PDA

View Full Version : Bryant is leading the NBA in free-throws made

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:20 AM
With 22-25 games left in the NBA season, thirty-three year old Kobe Bryant is leading the NBA in free-throws made. He leads second place (Kevin Love) by ten FTM. Bryant is averaging his most FTA and FTM since the 2007-2008 season.

Free-throw leaders through 3/17/2012
Bryant: 292
Love: 282
Durant: 278
James: 264
Howard: 235

Who will lead the NBA in most points scored from the charity strike for the 2011-2012 upon season completion?

greg_ory_2005
03-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Kobe I guess. But does it really matter who makes the most FT's?

Raidaz4Life
03-17-2012, 05:35 AM
I'll take Love

ThunderousDemon
03-17-2012, 06:02 AM
I'll take Love

:eyebrow:

YoungOne
03-17-2012, 06:23 AM
I say durant, cause he currently shoots under his career average

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-17-2012, 06:31 AM

hell yes it matters, they are free...hence the word "free" in FT;)

LakersSaintsLSU
03-17-2012, 07:09 AM

:facepalm: kobe hater #3,256,142

DenButsu
03-17-2012, 07:12 AM
:facepalm: kobe hater #3,256,142

Well sure, it does matter. But it does seem to me that the OP may have gone out of his way to find something that Kobe was best at this season.

Are we going to have threads for most field goals, most 3 pointers, most rebounds, most offensive rebounds, most assists, most steals, and most blocks, too?

tredigs
03-17-2012, 07:17 AM
He's been ultra aggressive offensively (to a very clear fault) and gets to the line a lot as a result. He's also a very good foul shooter and hasn't sat out a stretch of games yet this year, so him making the most wouldn't surprise.

Crazy that Dwight is top 5 in makes despite how terrible he is at shooting them. He must average at least 20% more attempts than the rest of the league (similar to Kobe to the rest of the league in field goal attempts).

Regardless, this is a pretty petty thread Bruno, don't you think? We all know Kobe's still insanely aggressive and can still score - even at 'thirty-three years of age'.

NBAfan4life
03-17-2012, 08:59 AM
You guys are some haters.

Bryant or Durant I think

Miami Heat
03-17-2012, 01:30 PM
is this really thread worthy?

sep11ie
03-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Gonna have to chalk this one up to the ol' "Cool story brah".

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Before Love missed a few games, he was leading easily. With Kobe NEVER missing a game, and Love missing 10 a year, Kobe will edge him out. FTM/game, Love wins.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Just looked. Love leads in FTM per game.

Pittz
03-17-2012, 02:18 PM
I think this is interesting. We all know Kobe's scoring is up as he's had to shoulder more of the offensive burden, often taking too many shots. But this is a good indication that he's been driving with the ball and not relying too much on jump shots. His FTA's have been down the last few years.

As for who leads at the end of the year, I'll go with Durant.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I think this is interesting. We all know Kobe's scoring is up as he's had to shoulder more of the offensive burden, often taking too many shots. But this is a good indication that he's been driving with the ball and not relying too much on jump shots. His FTA's have been down the last few years.

As for who leads at the end of the year, I'll go with Durant.

he is just great at selling fouls on the jump shot. He shoots nearly 90% of his attempts from the perimeter. There are guys with much better foul drawing rates, but Kobe just shoots so damn much, he gets hit on the shot versus just dribbling or trying to rebound the ball. I will say as well, anytime Kobe does attack the rim, its pretty much an automatic whistle, where a Dwight or Love get hammered at times with no call, because they are considered "physical" players.

If Love doesn't miss any more games, he will probably overtake Kobe by seasons end.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-17-2012, 03:06 PM
LOL are you guys seriously complaining about this thread? Get real. The kind of crap threads that I have seen in the main NBA forum on a daily basis (without being taken down) makes this look like one of the most interesting topics of the year. Maybe the name Kobe shouldn't have been in the thread title...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-17-2012, 03:12 PM
he is just great at selling fouls on the jump shot. He shoots nearly 90% of his attempts from the perimeter. There are guys with much better foul drawing rates, but Kobe just shoots so damn much, he gets hit on the shot versus just dribbling or trying to rebound the ball. I will say as well, anytime Kobe does attack the rim, its pretty much an automatic whistle, where a Dwight or Love get hammered at times with no call, because they are considered "physical" players.

