PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of John Wall now?

papipapsmanny
03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Ehh im a wiz fan and really like the actual discussion that will take place if I make this here haha

Earlier in the season everyone was thinking john wall was going to suck again but he has really turned it around since the last thread about him where at the time he was shooting under 40%

But now He is averaging 17.6 points per game on 44.3% shooting and basically 5 rebounds and 8 assist per game

The one number that sticks out is that he is averaging over 4 TOs per game, but hopefully that works itself out

Do you think the turnaround was more growing pains or because Flip Saunders was that bad or both

Thoughts?

-from a lonely psd wiz fan

NoahH
03-19-2012, 01:56 PM
This is the John Wall I thought we would be getting after seeing his development over the summer. He's gonna be a star. He's really embraced the leadership role and now with Nick Young gone his production can go up more.

Cal827
03-19-2012, 01:56 PM
I think alot of it also has to do with how bad that team is. Usually, there are more guys who can actually score too at a fairly high percentage lol

The lockout messed with a lot of players. I think a bunch of the guys who look like they have stagnated this season, will explode next year lol

papipapsmanny
03-19-2012, 01:57 PM
oh other negative and still can't hit a 3 if his life depended on it

NoahH
03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
oh other negative and still can't hit a 3 if his life depended on it

He's gonna need to work on that over the summer. Rose added it, Wall can.

FlakeyFool
03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
I want him if my team plans on turning the ball over all game long

chicago lulz
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
All about realizing he needs to be the leader of that team. Getting rid of Young and McGee probably will help. If he's surrounded by a competent team, I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers increased. Turnovers should be something he's able to decrease.

NYtilIdie
03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Hey, you still have Mane :)

But I think he was just getting his legs under him due to the condensed season, but now he seems in shape now and is playing to his talent. Also, his jumpshot has gotten better as of late which was a huge knock on him this season, once that becomes consistent he's going to be dangerous.

It also helps that the Wiz got rid of the two biggest boneheads on the team, now they just need to work on getting rid of Blatche then they'll be good.

iam brett favre
03-19-2012, 02:01 PM
The fact that he's shooting 8% from 3 PT is pure laziness. There is no excuse to be a "star" that can't make a 3 point shot.

NoahH
03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
The fact that he's shooting 8% from 3 PT is pure laziness. There is no excuse to be a "star" that can't make a 3 point shot.

I was unaware that he was 2-23 from the three this year lol that's just garbage. I could shoot 8% from the three in an NBA game lol

spreadeagle
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
That was one of the worst built teams in recent memory, he had little chance to suceed with that roster...I really like what they did getting Nene, and moving Young and Mcguee out, I think things will be on the rise for him and the team

Blitzbolt
03-19-2012, 02:13 PM
I saw him yesterday and he look good but also raw.

It's gonna take some time but he will get there.

NoahH
03-19-2012, 02:13 PM
That was one of the worst built teams in recent memory, he had little chance to suceed with that roster...I really like what they did getting Nene, and moving Young and Mcguee out, I think things will be on the rise for him and the team

Lots of talent on that team, but terrible, terrible attitudes and chemistry

PhillyFaninLA
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
I believe you give any player 3 seasons of starting (or playing more minutes then the starter) before you judge them, so I'm waiting until after next year to start to cement my opinion. He is a good not great player right now. Some players get better and better, some players show flashes and nothing more, others start out really well and decline due to change in work ethic, bad decisions by coaching, or the team they are on getting worse, and the last group is guys that figure it out late in their careers.

So I'll wait until after next year to praise or chastise him.

Fnom11
03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Pretty sure everyone thought this guy was going to be a stud and everyone still does. It's hard when your team is the worst in the league(or second to the bobcats).

5ass
03-19-2012, 03:19 PM
wall is a top 5 PG next season. If he can work on his jumpshot he can be #1

sargon21
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
^ wall will never touch rose or his accomplishments

UKblazers
03-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Big John Wall fan I'm confident he'll establish himself as truly elite in the coming years. Any point guard would of struggled with the players the Wiz had at the time. As others noted needs to cut down the turnovers and improve decision making off the pick n roll.

