PDA

View Full Version : Southern Miss band insults Hispanic player during NCAA tourney

asandhu23
03-16-2012, 02:24 AM
(CNN) -- A university president apologized after members of a school's band yelled "where's your green card" at a Hispanic player during a NCAA basketball tournament game Thursday.
The incident was captured by television cameras and occurred during the Southern Miss and Kansas State game at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
As Kansas State point guard Angel Rodriguez shot free throws, several people can clearly be heard saying the green card chant.

Angel Rodriguez was subjected to a derogatory chant by members of the Southern Miss band during the NCAA tournament.
Rodriguez did not change his expression during the chants and helped push Kansas State to a victory by scoring 13 points.
Southern Miss president Martha Saunders issued an apology.
"We deeply regret the remarks made by a few students at today's game," Saunders said in a statement posted on the school's website. "The words of these individuals do not represent the sentiments of our pep band, athletic department or university. We apologize to Mr. Rodriguez and will take quick and appropriate disciplinary action against the students involved in this isolated incident."
The eighth-seeded Kansas State Wildcats beat the ninth-seeded Southern Miss Golden Eagles 70-64, knocking them out of the tournament.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/16/sport/ncaa-racism/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

:pity:

He's from Puerto Rico.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/southern-miss-band-chants-where-green-card-puerto-205326741.html

COOLbeans
03-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Horrible

LASportsFan1996
03-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Garbage

raiderposting
03-16-2012, 03:40 AM
i dont really care but how dumb for them to do that on a nationally televised game. probably going to get expelled just because they thought they were being cool.

BlueJayFanDan
03-16-2012, 06:05 AM
And yet again, racist douche bags continue to show why this country is so terrible.

Diewitdaknicks
03-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Sorry doesn't fix the lamp...

turnaround3
03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Yeah, it's all so horrible. What unconscionable young bigots.

Yet if the kid was Irish and they chanted something about alcoholism, something tells me it doesn't make CNN.

Was it dumb? Sure. Unnecessary? Yeah. News? Not at all.

dbroncos78087
03-16-2012, 08:53 AM

Yet if the kid was Irish and they chanted something about alcoholism, something tells me it doesn't make CNN.

Probably because those types of disparaging comments towards the Irish don't happen any more because there isn't a sizeable percentage of the population who still thinks its ok to say things like that to the Irish.

Hawkeye15
03-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Probably because those types of disparaging comments towards the Irish don't happen any more because there isn't a sizeable percentage of the population who still thinks its ok to say things like that to the Irish.

welcome to America, where racism is selective. Its only racism if you are of a certain race or culture.

aNYer
03-16-2012, 09:52 AM

Is it as cold and rainy in your made up world as it is in real life today? It wouldn't be a big deal if members of a university's band called an Irish player a drunk? Sure.

turnaround3
03-16-2012, 11:12 AM

:laugh2:

Yeah. That's it exactly.

MrfadeawayJB
03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
thats the best they could come up with!

dbroncos78087
03-16-2012, 11:26 AM
:laugh2:

Yeah. That's it exactly.

Well, why aren't people at Notre Dame games shouting how the Irish are all drunks? Because it is not culturally acceptable to do so. While there is a large segment of the population that thinks it is culturally acceptable to disparage Hispanic people. Especially in states like Mississippi.

Labgrownmangoat
03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
welcome to America, where racism is selective. Its only racism if you are of a certain race or culture.

Yeah, us white men sure do have it hard, being the victim all the time. . .err, I mean running every damn thing in sight, making more money for the same work, being arrested less often for the same behavior, and having political and economic power far beyond our numbers. Poor, poor us. Think any other group would refuse to trade places with us? Better yet, you want to trade places with a minority group so you can complain more effectively about discrimination?