If Love doesn't miss any more games, he will probably overtake Kobe by seasons end.

Didn't you mean Lebron?

beliges
03-17-2012, 03:12 PM
What Kobe is doing this season, in his 16th year in the league, is unprecedented. Nobodys matched this level of play at this course in their career. But with that said, FTs made is very pointless. It shows his offensive savy and ability to draw fouls even with a tremendous lack of athleticism at this point in his career. Thats why hes one of the 6 or 7 greatest players to ever play the game.

smith&wesson
03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
he demands alot of respect from the refs.

NickyNick
03-17-2012, 03:27 PM
in other news, there is a leader for every stat out there

Bruno
03-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Well sure, it does matter.
Enough said.

But it does seem to me that the OP may have gone out of his way to find something that Kobe was best at this season.
If i wanted to do that, I would have made the thread about who's leading the NBA in points per game. This thread is a discussion of aggression, ability to get to the line, and whether or not posters are surprised that Bryant and Durant are top three, despite the rule change in regards to sweeping through a reach in during a jump-shot (Bryant and Durants speciality). Derail attempt not appreciated Den.

Are we going to have threads for most field goals, most 3 pointers, most rebounds, most offensive rebounds, most assists, most steals, and most blocks, too?

That would depend if posters wanted to make the threads, wouldn't it? Contribution would be nice, if you have any input.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 03:43 PM

I was surprised to see Love close to the top, but he hits at such a high percentage and gets there a lot. He'd for sure be the leader if hadn't missed four games. If Kobe misses any games, I think Love will end up with the most fts made.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 03:47 PM
What's interesting to me is the difference between Durant and Bryant. Durant is getting to the line 2.5 less times per game than he did in 2010. I think the swipe through rule change is taking a bigger toll on Durants trips to the line than Bryants. Kobe keeps getting there because of quantity of shots, but especially because of the head fakes. Durant relied on the sweep through on the jumper just a bit more than Bryant and I think it shows in the stats.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 03:55 PM
He's been ultra aggressive offensively (to a very clear fault) and gets to the line a lot as a result. He's also a very good foul shooter and hasn't sat out a stretch of games yet this year, so him making the most wouldn't surprise. You don't think it's surprising that he's hitting his most FTs per game since 2008?

Crazy that Dwight is top 5 in makes despite how terrible he is at shooting them. He must average at least 20% more attempts than the rest of the league (similar to Kobe to the rest of the league in field goal attempts). That's what I was thinking. Howard leads the NBA in free throw attempts by over 100 attempts, so I guess he'd only have to shoot around 60% to crack the top five. Also gotta remember that Wade has missed a ton of games, I think he'd be there in his place if he hadn't.

Regardless, this is a pretty petty thread Bruno, don't you think? We all know Kobe's still insanely aggressive and can still score - even at 'thirty-three years of age'. Gimme a break dude. I'm sorry if the way I phrased the debate got under your skin, but this is a discussion of aggression in getting to the free-throw line. Go back to the forum home page and look at some of the threads that are being discussed, and ask yourself again if this is a petty thread.

What makes this thread petty is peoples inability to discuss the topic at hand. At least you contributed. It's your choice to post in the thread, simple as that. I see threads I hate every day, I ignore them.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 03:56 PM
By the way, everyone who is *****ing about this thread hasn't answered or discussed the damn question. you guys suck.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Just looked. Love leads in FTM per game.
also interesting that he's hitting .5 more free throws per game, despite his percentage from the line dropping 4% points from last season. I think you can attribute that to MPG he's playin four minutes more per game than he did last season.

Side note: Bryant and Love are top two in minutes per game as well.

basketfan4life
03-17-2012, 04:56 PM

Oh this is compşetely ********, Kobe has been getting the least superstar calls after the colorado incident, i can't believe you take your Kobe hate this far, he got hammered in utah, boston, phoenix, san antonio year after year in playyoffs and regular season, couldn't get a call for his life. Don't misinform people out of you jealousy, he is no LBJ, wade or Durant in regards of getting calls, you know it i know it everybody know it.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Oh this is compşetely ********, Kobe has been getting the least superstar calls after the colorado incident, i can't believe you take your Kobe hate this far, he got hammered in utah, boston, phoenix, san antonio year after year in playyoffs and regular season, couldn't get a call for his life. Don't misinform people out of you jealousy, he is no LBJ, wade or Durant in regards of getting calls, you know it i know it everybody know it.

