PDA

View Full Version : Is Greg Oden a bust?

Aust
03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
With the news that Oden's time in Portland is over, the debate has sprung up again on whether or not he's a bust. I've seen many people on different forums taking each side of the argument.

Greg Oden's career was/has been ruined by injuries, so can you really call him a bust?
Oden has played in just 2 of his five seasons, in 82 career games, one full seasons worth, and is only 24 years old.
He's missed so much time, thanks to 5 knee surgeries, but when he has played he's shown flashes of great potential. So far he hasn't been healthy enough to grasp that potential.

This isnít about a player that didnít have the desire to be great. This is the tale of a player who never got the chance to chase that greatness because he didnít have two good knees to stand on when the time came. And I canít imagine a more cruel fate for any athlete who reached the level Oden did before his injuries started piling up.

It's tough to see Portland go through this with all the scary potential they had. A talented team with a LA, Oden and Roy core would scare the crap outta me as a Laker fan. That's a home grown big 3 that could've potentially rivaled the Heat's big 3 IMO.

mzgrizz
03-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Believe Thabeet was finally bested at busting

BigBlueCrew
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
of course he is a bust. Its been FIVE years!! When you use the word potential 3 times in one post, sorry that's too much.

uprightciti
03-16-2012, 11:18 AM
this is not thread worthy the dude is a scrub with bad knees i would give eddy curry more burn then this dude even if he was healthy
why do you think portland went bonkers last night?!?!!

CUZ THEY BLEW IT WITH ROY AND ODEN!

Baller1
03-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah, it's safe to mark him as a bust now. Really is a sad situation though.

Baller1
03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
this is not thread worthy the dude is a scrub with bad knees i would give eddy curry more burn then this dude even if he was healthy

Oden was very, very far from a scrub when he actually played. He really did have the chance to be great, but his body just wouldn't let him. Sounds like you never really got to see him play.

ichitownclowni
03-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Yes. When you choose him over KD and you release Oden he is a BUST

taniaexbm
03-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah, http://www.vvio.info/jpg1 it's safe to mark him as a bust now. Really is a sad situation though.

it's safe to mark him as a bust now.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
lol, he's a total BUST

nate2usmc
It's really sad. Wasn't his fault he was a bust but he is. I do feel bad for him for his ego but way more for the Portland fanbase because of the inclusion of Roy. UGH. Man, talk about bad luck. As a Knicks fan, I don't even have any room to complain about the recent history. Knicks owner and past management just made knee jerk moves (for a while) and therefore, are laughable. On the other hand, Portland made the right moves and still get screwed.

Baller1
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
it's safe to mark him as a bust now.

Thanks for reiterating that for me spam guy.

PAOboston
03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
i wouldnt consider oden a "bust."

i consider a bust someone who gets drafted high but ends up not being very good on the court. kwame brown was a bust. micahel olowakandi was a bust. when healthy, oden was actually pretty productive. problem is, he's got real bad knee problems. so in a sense, we really never got a chance to see if he could really play or not. so with that reasoning, i dont consider him a total "bust."

but if you're gonna do the entire top picks comparison, then yeah, i guess he's underwhlemed. i just feel bad for portland.

JayHunter
03-16-2012, 11:37 AM
He hasn't played enough to be considered a bust. IMO a bust is someone who has played and hasn't produced.

Azzacadabra
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I don't know it's like part of me says: If he was healthy, he could produce and it's not like he lacked effort. Another part is that he gets injured way to much so I'd say it's like a half bust because we never really will know because of his health.

abe_froman
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM

scrub? i suggest you look him up then come back(but with your roy comment at the end i should have known better that you really have no idea what your talking about)

but to the op-the answer is sadly yes.had all the talent to be great but his body wouldnt let him ...much like sam bowie

Lucky.
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I hate to call someone A bust that never really got A chance. But sadly, he was A bust.

Mcdoh
03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
i feel bad for this guy.. i think if he is healthy he wouldnt be a bust.. but he cant stay healthy..

MrfadeawayJB
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM

i consider a bust someone who gets drafted high but ends up not being very good on the court. kwame brown was a bust. micahel olowakandi was a bust. when healthy, oden was actually pretty productive. problem is, he's got real bad knee problems. so in a sense, we really never got a chance to see if he could really play or not. so with that reasoning, i dont consider him a total "bust."

but if you're gonna do the entire top picks comparison, then yeah, i guess he's underwhlemed. i just feel bad for portland.

Beat me to it. How can you call someone a bust who has never even played that much. A bust is someone who has ample opportunities but still sucks

OA SLAY
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
He's like Sam Jackson in Unbreakable...
Mr. Glass

Hellcrooner
03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
I have problems labeling busts to people that has been heavily troubled by injurys like oden or Stipanovich.

For me a bust is a dude that is actually given the playing time and does nothing of what was expected, like Larue Martin or Kwame.

Aust
03-16-2012, 11:52 AM

He hasn't played enough to be considered a bust. IMO a bust is someone who has played and hasn't produced.