Kashmir13579
03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
You don't know how fast he really is until you see him in person.

5ass
03-19-2012, 06:24 PM

In their 1st 2 seasons ill take wall over rose. Hes already a better passer and defender than rose in his sophomore season. I can understand why u would hate though, ur intimidated of him passing rose. Funny thing is rose isnt even the best PG in the NBA, u just assumed that on ur own.

gaughan333
03-19-2012, 06:41 PM

This is just stupid

5ass
03-19-2012, 06:45 PM
This is just stupid

Here come chicago fans, rose is goat. Peace

5ass
03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Z

GoferKing_
03-19-2012, 06:58 PM
^^ Dude, just chill.

papipapsmanny
03-19-2012, 07:15 PM
im not saying he will be number 1, but he has the potential to be....

he has a higher ceiling than rose.... if he ever gets close to that ceiling is anyone's guess

Gram
03-19-2012, 07:19 PM
John Wall's Era is on PSD. His Era will never be forgotten.

naps
03-19-2012, 07:50 PM
surround him with good players, you'll get you double digit assists easily. now if he can improve his jump shot and cut down the turnovers then he can easily be the best point guard in the league or at least be in the discussion with chris Paul in 2 years from now.

Cal827
03-19-2012, 08:00 PM

Not gonna happen... I see him behind Paul and Rose and likely Williams at least next year if he is able to start hitting threes. That's just my opinion though... and I hate Chris Paul, Deron Williams and the Chicago Bulls lol

iam brett favre
03-19-2012, 08:03 PM
I was unaware that he was 2-23 from the three this year lol that's just garbage. I could shoot 8% from the three in an NBA game lol

Yup.

IF he can work on his jump shot? Why wouldn't he be able to? Why hasn't he already? He's paid millions to play basketball. There is no excuse why he is shooting 8% from 3 PT.

Punk
03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
The Wizards need to abandon the rebuild and pick out the guys this season that show the most promise and begin adding some established names and youth around them like Chicago.

Chicago had Rose, Noah, Deng. That's all of the carry overs since their rebuilding years. They added Brewer, Watson, Korver, Asik, Boozer and removed the guys who were not doing anything.

That's exactly what Washington needs and they will be fine.

5ass
03-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Yup.

IF he can work on his jump shot? Why wouldn't he be able to? Why hasn't he already? He's paid millions to play basketball. There is no excuse why he is shooting 8% from 3 PT.

u could ask rondo, and kidd (most of his career) the same question cant you? Its his 2nd year dude, i agree that his development as a player isnt going well so far, but thats kind of expected when u have a bunch of idiots and d-leagures (including coach) on the team. He needs to be surrounded with a coach and players of better work ethic.

Rondo isnt a good shooter, kidd wasnt a good shooter. Guess what? they will both go down as 2 of the best PGs to play the game, even though some people will disagree with me regarding rondo, but thats beside the point.

5ass
03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
im not saying he will be number 1, but he has the potential to be....

he has a higher ceiling than rose.... if he ever gets close to that ceiling is anyone's guess

thats all im saying really. With his defense, passing, IQ, size, speed, rebounding and athleticism he has all of the tools needed to be a top PG.

Wall can be almost like a Rondo-Rose hybrid.

Swashcuff
03-19-2012, 09:29 PM
John Wall absolutely has the tools and the talent to become the best PG or there about one day IMO. He's still very young and has the world of potential he just has to continue to work on his jump shot, his D and his decision making and he'd be knocking on the door without question IMO.

As for the thread I ask myself where are those who were calling him the worst shooter in the game and a bad player of negative intangible worth etc. Its amazing that when a player is at is lowest how hard he gets beat down even lower (case in point Russell Westbrook at the beggining of the season) but as soon as he gets things on track and playing out of his mind these haters disappear and can never own up to their claims.

John Wall is a fantastic player and is only going to continue to get better.

