PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't the Celtics trade any of their big 3 at the trade deadline?

JordansBulls
03-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Why didn't the Celtics trade any of there big 3 at the trade deadline? These guys are older now and really don't have much left to help the C's be a championship contender anymore, but they could help a contender get over the top.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Ray is an expiring 10 Mil and KG an expiring 21 Mil. And they probably couldn't get equal value for Pierce, and they might as well let the guy retire as a Celtic while Kobe retires a Laker, Duncan a Spur and Dirk a Maverick.

PleaseBeNice
03-18-2012, 12:14 AM
We dont know. None of us are the GM's

shep33
03-18-2012, 12:24 AM
What could they realistically get back that was better than Ray and KG, who are both nice expirings?

They tried to trade Pierce from what I was reading, but teams were likely offering crap.

Don't make a deal just because you have to make a deal... (See New Jersey Nets)

Bos_Sports4Life
03-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Because Ainge is a moron..Ive been saying this for a while..

Besides the season before there first title, Ainge hasn't done much. His drafting has been terrible and trade proposals have been even worse..

dhopisthename
03-18-2012, 12:26 AM
maybe they didn't get a good enough offer?

DoMeFavors
03-18-2012, 12:29 AM
I think its a pretty smart move

KG and Allen are expiring same with Jeff Green so thats A LOT of cap space, plus have KG and Allen take vet min deals and use that cap space to sign key free agents so you can have a really nice team with KG and Allen on it cheap aswell.

Fresno
03-18-2012, 01:17 AM
I think its a pretty smart move

KG and Allen are expiring same with Jeff Green so thats A LOT of cap space, plus have KG and Allen take vet min deals and use that cap space to sign key free agents so you can have a really nice team with KG and Allen on it cheap aswell.

Im surprised people still dont know this.

1. Jeff Green hasn't played for the Celtics this season.

2. Jeff Green is an unrestricted Free Agent.

3. Jeff Green wont be able to resume playing basketball until December.

Silent
03-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Kg has a 2 year deal pierce has 3 allen has 1

shep33
03-18-2012, 02:30 AM
Kg has a 2 year deal pierce has 3 allen has 1

KG's contract is expiring at the end of this year

xxcubs22xx
03-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Because Danny Ainge is ********?

5ass
03-18-2012, 04:50 AM
optimism

ACanadian
03-18-2012, 05:12 AM
because danny ainge is ********?

+1

lamargcda
03-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Because Ainge is a moron..Ive been saying this for a while.. http://www.bicidi.info/jpg1

Besides the season before there first title, Ainge hasn't done much. His drafting has been terrible and trade proposals have been even worse..Besides the season before there first title, Ainge hasn't done much. His drafting has been terrible and trade proposals have been even worse.

Cano-Montero...
03-18-2012, 05:39 AM
look for allen to end up with the bulls in the offseason... KG maybe Lakers or Clippers since he owns a house in cali...

thekmp211
03-18-2012, 07:25 AM
for what? pierce is the only guy worth trading and frankly, unless he somehow netted a young star, rather he just retire a celtic.

also, can we please stop using "big 3"? it was barely ever an appropriate nickname and honestly just makes me cringe every time i hear it now.

YoungOne
03-18-2012, 07:37 AM
I want to know the answer aswell :shrug:

IndyRealist
03-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Because it's hard to tear down the thing you built and admit that it's not good enough anymore. There's a certain amount of ego involved, but I like to think mostly it's kinship with KG, PP, and Ray that kept Ainge for tearing it all down and starting over.

Was it a bad business move? Probably. But trading away these guys he probably sees as friends would sit on his conscious for the rest of his days.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 08:16 AM
because Ainge is a poor GM

thekmp211
03-18-2012, 08:23 AM
seriously guys, what great deadline deal did ainge pass up this year? allen was the only guy with conceivable value, and only to contenders at that. maybe a late first round pick from a team like chicago? kg's salary alone made trading him nearly impossible, and again the list of teams willing to take on his contract and his personality was small. pierce isn't expiring. rondo shouldn't be traded for a non-star player.

i just don't see what the issue is here. take one last crack, let kg and allen expire, take it from there. that's been the plan for a while. i don't think keeping these guys made the celts miss out on a long-term asset.

dodie53
03-18-2012, 08:25 AM
no good trade for the Cs?

Reversed86Curse
03-18-2012, 08:37 AM
because Ainge is a poor GM

What offers should he have taken?

magichatnumber9
03-18-2012, 09:20 AM
because Ainge is a poor GMThis and of course your quote. Danny had Fear, which caused hesitation. And now Bostons worst nightmares are about to become true.

JordansBulls
03-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Besides the season before there first title, Ainge hasn't done much. His drafting has been terrible and trade proposals have been even worse..

Also people say they couldn't get anything back, but he sure did trade Perkins.

smith&wesson
03-18-2012, 05:40 PM
look for allen to end up with the bulls in the offseason... KG maybe Lakers or Clippers since he owns a house in cali...

i agree, i think they will blow it up in the offseason.

metsbulls1025
03-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Because they were most likely asking for way to much for guys who are past their prime.

