PDA

View Full Version : How much better does Ramon Sessions make the Lakers?

kjoke
03-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Can they beat the Thunder, Spurs, ect come playoff time?

I think he will be a solid addition. I think most important is that the ball will be out of Kobe's hands, so I could see Pau and Bynum get more touches, which is a pretty good thing.

OA SLAY
03-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Bout 4%

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 04:44 PM
On paper he's certainly an upgrade to Fisher but Sessions is also the type of PG that needs the ball in his hands creating for himself and others to be most effective (at least that was the case in Cleveland) so we'd see how that plays out on the floor. Good pickup regardless IMO. It makes them better than they were before if you ask me.

tredigs
Can they beat the Thunder, Spurs, ect come playoff time?

I think he will be a solid addition. I think most important is that the ball will be out of Kobe's hands, so I could see Pau and Bynum get more touches, which is a pretty good thing.

This late in a season with little to no practices, I'd say the lack of leadership/continuity that they take a hit on by losing Fisher right now makes it about a wash. Sessions is maybe the 25th best PG in the league; Westbrook and Parker are going to shred him.

If it does make them better, in my opinion it's not enough to put them over the hump. That will be on their bigs; specifically Bynum. Who is now their most dangerous player.

JordansBulls
I don't get how a guy who may be like your 6th or 7th best player is supposed to make you that much better.

Jenceman
03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Significantly. They'd beat San Antonio even without Sessions most likely. And this let's them compete with the Thunder. Thunder are still better however, but it wouldn't be some huge upset.

Sessions literally almost doubles Fisher's PER.

nycericanguy
03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
To be honest I don't think that much better. I was very surprised that they traded Fisher. He's a good leader for them and he's very experienced with that group and has their respect. Not to mention he's always been a solid 3 point shooter for them.

Sessions is better, but he's not a very good outside shooter, and I'm not so sure I would trust him in big games. This is the same Sessions who was beat out by Flynn and Ridnour in MIN.

I think they should have kept Fisher as a backup, they don't need Hill, and they gave away a first rounder on top of it.

Jenceman
03-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't get how a guy who may be like your 6th or 7th best player is supposed to make you that much better.

Who the hell else is better than him outside of Bynum, Kobe, and Pau? He is far and away the Lakers 4th best player.

kjoke
03-16-2012, 04:46 PM

7th best? Who are the top 6?

Lakeshow24KB
03-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Jose Calderon won't drop 30+ again, neither will Jarret Jack, or any other average PG.

CudiOnMyiPod
03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
It makes them better but they still can't beat OKC or San Antonio.

LakersSaintsLSU
03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Just watch and see.....haters gonna hate

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 04:49 PM

JB could you list the players you have ahead of Sessions on the Lakers roster. I'll give you a head start

1. Kobe 2. Gasol 3. Bynum ...... now your turn

LTBaByyy
03-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Not that much at all, Kobe is the primary ball handler

Sessions is not even a top 25 PG

kdspurman
03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Significantly. They'd beat San Antonio even without Sessions most likely. And this let's them compete with the Thunder. Thunder are still better however, but it wouldn't be some huge upset.

Sessions literally almost doubles Fisher's PER.

Without Sessions? You realize the Lakers would have to win on the road right? We haven't matched up with LA yet, but to say they'd win without Fisher? What makes you think that? Cause of how LA utilizes their size? :rolleyes:

Jenceman
03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
To be honest I don't think that much better. I was very surprised that they traded Fisher. He's a good leader for them and he's very experienced with that group and has their respect. Not to mention he's always been a solid 3 point shooter for them.

Sessions is better, but he's not a very good outside shooter, and I'm not so sure I would trust him in big games. This is the same Sessions who was beat out by Flynn and Ridnour in MIN.

I think they should have kept Fisher as a backup, they don't need Hill, and they gave away a first rounder on top of it.

I hate replying to every single post, so I apologize for hijacking the thread. However, while Fisher's leadership and intangibles helped, they are nothing compared to what Sessions can bring to the team. Kobe's putting up almost 4 TOs a game, the Lakers desperately need another ball handler. I don't get why people overlook this. Kobe, as great as he is, is no point guard. Good passer, not a point guard.

And hell Sessions has actually outshot Fish this season :laugh2:

Sessions: 26-62 3PFG, 41.9%

Fisher: 24-74 3PFG, 32.4%

I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I'm the biggest Fisher fan in the world. He has literally been my favorite player since he returned from a nasty injury and lit up the Celtics in a reg. season game in 01 (I was a kid, cut me some slack). Fisher is ****ing awesome, and if anybody was ever clutch, it was Derek ****ing Fisher. I was heartbroken to see him traded, it still doesn't feel right. However, I will not deny that Sessions is twice the player Fisher is. Fisher got old. It happens. He will always be one of my all time favorites. If not my favorite.

He will retire a Laker.

The Final Boss
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Lol Jordan bulls.

29$JerZ
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
The swapped Fisher/Walton for some actual productive players
They should be much better

Enough to be a title contender? Idk yet.
All I know is they did upgrade

showtym24
03-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Ramon getting disrespected.

justinnum1
Bout 4%

thats a little generous, no? i was thinking in the 3.65-3.68% range

Jenceman
Without Sessions? You realize the Lakers would have to win on the road right? We haven't matched up with LA yet, but to say they'd win without Fisher? What makes you think that? Cause of how LA utilizes their size? :rolleyes:

Defense and yes, the Lakers size. Lakers always play well against SA. Dating back to Shaq- Kobe days. Spurs cannot match Gasol- Bynum, nor can they effectively match Kobe. If you thought the Grizz were a bad matchup, the Lakers would be nightmare. With Sessions now, a playoff matchup wouldn't go very far I think. It's a matchup thing.