ManningToTyree
03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Give him another two years and he will be a superstar. You can see flashes of greatness, but still raw. Cut down on the TO and learn how to shoot the deep ball and he becomes a top flight PG

waveycrockett
03-19-2012, 10:21 PM
John Wall reminds me alot of Devin Harris. Ton of talent but I don't know if he is ever going to put it together to be anything more than above average

waveycrockett
03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
u could ask rondo, and kidd (most of his career) the same question cant you? Its his 2nd year dude, i agree that his development as a player isnt going well so far, but thats kind of expected when u have a bunch of idiots and d-leagures (including coach) on the team. He needs to be surrounded with a coach and players of better work ethic.

Rondo isnt a good shooter, kidd wasnt a good shooter. Guess what? they will both go down as 2 of the best PGs to play the game, even though some people will disagree with me regarding rondo, but thats beside the point.

Kidd never shot anywhere near 8% from 3. Don't even put Kidd in the same sentence as Rondo.

Swashcuff
03-19-2012, 10:31 PM
John Wall reminds me alot of Devin Harris. Ton of talent but I don't know if he is ever going to put it together to be anything more than above average

:laugh2:

Swashcuff
03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Kidd never shot anywhere near 8% from 3. Don't even put Kidd in the same sentence as Rondo.

Actually tho their is a differential in the 3FG% Rondo has Kidd beat in the overall FG% area. Kidd never shot anywhere near 48% from the field which just happens to be Rondo's career %.

gaughan333
03-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Here come chicago fans, rose is goat. Peace

He wont be better than rose or CP3...

His jump shot is just too far off and I question his work ethic

waveycrockett
03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Actually tho their is a differential in the 3FG% Rondo has Kidd beat in the overall FG% area. Kidd never shot anywhere near 48% from the field which just happens to be Rondo's career %.

Stop trying to make Rondo look better. Kidd wasn't a good 3P shooter but he was a HELLUVA lot better than Rondo. Rondo shoots a high FG% because he will and can only shoot lay ups.

Raph12
03-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I said it before, he just needs the motivation...

mzgrizz
03-19-2012, 10:55 PM
I sure did enjoy watching him play last night.

5ass
03-19-2012, 11:08 PM

just because i put kidd in the same sentence as rondo doesnt mean i was suggesting they have the same shooting ability. Kidd wasnt a good shooter, rondo isnt good, but he also never shot the 3 ball at the rate kidd used to.

naps
03-20-2012, 02:41 AM

Bulls fans sound insecure. This is a John Wall thread. Wall has potential to be the best of the bests. How on earth do you even know he will NEVER touch Rose? You know NEVER is a very very very strong word and you never say never about the future. Not to mention this is not too far fetched.

DreStylez
03-20-2012, 03:00 AM
He doesn't have the basketball IQ. He's out of control on the court a lot, goes too fast. Sure, he doesn't have a team around him but look at Kyrie Irving. He doesn't have a team around him either. I wouldn't go far to say he's a bust but Wall seriously needs to put work in the gym and in the classroom.

DreStylez
03-20-2012, 03:01 AM

I agree. You make a good comparison now that a think about it.

BradfordIsElite
03-20-2012, 03:06 AM
Not too much has changed. Wall is a freakish talent and has that spark already in him.
I expected him to bounce back at some point soon enough. He's going to be too good.
Once they add more talent, watch out..

Sadds The Gr8
03-20-2012, 03:10 AM
He's a great talent, but has things he needs to work on. I don't know about his work ethic but if it's good, then he should be a top 3-5 PG throughout his career. I was low on him at the start of this season because he was so bad the first month or so, but I realized that it was because his teammates were ****in borderline retards. He's been playing much better lately with the talent-less but hard working players.

NYtilIdie
03-20-2012, 03:33 AM
If they'll just ***king amnesty Blatche already the Wizards will be on the right path. Nene should help Wall and give him that low post scorer has hasn't had since his UK days with Cousins.

They'll also have a high lotto pick most likely which will greatly benefit them in this deep draft.

5ass
03-20-2012, 03:51 AM
He doesn't have the basketball IQ. He's out of control on the court a lot, goes too fast. Sure, he doesn't have a team around him but look at Kyrie Irving. He doesn't have a team around him either. I wouldn't go far to say he's a bust but Wall seriously needs to put work in the gym and in the classroom.