Bos_Sports4Life
03-18-2012, 05:53 PM

That trade actually made sense. Perk wouldn't have put us over the top the way his health was, and Rondo/Perk both have little offensive ability..Hard too build a team with them 2 going foward..

Overall though, Ainge isn't a good GM

Losoway
03-18-2012, 08:03 PM
pretty smart move on the celtics behalf . they contracts end soon

the big 3 may not be what they used to ...but they still perform better way better then anything the probably was getting offered

kevin garnet is playing good this year

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Let them expire and trade Rondo and Pierce on Draft night. That's what I would do. I know Corey would do it too.

Corey
03-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Please go.

He's been drafting at the end of the first round, do you know what the success rate of those picks are? Apparently not.

He's consistently assembled competitive benches with nothing more than the MLE and veteran minimum deals.

He got a very good player (Green) in return for a player that the Celtics had no intentions of resigning because of price (Perkins)...AND they got the clippers draft pick out of it...A very good move at the time.

This past offseason, he put together a bench that was supposed to be: Jeff Green, Chris Wilcox, Brandon Bass, Keyon Dooling, Mickael Pietrus, Avery Bradley..

He got Brandon Bass in exchange for Glen Davis, which in hindsight was an absolute steal.

How was he supposed to know that Wilcox and Jeff Green were both going to have aortic abnormalities? How was he supposed to know that Marquis Daniels and Keyon Dooling were going to be producing well below their career averages?

He's made very good moves on paper.

Sorry he didn't fulfill some unrealistic trade scenario you dreamt up in your head. He opted to keep cap space instead of taking on long term contracts. That's a bad thing? Okay.

Boston fans are some of the most self-entitled fans around. The guy as a GM ends a 20 year dry spell, sets you up with a ton of cap space for the future, acquires a draft pick that was projected to be a lot higher, and decides to stick with the best player (Rondo) instead of selling him out for fifty cents on the dollar.

You wouldn't have been happy if he traded Rondo in the big 3 for junk. You aren't happy that he kept them. There's no pleasing you.

Oh and by the way, Avery Bradley is still 21, and he's been your best on-ball defender this year. Jujuan Johnson looked great in limited minutes. Rondo was a draft day trade. Tony Allen is a solid player. Al Jefferson is quite the talent. For second rounders, Harangody and Erden were both fine picks. For picking at the end of the round, he hasn't done too terrible.

Corey
03-18-2012, 08:53 PM

How is this even relevant to what they did at the deadline?

They traded a young center that wanted too much money and got a very solid young wing player and a draft pick in return for him.

He was supposed to know that Green would have heart issues appear out of thin air?

A 20-something defensive center is more valuable than a 36 year old KG or Allen as a month-long rental. The Green trade was very good value, and I have no doubt he would make the same exact move everyday of the week.

bagwell368
03-18-2012, 09:29 PM
The question isn't why he didn't do anything now, the question is why he didn't follow the original plan from 2007-2008 - which was a 3 year window and each contract max deal coming off a year apart after that.

I think he let the 2009-2010 teams success alter the plan and he started extending contracts and signing guys to compete for 2011. The age/injuries caught up with them big time in '09 and '11, and then the failed to materialize signings and trades (and heart problems) of this year brought them to the pass they are in now.

Pierce, Rondo, Bass, a few kids and a few meh guys signing will be enough to keep them out of the lottery the next two years, and then they will fall into the lottery, Rondo's deal will be up and the Celts will gladly let him walk, and the coordinated transition that was supposed to happen (you know 1 new max a year that would learn the Celtic way) will be dead (it already is), and it'll be a team of old men and kids looking for a franchise lottery pick to save them - I.E. just like the post Bird years. I'll go back to watching classic basketball on TV and the top 3-4 teams as a lifeline to good basketball, and the Celt tickets that come my way every now and then will be politely refused.

xk4
03-18-2012, 10:09 PM
It's all been said in the C's forum, but the short version is this:

KG's contract was too big to take on, there's a good chance he will retire out of pride. Nobody was willing to give up a draft pick for Allen, so any move would just be lateral at best. And they are both expiring.

Pierce and Rondo are the only players under contract after this season, and there's still draft night trades and an amnesty

Ainge blew it up by making no moves

Eagles Year!!!!
03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Im surprised people still dont know this.

1. Jeff Green hasn't played for the Celtics this season.

2. Jeff Green is an unrestricted Free Agent.

3. Jeff Green wont be able to resume playing basketball until December.

Not true actually he is a restricted free agent next year, the league changed it because of his heart condition

Bos_Sports4Life
03-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Please go.

Ummm..No?

He's been drafting at the end of the first round, do you know what the success rate of those picks are? Apparently not.

Enough of a rate where i expect a hit atleast once

He got a very good player (Green) in return for a player that the Celtics had no intentions of resigning because of price (Perkins)...AND they got the clippers draft pick out of it...A very good move at the time.