Hawkeye15
03-16-2012, 04:59 PM
On paper he's certainly an upgrade to Fisher but Sessions is also the type of PG that needs the ball in his hands creating for himself and others to be most effective (at least that was the case in Cleveland) so we'd see how that plays out on the floor. Good pickup regardless IMO. It makes them better than they were before if you ask me.

I have explained this to countless people. Sessions isn't a very good shooter, so if they expect him to play the role Fisher has, they won't get that big of an upgrade. I would expect some wrinkles in the offense that allow Sessions to use his strengths, which is creating his shot and shots for others.

kdspurman
03-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Defense and yes, the Lakers size. Lakers always play well against SA. Dating back to Shaq- Kobe days. Spurs cannot match Gasol- Bynum, nor can they effectively match Kobe. If you thought the Grizz were a bad matchup, the Lakers would be nightmare. With Sessions now, a playoff matchup wouldn't go very far I think. It's a matchup thing.

Lakers size mean's nothing if Kobe is shooting 25+ shots. And the Lakers have no one to effectively match Parker either. Not to mention the Spurs clearly have a deeper team.

I get it would be a close matchup that can go either way, but you're making it as if Lakers are clearly "the dominant team" like Shaq is still there.

And Manu played with a broken elbow vs the Grizz. Despite the Grizz's size, Manu not being 100% was just as much the deciding factor as he missed game 1

LTBaByyy
03-16-2012, 05:00 PM
He is playing with Kobe, Bynum, and gasol

He is not going to make them any different by being a spot up shooter BC he sure ain't scoring

If he was a passing PG like Nash/Kidd/Rubio then they would be wayyyyyy better

tredigs
03-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Just looked at the career head-to-heads of Sessions versus Tony Parker and Westbrook. They both averaged ~15 and 10 on really high efficiency while Sessions averaged about 5 and 4 on ~30% from the field (around 20mpg).

I know the Lakers fans are happy to have anybody in place of Fisher, but Sessions just flat out isn't something that you can rely on to be a game changer, especially given how much better the PG's on the west's elite are. And this is a guy with ZERO PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE. No matter how many times the Lakers need to help Fish out defensively throughout the game, he was always a leader and always a guy you could count on late in playoff games if the ball went to him. Sessions? Big fat question mark there, and highly unlikely he handles it nearly as well as Fish did.

LTBaByyy
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Spurs or Thunder is coming out this year

Next year will be a toss up though

Chronz
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Its usually not a game changer to get a league average player, but the Lakers had the most below league average player in their rotation that its a bigger net gain than it would normally be. They really needed him, theyve needed to upgrade the starting slot for years but people are in love with the clutchness of Fish.

nycericanguy
03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I hate replying to every single post, so I apologize for hijacking the thread. However, while Fisher's leadership and intangibles helped, they are nothing compared to what Sessions can bring to the team. Kobe's putting up almost 4 TOs a game, the Lakers desperately need another ball handler. I don't get why people overlook this. Kobe, as great as he is, is no point guard. Good passer, not a point guard.

And hell Sessions has actually outshot Fish this season :laugh2:

Sessions: 26-62 3PFG, 41.9%

Fisher: 24-74 3PFG, 32.4%

I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I'm the biggest Fisher fan in the world. He has literally been my favorite player since he returned from a nasty injury and lit up the Celtics in a reg. season game in 01 (I was a kid, cut me some slack). Fisher is ****ing awesome, and if anybody was ever clutch, it was Derek ****ing Fisher. I was heartbroken to see him traded, it still doesn't feel right. However, I will not deny that Sessions is twice the player Fisher is. Fisher got old. It happens. He will always be one of my all time favorites. If not my favorite.

He will retire a Laker.

The thing is the Lakers didn't have to choose, they could have kept Fisher to backup. Why trade him away AND a first round pick for Hill who probably won't sniff the court come playoff time?

Sessions is average at best, IMO not a starting caliber PG.

And that 41% is kind of misleading, he doesn't shoot alot of 3's because quite frankly he's horrible at it. That seems to be a fluke, the guy came into this year at 27% over 4 seasons from 3 point range.

I would have much more confidence in Fisher taking a big 3 or long jumper than Sessions. I'm not sure you realize how bad of an outside shooter Sessions is, and thats going to hurt LA as their starting lineup really lacks shooters.

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I have explained this to countless people. Sessions isn't a very good shooter, so if they expect him to play the role Fisher has, they won't get that big of an upgrade. I would expect some wrinkles in the offense that allow Sessions to use his strengths, which is creating his shot and shots for others.

In fairness to Ramon this season he has improved his outside shooting but going by his entire body of work then I'd agree that he isn't the worlds best shooter. However playing alongside Kobe, Paul and this version of Andrew Bynum he's figured to get himself quite a few good looks.

Hawkeye15
03-16-2012, 05:08 PM
In fairness to Ramon this season he has improved his outside shooting but going by his entire body of work then I'd agree that he isn't the worlds best shooter. However playing alongside Kobe, Paul and this version of Andrew Bynum he's figured to get himself quite a few good looks.

he has, for sure. And if he can knock down great. There is no doubt he will help the Lakers more than that corpse Fisher did, I just don't see how anyone thinks this puts them over the top.

Jenceman
03-16-2012, 05:09 PM
The Lakers have never had anyone to match up with Parker. Or any top PG. I don't think TP could guard TP. You defend with team defense. And these Lakers can do that.

Sessions numbers as a starter, in 89 career games started, are better than league average. I put this post in the lakers forum:

Gimme a sec...

Okay Sessions' career stats as a starter (89 games- a full season)

14.8 PTS
7.4 AST
4.0 TRB
44.4% FG
27.0% 3PFG
79.7% FT
33.4 MPG

Oh and his averages when he plays 30-39 MPG (64 games- 45 as a starter)

16.7 PTS
6.8 AST
4.3 TRB
47% FG
81% FT
28% 3PFG

These numbers are found here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...sira01/splits/

Also has a PER of 16.4 (19 last year!)

