PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Garnett Milestone - Where do you rank him?

Yankees1115
03-18-2012, 12:25 PM
KG just hit this milestone and this guys career was truly special. He is actually the only player in NBA history with 20,000 PTS, 10,000 REB, 5,000 AST, 1500 BLK, 1500 STL.

Look at these stats and tell me where you rank KG in the greatest of all time list. http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/3/17/2881070/kevin-garnett-milestone-man

Kevin Garnett’s next assist, as we covered in Thursday night’s blog, will be the 5,000th of his NBA career.

It will give him 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 5,000 assists.

Two guys have a key to that club.

One is Karl Malone. The other is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Kevin Garnett also has 1,500 steals. Kareem does not.

Kevin Garnett also has 1,500 blocks. Malone does not.

And then, there was one.

We have a great deal of difficulty it seems shuffling current players into the existing deck of the greatest to ever play. We tend to hyperbolize for the sake of the moment, or be too reverent of the players we grew up watching. It's a difficult target to hit. But sometimes, like tonight, the numbers do it for us.

Career

23,945 PTS
13,157 REB
5,004 AST
1,893 BLK
1,648 STL

ManRam
03-18-2012, 12:29 PM
If you put KG on the Spurs and winning all the rings TD did, and put Duncan on the Wolves and following KG's career path, I really think we'd be talking about how KG is the greatest PF ever...

NoahH
03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Imagine KG's stats if he stayed in Minnesota lol

Yankees1115
03-18-2012, 12:35 PM
If you put KG on the Spurs and winning all the rings TD did, and put Duncan on the Wolves and following KG's career path, I really think we'd be talking about how KG is the greatest PF ever...

It is so true and as bad as the Wolves were all those years its pretty crazy he still had the motivation to play hard night in and night out. That's the way it should be but you see guys dogging it on bad teams all the time now.

Mile High Champ
03-18-2012, 12:36 PM
I still have Malone & Duncan over KG. Both players have KG beat in other categories not discussed.

Sadds The Gr8
03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Duncan
Barkley
KG
Malone
Dirk

kurivaimu
03-18-2012, 12:47 PM
PF All-time:
1. Timmy D
2. KG

thekmp211
03-18-2012, 01:04 PM
re: the Dirk thread from a while where KG came up, i really think i'm of the mind that duncan was a center. he just was. he played center. his frontcourt mates were always power forwards, besides an aging trob who was the nominal center on those teams.

on that train of thought, to me he's the best PF all time. and if you don't believe me go watch him 2004 playoff run. like chronz said in another post, his deterioration as a player and a person help to blur the lines. he was unbelievably dominant at every aspect of the game in his prime. best PF ever, for me, but i understand that my opinion is not mainstream or finite.

unleashthebeast
03-18-2012, 01:08 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=704559

But yeah, definitely one of the alltime greats

Jint.
03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
3rd.. after Duncan & Malone

JayW_1023
03-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Disagree. KGs was game was perimeter oriented, Duncan went hard down the block, got to the line a lot more.

Duncans impact on both ends was much much bigger, look past the numbers.

I do love seeing KG in his prime...he could do it all.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 01:43 PM

As a Wolves fan, you should be able to guess my stance on KG.

Now, look at KG vs TD come playoff time. Garnett regressed, Duncan got better. I am not so sure KG leads them to 4 rings.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I still have Malone & Duncan over KG. Both players have KG beat in other categories not discussed.

Duncan
Barkley/KG
Malone
Dirk

ManningToTyree
Duncan
Malone/KG
Barkley

LA_Raiders
He is a solid Top 5...

kjoke
03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Malone needs more attention

Duncan
Malone
KG
Charles

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
re: the Dirk thread from a while where KG came up, i really think i'm of the mind that duncan was a center. he just was. he played center. his frontcourt mates were always power forwards, besides an aging trob who was the nominal center on those teams.

on that train of thought, to me he's the best PF all time. and if you don't believe me go watch him 2004 playoff run. like chronz said in another post, his deterioration as a player and a person help to blur the lines. he was unbelievably dominant at every aspect of the game in his prime. best PF ever, for me, but i understand that my opinion is not mainstream or finite.

Duncan was a center basically, but that is beside the point now.

