PDA

View Full Version : Heisley is up to his old tricks/The legalities and cost of moving Grizz

mzgrizz
03-17-2012, 07:56 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-heisley-ellison-mccourt-grizzlies-dodgers-20120317,0,7917857.story

Also reported in the Memphis Commercial Appeal but that story stresses his desire to sell locally. I think he's trying to force his hand.
Any longtime Grizz fans may remember the legal details of exactly WHEN the Grizz could legally relocate??

mzgrizz
03-18-2012, 10:26 AM
The details are that the Grizz cannot be moved until 2021 without hundreds of millions of penalty and has to have the city of Memphis' approval.
Sigh of relief!

MrfadeawayJB
03-18-2012, 04:46 PM
thats good to know!!! I beleive if we have playoff success we will have sustained attendance go up over the years to come!

cgreenhill
03-23-2012, 07:06 AM
I guess it makes sense for the owner to try to sell the team now that they are a decent team, but as a fan I hate it. I have been a Grizzlies fan since the day they moved to Memphis. Now they come off winning their first playoff series, and follow that up with a pretty good year, currently 4th in the West, and there is a chance they may be sold, and moved. Moved to San Jose, CA of all places. Why would CA even want another team to begin with. The Golden state warriors, and the Sacramento Kings are proof that you won't have any fans. The only teams that anyone care about in CA are the teams in LA. The only good news I am hearing is that the owner is asking about $100 million more than the team is worth, and that they have about 10 years left on their lease with the FEDEX forum. People need to start showing their pride in this team before some jerk tries to move them away.

MrfadeawayJB
03-23-2012, 10:08 AM
I hope winning will solve the issue. People in memphis will support a winner, as evidence in the tigers. The problem is that these hard economic times have hit memphis as hard as anyone

mzgrizz
03-25-2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/mar/25/strong-lease-ties-griz-to-city/
Here's the skinny. Ellison or anyone could potentially move them but that would make this franchise the most expensive sale in NBA history. And there are safeguards for the city and county to actually step in. Looks like Memphis will have the Grizzlies until 2021 and even beyond.
Now we need them to make us love them again

mzgrizz
03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
New news today. Heisley will NOT sell to Ellison. They wanted to move our boys and Heisley pulled the plug. Yay for big Mike!!

MrfadeawayJB
03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Good Move Heisley! Much more respect for you now!!!