Basically, Sessions is one of those diamonds in the rough, a hidden gem that has played behind PGs that teams were trying to make their franchise guard (Again he played behind Mo Williams and I believe Jennings in Milwalkee, Johnny Flynn, the one year he showed promise, and then Baron Davis and Kyrie Irving).

I think that is above average no? He has proven the ability to pass the ball (7 apg as a starter, 7 when he plays heavy minutes) and he has some nice targets to pass to, and around a 32% AST rate.

fadedmario
03-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I think he's going to have a HUGE impact. Jeremy Lin 2.0

CudiOnMyiPod
03-16-2012, 05:10 PM
I think he's going to have a HUGE impact. Jeremy Lin 2.0

With or without 10 turnover per game?

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
he has, for sure. And if he can knock down great. There is no doubt he will help the Lakers more than that corpse Fisher did, I just don't see how anyone thinks this puts them over the top.

Agreed

fadedmario
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM
With or without 10 turnover per game?

I just mean his stock is going to be MUCH higher two weeks from now. Sessions can play and now he's getting the keys to a great Lakers team.

He's going to surprise some people on here. Starting from day 1 on this Lakers team is going to make him a household name very quickly.

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Just looked at the career head-to-heads of Sessions versus Tony Parker and Westbrook. They both averaged ~15 and 10 on really high efficiency while Sessions averaged about 5 and 4 on ~30% from the field (around 20mpg).

I know the Lakers fans are happy to have anybody in place of Fisher, but Sessions just flat out isn't something that you can rely on to be a game changer, especially given how much better the PG's on the west's elite are. And this is a guy with ZERO PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE. No matter how many times the Lakers need to help Fish out defensively throughout the game, he was always a leader and always a guy you could count on late in playoff games if the ball went to him. Sessions? Big fat question mark there, and highly unlikely he handles it nearly as well as Fish did.

Playoff production beats playoffs experience every time. Sessions is likely going to produce more on both ends of the floor than Fisher is.

I don't have the time right now but I'm going to venture to guess that the majority of those games Sessions came off the bench and really didn't spend much time matched up against Westbrook or Parker. In that case that wouldn't really be an accurate indicator as to how things will pan out from here on out especially seeing now that Sessions is playing alongside the likes of Kobe Bryant Pau Gaol and Andrew Bynum

Hellcrooner
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
barely

willabeast77
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
This is an automatic upgrade from Fisher. Anything above him is good. Laker fans should be celebrating that Fisher is finally gone.

C-Style
03-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Sorry bro but Spurs r one team I'm just not worried about, seen Kobe go ham on yo boys way too many times.

uprightciti
03-16-2012, 05:24 PM
+1

no way they get past OKC or the Spurs

shep33
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
As a Laker fan I don't know if this makes us a lot better, although it does help.

We need some time to gel though. This kid has potential, not many guys can have 20 point and 24 assist games.

Need like 5-10 games to figure it out

FriedTofuz
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Its actually a really underated improvement. Now every pg wont look like an allstar against fisher since hes not here anymore. Given starters minutes sessiosn can really produce and people will start believing that the lakers can win it all this year.

JWO35
03-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Guarantees them to get out the 1st...other than that, nothing

Tymathee
03-16-2012, 05:34 PM
he makes them a lot better. He can actually move his feet, catch up to guards on break aways, has as much strength as fish (even if fish is probably the strongest PG his size in the league), is a better passer than fish, is as good of a shooter, quicker, taller (6'0" vs 6'3") and plays with a lot of heart, sessions will really help the Lakers AND he'll win over his teammates within a week or two because the guy plays haaaard.

C-Style
03-16-2012, 05:34 PM
It helps because it doesn't allow other PG's to relax on the defensive end as much as they used to with Fisher

Tymathee
03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
+1

no way they get past OKC or the Spurs

why? cuz they have better records lol. they can beat both those teams, and now we have a legit PG. They fought toe to toe with the thunder in their home building before the break before they wore out in the 2nd half, now have more talent than the spurs, who always seem to get the very most out of very little, and did we all miss how they throttled the Heat in LA? We forget this huh....

shep33
03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Stealing from Jencemen, I think people should look at this:

Gimme a sec...

Okay Sessions' career stats as a starter (89 games- a full season)
14.8 PTS
7.4 AST
4.0 TRB
44.4% FG27.0% 3PFG
79.7% FT
33.4 MPG

Oh and his averages when he plays 30-39 MPG (64 games- 45 as a starter)

16.7 PTS
6.8 AST
4.3 TRB
47% FG
81% FT
28% 3PFG

These numbers are found here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...sira01/splits/

Also has a PER of 16.4 (19 last year!)

Basically, Sessions is one of those diamonds in the rough, a hidden gem that has played behind PGs that teams were trying to make their franchise guard (Again he played behind Mo Williams and I believe Jennings in Milwalkee, Johnny Flynn, the one year he showed promise, and then Baron Davis and Kyrie Irving).

showtym24
03-16-2012, 05:38 PM
I dont think most non laker fans know just how weak we have been at pg this season. He will help tremendously.

JNA17
03-16-2012, 05:42 PM
A LOT BETTER.

I don't think anyone truly realizes how much the lakers needed a PG, or even a decent one. Fisher was not only the worst starting PG in the league, but he was also THE WORST PG in the league. It's ridicules why he even started or played in the first place.