This is true. Since the Colorado incident, the NBA guys in general have always looked at Kobe Bryant in a negative light. I remember in the 06-07 season where he received 2 games suspensions on 2 separate occasions (4 games total) for flailing his arms when going up to shoot a shot. That was a little over the hill.

And last yr, the gay slur that cost him 100K...really....100K....is Kobe the only one to have ever said a gay slur in the history of the NBA?

The only thing that's kept Kobe afloat and the NBA front office idiots like Stern and Stu Jackson to get off of Kobe's jocks has been his ability to make the Lakers relevant again after Shaq's departure by winning championships, top jersey sales, his never ending skill level, and his fan base which probably generates the most revenue for the NBA with those jersey and merchandise purchases.

Despite the Colorado incident, Kobe is still the ultimate draw and ATM Machine for Stern and his beloved NBA. Kobe makes Dr. Buss 80+ Million dollars a year, so that right there is just more revenue sharing for the league as whole.

That's why ultimately, at the end of the day, like the NBA bowed down to Michael Jordan and his greatness....despite all of Kobe's negative facets, the league ultimately bows down to his greatness.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Didn't you mean Lebron?

No, I meant Kobe. When 88% of your attempts come from the perimeter, yet you get to the line 8 times a night, you are getting every touch foul call alive. He is a superstar, that is what happens.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:24 PM
I was surprised to see Love close to the top, but he hits at such a high percentage and gets there a lot. He'd for sure be the leader if hadn't missed four games. If Kobe misses any games, I think Love will end up with the most fts made.

Love has always had a really high foul draw rate. Now he plays 39 mpg. He pump fakes and smashed into players all the time, and has started learning how to sell fouls. Stars need to understand that they are going to get the calls the majority of the time. So just FORCE the ref to blow his whistle, and you will get some calls.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:25 PM
What's interesting to me is the difference between Durant and Bryant. Durant is getting to the line 2.5 less times per game than he did in 2010. I think the swipe through rule change is taking a bigger toll on Durants trips to the line than Bryants. Kobe keeps getting there because of quantity of shots, but especially because of the head fakes. Durant relied on the sweep through on the jumper just a bit more than Bryant and I think it shows in the stats.

Kobe rarely used the rip-thru. He uses pump fakes and dives in, like most do. Kevin Martin literally sucks now due to them taking away the rip-thru. Durant just had to come up with different ways to score.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-17-2012, 05:27 PM
No, I meant Kobe. When 88% of your attempts come from the perimeter, yet you get to the line 8 times a night, you are getting every touch foul call alive. He is a superstar, that is what happens.

Guys like Battier etc. put their hands in Kobe's face when contesting a shot and hit him right in the face every other trip down. He elevates (especially this yr with the PRP surgery in his knee) well over his opponents, and you know today's non-fundamental NBA players, they always go for the stellar ESPN highlight of blocking a shot, and so whenever they try to do so, they him on the wrist or forearm most often than not. His pump fakes draw defenders up in the air because they lack the discipline. A lot of players get "their hands caught in the cookie jar" when they have their hands close to Kobe's body and he's crafty in that he moves the ball from left to right, raises up, and gets the call.

He's not doing anything that special, it's just that he's smart and has good recognition and reads the scouting report on his defenders for that game and today's non-fundamental immature NBA defenders are flat out stupid.

Bruno
Love has always had a really high foul draw rate. Now he plays 39 mpg. He pump fakes and smashed into players all the time, and has started learning how to sell fouls. Stars need to understand that they are going to get the calls the majority of the time. So just FORCE the ref to blow his whistle, and you will get some calls.

That explains his jump in ppg. He's very savvy at landing the foul call, that's what I've noticed during the wolves/laker games this season. based of 2012 alone, Love is the best PF in the game.

