits his style.
http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisMannixSI/status/181847204548448256

Clippers are a perfect fit for D'Antoni's system.

sixer04fan
03-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Is VDN doing a bad job? Is there any talk of him losing his job? I thought all was well in Clipperland...

Raps18-19 Champ
03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
So they still wanna lose?

Kashmir13579
03-19-2012, 06:28 PM
OMG. This would be unreal for the Clippers. My only thing is, if you're gonna go all-in with D'antoni, GO ALL-IN. Find shooters and defenders who will spread the floor and fit his system well. It could be scary if they did it right.

Chris Paul and D'antoni are a match made in heaven.

uprightciti
03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
he should coach the timberwolves

him and ricky rubio, kevin love and who every they draft (likely a shooter) would be great

i would put them at a 7 seed

Evolution23
03-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Curious to hear what every one else says about this move.

John Walls Era
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
he should coach the timberwolves

him and ricky rubio, kevin love and who every they draft (likely a shooter) would be great

i would put them at a 7 seed

Adelman is a way better coach than Mike Antoni.

SteveNash
03-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Is VDN doing a bad job? Is there any talk of him losing his job? I thought all was well in Clipperland...

He's VDN, he's always doing a bad job.

Weezy
03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Adelman is a way better coach than Mike Antoni.

Haha yep but clippers would be an interesting option.....

NYtilIdie
03-19-2012, 08:36 PM
If they hire Mike, Griffin's defense is going to become even more atrocious.

EnWhyKay
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
If they Hire Mike DeAndre will find himself in the Dog House because he can't shoot.. Smh.. They won't play defense and CP3's knees will start to creek since they will run up and down the court 755754647575 times a game smh...

Method28
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM

he is doing a horrid job. I.expect him gone after this year regardless.

Meatmypet
03-19-2012, 09:37 PM
I hope D'Antoni gets the job. CP3 will be his Nash as Blake will be his Amare.

roshan3ai
03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Mike would make that squad score 100+ every night. Best PG in the league plus a great finisher at the rim and solid role players. That's scary in a D'Antoni scheme

ManningToTyree
03-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Chris Paul could actually make Pringles look good like Nash used to. If he is going to coach anywhere, that is a good a fit as any. I hope Clippers fans are not wishing for this though. Even if it works out perfectly, you can't win a title with his system. Oh and any hopes of Blake devolping defensively go out the window.

lakersfan01
03-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Haha I hope that happens. Blake Griffin can be D'Antoni's new Amare... No D :p

The thing about little brothers, they're always the little brother.

RC3
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Clippers should not hire him. He may give them 60 wins. But d'antoni won't give them a championship.

He will get outcoached and outsmarted by the other coaches. He is a master of panic. Plus, you will have dan d'antoni and phil weber as assistant coaches.

KnicksR4Real
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Hope the best for the guy. Sorry things couldn't workout in NY

Cal827
03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah Del Negro is terrible. I think me after snorting some coke, taking some acid, hotboxing with Cheech, Chong, and CousinsEvansDuo, and eating everything off the Mcdonald's menu would be able to coach better than him.

Not exactly sure if D'Antoni is right though... their problems are on the defensive end.

5ass
03-19-2012, 10:27 PM
why didnt any1 praise d'antoni when the knicks were playing Lin and the bench when half the team was down? They were playing good defense then.

xILLN355
03-19-2012, 10:30 PM
clippers should go after jerry sloan

NYsFinest
03-19-2012, 10:42 PM
now that d antoni is not with the knicks... i cant wait until people start saying what a great coach he is and how the knicks blew it by letting him go.

mdm692
03-19-2012, 10:43 PM
I hope so. This only helps the other teams in the division including my suns.

mdm692
03-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Haha I hope that happens. Blake Griffin can be D'Antoni's new Amare... No D :p

The thing about little brothers, they're always the little brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfhZx2rs65A

with all the athletic tools you would think he would at least jump and try to block. All he did was raise his hand and jump about 5 inches off the ground. =/

5ass
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfhZx2rs65A

with all the athletic tools you would think he would at least jump and try to block. All he did was raise his hand and jump about 5 inches off the ground. =/

my theory is he works so hard on offense, gets hacked and fouled a lot, he doesnt put in the necessary energy to play defense. Although its not an excuse.

Losoway
03-19-2012, 11:16 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

mike d antoni should never have a job again smh

Sadds The Gr8
03-19-2012, 11:21 PM
he should go to Lob City

Gram
03-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah Del Negro is terrible. I think me after snorting some coke, taking some acid, hotboxing with Cheech, Chong, and CousinsEvansDuo, and eating everything off the Mcdonald's menu would be able to coach better than him.

Not exactly sure if D'Antoni is right though... their problems are on the defensive end.

CousinsEvansDuo jokes. PSD's version of racist jokes. <3

Fresno
03-19-2012, 11:24 PM
he should go to Lob City

No more Lobs.

3's all game long.

Cal827
03-19-2012, 11:27 PM
CousinsEvansDuo jokes. PSD's version of racist jokes. <3

:laugh: Right on the money Gram.

davids22
03-20-2012, 12:35 AM
The Milwaukee BUCKS should get him. Chance the philosophy of our franchise from defense to run and gun offense. It's what makes sense with Jennings and Monta. We need a better down low post presence, but Gooden is a big body that can spread the floor.

Seriously, it's a thread in the Bucks forum where people have talked about it. Not that Milwaukee would ever give up on Skiles, but idk how you can play Scott Skiles ball with Jennings and Monta both starting.

OA SLAY
03-20-2012, 12:48 AM
an NBA team?.... ahhh NAW!
Maybe he should start at the middle school level first.

OA SLAY
03-20-2012, 12:49 AM
How can anyone realisticly like this guy?
C'mon?