As someone else has pointed out already, whenever Sessions gets playing time or starts, he comes up as a pretty sweet PG. He gets a good amount of assists, shoots at a solid %, and doesn't turn the ball over that much at all. He doesn't need to put up all star numbers at all. If he can do 10 and 7 at least, that will be a huge upgrade and make the lakers that much better.

shep33
03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Some staggering statistics, and I'm not saying Sessions is the Lakers savior:

-Sessions this season has shot 100 more shots at the rim than Derek Fisher has
-Sessions in 25 mpg as a backup is averaging 10.5 ppg, 5.2 apg, 3.1 rpg
-Fisher in slightly more mpg as the Laker starter was averaging 5.9 ppg, 3.3 apg, 2.1 rpg
-Combined, Steve Blake and Derek Fisher average 11.6 ppg, 6.4 apg... Sessions in half the minutes as those two combined averages 10.5 ppg, 5.2 apg

I still don't think it puts us over the top, we need a bench scorer. Beasley was close to coming (even though I think he's not worth it), who would've at least dropped 10 ppg

LA RO
03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Last time I checked cp3 was better then westbrook n Parker n when kyrie was hurt didn't he put up 24 & 13 against cp3?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-16-2012, 05:48 PM
lol keep hating guys especially tredigs and LTBaby:laugh:

we had like top 50 PG starting in Fisher, now we have sessions who is a 15/8 guy as a starter.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Some staggering statistics, and I'm not saying Sessions is the Lakers savior:

-Sessions this season has shot 100 more shots at the rim than Derek Fisher has
-Sessions in 25 mpg as a backup is averaging 10.5 ppg, 5.2 apg, 3.1 rpg
-Fisher is in slightly more mpg as the Laker starter was averaging 5.9 ppg, 3.3 apg, 2.1 rpg
-Combined, Steve Blake and Derek Fisher average 11.6 ppg, 6.4 apg... Sessions in half the minutes as those two combined averages 10.5 ppg, 5.2 apg

I still don't think it puts us over the top, we need a bench scorer. Beasley was close to coming (even though I think he's not worth it), who would've at least dropped 10 ppg

amen

Tai_chi_bbc
03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I dont think most non laker fans know just how weak we have been at pg this season. He will help tremendously.

exactly, there were multiple times i was cheering for Fisher to get into foul trouble just to get Blake or Glock in

Mcdoh
03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
lets see...basically what we did is salary dump...

fresh prince
03-16-2012, 06:02 PM

Hhahahahahahahah!

We wish!

Kobe
Bynum
Pau

Sessions
Blake

MWP
Barnes
Goudelock
Hill
Mcroberts
Murphy

Sessions makes the Lakers much better, They went from dead last in PG play to middle of the back and MOST importantly added another player besides Kobe who can create shots for others and drive to the rim. Dribble penetration had been non existent!!

Tai_chi_bbc
03-16-2012, 06:05 PM
lets see...basically what we did is salary dump...

I dont think so with the Sessions deal, we were already talking a first for Sessions and when the deadline came our FO somehow convinced em to take Waltons contract and Kapono

kdspurman
03-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry bro but Spurs r one team I'm just not worried about, seen Kobe go ham on yo boys way too many times.

Well you dont need to be worried about them :) I bet previous to last year you weren't worried about the Mavs either. What happened in the past is no longer relevant to now

mamba24
03-16-2012, 06:19 PM

He's replacing the Lakers 15th best player (Fisher)... I dont think the Lakers will be in the finals this year, but i do know they will be much improved. Sessions will surprise some people...

kdspurman
03-16-2012, 06:19 PM
why? cuz they have better records lol. they can beat both those teams, and now we have a legit PG. They fought toe to toe with the thunder in their home building before the break before they wore out in the 2nd half, now have more talent than the spurs, who always seem to get the very most out of very little, and did we all miss how they throttled the Heat in LA? We forget this huh....

When you say more talent what do you mean? Names people recognize?

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 06:23 PM
I think all non-Laker fans are scurred because the Lakers just got a little better overall without giving up one of their big 3. :)

Raph12
03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
This season? Not by much.

Teeboy1487
03-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Surely, he is an upgrade over Fish, but he does not put us over the top.

Cal827
03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I think they can handle basically anybody now. Jordan Hill is also a good back-up. He averages 5-5 in 15 minutes per game.

Bynum's improvement this season, is going to wreak havoc on some of these teams... Memphis might be the quite difficult b/c of the younger gaslol as C.

C-Style
03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Well you dont need to be worried about them :) I bet previous to last year you weren't worried about the Mavs either. What happened in the past is no longer relevant to now

Your right, I wasn't worried about the Mavs as much as I was worried about how bad my own team was already playing.

C-Style
03-16-2012, 06:53 PM
'IF' He manages to average 15-8-4, Lakers become a top 3 back court in the NBA to go along with a top 3 front court.

shep33
03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
He needs some time to gel with these guys.

Avenged
03-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Well, with the emergence of Bynum the Lakers now have a legitimate big 3.

You can't have stars at every position, but his 10 points 5 assists per game with a PER of 16.4 will definitely help. Last season he had a PER of 19.0 as a starter, so if he could provide that type of efficiency I like the Lakers chances a lot more.

shep33
03-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I just wanted to add that even if Sessions doesn't play a single game for the Lakers, LA was somehow able to get rid of Luke Walton and his owed 6.1 Mill next year. He wasn't an expiring this year. I think that's a win right there lol.

Blitzbolt
03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Well the one thing I know is that the Spurs will not get pass the Lakers,Grizzlies or even Utah because of how big they are inside and the Spurs still don't have a shot blocker or rim protector.

shep33
03-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Even as a Laker fan, we're still a very good team, the Spurs and Thunder are pretty damn good... however, the Griz scare me if they're healthy and that chemistry comes together

SA5195
03-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Obvious upgrade over Fisher, but doesn't change the whole team dramatically.

shep33
03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
We still need a bench scorer.

C-Style
03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I think all non-Laker fans are scurred because the Lakers just got a little better overall without giving up one of their big 3. :)

Happens every time Lakers get a player. It happen with Fish, Gasol, Rice and Metta, to name a few.

C-Style
03-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Obvious upgrade over Fisher, but doesn't change the whole team dramatically.

I think theirs a big chance it does offensively, only

Lim
03-16-2012, 07:33 PM
this makes them a lot better. i don't think people realize how much fisher was hurting them these past few seasons.. however replacing odom with troy murphy and jordan hill is a big blow, they are still a few pieces short of being legit contenders imo.