I don't know it's like part of me says: If he was healthy, he could produce and it's not like he lacked effort. Another part is that he gets injured way to much so I'd say it's like a half bust because we never really will know because of his health.

This is what I've been thinking. He's like a semi-bust
Was considering having "semi-bust" a 3rd option

Pierzynski4Prez
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
He's been a bust for a while now.

NoahH
03-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Bad knees still = bust

alencp3
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Bust is someone who had the chance to play for longer but didnt do crap

zB_#85
03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Is this serious???

My god sometimes I just scratch my head at some of these threads. Oden a bust? Lebron having best season ever of all time in the universe? Etc...

Of course he's a ****ing bust. He was drafted #1 overall and has played like 80 games in 5 years. Ask Portland if he's a bust. Become an NBA GM, draft a guy 1st overall and only get a few games out of him in a 5 year stretch and tell me if you think he's a bust. The answer would be yes. A bust is a guy who comes no where near the projected value and when he was taken 1st I would say Portland hasn't gotten their fair return on that #1 pick. I feel bad for him and it's unfortunate injuries have set him off track, but as far as Portlands concerned he busted...

PSD needs a new rule. Must be 18 to sign up and pass an IQ test.

whitemamba33
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Once again....people go on arguing without first establishing a definition for the key term in the argument.

It's REALLY simple:

If your definition of a bust is a player who was drafted early but didn't have the skills at the pro level to justify his draft position...then Oden is not a clear bust.

If your definition of a bust is a player who was drafted early but didn't pan out, regardless of the circumstances....then yes, he's a bust.

But you guys will go on arguing for pages and pages without realizing that you aren't even agreeing on what you are arguing about. It's the same reason why this "clutch" threads go for 1000 pages.

...enjoy.

Kinkotheclown
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM

I agree.
They need to fail on a monumental scale in their respective to be a bust.
He never had the chance.

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 12:46 PM
How could a guy who hasn't gotten the opportunity to prove his worth be a bust? :confused: He was unlucky by no means does that make him a bust. In his time he spent on the floor he proved that his impact alone on D was ALL NBA calibre that alone should tell us that he wasn't a buss but rather unfortunate to have to deal with as many injuries problems as he has.

Now Hasheem Thabeet... he's a bust, Kwame Brown he's a bust, Adam Morrison he's a bust, give Greg Oden have the playing time and health as those guys and I guarantee you he would have been a fringe All Star at worst.

Celticsfan2007
03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
How can a player be labeled as a bust if he hasn't even played?

He's a talented player who can't stay healthy. Labeling him a 'bust' is just stereotyping him to fit in the same category as Hasheem Thabeet. Much different situations IMO.

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Is this serious???

My god sometimes I just scratch my head at some of these threads. Oden a bust? Lebron having best season ever of all time in the universe? Etc...

Of course he's a ****ing bust. He was drafted #1 overall and has played like 80 games in 5 years. Ask Portland if he's a bust. Become an NBA GM, draft a guy 1st overall and only get a few games out of him in a 5 year stretch and tell me if you think he's a bust. The answer would be yes. A bust is a guy who comes no where near the projected value and when he was taken 1st I would say Portland hasn't gotten their fair return on that #1 pick. I feel bad for him and it's unfortunate injuries have set him off track, but as far as Portlands concerned he busted...

PSD needs a new rule. Must be 18 to sign up and pass an IQ test.

Know what's funny about this you only mentioned injuries once when in truth and in fact his injuries are the sole reason anyone in their right mind would consider a underachiever.

Honestly it makes no sense to label someone who hasn't been able to play basketball a bust. None whatsoever.

Once again....people go on arguing without first establishing a definition for the key term in the argument.

It's REALLY simple:

If your definition of a bust is a player who was drafted early but didn't have the skills at the pro level to justify his draft position...then Oden is not a clear bust.

Not a bust by any means. He has been able to produce well while being on the floor despite not living up to all the crazy hype.

If your definition of a bust is a player who was drafted early but didn't pan out, regardless of the circumstances....then yes, he's a bust.

Fair but even so we need to apply context to any discussion of such a nature and in a scenario such as this no context will be applied.

But you guys will go on arguing for pages and pages without realizing that you aren't even agreeing on what you are arguing about. It's the same reason why this "clutch" threads go for 1000 pages.

...enjoy.

I can agree with you here certainly see where you're coming from.

OA SLAY
03-16-2012, 01:07 PM
How can a player be labeled as a bust if he hasn't even played?

He's a talented player who can't stay healthy. Labeling him a 'bust' is just stereotyping him to fit in the same category as Hasheem Thabeet. Much different situations IMO.

How can he not, when he hasn't even played?

Hawkeye15
03-16-2012, 01:09 PM

exactly.

beasted86
03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

It's REALLY simple:

...enjoy.

You're wrong! :mad:

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
How can he not, when he hasn't even played?

:confused:

He was injured. When he played by no means was he a bad player when he was on the floor so how on earth could he be a bust?

Chi City23
03-16-2012, 01:24 PM
pretty simply answer.. yes

BigBlueCrew
03-16-2012, 01:28 PM
:confused:

He was injured. When he played by no means was he a bad player when he was on the floor so how on earth could he be a bust?