I am not sure we will see another player like Garnett. He is as unique as it possibly comes. The numbers listed show that. He could literally do anything, was a freak athletically, and I have never seen anyone play with more passion. How many players can get up for the 71st game against a crappy road team? It was the biggest thing I loved about KG. I met him a few times, seemed nice. hell, my parents bought a house from him. He was the best player in my favorite teams history, so I try like hell to remove bias from my opinions, but then I remember stuff like the put back dunk and point to Malik's jersey, and get emotional.

Awesome player. Totally dominant at times. Best player on the planet in 03-04'. One of the most versatile players in history. But what I always liked most about him, is he would play for free, and play just as hard.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Will someone please try and make a rational case for Malone over KG?

Teeboy1487
03-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Disagree. KGs was game was perimeter oriented, Duncan went hard down the block, got to the line a lot more.

I agree. Duncan was simply better than KG in all aspects of the game. I'm not convinced KG could have led those Spurs teams to four championships.

kjoke
03-18-2012, 01:54 PM
When someone makes a rational argument of why KG over Malone/

kjoke
03-18-2012, 01:58 PM
The only thing not going for Malone is that he played with one of the greatest point guards of all time, but I can't hold that against him as a player.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 01:59 PM
When someone makes a rational argument of why KG over Malone/

Sure. KG is the better rebounder, passer, MUCH better defender, and even though his playoff stats would regress, they did not drop like Malone's did. Malone was the better scorer. Not one other facet of the game was Malone better at.

kjoke
03-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Sure. KG is the better rebounder, passer, MUCH better defender, and even though his playoff stats would regress, they did not drop like Malone's did. Malone was the better scorer. Not one other facet of the game was Malone better at.

Okay. Longevity.

KG, for the stretch of time was a better rebounder. But Malone went till he was 40 averaged near a double-double. Malone, for as much as stockton held the ball, was an ok passer, you have to give him that. And even if his playoffs stats regressed, if it wasn't for Micheal, Malone would be sitting pretty with a couple of rings. As far as defense goes, it wasn't Malone's best ablity, but he wasn't a bad defender, he DWS are on par with Kevin's minus Kevin's two outstanding years where he was the best player in the league.

Also, do not be so quick to disregard the sheer offensive ability to score Malone had. It's one thing to say he was a scorer; this man was a best when it came to making shots.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Okay. Longevity.

KG, for the stretch of time was a better rebounder. But Malone went till he was 40 averaged near a double-double. Malone, for as much as stockton held the ball, was an ok passer, you have to give him that. And even if his playoffs stats regressed, if it wasn't for Micheal, Malone would be sitting pretty with a couple of rings. As far as defense goes, it wasn't Malone's best ablity, but he wasn't a bad defender, he DWS are on par with Kevin's minus Kevin's two outstanding years where he was the best player in the league.

Also, do not be so quick to disregard the sheer offensive ability to score Malone had. It's one thing to say he was a scorer; this man was a best when it came to making shots.

I am not neglecting Malone's scoring ability. KG was the better rebounder, passer, and a MUCH better defender (you should know better then to pull out DWS'). If you want to use longevity, understand KG ties Malone in seasons played if he plays 2 more. A 17 year career is a large enough sample size to say he had longevity.

Malone was the better scorer. KG was the better everything else. As for the Stockton factor, and Sloan, etc, I would have LOVED to have seen KG with Malone help on my Wolves for a long period of time.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Barkley is the one I think has a case for being ranked with, and maybe even slightly above if forced to choose.

Chronz
03-18-2012, 02:26 PM

It is so true and as bad as the Wolves were all those years its pretty crazy he still had the motivation to play hard night in and night out. That's the way it should be but you see guys dogging it on bad teams all the time now.
KG has ended seasons early with mild injuries, just saying no one gos all out

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-18-2012, 02:29 PM
I love KG, but a milestone of assists shouldn't warrant a question of where he ranks among the all-time greats. The only thing that would warrant this question this late in his career would be if he won another NBA championship.

kjoke
03-18-2012, 02:31 PM
I am not neglecting Malone's scoring ability. KG was the better rebounder, passer, and a MUCH better defender (you should know better then to pull out DWS'). If you want to use longevity, understand KG ties Malone in seasons played if he plays 2 more. A 17 year career is a large enough sample size to say he had longevity.