Sssmush
03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
This late in a season with little to no practices, I'd say the lack of leadership/continuity that they take a hit on by losing Fisher right now makes it about a wash. Sessions is maybe the 25th best PG in the league; Westbrook and Parker are going to shred him.

If it does make them better, in my opinion it's not enough to put them over the hump. That will be on their bigs; specifically Bynum. Who is now their most dangerous player.

1st of all, Bynum is great, but Kobe is still the most dangerous player on the Lakers. Maybe the most dangerous player in the league.

2nd, just trading Fisher for air would've been an upgrade in a sense for this team, because he was too ingrained and intransigent and was holding back the system. YES when he was on the court you got the sense that things were more under control, and that he was making good decisions, but he wasn't executing Mike Brown's offense. Just look at all the bad shots by Barnes, Metta and Fish himself, or all the times Kobe gets the ball back into his hands with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.

Just getting rid of Fisher and his contract would've upgraded the Lakers, and allowed them to move forward with the new system, without a 38 year old starting PG who was pulling against the coach.

The fact that you can also plug in a Ramon Sessions, instantly the Lakers best point guard by far, and also have another solid backup big in Jordan Hill, is a big plus for this team.

This Lakers team was probably going to beat OKC anyway, with Artest locking down Durant and Bynum dominating the new, weak ***, Jenny Craig version of Perkins, while Kobe unleashes. With this new lineup though, Lakers match up with OKC even better.

And Miami doesn't want to face LA's bigs, especially if the team is on a hot playoff streak.

C-Style
03-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Thunder are not that scary

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 08:45 PM

They remind me of that 07-08 Laker team. OUt of this world offensively, but very mediocre defensively. But they have no post up game and inside big scoring.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Seriously. No team in the West is really scary. It is wide open. People act like the Thunder are far and away the best team, and it is simply not true. Any number of teams could knock them out of the playoffs. I don't think the Lakers care one bit, even if they suddenly drop to 8th seed and have to play them in the first round.

C-Style
03-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Neither do the Heat

kblo247
03-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I think he helps.

They were pretty much team 3 out west anyhow before the trade and had a shot to KO OKC or SA. The fact is Kobe has came up bigger than Tim the majority of their past playoff matchups. The other fact is that the Lakers bigs have been involved more than people like to admit as they lead the league in attempts for centers, which both have pretty much been for years. Pau and Andrew have also found chemistry for the first time in all the years they played together, as they never had to have it before with Lamar present. Kobe has also been better than he was last year on both ends of the floor, despite Mike Brown playing him 2K like minutes, and hasn't even missed a practice besides with the concussion all season.

Sessions brings interesting dynamics. He can always be on the floor when Kobe sits giving the team dribble penetration. He has shot the 3 better than Ron, Derek, Steve, and Matt who get so many open looks. He could do something unheard of and be an actual guard who gets Kobe some easy buckets.

I ain't saying he is Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but hey the Lakers got to keep Kobe, Pau, and Andrew while adding a pg whose out up numbers which are better than Derek and Steve put together to a team on an upswing winning wise?

OKC doesn't scare me at all because Kobe and Ron have a better chance to limit Westbrook and Durant than any other western team.

And the thing people overlook is that seeding can really help LA as long as they stay in the 2/3/6/7 bracket. The second round will likely be held at Staples with no travel at all for 2 weeks.

Bruno
03-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Its usually not a game changer to get a league average player, but the Lakers had the most below league average player in their rotation that its a bigger net gain than it would normally be. They really needed him, theyve needed to upgrade the starting slot for years but people are in love with the clutchness of Fish.

as of 3/6/2012, Fisher had the 8th worst net average PER in the NBA. tough spot for fisher and the lakers. he really wasn't producing, but the cold blooded nature of his end of game shooting, and his history made it hard to move him.

chitown85
03-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Come on LA...run it. THE WEST IS WIDE OPEN.

kobebabe
03-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Much much better regardless of what everybody think. He is an upgrade over what we were working with

king_of_limbs
03-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Who the hell else is better than him outside of Bynum, Kobe, and Pau? He is far and away the Lakers 4th best player.

im not sure that's something i'd want to be bragging about

ldawg
03-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Sessions help a lot but Had they landed Beasley i would have crown them 2011-2012 champs. But now it depends on what Meta and Barnes give them. Meta is too slow. Sessions needs a running mate and Beasley was that guy.

kblo247
03-17-2012, 12:10 AM

Sure it isn't something to brag aout, but the Lakers have the tp3 seed out west and one of the top records in the league with only Kobe, Pau, Andrew, and their 4th guy being Barnes all year. Think about that for a second

Yakuza
03-17-2012, 01:15 AM
They are the second team in the west and now have a good chance of taking out the thunder in the playoffs. They are 19-2 at home and with the additions of Sessions they will improve their level of basketball. With fisher starting it was like 5-4 and not to mention World Peace.

kArSoN RyDaH
03-17-2012, 01:21 AM
His defense is pretty good from what I've seen tonight. Very lengthy kinda kid and really fast.

Defensively he should help slow down a lot of PGs.

That's a main reason he was brought in. And it's going to help the Lakers a lot.

shep33
03-17-2012, 01:24 AM
They are the second team in the west and now have a good chance of taking out the thunder in the playoffs. They are 19-2 at home and with the additions of Sessions they will improve their level of basketball. With fisher starting it was like 5-4 and not to mention World Peace.

3rd out west

LakersIn5
03-17-2012, 01:32 AM
with fisher gone, im nominating steve blake as the new scapegoat

Bruno
03-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Sessions will make LA much better. Fisher had the eight worst combined PER in the NBA. He is fast, he'll save the legs of the starters, and he'll find easier looks for the bigs and role playing wings/slashers with his penetration. He's also a better defender. He had great chemistry with Barnes in particular during his debut.