I think his slight drop off in ft% is just because of the increase in minutes. hard to hit at 85% when you're playin 40 a night.

Hawkeye15

of course it sounds like bs to a Lakers fan. Does Kobe get fouled? Yep. But does he get more superstar calls than a ton of other players? Yep.

Hate? haha, you guys grasp for anything. If you don't think Love for instance earns his fouls 10fold over Kobe, you are crazy. The only perimeter players who earn their fouls like a Love or Dwight are ones that attack routinely, the name on the back of the jersey doesn't matter in that regard.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:28 PM
That explains his jump in ppg. He's very savvy at landing the foul call, that's what I've noticed during the wolves/laker games this season. based of 2012 alone, Love is the best PF in the game.

I think his slight drop off in ft% is just because of the increase in minutes. hard to hit at 85% when you're playin 40 a night.

I would guess that accounts for his drop in FT and Three %. Fatigue. Love isn't the athletic specimen of a Kobe or LeBron, where he never gets tired.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Kobe rarely used the rip-thru. He uses pump fakes and dives in, like most do. Kevin Martin literally sucks now due to them taking away the rip-thru. Durant just had to come up with different ways to score.

i dono man, i've seen Kobe do a lot of rip-thrus in his day. are we gona spllit hairs here? :laugh2:

great point on martin. i forgot about him as one of the main executors of the rip-thru. he's down six points this season. man. so we'd maybe argue that martin and durant were most effected by the change in the rule? Durant is only at one less attempt per game this season, opposed to last. that's one less rip through call every other game?

LakersSaintsLSU
03-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Well sure, it does matter. But it does seem to me that the OP may have gone out of his way to find something that Kobe was best at this season.

:facepalm:kobe hater # zillion

basketfan4life
03-17-2012, 05:32 PM
of course it sounds like bs to a Lakers fan. Does Kobe get fouled? Yep. But does he get more superstar calls than a ton of other players? Yep.

Hate? haha, you guys grasp for anything. If you don't think Love for instance earns his fouls 10fold over Kobe, you are crazy. The only perimeter players who earn their fouls like a Love or Dwight are ones that attack routinely, the name on the back of the jersey doesn't matter in that regard.

i watch almost every laker game since 2000, kobe a lot of times doesn't even get ordinary player calls, you throw BS out of assumptions. is it about 19 straight?

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Guys like Battier etc. put their hands in Kobe's face when contesting a shot and hit him right in the face every other trip down. He elevates (especially this yr with the PRP surgery in his knee) well over his opponents, and you know today's non-fundamental NBA players, they always go for the stellar ESPN highlight of blocking a shot, and so whenever they try to do so, they him on the wrist or forearm most often than not. His pump fakes draw defenders up in the air because they lack the discipline. A lot of players get "their hands caught in the cookie jar" when they have their hands close to Kobe's body and he's crafty in that he moves the ball from left to right, raises up, and gets the call.

He's not doing anything that special, it's just that he's smart and today's non-fundamental immature NBA defenders are flat out stupid.

His pump fake on the perimeter is incredible. You don't even notice it until they show a floor view. He has maybe the best one I have seen. He has basically picked up the vet tricks, still has athletic ability, and his name gets him calls when its questionable(as does every star).

This is not at you, its to Laker fans. Please don't think I am saying some fouls on Kobe don't get called. I know they do. But you can't sit here and tell me Kobe has more missed foul draws than a Martel Webster, or another average SG in the NBA. He absolutely gets some calls that only a few others would. Its called being a superstar.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:34 PM
i watch almost every laker game since 2000, kobe a lot of times doesn't even get ordinary player calls, you throw BS out of assumptions. is it about 19 straight?

Maturity level dude.

See the post below yours. I find it ironic how Laker fans, well most of you at this point, look through my posts and blow off everything but what they perceive as me criticizing Kobe.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-17-2012, 05:34 PM
His pump fake on the perimeter is incredible. You don't even notice it until they show a floor view. He has maybe the best one I have seen. He has basically picked up the vet tricks, still has athletic ability, and his name gets him calls when its questionable(as does every star).