He's just not on the same page with his teammates. Blatche, Young, McGee, Saunders, Crawford created a ****** atmosphere. Other than Wall it was full of idiots looking for their own shot, and being flashy not caring about the team. It is very hard for a PG to play with a group like that.

joseph aka Jman
03-20-2012, 03:59 AM

So im assuming your in the gym with him every time he practices?

AsfanSince99
03-20-2012, 04:13 AM
This is exactly where I thot he'd be. Too bad his supporting cast sux so bad. He'll only get better.

ACanadian
03-20-2012, 06:09 AM
John Wall was actually my roll model, he was that fun to watch.
the Guy's a beast

FlakeyFool
03-20-2012, 08:26 AM
"John Wall was actually my roll model, he was that fun to watch. "

you do realize he's still alive right

BULLSFAN0810
03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Ehh im a wiz fan and really like the actual discussion that will take place if I make this here haha

Earlier in the season everyone was thinking john wall was going to suck again but he has really turned it around since the last thread about him where at the time he was shooting under 40%

But now He is averaging 17.6 points per game on 44.3% shooting and basically 5 rebounds and 8 assist per game

The one number that sticks out is that he is averaging over 4 TOs per game, but hopefully that works itself out

Do you think the turnaround was more growing pains or because Flip Saunders was that bad or both

Thoughts?

-from a lonely psd wiz fan

Sorry Wall sucks...its not bc he is bad,its bc ppl told him he was a Rose/Westbrook type player....and hes not. Wall needs a real coach that can teach him ...like pop did parker. IMO you either get him a coach or trade him. soon it may be hard to kill bad tendacies he may pick up on a losing team.

BULLSFAN0810
03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
He's just not on the same page with his teammates. Blatche, Young, McGee, Saunders, Crawford created a ****** atmosphere. Other than Wall it was full of idiots looking for their own shot, and being flashy not caring about the team. It is very hard for a PG to play with a group like that.

then trade him bc his team mates dont see him as better or he is just as badof a team mate as they are...his jumper is still suspect also w alota T/o.

onlythisfar41
03-20-2012, 08:47 AM
If he puts his heart into working on his jump shot then he will be a superstar. He has every other tool you can possibly have except the ability to knock down a jumper.

I remember a game agains the Knicks earlier this year where he had a chance to tie or win the game i cant remember which, and the Knicks let him shoot a wide open three and he just clanked it. If he can fix that hell be the total package.

Ezio
03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Kyrie > Wall.

AnthonyTyrael
03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
He needs to keep his developement up, definitly but he's on the right way.

celtNYpatsHeels
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
His team is terrible and he is still learning how to run a team. Some veteran leadership could do him wonders. That being said, I think he has the potential to be great. He definitely could have benefited from another year of college.

Swashcuff
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm still not seeing/hearing any of those were saying that Wall was rubbish and he was overrated etc. Where are you guys?

Bullsfan22
03-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Coming out of the draft I heard numerous people here and in real life saying he'd be a 20 and 10 guy by now and by year 3 the best point guard in the league.

He's not overrated but he was hyped up a tad bit too much coming out of the draft. And the same people that said that, made up excuses about how bad his team was when a thread was created about his horrible shooting he didn't improve during the offseason. I personally will wait to project him until year 3, that's when most stars blossom.

Vincent
03-20-2012, 12:22 PM
You just hope a guy like that doesn't get used to losing. Especially a guy that young and that talented.

You don't want guys to coast along in their careers like Vince Carter.

lvlheaded
03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
He had no one else on that team. They are legit pure garbage. Nene is a step in the rig direction. I still think Wall is gonna be an 18 and 9 caliber PG. REALLY need sto learn to shoot a 3 thouh, 8% is horrific

hoog
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
He is not a leader and that's his real negative. Once he gets a leader on the team, a vet that isn't a horses butt like he has now, then he will thrive. I think he has the talent to be a top PG in this league but he's just not the vocal leader he needed to be to control this group. Still think he'll be good but is it on this team or will he need to be traded?

waveycrockett
03-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm still not seeing/hearing any of those were saying that Wall was rubbish and he was overrated etc. Where are you guys?

Ppl were saying he was a top5 pg right out the draft. Yeah he is overrated.