Hawkeye15
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Yeah, us white men sure do have it hard, being the victim all the time. . .err, I mean running every damn thing in sight, making more money for the same work, being arrested less often for the same behavior, and having political and economic power far beyond our numbers. Poor, poor us. Think any other group would refuse to trade places with us? Better yet, you want to trade places with a minority group so you can complain more effectively about discrimination?

sure bud, that is exactly what I meant...

DodgerB24
03-16-2012, 11:37 AM
South :pity:

turnaround3
03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Well, why aren't people at Notre Dame games shouting how the Irish are all drunks? Because it is not culturally acceptable to do so. While there is a large segment of the population that thinks it is culturally acceptable to disparage Hispanic people. Especially in states like Mississippi.

Hah, you're kidding right?

Evidently you've never been to a road ND basketball game in your life. Granted, the bulk (not all, mind you) of the hateful chants are directed at Catholicism instead of Irish heritage, but I don't think that changes the point.

I already acknowledged that what this band did was not smart or necessary. I think that's a given. That said, if there's going to be a Yahoo news report every time college kids chant something inappropriate at an on-field/court player, you're going to have a hard time sifting through the national news on any given day to find anything else.

Again, it wasn't appropriate, it wasn't intelligent, but it also wasn't not commonplace. And for those that are "sickened" by it and everything else, grow up a little bit. If you ask the kid he'll probably tell you he wasn't the least bit fazed by it. When you're a college athlete you anticipate some level of hostility in road/neutral court games. And I'll say it one more time, that does not make what the kids in the band did okay or a good idea, but I'd also bet that over the course of his college career the kid has heard worse, just like any kid, of any race, on any team, likely has.

"Where's you green card?" That's what you people are flying off the deep end over? Please.

Sota4Ever
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Do you have stats for all the things you said? Or are you just throwing out random accusations? Also I would enjoy being a minority would get a lot more scholarships to pay for college...

dbroncos78087
03-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Do you have stats for all the things you said? Or are you just throwing out random accusations? Also I would enjoy being a minority would get a lot more scholarships to pay for college...

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882775.html

Sota4Ever
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Do all these people have the same experience, same education, same personalities, same traits??

Iodine
03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
BrittFarr must have been proud.

H-MYK
03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Just disgusting, but from where it came, I'm honestly not surprised.

SportsAndrew25
03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Messed up people. Fortunately most of America is not like this.

yanks19791024
03-16-2012, 04:15 PM
These are supposed college students. You would think by now some of this crap will already stop. So much hate in this world over what color or religion somebody is. Jeez!!!!

H-MYK
03-16-2012, 09:17 PM
These are supposed college students. You would think by now some of this crap will already stop. So much hate in this world over what color or religion somebody is. Jeez!!!!

Unfortunately, some people just don't know when to grow up and/or still think we live in the past. :pity:

valade16
03-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Do all these people have the same experience, same education, same personalities, same traits??

How improbable would it be for the white person to have a better education, more experience, and a better personality and traits than their minority counterpart that often?...

Answer: improbable to the point where your point is disproven.

homestarunner93
03-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Boo hoo. People need to stop being so sensitive.

Ovratd1up
03-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Boo hoo. People need to stop being so sensitive.

You ever experienced this type of thing, sir? Just curious.

flea
03-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah it's stupid but it's just some college kids acting dumb. I guarantee that PG didn't care. People in this thread are acting like it's unique to Mississippi or something but I've heard much, much worse from adults at other sporting events in places like Chicago, San Francisco, and Miami. I'm talking incessant n-bombs directed at players with black people nearby in the stands - all from grown men.

Some kids saying something stupid is hardly the end of the world. I'm sure most people in this thread have said something stupid (or, more likely, will at some point in the future because they're only 14).

metsfan4ever
03-17-2012, 11:15 AM
i hear it all the time, **** is sad.

turnaround3
03-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah it's stupid but it's just some college kids acting dumb. I guarantee that PG didn't care. People in this thread are acting like it's unique to Mississippi or something but I've heard much, much worse from adults at other sporting events in places like Chicago, San Francisco, and Miami. I'm talking incessant n-bombs directed at players with black people nearby in the stands - all from grown men.