This is not at you, its to Laker fans. Please don't think I am saying some fouls on Kobe don't get called. I know they do. But you can't sit here and tell me Kobe has more missed foul draws than a Martel Webster, or another average SG in the NBA. He absolutely gets some calls that only a few others would. Its called being a superstar.

I see where you're coming from. Kobe's defenders become more under the radar and refs probably do nit-pick on everything that his defenders are doing.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:35 PM
i dono man, i've seen Kobe do a lot of rip-thrus in his day. are we gona spllit hairs here? :laugh2:

great point on martin. i forgot about him as one of the main executors of the rip-thru. he's down six points this season. man. so we'd maybe argue that martin and durant were most effected by the change in the rule? Durant is only at one less attempt per game this season, opposed to last. that's one less rip through call every other game?

He doesn't do it as pathetically blatant as Durant and Martin. They flail all over the court on a nightly basis before this year.

Martin is BY FAR AND AWAY the most effected by the rip-thru rule change. Durant just stopped with it and started finding other ways to score.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I would guess that accounts for his drop in FT and Three %. Fatigue. Love isn't the athletic specimen of a Kobe or LeBron, where he never gets tired.

but he's getting there wouldn't you say? this year he's looked much more fit.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:39 PM
I see where you're coming from. Kobe's defenders become more under the radar and refs probably do nit-pick on everything that his defenders are doing.

I am the first one in the Wolves board to tell them to shut up when they cry about Love not getting calls. Are you serious? He will dribble into a pileup, and then find a body and flail all over the place like a dead fish, and he is getting 2 FT's. Stars get calls, period. Once in a while it backfires, where they don't get the call when they get hammered, but in general the whistle favors them. And why is a guy getting 8-10 FTAs a game? Um, cause he is a ****ing good scorer who can draw fouls haha.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
but he's getting there wouldn't you say? this year he's looked much more fit.

He lost 25 lbs, so yeah, he can go for 82 games at 35 mpg. But they do need to find a way to cut his minutes down 3-4 minutes next year. Derrick Williams should help.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
He doesn't do it as pathetically blatant as Durant and Martin. They flail all over the court on a nightly basis before this year.

Martin is BY FAR AND AWAY the most effected by the rip-thru rule change. Durant just stopped with it and started finding other ways to score.

yeah. Durant seems to have adopted the Dirk one leg jumper in its place?

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM
He lost 25 lbs, so yeah, he can go for 82 games at 35 mpg. But they do need to find a way to cut his minutes down 3-4 minutes next year. Derrick Williams should help.

you don't see love as being a 39 mpg guy in his prime?

Kobes minutes per game this season is terrible. i'm afraid hes gona lose his legs for playoffs.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 05:43 PM
yeah. Durant seems to have adopted the Dirk one leg jumper in its place?

That and look at this:

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kevin%20Durant

He has stopped taking so many long 2's (the lowest percentage shot in the game), and attacked the rim more. Anytime you replace two 20 footers with two 4 footers, your efficiency goes up.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:45 PM

i take zero issue with this. it's true. kobe gets super-star calls. as do all the top 5-7 guys.

what gets irritating is when a super-star gets to the line for a ticky-tack foul, only to not get the whistle when hammered. Officials have a hard job, but that's what seems to annoy fans the most.

CudiOnMyiPod
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Uh oh. If you don't either say Kobe is better than Jordan or say he is the best player today, you're a hater!

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
That and look at this:

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kevin%20Durant

He has stopped taking so many long 2's (the lowest percentage shot in the game), and attacked the rim more. Anytime you replace two 20 footers with two 4 footers, your efficiency goes up.

that's fantastic, thanks for that.

makes me think of Wade and LBJ shooting less three this year. It's really smart. What's interesting to me is that wades FTA is down by a fairly large margin this year, despite his wise decision to shoot inside the arch almost exclusively. Any heat fans have an explanation for this? LBJ gets to the line at a dominant rate, but it's gona be hard to lead in most made when you're shooting 75%. which is still pretty good.

Crackadalic
03-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Kobe and Love are both 1 and 2 at FT's made. I say Kobe takes it just based on him playing more games unless Love goes crazy the next 22+ games

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Uh oh. If you don't either say Kobe is better than Jordan or say he is the best player today, you're a hater!

not here man.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Kobe and Love are both 1 and 2 at FT's made. I say Kobe takes it just based on him playing more games unless Love goes crazy the next 22+ games

honestly, if Kobe misses even one game i see Love takin' this category.