LAL is nearly unbeatable at home. best home record in the league, with the two losses combining for only -3. Opening night vs. Chicago was a collapse/fluke. LAL will enter the playoffs as the #2 spot out west. The Sessions deal was brilliant. The Fisher deal was not.

Trueblue2
03-17-2012, 02:27 AM

Try fourth

ThunderousDemon
03-17-2012, 02:54 AM
They're better and that's all that matters and they got rid of Luke Walton, that in it itself is a great feat.

kArSoN RyDaH
03-17-2012, 03:06 AM
I think he helps.

They were pretty much team 3 out west anyhow before the trade and had a shot to KO OKC or SA. The fact is Kobe has came up bigger than Tim the majority of their past playoff matchups. The other fact is that the Lakers bigs have been involved more than people like to admit as they lead the league in attempts for centers, which both have pretty much been for years. Pau and Andrew have also found chemistry for the first time in all the years they played together, as they never had to have it before with Lamar present. Kobe has also been better than he was last year on both ends of the floor, despite Mike Brown playing him 2K like minutes, and hasn't even missed a practice besides with the concussion all season.

Sessions brings interesting dynamics. He can always be on the floor when Kobe sits giving the team dribble penetration. He has shot the 3 better than Ron, Derek, Steve, and Matt who get so many open looks. He could do something unheard of and be an actual guard who gets Kobe some easy buckets.

I ain't saying he is Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but hey the Lakers got to keep Kobe, Pau, and Andrew while adding a pg whose out up numbers which are better than Derek and Steve put together to a team on an upswing winning wise?

OKC doesn't scare me at all because Kobe and Ron have a better chance to limit Westbrook and Durant than any other western team.

And the thing people overlook is that seeding can really help LA as long as they stay in the 2/3/6/7 bracket. The second round will likely be held at Staples with no travel at all for 2 weeks.

Which is why I like MWP. Him and Kobe on the defensive end in crunch time is lock down. Plus Bynum and Pau protecting the lane. Our defense gets better with Sessions because of his athleticism.

He's going to fit good.

He has speed and is lengthy to defend fast PGs.

MickeyMgl
03-17-2012, 03:06 AM

A) He'll be more like their 4th best player. No worse than 5th best whenever Artest plays like the old Artest.

B) His impact reflects how weak the team has been at a key position.

Losoway
03-17-2012, 03:31 AM
the lakers still looked slow as hell tonight ...lmaoo

Bruno
03-17-2012, 03:38 AM

i didn't pick up on that?

ThunderousDemon
03-17-2012, 03:47 AM

Wait.............................................. ..............what?...........................Huh?

What the hell is going on?

sharqstealth
03-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Not much! It only improves them by a tiny tiny bit... If there's anything that'll make them better, its because the trade deadline is over, and Pau can now concentrate on playing ball...

UnWantedTheory
03-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Sessions is an obvious upgrade and will certainly help make them a more well rounded team. That being said, I do not see it as enough to put them in the Finals. As for everyone discounting the Thunder and Spurs you are ignorant, arrogant, or both.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Sessions is an obvious upgrade and will certainly help make them a more well rounded team. That being said, I do not see it as enough to put them in the Finals. As for everyone discounting the Thunder and Spurs you are ignorant, arrogant, or both.

Spurs and Thunder don't play consistent enough defense, the Lakers do.

And the Lakers have the size that neither the Thunder nor the Spurs can compete with.

In a tough 7 game series, Lakers.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-17-2012, 04:41 AM

No one is discounting those teams. All I was trying to say is that the West is wide open, and really anyone could come out on top.

shep33
03-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Not gonna lie, Sessions is a nice upgrade, but we still need a backup 2 guard that can score/hit a 3. Currently that guy is an undersized late 2nd rounder named Andrew Goudelock.

5ass
03-17-2012, 05:51 AM
ya i like that upgrade for the lakers. Hill is a bad move he's nothing more than a decent back up, and they already have Mcroberts and Murphy. Should've got jamal crawford or beasley though.

ThunderousDemon
03-17-2012, 06:00 AM
ya i like that upgrade for the lakers. Hill is a bad move he's nothing more than a decent back up, and they already have Mcroberts and Murphy. Should've got jamal crawford or beasley though.

That fisher trade was about saving money, believe it or not.

RaiderLakersA's
03-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Ramon Sessions will have to be accounted for in ways that Fisher and Blake weren't/aren't.

There will be a learning curve, but once he understands the system, his place within the overall team dynamic, and establishes a winning synergy with Pau, Kobe, Bynum, etc., the Lakers will be an even tougher out than they already are.

I'm not saying that Ramon makes us a sure bet for the Finals or even a deep playoff run. Not at all. But like the Mavs last year, and the Celtics the year before, if this team comes together and gets hot at the right time... watch... out!!!

shep33
03-17-2012, 11:31 AM

It was pretty much a salary dump. Fisher wanted to come back next year and make the 3.4 on his player option. Hill has an option that I doubt we pick up, unless he manages to play great. He's more of a backup center, so we can rest Bynum if need be. But not much else there.

RaiderLakersA's
03-17-2012, 11:36 AM

I'm sure Mitch tried his best to get Crawford or Beasley, but the other GM's get paid, too. They weren't willing to give up players just because Mitch showed up at the door with a sunshiny bright smile and a firm handshake.

I can't knock Mitch for cutting payroll while simultaneously bringing in a decent upgrade at PG. I would have loved to add a quick perimeter scorer, someone who can pierce defenses and hit the bottom of the net with lethal intent any time he has the ball, but that's not realistic, given the Lakers budget constraints.

BRIDGE
03-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Kobe said he felt Sessions had the same winning instinct that he saw in DFish. I like the fit for the Lakers. Sessions is a solid guard in the league and makes them better.

ChiSox219
03-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Don't sleep on Hill, he's a good player.

I think the Lakers still have a run in them or at least have the talent to win a title.