Malone was the better scorer. KG was the better everything else. As for the Stockton factor, and Sloan, etc, I would have LOVED to have seen KG with Malone help on my Wolves for a long period of time.

KG was a great defender, and I hate DWS, but Malone wasn't that bad of defender. He wasn't the best, but he made up for it with solid rebounding for over 19 years. He averaged 20 and 8 playing 36 minutes and playing every game at the slender age of 39! I don't think KG has the physical ability to do that. Malone got to the foul line way more, had a higher PER for most of his career in comparison, had higher WS, higher TS% and eFG%, played in an era that was much tougher, and had the an overall better career in length than KG.

On top of that, Stockton was who he was because he had the ability to give the ball to Malone. Malone's scoring ability made Stockton a phenomenal pg. Not saying he wouldn't be with KG, but I don't see KG has the type of offensive player that made Stoickton a top 15 player of all time.

kjoke
03-18-2012, 02:36 PM
I love KG, but a milestone of assists shouldn't warrant a question of where he ranks among the all-time greats. The only thing that would warrant this question this late in his career would be if he won another NBA championship.

As the main guy or one fot he top 3 guys. Other than that, if he's there for the 'ride', I don't think that it would push him up.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 02:46 PM
KG was a great defender, and I hate DWS, but Malone wasn't that bad of defender. He wasn't the best, but he made up for it with solid rebounding for over 19 years. He averaged 20 and 8 playing 36 minutes and playing every game at the slender age of 39! I don't think KG has the physical ability to do that. Malone got to the foul line way more, had a higher PER for most of his career in comparison, had higher WS, higher TS% and eFG%, played in an era that was much tougher, and had the an overall better career in length than KG.

On top of that, Stockton was who he was because he had the ability to give the ball to Malone. Malone's scoring ability made Stockton a phenomenal pg. Not saying he wouldn't be with KG, but I don't see KG has the type of offensive player that made Stoickton a top 15 player of all time.

We are splitting hairs, because we are talking about 2 of the top 4 PF's to ever play, but to me, KG's ability to do more with his game separates them. He was better at every facet of the game outside scoring.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-18-2012, 02:48 PM
As the main guy or one fot he top 3 guys. Other than that, if he's there for the 'ride', I don't think that it would push him up.

No way, he's the heart and soul of the Boston Celtics and changed the culture of that team in 2007.

kjoke
03-18-2012, 02:53 PM
No way, he's the heart and soul of the Boston Celtics and changed the culture of that team in 2007.

So if he wins another title with the Celtics and averages 12 and 6, you still would think that helps his case? I'm not saying it would hurt, I just don't think it would make him better career wise/

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 02:58 PM
So if he wins another title with the Celtics and averages 12 and 6, you still would think that helps his case? I'm not saying it would hurt, I just don't think it would make him better career wise/

While I agree with you, do you think the public perception of Malone changes if he "rides" the Lakers to a ring that last year?

Vincent33
03-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Duncan
Barkley
KG
Malone
Dirk

Yeah.

beliges
03-18-2012, 03:05 PM
KG is a top 3 PF of all time. One can even make a great argument that he is #2 behind Timmy and ahead of the Mailman. One of the greatest bigs to ever play the game. One of the greatest defensive players to ever play the game. The Celtics of 08-09 were one of the 5 greatest defensive teams to ever exist in the league and KG was the major part of that. Great player. One of the very very few oldschool players left in the league. They dont make them like that anymore. Now its all these new school, flashy, twitter, types of players that dance on the sidelines and take fake photos of each other. The league is clearly changing and these types of players are going extinct. Itll be a sad day when KG, Kobe, Nash and Ray Allen, and guys like this finally hang them up.

eugene
03-18-2012, 04:03 PM
one of very few old school players left... that's for sure

kjoke
03-18-2012, 04:10 PM
While I agree with you, do you think the public perception of Malone changes if he "rides" the Lakers to a ring that last year?

I certainly didn't like it, but I don't think it hurts his case, nor would it help. But yeah, I think it looks bad, but people get over it, and probably won't remember it. I mean how many of you guys think people think of Gary Payton when he wont one with the HEAT the final year?