CudiOnMyiPod
03-17-2012, 05:55 PM
not here man.

;)

But on a serious note, I don't think that Kobe at the top of this list is surprising at all. Now if Deron Williams was at the top I'd be surprised.

willabeast77
03-17-2012, 05:55 PM
I dont see Kobe leading it by the end of the season. He'll eventually slow down and his free throws will start missing.

tredigs
03-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Right, but only 0.8 FT attempts a game lower than his per-36 last season in 10-11 (playing slightly more minutes). And that rule did not take place until this season. But I would say that the rule has knocked off about 2 FTA's a game from his average (not to say those points are gone. He's just not getting them from the line). He did seem to love utilizing it at least as much as anyone else in the NBA the past couple years.

As for Kobe, it's interesting to note that his per-36 FTA's and FT% are the EXACT clone of his career numbers. Down to the tenth of a percent in his 83.7% shooting.

Also interesting to note that he's getting to the paint significantly less than his career average, while Durant has increased his paint shots/production this year (HoopData). The wild increase in Kobe's field goal attempts seems to primarily coming from mid-long range jumpers and threes. Which would explain the 43% shooting.

So looking deeper, him leading the league in Free Throw attempts seems to be due to his durability/minutes played this season (while maintaining his career average free throw attempts/makes) and most of the other superstars either taking games off or playing less minutes.

basketfan4life
03-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Please don't think I am saying some fouls on Kobe don't get called. I know they do. But you can't sit here and tell me Kobe has more missed foul draws than a Martel Webster, or another average SG in the NBA. He absolutely gets some calls that only a few others would. Its called being a superstar.

And i am not saying he is not getting superstar calls at times. But if you've really been watching lakers games closely trough all these years, you'd know how many times he ****ed up by the refferees. He is nowhere close to lbj wade level of treatment. When people talk about superstar calls everybody assumes he gets it as much as wade or lebron, but it's not even close. Kobe hammered really hard alot of games especially in the playoffs and couldn't get calls.

All those 06-07 suns series, 08 celtics series can quickly give you an idea if you watch just one game. once there was a bum on his forehead and he couldn't even get the call.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 06:01 PM
you don't see love as being a 39 mpg guy in his prime?

Kobes minutes per game this season is terrible. i'm afraid hes gona lose his legs for playoffs.

No, Love shouldn't be playing those minutes unless he continues to morph his body. I am trying to remember, but players are more effective and have a longer prime when they are held to 31-34 mpg. Obviously some freaks like Kobe or LeBron seem to never tire, but look at the finals last year. LeBron not only choked, but you could tell all that wear and tear in 82+playoffs killed him. Love should be in that 34-35 mpg area, but that will require a good bench up front, which I think we will have by next season.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 06:03 PM
i take zero issue with this. it's true. kobe gets super-star calls. as do all the top 5-7 guys.

what gets irritating is when a super-star gets to the line for a ticky-tack foul, only to not get the whistle when hammered. Officials have a hard job, but that's what seems to annoy fans the most.

FOR SURE dude. But there it is again, selective memory. Many Lakers fans, and every superstars fans, choose to remember the missed calls and forget when their star gets the totally ******** calls. But yep, its frustrating.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 06:07 PM
And i am not saying he is not getting superstar calls at times. But if you've really been watching lakers games closely trough all these years, you'd know how many times he ****ed up by the refferees. He is nowhere close to lbj wade level of treatment. When people talk about superstar calls everybody assumes he gets it as much as wade or lebron, but it's not even close. Kobe hammered really hard alot of games especially in the playoffs and couldn't get calls.

All those 06-07 suns series, 08 celtics series can quickly give you an idea if you watch just one game. once there was a bum on his forehead and he couldn't even get the call.

Its like I just explained to Bruno. Wolves fans are becoming so guilty of this too. They remember the blown calls, but they ignore the makeup that follows, and all the ticky tack foul calls their guy got along the way. It wasn't me picking at Kobe, the same can be said about Love. He gets absolutely hammered sometimes with no call, and a play later a guy blows him a kiss and he gets a call. Ridiculous.