PocketKings
03-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Besides the sentimental aspect of trading Fisher, the trades in the long term were really beneficial.

I mean seriously, they got rid of Luke Walton! I didn't think that was even possible. I thought you would've had to sacrifice a child, be an adult sex-slave for a lengthy period of time, and maybe sell an internal organ or two to even have that possibility be considered.

That in itself should make any grade and impact of these trades to the Lakers a positive.

Sessions is going to provide a very nice upgrade.

Besides Kobe, who can create ANYTHING with the ball in their hands from the perimeter? Yeah, I'll wait for that answer because there isn't an answer. With Sessions they have that now and it's going to be nice seeing an actual PG on the Lakers. I don't expect him to drop ridiculous numbers or anything.

I think the Jordan Hill trade was sneaky good though. He's a servicable big and he can help lower Bynum's minutes. Bynum logging heavy minutes is a good and bad thing with his injury history.

Also the overall roster age just went way lower, didn't think that could happen.

allday823
03-17-2012, 12:25 PM
sessions is literally 5 times better than derek fisher, they actually have speed and athleticism now,i think hes the best possible fit

MickeyMgl
03-17-2012, 12:34 PM
They remind me of that 07-08 Laker team. OUt of this world offensively, but very mediocre defensively. But they have no post up game and inside big scoring.

Huh? :eyebrow:

KOBE24
03-17-2012, 12:41 PM

He was talking about OKC Thunder not having a post up player...

Dstmccoy
03-17-2012, 01:00 PM
First game proved his worth, when was the last time Fisher drove to the basket and scored that quickly and effortless??? '97... Once he gets used to the Offensive and gets some playing time, I see 15/7/4 from him. We just need to focus on the waiver wire for a bench shooter, or I think Arenas really could fill in the backup 2 role nicely. At a pro-rated $300,000 contract, what would that hurt? (with a stipulation that if he pulls any BS is D-League bound or waived).

smith&wesson
03-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Well they just got about 5x better at the pg position.

MickeyMgl
03-17-2012, 01:20 PM
he was talking about okc thunder not having a post up player...

o i c

JayW_1023
03-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Ramon Sessions will have to be accounted for in ways that Fisher and Blake weren't/aren't.

There will be a learning curve, but once he understands the system, his place within the overall team dynamic, and establishes a winning synergy with Pau, Kobe, Bynum, etc., the Lakers will be an even tougher out than they already are.

I'm not saying that Ramon makes us a sure bet for the Finals or even a deep playoff run. Not at all. But like the Mavs last year, and the Celtics the year before, if this team comes together and gets hot at the right time... watch... out!!!

I picked the Lakers before the trades to come out the West, and I still am.

The Final Boss
03-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Okay, smartass, who's 4 are better than Los Angeles'? Consider when minutes are reduced for role players come playoff time. Stop being a sheep, man, it's embarrassing.

PocketKings
03-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Can I be a cute little sheep?

I think they are adorable little animals.

I wouldn't mind owning one.

shep33
03-17-2012, 02:09 PM
I picked the Lakers before the trades to come out the West, and I still am.

Really? Even as a Laker fan, I think we're still not quite up to the level of the Spurs or Thunder. We're good, but we lack shooting and depth pretty badly

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
He looked good last night, though he was just winging it. Obviously Luke Ridnour and JJ Barea are not good defenders at all, but he looked alright. Would have loved to have a healthy Rubio, that would have made a big difference, but he is gone.

chilly
03-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Most of you guys are looking at this the wrong way...

You're trying to compare Sessions to other elite PGs, when what you SHOULD be doing is realizing the Lakers addressing their biggest flaw.

Coming into the season, everyone knew, their flaw was the lack of ability to gaurd at the PG level. Phil's system didn't necessarily need an explosive PG, so he was able to live without it. The NBA is turning into a quick, fast, explosive game in regardless to PGs.

Let's be real, Sessions isn't a top PG right now, but neither is Jeremy Lin & look what he did for the Knicks when he first cracked their rotation. Sessions is big, fast, & strong. He'll keep up Westrbook, CP3, & Parker.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 02:46 PM

You're trying to compare Sessions to other elite PGs, when what you SHOULD be doing is realizing the Lakers addressing their biggest flaw.

Coming into the season, everyone knew, their flaw was the lack of ability to gaurd at the PG level. Phil's system didn't necessarily need an explosive PG, so he was able to live without it. The NBA is turning into a quick, fast, explosive game in regardless to PGs.

Let's be real, Sessions isn't a top PG right now, but neither is Jeremy Lin & look what he did for the Knicks when he first cracked their rotation. Sessions is big, fast, & strong. He'll keep up Westrbook, CP3, & Parker.

pretty much dude. You have those who think he won't help at all, and you have those who think he is the piece that puts them over the top. Right in the middle is the correct answer. They have upgraded their PG from dirt to average. That helps.

beliges
03-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Lakers lack of talent will make it extremely difficult for them to win the title this year. They dont have the personel on paper to match the Thunder, the Bulls or the Heat. However, Sessions fills a major hole in their roster and gives them at least a solid PG as opposed to a complete blank.

Iodine
03-17-2012, 03:15 PM

This

Wolfman01
03-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Ramon Sessions help the Lakers offensive to be more of faster up tempo team. When they use to have Derek Fisher their offensive was slow. The Lakers plays are much faster and players are getting the ball faster too.

LAKERMANIA
03-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Because he is a PG who makes plays for others and himself, making others better in the meantime. We didn't have a PG like this in a long time.

harlequin018
03-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Considering the Lakers had the worst PG situation in the NBA, Sessions is a huge upgrade. Huge. Having said that, he's still only average at best, and his style isn't an ideal fit with how the Lakers run the offense. Either Kobe has to suck it up and let Sessions run the offense when he's on the floor, or watch Ramon clank 3s off the rim when Kobe dishes off the penetration. Ideally though, Sessions should play with the second unit and let Steve Blake play PG with the starters.