Some kids saying something stupid is hardly the end of the world. I'm sure most people in this thread have said something stupid (or, more likely, will at some point in the future because they're only 14).

This. A million times this.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2012, 02:50 PM

I have. Who cares? Get over ignorance and stop being sensitive. If people are going to be extremely sensitive, they will fall into the victim card, which is your own damn fault.

You can choose your own words. Not others. If those others bother you, don't be around them.

bosox3431
03-17-2012, 10:47 PM

I'm white and I have. You know what makes people like that mad? Laugh at them when they say it. I worked the overnight shift in a grocery store in a predominantly black neighborhood. Herd the **** quite a few times. Best thing to do is ignore them or laugh in their face.

dbroncos78087
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
While I can't speak for anyone else here, but I am willing to state that no one on this forum has dealt with the true and unadulterated hate that comes from bigots like this. Even if it is just one person or a small group, we should not ignore them or write them off. We must speak out against hatred and bigotry at all levels or we have failed our citizenry.

I do get what you guys are saying, but I have to say that I disagree and we should do what we can to point out to these people just how far in the minority they are in.

bosox3431
03-17-2012, 11:28 PM
While I can't speak for anyone else here, but I am willing to state that no one on this forum has dealt with the true and unadulterated hate that comes from bigots like this. Even if it is just one person or a small group, we should not ignore them or write them off. We must speak out against hatred and bigotry at all levels or we have failed our citizenry.

I do get what you guys are saying, but I have to say that I disagree and we should do what we can to point out to these people just how far in the minority they are in.

Yea by ignoring them. By giving them exposure all you do is fuel them.

One day I was watching a special on the modern KKK on history channel. They were showing video of a rally at a courthouse they were at. 80% or so of the crowd was made of blacks there to argue with them. That's exactly what they want. If dumb ***** quit showing to argue with them , they have no reason to show up. People who give them the time of day are the same ones keeping them in existence.

dbroncos78087
03-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Yea by ignoring them. By giving them exposure all you do is fuel them.

One day I was watching a special on the modern KKK on history channel. They were showing video of a rally at a courthouse they were at. 80% or so of the crowd was made of blacks there to argue with them. That's exactly what they want. If dumb ***** quit showing to argue with them , they have no reason to show up. People who give them the time of day are the same ones keeping them in existence.

Sorry, but ignoring these groups didn't get rid of them. Groups organizing to bring attention to their radical and hateful desires is what has made a group like the KKK the outcasts they are today. Lets not pretend that ignoring and pretending they don't exist is what has made groups like the KKK marginal.

MackShock
03-17-2012, 11:47 PM
But when people say Jeremy Lin should be practicing violin, or studying, nobody cares.

DenButsu
03-17-2012, 11:49 PM

Now Tom said "Mom, wherever there's a cop beatin' a guy
Wherever a hungry newborn baby cries
Where there's a fight 'gainst the blood and hatred in the air
Look for me Mom I'll be there
Wherever there's somebody fightin' for a place to stand
Or decent job or a helpin' hand
Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free
Look in their eyes Mom you'll see me."

--Bruce (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKKpmbcSe5E)

(And RATM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMaCg4fpJKg))

theDOC
03-18-2012, 12:02 AM
And yet again, racist douche bags continue to show why this country is so terrible.

a couple kids say some racist stuff, and you have the guts to say something like that.

go try living in Vietnam in the 60s/70s when citizens had to worry about getting killed by their own people. go try living in Iraq when Hussein was in power. go try living in Germany or Poland as a Jew when Hitler rose to power.

the United States is the greatest country in the world. you saying that kids yelling racist remarks at someone makes this country "so terrible" is a testament to how spoiled and ungrateful you are.

theDOC
03-18-2012, 12:12 AM
also, I have no idea how kids saying racist stuff to another kid is news.