I really get sick of people and their "lbj treatment". LeBron CREATES contact all the time. Hence why he is getting calls. When you are a jumpshooter, you aint getting as many calls as an attacker. Fact.

basketfan4life
03-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I really get sick of people and their "lbj treatment". LeBron CREATES contact all the time. Hence why he is getting calls. When you are a jumpshooter, you aint getting as many calls as an attacker. Fact.

It is a fact and i don't deny it, but he gets calls when there is no contact, he doesn't fet called numerous times when he fouls (didn'y you read how epic FPG he has, despite being a very agressive defender? )...There really is lbj treatment... And i know Kobe gets some calls too, it's not selective memory, don't think it is, actually i think you have a selective memory about Kobe getting fouled. Kobe really got ****ed a lot, if you watch lakers games on this subject a little closer from now going on, i'm sure you are going to notice it.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 06:17 PM
It is a fact and i don't deny it, but he gets calls when there is no contact, he doesn't fet called numerous times when he fouls (didn'y you read how epic FPG he has, despite being a very agressive defender? )...There really is lbj treatment... And i know Kobe gets some calls too, it's not selective memory, don't think it is, actually i think you have a selective memory about Kobe getting fouled. Kobe really got ****ed a lot, if you watch lakers games on this subject a little closer from now going on, i'm sure you are going to notice it.

I have watched plenty of Laker games over the years. He gets star calls. Does he get fouled some and not get a call? Sure. All stars do. I just don't buy into he gets it worse than anyone else. Like I said, when you are shooting 88% of your shots from outside, and lead the league in FTM, you are getting calls.

Anyways, I think you and I have an understanding man.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 06:39 PM
;)

But on a serious note, I don't think that Kobe at the top of this list is surprising at all. Now if Deron Williams was at the top I'd be surprised.

For sure. I'm kinda surprised myself. Last season Bryant wasn't top five in free-throws made, despite playing all 82 games. This season he is the leader through this far in the season. It's a combination of the rule change effecting Durant/Martin type players, Wades injury/drop off in FTA per game, and Bryants slightly quicker reaction time on the perimeter/playing five more minutes per game, if i had to say.

I dont see Kobe leading it by the end of the season. He'll eventually slow down and his free throws will start missing.

me neither. I think Love or Durant take the category. All kobe has to do is miss one game and he'll be passed. I think he'll miss one.

Right, but only 0.8 FT attempts a game lower than his per-36 last season in 10-11 (playing slightly more minutes). And that rule did not take place until this season. But I would say that the rule has knocked off about 2 FTA's a game from his average (not to say those points are gone. He's just not getting them from the line). He did seem to love utilizing it at least as much as anyone else in the NBA the past couple years.

Totally. would you agree that Durant has kind of adopted the Nowitzki one foot jumper from the elbow? I don't remember seeing a lot of that from his game last season, Id say the development of that shot has helped to make up for the slight difference in points from the line. Also, great point on his number dropping slightly before the rule change as well. I can't think of another player, besides Kevin Martin, who utilized the sweep through more than Durant.

As for Kobe, it's interesting to note that his per-36 FTA's and FT% are the EXACT clone of his career numbers. Down to the tenth of a percent in his 83.7% shooting. I noticed that too. A big part of this is Bryant just playing a lot of minutes, and taking a lot of shots this year. He has perfected getting people to bite on those perimeter pump fakes through.

Also interesting to note that he's getting to the paint significantly less than his career average, while Durant has increased his paint shots/production this year (HoopData). The wild increase in Kobe's field goal attempts seems to primarily coming from mid-long range jumpers and threes. Which would explain the 43% shooting.
I've been complaining about his three point shot all season. although last night was the flip side. he was 5-7? from three and couldn't hit a shot from inside the arch to save his life. I'd like to see him take the wade/james approach. I think he believe he has to keep shooting through it, and that it's too important to ditch. he needs defenders to believe that he will shoot from the arch, in order to get chase-outs, which will allow him to get to the bucket.