Lim
03-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Imagine KG's stats if he stayed in Minnesota lol

well you could argue that joining boston has helped prolong his career. less minutes, less of a load to carry = longer twilight. there's a good chance he would be retired already if he stayed in sota.

Bruno
03-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Duncan and KG are the two greatest PFs of all-time, imo. We're at the mid-night of the greatest PF era in league history.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Duncan and KG are the two greatest PFs of all-time, imo. We're at the mid-night of the greatest PF era in league history.

The best part? There are 3 young PF's moving up into the top players in the NBA right now.

heyman321
03-18-2012, 06:12 PM
He's in my top 5 of all time scumbags. Quite an accomplishment.

DaVille
03-18-2012, 06:36 PM
He's in my top 5 of all time scumbags. Quite an accomplishment.

I'd rather my player be scumbag on basketball court, than be a rapist off the court.

heyman321
03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
I'd rather my player be scumbag on basketball court, than be a rapist off the court.

Lol I'm not a Lakers or Kobe fan, chump. So we both agree Garnett is a scumbag and Kobe is a rapist!

JJ_JKidd
03-18-2012, 09:11 PM
His "game" ranks him among one of the best PFs of all time. His thug behavior is the only one thing I do not like about him :rolleyes:

waveycrockett
03-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I still think Timmy being a PF was a sham he was a C.

b@llhog24
03-18-2012, 10:41 PM
The best part? There are 3 young PF's moving up into the top players in the NBA right now.

Ryan Anderson?

knicksfan42
03-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Ryan Anderson?

Lamarcus Aldridge I think.

Cfrey
04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Garnett is the greatest..

But will be replaced by Love soon enough.

xnick5757
04-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Garnett is the greatest..

But will be replaced by Love soon enough.

current? maybe.

all-time? hell no. kg is one of the best defensive players of all time, love is meh

Lakers + Giants
04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Ahead of Dirk.

Cfrey
04-17-2012, 05:35 PM
current? maybe.

all-time? hell no. kg is one of the best defensive players of all time, love is meh

Love is going to average 34 and 18 next year.. so that will automatically put him as the best ever

Longhornfan1234
04-17-2012, 07:54 PM
KG is the greatest PF of all-time.

KG is the better defender, scorer, rebounder, shot blocker, shooter, and passer.

"More rings" argument is a simpleton argument.

kdspurman
04-17-2012, 08:52 PM

Agreed. Not to mention how Timmy went hard at Shaq in 03 and completely dominated that series. You have to factor in his level of play rising in the playoffs and the consistency to always show up in big games. Getting them back into the game in 05 in Game 7.

I think KG is great no question. But it's not really reasonable to say swap him out with Tim and people would be saying he's the best PF of all time.

TrueFan420
04-17-2012, 09:25 PM
KG is the greatest PF of all-time.

KG is the better defender, scorer, rebounder, shot blocker, shooter, and passer.

"More rings" argument is a simpleton argument.

timmy is a better defender on the block, could score better from the block and was a better shot blocker. id say equal in passing ability and rebounds even tho KG has a few more assists and rebounds per game. Its close but timmy is the better of the two.

The Final Boss
04-17-2012, 09:28 PM

What kind of reasoning is this? It may have worked in junior high school but you can't pull it off here. Oh wait...this is the PSD NBA Forum...Carry on.

PleaseBeNice
04-17-2012, 09:54 PM
I dont know about this, but I'd possibly take KG over Duncan for all time, considering Duncan had a much better supporting cast and KG still got his teams far

Cfrey
04-17-2012, 10:42 PM
wait why were you a part of PSD history?

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2012, 10:59 PM
I'd say that Garnett has even surpassed Matt Boner at this point in his career, despite Bonner's clear advantage from beyond the arc.

Swashcuff
04-18-2012, 12:01 AM
As a Wolves fan, you should be able to guess my stance on KG.

Now, look at KG vs TD come playoff time. Garnett regressed, Duncan got better. I am not so sure KG leads them to 4 rings.

However KGs D come playoff time got way better. Better even than Duncan's. Though he wasnt blazing the trail his opponents rarely if ever got the better of him.