Didn't I JUST say that was a good move??

He got Brandon Bass in exchange for Glen Davis, which in hindsight was an absolute steal.

That move was just absolute common sense. A monkey would have done that deal..

Sorry he didn't fulfill some unrealistic trade scenario you dreamt up in your head. He opted to keep cap space instead of taking on long term contracts. That's a bad thing? Okay.

I wasn't being the unrealistic one, From the sounds of it Ainge wanted more than an expiring/1st..

Basically if ANY team offered an expiring/first for ANY of the big 3, Ainge should be fired..

Boston fans are some of the most self-entitled fans around. The guy as a GM ends a 20 year dry spell, sets you up with a ton of cap space for the future, acquires a draft pick that was projected to be a lot higher, and decides to stick with the best player (Rondo) instead of selling him out for fifty cents on the dollar.

He already TRIED selling rondo for LESS than 50 cents too the dollar. Short term memory? Det is the one who rejected the rondo deal because they refused too trade Hamilton, Price and Stuckey for Rondo/Allan..

You wouldn't have been happy if he traded Rondo in the big 3 for junk. You aren't happy that he kept them. There's no pleasing you.

Now you are 100% assuming..

This team is going absolutely no where. Even if we were too get a 2nd rd pick/Expiring for Both KG/Allan. That atleast gives us SOMETHING (Maybe helps us move up a couple slots on draft day) AND improves our own pick..It's better than nothing imo

Staying pat made asbsolutely NO SENSE...

O yea, again..If ANY team offered a 1st/expiring for ANY of the big 3...Ainge should be fired..

Here's a few more things..

Woj reporte..early Thursday that the asking price for Allen — a 36-year-old shooter whom the acquiring team would only be getting on a three-month rental, since his contract is up after the season — was a first-round pick and a young player

Also A GM's have come out saying Ainge is frustating too deal with ect..

Ainge is AT BEST the 3rd best GM in town...

UnWantedTheory
03-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Please go.

He's consistently assembled competitive benches with nothing more than the MLE and veteran minimum deals.

This past offseason, he put together a bench that was supposed to be: Jeff Green, Chris Wilcox, Brandon Bass, Keyon Dooling, Mickael Pietrus, Avery Bradley..

How was he supposed to know that Wilcox and Jeff Green were both going to have aortic abnormalities? How was he supposed to know that Marquis Daniels and Keyon Dooling were going to be producing well below their career averages?

He's made very good moves on paper.

Oh and by the way, Avery Bradley is still 21, and he's been your best on-ball defender this year. Jujuan Johnson looked great in limited minutes. Rondo was a draft day trade. Tony Allen is a solid player. Al Jefferson is quite the talent. For second rounders, Harangody and Erden were both fine picks. For picking at the end of the round, he hasn't done too terrible.

So how do you really feel?

Corey
03-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Peachy.

Corey
03-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Not true actually he is a restricted free agent next year, the league changed it because of his heart condition

No, he's unrestricted. The Celtics waived their rights to him when they withdrew his qualifying offer to save on the luxury tax.

Corey
03-19-2012, 02:22 AM
He already TRIED selling rondo for LESS than 50 cents too the dollar. Short term memory? Det is the one who rejected the rondo deal because they refused too trade Hamilton, Price and Stuckey for Rondo/Allan..

At the time, that would have been a very fair deal.

Allen was turning 34, and had a 20 million dollar expiring contract. The belief was that he wasn't going to re-sign for a fair price (Which he ended up doing), so they were considering shipping him off instead of losing him for nothing.

The previous year, Stuckey+Hamilton+Prince combined for ~50 points per game, and Stuckey was regarded as a very high-upside player that was on the verge of breaking out.

That isn't trying to sell Rondo for 50c on the dollar.

corky831
03-19-2012, 09:15 AM
stuckey is a very good ball player

Corey
03-19-2012, 11:55 AM
And he was projected to be a whole lot better back then. People act like that was an unfair trade...If it was unfair for anyone, it was the Pistons, they would have been getting bent over at the time.

Bos_Sports4Life
03-19-2012, 01:29 PM
At the time, that would have been a very fair deal.

Allen was turning 34, and had a 20 million dollar expiring contract. The belief was that he wasn't going to re-sign for a fair price (Which he ended up doing), so they were considering shipping him off instead of losing him for nothing.

The previous year, Stuckey+Hamilton+Prince combined for ~50 points per game, and Stuckey was regarded as a very high-upside player that was on the verge of breaking out.

That isn't trying to sell Rondo for 50c on the dollar.

At the time Rondo was having 9+ WAR seasons at the age of like 23 I believe...And you'd be shipping him AND allan..That deal stunk than and it would have stunk even more going foward..

NoahH
03-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Ainge still thinks they can win lmao

allday823
03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
This and of course your quote. Danny had Fear, which caused hesitation. And now Bostons worst nightmares are about to become true.

I think you have been watching too much green lantern lol