So looking deeper, him leading the league in Free Throw attempts seems to be due to his durability/minutes played this season (while maintaining his career average free throw attempts/makes) and most of the other superstars either taking games off or playing less minutes.
I'd agree. everything you said, combined with him getting defenders to bite on that pump fake seems to be the reason.

No, Love shouldn't be playing those minutes unless he continues to morph his body. I am trying to remember, but players are more effective and have a longer prime when they are held to 31-34 mpg. Obviously some freaks like Kobe or LeBron seem to never tire, but look at the finals last year. LeBron not only choked, but you could tell all that wear and tear in 82+playoffs killed him. Love should be in that 34-35 mpg area, but that will require a good bench up front, which I think we will have by next season. 35 is probably perfect for Love.

Too many minutes is too many minutes. LeBron just ran out of steam. Spo is doing an especially great job limiting Wades MPG this year. really smart.

FOR SURE dude. But there it is again, selective memory. Many Lakers fans, and every superstars fans, choose to remember the missed calls and forget when their star gets the totally ******** calls. But yep, its frustrating.

yeah. you remember the ones you don't get and take for granted the ones you do.

xILLN355
03-17-2012, 06:40 PM
whats up with those people copying posters? is it one person making accounts just to troll? lol

tonyd3b54
03-17-2012, 06:44 PM
kobe's 2nd in ft's attempted and 1st in field goals attempted this year by about 200 attempts. what does this mean? kobe is the biggest ball hog in sports.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 07:09 PM
kobe's 2nd in ft's attempted and 1st in field goals attempted this year by about 200 attempts. what does this mean? kobe is the biggest ball hog in sports.
great insight.

zizo
03-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Hawkeye15 with 18 posts in this thread :facepalm:

i wander how did it feel when Lakers won the titles and Kobe with b2b FMVP's

sad past three summers

Bruno
03-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Hawkeye15 with 18 posts in this thread :facepalm:

i wander how did it feel when Lakers won the titles and Kobe with b2b FMVP's

sad past three summers
18 posts of solid contribution.

wish laker fans would get off hawkeyes ***. at least his criticism is backed up, that can't be said of 90% of people who criticize kobes game.

Baller1
03-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Durant is actually shooting terribly from the line this season (on his standards), so I think he has a good shot of getting there.

I'll say Love though if he's able to stay healthy.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Durant is actually shooting terribly from the line this season (on his standards), so I think he has a good shot of getting there.

I'll say Love though if he's able to stay healthy.

why do you think durants % is down?

I picked Durant, because I think Bryant and Love will miss more games from here out. LAL might sit Bryant before playoffs if they secure the #2 spot/can't catch OKC. and Love seems likely to miss a game or two. Then again, if OKC locks up the top spot, maybe he's the one who's rested.

TopsyTurvy
03-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Hook Kobe up to a dialysis machine in the locker room and he plays out of his mind.

It's unfortunate the Lakers (pre-deadline) couldn't keep up with him. Will be interesting to see what happens in the last month or so of the season.

Chronz
03-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Im curious what the foul draw rate looks like.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Im curious what the foul draw rate looks like. that includes all fouls not just shooting fouls?

Bruno
03-17-2012, 09:55 PM
side point: which of the leaders benefits the most from being the designated shooter for T's, and late game fouling in close games? kobe love and durant?

DenButsu
03-17-2012, 10:15 PM
:facepalm:kobe hater # zillion

You are freakin ridiculous.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 10:36 PM
side point: which of the leaders benefits the most from being the designated shooter for T's, and late game fouling in close games? kobe love and durant?

Ridnour takes every FT on tech's.

Raph12
03-18-2012, 01:43 AM
If only Dwight shot even 70% at the line... 48% :puke:

Aust
03-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I think Kobe will slow it down with the addition of Sessions to handle the ball more.

Still crazy and unexpected though. The past 2 seasons Kobe barely went to the line

BradfordIsElite
03-18-2012, 11:17 AM
We should just make threads pointing out the categories Kobe doesn't lead in... they'd stand out more

JayW_1023
03-18-2012, 01:26 PM
He should be the MVP, seriously.

LA_Raiders
03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Durant or Kobe...

marferrer
03-18-2012, 01:56 PM
kobe wins it this year

Bruno
04-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Kevin Love leading as of 4/5/2012