NetsPaint
03-20-2012, 12:53 AM
They might miss the Playoffs if they get D'Antoni as the head coach.

OA SLAY
03-20-2012, 01:03 AM
They might miss the Playoffs if they got D'Antoni as the head coach.

They miss the playoffs this year if he started today!!!
No player let alone team is gonna play for this fool.

Sly Guy
03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Chris Paul could actually make Pringles look good like Nash used to. If he is going to coach anywhere, that is a good a fit as any. I hope Clippers fans are not wishing for this though. Even if it works out perfectly, you can't win a title with his system. Oh and any hopes of Blake devolping defensively go out the window.

pretty much sums up exactly what I as going to say.

CostanzaNumba0
03-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Mike D reminds me of Herm Edwards, both nice guys that players like that have no clue how to operate important aspects of the game

blastmasta26
03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Chris Paul would be nasty under a D'Antoni system. Of course, defense would be an issue but maybe hiring a defensive assistant will remedy that. Seemed to work for the Knicks when Melo was out, Linsanity was in full swing, and the team was playing with great camraderie on both ends of the floor.

D12 fan
03-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I can see Orlando going after him if they don't make it to the ECF this year.SVG is a great coach but his 4out 1in offense is not going to win Championships.Maybe Orlando can sign Steve Nash to the vet min.

Nash
Jrich
Turk
Anderson
Dwight

Da Knicks
03-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Called it in the knicks forum a while back, i agree cp3 and d'antoni would do good together just dont get him a back to the basket player because then he will be lost coaching.

raidersrock99
03-20-2012, 02:40 PM
clippers are like a 4/5 seedidk why they would fire the coach

Meatmypet
03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
clippers are like a 4/5 seedidk why they would fire the coach

Because they can be the 2-3 seeds like the Phoenix days.

Meatmypet
03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
How can anyone realisticly like this guy?
C'mon?

Just because it didn't work out for him in NY due to the players he had doesn't mean he's not wanted anywhere.

He coached over 56 players in 3 1/2 seasons as a coach. That's historical numbers for any coach. Then to top things off, he never got the players he wanted; Melo this season didn't buy into his system; players never developed that kind of chemistry needed.

I personally hope he replaces VDN and bring the Clippers deep into the playoffs.

BradfordIsElite
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
He'd have a chance to revamp his career after how things just ended in NY...Chris Paul, Nick Young, Griffin, D.Jordan would be nice fits in his system.
I'd try and find an upgrade at SF over Caron Butler though. He's still got game but in a lineup like that with a coach like D'Antoni, a faster, more athletic wing men would be a better fit. He could be a very strong piece coming off the bench, however.

rhino17
03-20-2012, 03:07 PM
D'Antoni is a horrible coach, any team would be dumb to hire him

Southsideheat
03-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Because they can be the 2-3 seeds like the Phoenix days.

And lose in the playoffs. His system just does not work if you want to go all the way.

Sinestro
03-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Sure it would make for some fun basketball but will it win championships?

WAYNEBO
03-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Nooooooo! My second fav team (former NYer living in Cali) CANNOT be destroyed by D'Andummi. I see him taking a year off or going to Europe.

BIG worm
03-21-2012, 01:09 AM
mike d is like the norv turner of the nba. how the hell do people keep hiring him?

Meatmypet
03-21-2012, 02:40 AM
And lose in the playoffs. His system just does not work if you want to go all the way.

That's an ignorant and an understatement if you really think about it.

It's a competitive system that wins you games and goes deep vying for the championships if played with the proper personnel.

The Suns running the system could've and should've won it all back in '07 had Stern not suspend Amare/Diaw for Game 6 against the Spurs when all they did was get off the bench to check on their leader when he was hip checked by Horry in the final moments of Game 5.

Meatmypet
03-21-2012, 02:41 AM
mike d is like the norv turner of the nba. how the hell do people keep hiring him?

Because if players buy into the system; with a smart point guard, it generates wins, brings excitement and revenue to the owners and the fans.

LakersIn5
03-21-2012, 08:06 AM
d'antoni will do a great job with that team. it isnt like d'antoni hasnt coached a team that has made the WCF

Crackadalic
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
SSOL Clippers. Hmmmm. Unless they have a center like tyson or Dwight to make up for the defense the D will suffer greatly

Stress
03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
defense wins championships.
i have a terrible feeling colangelo might bring him to toronto. casey has done a good job changing the culture and mindset of this team. i hope he stays.

if nash and amare couldnt win a championship with this guy then i dont see how paul and griffin would be able to accomplish that.

Fresno
03-23-2012, 12:19 AM
SSOL Clippers. Hmmmm. Unless they have a center like tyson or Dwight to make up for the defense the D will suffer greatly

DJ has potential to be a Tyson Chandler type of C.

Hes already a better shot blocker and a more up tempo system will net him far more rebounds and blocks than hes getting right now.

defense wins championships.
i have a terrible feeling colangelo might bring him to toronto. casey has done a good job changing the culture and mindset of this team. i hope he stays.

if nash and amare couldnt win a championship with this guy then i dont see how paul and griffin would be able to accomplish that.

Honestly.

CP3 is as good offensively as Nash but a better defender.

Griffin is better than young Amare was as an overall player, just nowhere near as dominant of a Pick & Roll player. A lot of Amare's flaws he puts on himself not learning the basics of basketball and just being taught to dominate by being tall and a great athlete. Griffin already has better fundementals on post play, rebounding, and he gives more effort on defense.

I'll take a flopper who picks up charges over a guy who stands still and lets his man score.

ChicagoFan4Eva
03-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Imagine if Jackson decides to coach the Clippers instead of NY .. I dnt know just a thought..