Swashcuff
03-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Ppl were saying he was a top5 pg right out the draft. Yeah he is overrated.

Who are these people? I'd like to see some evidence. I too thought John Wall was overrated coming into the league but given what he has done thus far in the NBA becoming the only player in NBA history 20 or younger to average 16, 4 and 8 in his very first season and only improving on that this season. He isn't overrated by any means he was super hyped but not overrated.

SKINSZARDS
03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
If they'll just ***king amnesty Blatche already the Wizards will be on the right path. Nene should help Wall and give him that low post scorer has hasn't had since his UK days with Cousins.

They'll also have a high lotto pick most likely which will greatly benefit them in this deep draft.

This. Once they stopped playing the idiots on the court wall started playing way better. Just get rid of blatche, draft a wing scorer (maybe Harrison Barnes)and get some more veteran depth and Wall and the wizards will be on the up and up.

waveycrockett
03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Who are these people? I'd like to see some evidence. I too thought John Wall was overrated coming into the league but given what he has done thus far in the NBA becoming the only player in NBA history 20 or younger to average 16, 4 and 8 in his very first season and only improving on that this season. He isn't overrated by any means he was super hyped but not overrated.

It's called google not hard. Super hyped coming into last season and this season=overrated.

72 Wins
03-20-2012, 03:55 PM
We all know about the work ethic of Westbrook, Rose, etc. However, how is Wall's work ethic? If he's willing to really put work in during the offseason (and also work on control), I don't see how he cannot be an elite PG in the league. He's just way too talented. This is why I question the work ethic of Rondo, I just have no idea how he still continues to be a relatively poor shooter and FT shooter for his position.

LongIslandIcedZ
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
I think he is faster than Rose.

Everything else besides that Rose is better than him at.

waveycrockett
03-20-2012, 04:02 PM
We all know about the work ethic of Westbrook, Rose, etc. However, how is Wall's work ethic? If he's willing to really put work in during the offseason (and also work on control), I don't see how he cannot be an elite PG in the league. He's just way too talented. This is why I question the work ethic of Rondo, I just have no idea how he still continues to be a relatively poor shooter and FT shooter for his position.

Rondo actually has a physical issue that keeps him from being a great shooter. He has the same size Hands as most Centers in the NBA. Guys like Wall and Devin Harris are just more interested in cross overs and dunking on guys then working on their passing, leaderships and shooting.

Crackadalic
03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Top 5 pg in a couple years. Has the tools. Lets see if he works on it

72 Wins
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
I think he is faster than Rose.

Everything else besides that Rose is better than him at.

Faster, yes IMHO.... but he needs to work on how to control that speed (IMHO).

Gators123
03-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I thought he had the potential to be the best PG in the NBA.

72 Wins
03-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Rondo actually has a physical issue that keeps him from being a great shooter. He has the same size Hands as most Centers in the NBA.

I think that's a poor excuse. There have been plenty of centers in the NBA and in the history of the NBA that have been good FT shooters.

LongIslandIcedZ
03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Faster, yes IMHO.... but he needs to work on how to control that speed (IMHO).

Without a doubt. He is out of control

waveycrockett
03-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I think that's a poor excuse. There have been plenty of centers in the NBA and in the history of the NBA that have been good FT shooters.

There are very few. Most Centers shoot 60% and don't have to worry about running an offense.

dee279
03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
John Wall is a beast. He just needs to slow down a little bit and get a more consistent jump shot.

papipapsmanny
03-20-2012, 07:27 PM
nice input, although for the few bull fans that seemingly attack wall because he could be really good.... its really annoying, and to be honest it just makes you look bad, because you are kind of acknowledging that you think he is a threat to be better than rose, by knocking him for really no reason.

as for the future I believe the Wizards have 2 2nds, in a perfect world they draft

Harrison Barnes, Thab Melo, and C.J. McCollum, tell Blatche to **** off and let Serpahin/Booker/Vesely go at PF

I rather live with Lewis's contract for one more year than Blatch for 3 more years haha

Trueblue2
03-20-2012, 08:32 PM
"John Wall was actually my roll model, he was that fun to watch. "

you do realize he's still alive right

You do realize there's a quote button right