5ass
03-17-2012, 04:17 PM
That fisher trade was about saving money, believe it or not.

exactly, they basically traded a 1st to get rid of fisher's contract. They should be looking to get a championship while Kobe is still playing well instead of trying to save 3 mill.

Bruno
03-17-2012, 04:20 PM
exactly, they basically traded a 1st to get rid of fisher's contract. They should be looking to get a championship while Kobe is still playing well instead of trying to save 3 mill.

I agree. LA saved a lot of money for 2013 by shipping Odom, Walton, and Fisher. If they amnesty Artest in the off-season, that's a lot of cash saved. a lot, especially considering the luxury tax. I would have liked to have seen the TE used to get solidify the bench.

ghettosean
03-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Not much really when you look at it on paper but well have to see how it all plays out in the standings in the end. They needed a point gaurd BADLY... Now that they have one.

Stay tuned ;)

sep11ie
03-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Second coming of Magic Johnson... Except without the, well, you know...

JayW_1023
03-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Really? Even as a Laker fan, I think we're still not quite up to the level of the Spurs or Thunder. We're good, but we lack shooting and depth pretty badly

You guys are more built for postseason ball than regular season ball.

The Spurs can't handle two seven footers down low (as much as I hate to admit it, being a Spurs fan), and The Thunder still lack the veteran savvy and post play.

JayW_1023
03-17-2012, 05:28 PM
For the record. Someting tells me Fisher will Fish Flop his way back to the Lakers for the vets minimum.

shep33
03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
For the record. Someting tells me Fisher will Fish Flop his way back to the Lakers for the vets minimum.

Haha, I hope he comes back as like an assistant.

IndyRealist
03-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Jose Calderon won't drop 30+ again, neither will Jarret Jack, or any other average PG.

I'm not sure Ramon Sessions has ever had a defensive reputation.

JayW_1023
03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Haha, I hope he comes back as like an assistant.

Me too. No more Fish Flops. Plus I think he would do well as a coach. I can definitely see him coach the Lakers in the near future.

KobeBeatJeeesus
Lakers size mean's nothing if Kobe is shooting 25+ shots.

Lets see if you say something so ridiculously ignorant again when you get murdered on the boards and in the paint :badidea:. Unless Duncan is rigged to a hoist, don't expect him to get over Gasol and Bynum. :shush:

DoubleDragon
If just last nights small preview of Sessions is any indicator, imO the Lakers improved substantially. He went around Barea a few times like Barea was glued down to the floor. This kid is quick. Sorry to disagree with the naysayers, but this team can contend. Fisher's influence will be missed, but this team just got alot quicker and there was even a rare glimpse of transition offense on top of that. Sessions is FAST on both ends of the floor. The team looked energized again. Sorry, just my glass is half full opinion.

Crackadalic
03-17-2012, 05:59 PM
They needed a quick pg and they got one. I'm not saying it puts them over the top but its the little upgrades that can make a team that much better

Iodine
03-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Under the New CBA the lakers can't sign him again as a player until FA

beliges
03-17-2012, 07:31 PM
If just last nights small preview of Sessions is any indicator, imO the Lakers improved substantially. He went around Barea a few times like Barea was glued down to the floor. This kid is quick. Sorry to disagree with the naysayers, but this team can contend. Fisher's influence will be missed, but this team just got alot quicker and there was even a rare glimpse of transition offense on top of that. Sessions is FAST on both ends of the floor. The team looked energized again. Sorry, just my glass is half full opinion.

Lakers still dont have the talent the Thunder, Bulls or Heat do. Those teams are stacked. Furthermore, the Lakers still have the worse bench in the league and outside their "big 3" they got nobody that can play consistently. However, the way Bynum has become dominant and the way Kobe is playing, this team will have a decent shot. The only team in the West that can beat LA in a 7 game series is the Thunder. The Spurs dont really have much of a chance. If they make the Finals, then anythig can happen.

beasted86
03-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Defensively the Lakers got much better with Sessions and Hill.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-17-2012, 08:18 PM

I was referring to the Thunder. Their bigs in Ibaka and Perk don't give them much inside scoring and they don't have any bigs that can post up to the basket, but the Lakers do.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Me too. No more Fish Flops. Plus I think he would do well as a coach. I can definitely see him coach the Lakers in the near future.

They should have stuck with Shaw. Fisher will be an NBA coach, I guarantee it. And a good one probably.

Fireworld
03-17-2012, 09:04 PM
People need to stop acting like we got John Stockton. I like Sessions only because he's fast and an obvious upgrade over Fisher....and on that note, stop acting like Fisher just died. He just got traded thats all. Everyone is in mourning right now. Weird.

whitemamba33
03-17-2012, 10:05 PM
People need to stop acting like we got John Stockton. I like Sessions only because he's fast and an obvious upgrade over Fisher....and on that note, stop acting like Fisher just died. He just got traded thats all. Everyone is in mourning right now. Weird.

It's not that he's John Stockton...it's that we are going to go from one of the slowest pg's in the league to a faster and MUCH more athletic one.

Having the ball in his hands instead of Kobe's so often is going to be HUGE...as long as Mike Brown can make it happen.

DLCK
03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
It's not that he's John Stockton...it's that we are going to go from one of the slowest pg's in the league to a faster and MUCH more athletic one.

Having the ball in his hands instead of Kobe's so often is going to be HUGE...as long as Mike Brown can make it happen.

this is where the biggest difference will be felt. Less ball handling by Kobe means less shots for Kobe and more for the bigs.. Not to mention with Sessions driving to the lane and creating 100% better then fisher ever could.Its a small modest change. But it will go a long way.

Dionysus
03-17-2012, 10:27 PM
They should have stuck with Shaw. Fisher will be an NBA coach, I guarantee it. And a good one probably.

Yup but Jim being the ultra ****** he is chose a completely incompetent Mike Brown.