I got called the N word when I was a child and was threatened, and eventually had to move to a different school. grow a pair and get threw a couple kids being mean.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 01:01 AM

You sure about making that statement? I have been spit on by another race when I was a kid in basketball.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2012, 01:02 AM
If it offends you, get away from it. Stay away. Really, really easy.

DenButsu
03-18-2012, 01:53 AM
also, I have no idea how kids saying racist stuff to another kid is news.

I got called the N word when I was a child and was threatened, and eventually had to move to a different school. grow a pair and get threw a couple kids being mean.

It's news because it wasn't just one individual slinging out a slur in a heated moment. It was a thought-out, deliberate, organized chant done by a group that was attending in the capacity of official representatives of their school. (Maybe this could be called a difference between "2nd degree" and "1st degree" racism since this was premeditated?)

HOWE do i do it
03-18-2012, 02:06 AM
Ive been called a drunken irishman and a dumb polock. I dont care. Ive been the butt of white jokes with my black friends. I still dont care.

This is just a university doing a PR move. Smart, yep. Right, yep. But what was said is hardly news worthy.

HOWE do i do it
03-18-2012, 02:13 AM
It's news because it wasn't just one individual slinging out a slur in a heated moment. It was a thought-out, deliberate, organized chant done by a group that was attending in the capacity of official representatives of their school. (Maybe this could be called a difference between "2nd degree" and "1st degree" racism since this was premeditated?)

Yup. "Thought out" is the same as "several people". It's so easy for somebody to hear a chant and repeat it. I'm not condoning it, but you're acting like the band director had his whole group chant it.

DenButsu
03-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Yup. "Thought out" is the same as "several people". It's so easy for somebody to hear a chant and repeat it. I'm not condoning it, but you're acting like the band director had his whole group chant it.

Uh, actually no, I'm not. I never said anything like that.

If people are engaging in a chant, they're making a conscious decision to do so. It's not like saying "****!" when you stub your toe. You have time to make a choice.

These people chose to do something hateful and racist. The proper response is to condemn their behavior.

HOWE do i do it
03-18-2012, 02:22 AM
So 5 people saying it is the same as 40? A few people said it. Boo ****ing hoo.

Corey
03-18-2012, 02:27 AM
Stay classy, student sections. Stay classy.

DenButsu
03-18-2012, 02:33 AM
So 5 people saying it is the same as 40? A few people said it. Boo ****ing hoo.

So wbat's your point? That you approve?

HOWE do i do it
03-18-2012, 02:42 AM
So wbat's your point? That you approve?
Of course not. My point is this **** is way blown out of proportion. Just like any little issue is in this country. So next time somebody calls me a dumb Polack Ill be sure to make a big fuss out of it to gain sympathy from everybody.

metsfan4ever
03-18-2012, 11:30 AM
i remember one time homie told me that **** "where my green card and is your boat here" i sent that homie to the ER room me and my homie beat the **** outta him.

bosox3431
03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Seriously this gets moved to the college basketball forum?

But I find it funny people are criticizing people for grouping one set of people in with all the others then turn around and do the same thing in the same post. Bunch of hypocrites.

WoodandNails
03-18-2012, 08:48 PM

The first thing you said was correct, so I don't know why you went on and wrote the second part of that sentence anyway.

I'm sure plenty of people on this forum have experienced racism and many of those incidents were probably worse than this. This isn't "true and unadulterated" hate. It's out-of-line taunting at a basketball game. These fans were motivated by the same things that make Celtics fans boo the Lakers. They were just very ignorant in the way they chose to express themselves.

But I find it funny people are criticizing people for grouping one set of people in with all the others then turn around and do the same thing in the same post. Bunch of hypocrites.

Nothing kills your credibility as much as demonstrating you don't understand the problem with what you're speaking out against.