When teams draft that high 1.01 - 1.10. They expect immediate results 1 year - 3 years tops. You cant have a guy not play for a full season for 5 years and not call him a bust no matter much potential you think he has shown.

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 01:45 PM
When teams draft that high 1.01 - 1.10. They expect immediate results 1 year - 3 years tops. You cant have a guy not play for a full season for 5 years and not call him a bust no matter much potential you think he has shown.

Do you expect him to get severely injured? If so then why not because when you're Greg Oden's size the possibility of something of that nature happening is extremely high.

I don't just think he has shown potential it has shown by his play on the court especially defensively when he has played. He's played better than Adam Morrison, Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic, Hasheem Thabeet etc etc ever has and those players ever had despite the fact that those players never had to face the type of challenges that he had to.

He115ing
03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Dude has not played in 5 years and was selected 1st overall, yes he is a bust.

aztr0
03-16-2012, 01:55 PM
If he isn't a bust by now, I don't know when...

thekmp211
03-16-2012, 02:11 PM
he wasn't a bust per se, the kid can't get healthy ever. just unfortunate. the pick, yes. it's looking like one of the all-time busteroos. still can't blame portland.

da ThRONe
03-16-2012, 02:11 PM
I guess my understanding of what a "bust" is clearly differs from most in PSD. They guy had injury problems. I can't call somebody a "bust" who never got a shot due to injuries. Besides dudes still only 24. Who would have thought Bynum would be looking at a mustly healthy season in a condense year? Not only remain healthy, but have a career year.

SportsAndrew25
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Cannot blame Portland. You cannot predict a person's heath. Think of how different history would have been in the NBA if they picked Jordan in 1984 or Kevin Durant in 2007.

Muttman73
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Bust

koreancabbage
03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
I think he's a bust. #1 pick overall that didn't pan out, regardless of situation, is the definition of a bust (didn't even come close to living out his potential is probably the best to describe a bust - so either injury or lack of basketball IQ would lead to the same thing)

iliketurtles24
03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
y feel sorry for portland? they knew that oden and roy were injury prone, the blazers took the risk and it failed. simple

Pistol_Pete
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Greg Oden the man is not a bust. We've never been able to see what he can do when healthy. Unfortunately, that's not how you measure success. This is a guy they drafted first overall, over Durant, paid millions of dollars to...and he's barely played over 5 seasons. He's also had, what, 5 knee surgeries? He gets the same injury or similar injury every year. Even if he were to recover, that's not a good indication. Every single player picked in the 2007 draft would have had more value than Oden at this point.

You don't judge this on what could have or should have been, you judge this on what is. And by all accounts, Greg Oden is a bust.

tredigs
03-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Does it really matter what you call the situation? Either way you look at it, the NBA/fans and especially the Blazers are worse off for the string of injuries; not sure it makes a difference what the semantics of the 'bust' label are.

The pick was as big a bust as there has ever been, but that does not mean it was the wrong pick at the time (being that all but 1 of the GM's agreed with it proves as much). But we got to see what Oden could do in his very limited/young career, and I thought he showed that he was going to be hugely impactful. No doubt in my mind that was going to be a top 1-3 center throughout his career had he stayed healthy.

Swashcuff
03-16-2012, 03:21 PM
So tell me something if an NBA player is drafted in the top 3 plays one season has a year in which he was in contention for ROY and in the most unfortunate of circumstances were to have a career ending injury would he then be considered a bust as well? By that token of not playing enough games it should be the very same.

A poster said he's a bust by all accounts? What accounts exactly are you talking about? The guy hasn't gotten the chance to play. There is no other account to take into consideration but that.

RaiderKid318
03-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Who?

Aust
03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
As I thought and said, there are major opinions and feelings for both sides.

No need to scream at the OP because you feel so passionate about your side. :rolleyes:
Let's act with a bit more maturity

OA SLAY
03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
When a team drafts a player #1 they expect that player to have an impact and rely on him to move their franchise forward.
He has done neither, it's not like he was drafted tenth.
This issue isn't even debatable, yet stubborn people will continue to debate on the definition of BUST?
Hahaha women.

willabeast77
03-16-2012, 05:46 PM
It's never too late for him to prove the doubters wrong but for now he's a bust.

chitown85
03-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Man when the Raiders drafted Russel a few years back; I quite honestly thought they made a stupid decision (and I turned out to be right obviously). Inversely, with Oden...I thought that he was a sure bet; he has all of the physical attributes and defensive prowess to be a truly great center; and his unselfish play, highlighted his propensity to be humble (rare commodity in a highly lauded kid). I have been disappointed and amazed at the way it all played out; truth be told I was right; and they were right for drafting him when they did (hindsight is 20/20). His body just wasn't willing to go along for the ride to greatness. I would love to see G Oden get another shot and fill the shoes of his potential. Hell if he came cheap enough I would be all for the Bulls giving him some minutes in the rotation just because of his intangibles (imagine if he could actually stay healthy...). Did he fail expectations? Of course he did (not really logically debatable). But, is his window closed...not sure yet.