Labgrownmangoat
03-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Here is what I said, with numbers:

Yeah, us white men sure do have it hard, being the victim all the time. . .err, I mean 1. running every damn thing in sight, 2. making more money for the same work, 3. being arrested less often for the same behavior, and 4. having political and economic power far beyond our numbers. Poor, poor us. Think any other group would refuse to trade places with us? Better yet, you want to trade places with a minority group so you can complain more effectively about discrimination?

1. 15 of the 500 Fortune 500 CEOs are women. (http://www.usariseup.com/eyes-enterprise/cracking-plexi-glass-ceiling-2010-fortune-500-ceos-color) "Women CEOs are currently at the helm of only 3.5% of Fortune 500 corporations, while black CEOs occupy the chief-executive’s office as a mere 1% of the Fortune 500." Source. (http://www.executivepresencebook.com/2010/02/sex-race-and-diversity-in-corporate-leadership-and-the-perils-of-persnickety-perceptions/) The US Senate features 17 women, one hispanic man, one native american, one african american and a whole, whole lot of white men. Need I go on?

2. Women earn 77 cents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male%E2%80%93female_income_disparity_in_the_United _States)on the dollar in comparison to men. African Americans and Hispanics earn less than that (see chart at link above).

3. The majority of drug addicts are white, while the majority of those arrested for drug offenses are not. (http://www.alternet.org/rights/154286/whites_more_likely_to_be_drug_addicts_than_blacks_ so_why_do_racial_drug_stereotypes_persist?page=2)

4. See my links above in reference to corporate and government leaders.

I am happy to provide sources for my assertions. Are you now convinced?

DenButsu
03-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Of course not. My point is this **** is way blown out of proportion. Just like any little issue is in this country. So next time somebody calls me a dumb Polack Ill be sure to make a big fuss out of it to gain sympathy from everybody.

If Poles faced powerful, demonstrable discrimination in the U.S. and a similar incident happened, my reaction would be the same.

But you know that's not the case (nowadays), and that your analogy falls flat.

When people target a minority that faces real, evident prejudice on a continual basis, and attempt to create an atmosphere of fear and intimidation, and dehumanize them, condemnation, and not indifference, is the appropriate response.

Ovratd1up
03-20-2012, 01:58 AM
I have. Who cares? Get over ignorance and stop being sensitive. If people are going to be extremely sensitive, they will fall into the victim card, which is your own damn fault.

You can choose your own words. Not others. If those others bother you, don't be around them.

Obviously wasn't an option here...

I'm white and I have. You know what makes people like that mad? Laugh at them when they say it. I worked the overnight shift in a grocery store in a predominantly black neighborhood. Herd the **** quite a few times. Best thing to do is ignore them or laugh in their face.

Thing is, towards white people it usually is a whole nother brand of hatred, much less severe and easier to walk away from. I won't go in depth as to why, but you have an idea I'm sure...

Yes.

You sure about making that statement? I have been spit on by another race when I was a kid in basketball.

:laugh:

Hawkeye I really know that you're being sincere, but you have to take my word that, at least from what I gather from your posts, you don't know what it's like. You simply don't. There are certain ways of treating people, certain kinds of people, that in the emotions they strike don't come tangential to getting spit on by a kid in a pickup game... maybe I'm being pretentious here but it really seems as if you don't get it, which is harsh but necessary to say to express the sentiment on the other side of this argument.

Labgrownmangoat
03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Hawkeye I really know that you're being sincere, but you have to take my word that, at least from what I gather from your posts, you don't know what it's like. You simply don't. There are certain ways of treating people, certain kinds of people, that in the emotions they strike don't come tangential to getting spit on by a kid in a pickup game... maybe I'm being pretentious here but it really seems as if you don't get it, which is harsh but necessary to say to express the sentiment on the other side of this argument.

This is why I laugh every time I see someone assert that racism is dead in the US. People have no idea.